PDA

View Full Version : Football! MEN'S SOCCER TEAM

RobinHood
05-26-2007, 03:39 PM
As a soon to be English Expat - I am going to make every effort to become a "real" Canadian by following traditional sports ;) I'm willing to ditch cricket for following baseball and rugby for gridiron - but I'm going to find it difficult to swap football (*soccer) for ice hockey (hockey).

With this in mind - is there a decent *football team in the SJ area? I have seen UNB SJ Sea Wolves on Google - but are they any good to watch? Do they get decent crowds? Any advice welcomed.

--
RH.

crydaga
05-30-2007, 11:29 AM
As a soon to be English Expat - I am going to make every effort to become a "real" Canadian by following traditional sports ;) I'm willing to ditch cricket for following baseball and rugby for gridiron - but I'm going to find it difficult to swap football (*soccer) for ice hockey (hockey).

With this in mind - is there a decent *football team in the SJ area? I have seen UNB SJ Sea Wolves on Google - but are they any good to watch? Do they get decent crowds? Any advice welcomed.

--
RH.
Let's put it this way; You don't have to worry about getting trampled or crushed into a fence.

Seriously, I have never been to a soccer game. But the sport is growing around here. If it is anything like baseball and gridiron the crowds are small. UNBSJ may have a bigger crowd due to student support, even then it is probably like a couple of hundred. Our junior hockey draws the biggest crowd ,maybe 3500 to 4000 out of a possible 6000 seats. It's a small city support for sports is minimal.

PS I hope this helps and I only responded because nobody else has. Maybe someone who goes to soccer can reply soon. I say give hockey a chance that is where our crowd is,

RobinHood
06-01-2007, 12:47 PM
Cheers fella - I have every intention of giving hockey a try :)

I still can't believe Canucks root for other Canadian Teams when they reach the Stanley Cup Final! That's way too nice ;) In England - if a rival English team reaches a European Final (like my team Liverpool FC did against AC Milan last month) most of the non-Liverpool fans are itching for them to lose (which - sadly they did).

I am going to have to get rid of that tribalism lol.

But thanks again - I will check out the Sea Dogs and the Sea Wolves as soon as I'm settled.

--
RH

Let's put it this way; You don't have to worry about getting trampled or crushed into a fence.

Seriously, I have never been to a soccer game. But the sport is growing around here. If it is anything like baseball and gridiron the crowds are small. UNBSJ may have a bigger crowd due to student support, even then it is probably like a couple of hundred. Our junior hockey draws the biggest crowd ,maybe 3500 to 4000 out of a possible 6000 seats. It's a small city support for sports is minimal.

PS I hope this helps and I only responded because nobody else has. Maybe someone who goes to soccer can reply soon. I say give hockey a chance that is where our crowd is,

fullprop
06-13-2007, 03:29 PM
And you won't have to give up on Rugby.

We have 2 clubs in the city that play. My club, the Trojans (www.trojansrfc.com) fields teams in the Aliant Premier division. Clubs include us, Fredericton, 2 from Halifax and 2 from St John's NFld, as well as play in the NB premier division.
Our 2nd XV are reigning maritime champs.
We also have a competitive woman's side

The other club is the Saint John Canadians. They field a team in the 2nd division and an exibition womans team.

Our unions website is www.nbru.ca.

We always like to have some fans ou and about for sure. Definatly nowhere near what you'd be use to seeing over there, buts its not too bad to get out and see on a saturday until November.