PDA

View Full Version : Wound Vac?

Cherry Pop
05-29-2007, 09:31 AM
Anyone ever had to have one of these put in? This is something my doctors are thinking about doing with me. I would like to know if anyone has had this and what it was like to have it? Basically was it painful to have, hard to maintain, can you do normal daily living with it, did you have to go to the OR to have it put in or did extramural come to your house to replace them and most importantly did it benefit you? I have been given conflicting advice about this with my health professionals so I would perfer anyone who actually had one to respond. If you feel uncomfortable answering in this thread, can you please pm me. Thanks!

ja9#nbnet.nb.ca
05-29-2007, 12:44 PM
I work at the hospital, and have personally seen how this machine works, it sucks out any infection and the dressing does have to be changed but I am pretty sure that is something extra mural could do, and the lady who had it was not uncomfortable, and she wasn't all doped up either. I actually watched the changing of the dressing and I could not believe what I was seeing, it does an amazing job! and hey, if it'll help you and what ever it is the doctor wants to use it for than you should go for it! But that is just my opinion. I don't think it'll hold you up in your normal activities of daily living, a little inconvienient, but nothing you can't handle! good luck to ya in whatever decision you make.........Good Luck, and hope you get better soon, be well

Cherry Pop
05-30-2007, 08:00 AM
Thanks for your respond but I'm really looking for someone who personally had one. Seeing them on a patient and actually dealing with having one are two different things. I have been told that I would have to go to the OR to have mine put in should I decide to have one due to the area of my body where it would go. That's why I really like to chat with someone who has had one because they would know first hand what it is really like. Thanks again!