PDA

View Full Version : dog problems need help

u8dn
05-29-2007, 08:37 PM
ok... so i have a small dog which i keep on a leash at all times ... because isn't that the law? Well in my neighbourhood there are ALOT of big dogs whose owners feel it is ok to open up their doors and let them out to pee/play and the hang out outside and chat with the other big dog owners while their dogs run around the neighbourhood.

Well i feel trapped. I am afraid to go outside with my dog for a walk or to pee sometimes because as soon as i do (and this has happened twice this week already) two dogs run at us to "play" with my dog. Well my dog is one of those small dogs who isn't too happy about playing with other big dogs if you know what i mean and so she freaks out and meanwhile i am all nervous that these dogs are gonna get mad at my dog for being loud and attack her/us.

Also I like to tie her out on my small deck in the summer (i can see her the whole time) and let her enjoy the fresh air and outdoors...BUT i am afraid one or more of these dogs will run over an attack her while she is tied to my deck and that i won't get there in time. Something like that has already happened this past Sunday and the guy didn't even apologize.

What should i do? I am worried about complaining to my neighbours because will they really care? will they hate me? And don't even get me started on one of the guys who does not pick up after his dog at all! And she is a big lab! yuk!

can anyone give me advice? apart from locking myself and my dog in the house all summer?

Poppy
05-30-2007, 06:52 AM
First I would contact your local ACO or check your city by laws and see if these rules can be enforced. For certain breeds with the full series of predatory motor patterns and enhanced drives they "can" be dangerous with a small dog, especially if that small dog acts in what they see as strange behavior. If you don't feel like rocking the boat or possibly feel you may make bad feelings with your neighbors...here are some suggestions.

1. Get fencing for your dog, a physical barrier is your best defense. If you know someone who can put up the fencing then just buy the poles and chain link (down to the ground) from fundy fencing and have someone install it for you. It's the cost of the gates and the labour that is expensive...we just spent almost 10,000 on fencing...but, worth every penny.:D but, my biggest cost is the fact that I have 5 gates and had it installed professionally.

If you have a small enough area then why not go with privacy fencing, this way you will be assured there will be no fence fighting etc.

2. For the dogs running up to you perhaps carry a can with rocks in it and shake it at the dogs running up to you. If you feel threatened by the large dogs (beware of a dog that is stalking or holding its head down and staring)..I would carry pepper spray...first make sure it's legal as I've never checked into the by laws on this before. If the owners can't contain their dogs then you may as well make yourself and your dog unapproachable.

ceg
05-30-2007, 06:10 PM
One problem I've seen between big and small dogs interacting is that the small dogs usually are the first ones to become agressive.

If a dog comes over while you're walking yours then either pick yours up or if it becomes agressive tell her no. A lot of small dogs think they are bigger than they are and will attack first.

But if it's the other dogs that are agressive then all you can do is avoid them, get between them and your dog, or talk to the owners while walking your dog.

I would definitely suggest putting up fencing if you could when it comes to letting your dog outside without you right there.

harbourchick07
05-30-2007, 07:54 PM
Big dogs are a scary thing when walking a small dog. My friend lost her dog to the SPCA because a bigger dog attacked it while she wasn't home.
A fance is you best bet and get on under the ground to as dogs like to dig. Don't be afraid to confront the neighbors about their dogs. If you feel threatened by a big dog and you complain and they keep doing this then you have every right to go to the police or Animal Control.
We had to big Rotties down by me and together they were agrassive alone to. They went to attack a little girl that was waiting for her bus, The owner had no control over the dogs. The little girls Border Collie Shepard mix attacked the other two dogs, to protect her. All the comotion got the girls mom dad and brother down there. They basically had to bet the dogs to get them off of old George. The Rottie did kill him, and the owners of the dog told the people to get their dogs out of the faces and that the SPCA was going to be called. When they called them they came out, they showed them the dead sog ( i think he got a medal for being brave) and the biggest of the two dog, was put to sleep as he bite one of the officers when they got there. The other dog i am not sure about any more i havent seen him in a while.
I would talk to your neighbours and let them know how you feel.

u8dn
05-31-2007, 11:19 AM
Thanks Guys for being so supportive! I am will definately take your suggestions into consideration! I am tired of feeling trapped! So you are all right i need to do something!

Atchbe
05-31-2007, 11:52 AM
You might want to check on privacy fencing...I heard a rumor once that your neighbors are responsible for half the cost:confused: I'm probably way off on that idea, but, worth looking into.