PDA

View Full Version : homeless people

cuddles2007
05-17-2007, 02:41 PM
I was at zellers north end today buying my son an outfit . talking to a friend. as i walked out the door there was this man outside asking people for money because he was homeless and didnt have any money for food. This older woman told him off. some guy gave him a penny and laughed at him. i thoguht it was sad i went to timmys and bought him a bagel . i wont give people like that money because i dont know if they are crack heads (sorry i worded wrong the first time)

blue_brat_baby
05-17-2007, 02:44 PM
now you just generalized all homeless people as half them being crack heads. and your telling people not to judge you. Think about it.

dittydottie
05-17-2007, 02:46 PM
you did the right thing by getting him something to eat. Wish there were more people like you willing to help out but yet still not giving money for any habits they may have.(liquor,drugs etc)

t_s_cb
05-17-2007, 02:53 PM
now you just generalized all homeless people as half them being crack heads. and your telling people not to judge you. Think about it.

So true..

ASortaSweetart
05-17-2007, 06:54 PM
I agree you did the right thing by buying him food instead of giving him money.

mizunderstood
05-17-2007, 08:22 PM
agreed u did the right thing by buying him food, however do not sterotype people as crack heads just cause they are homeless... might just be down on his luck right now and cant get welfare to help him!

cuddles2007
05-17-2007, 08:46 PM
No, i know his guy from uptown. i've seen him a bunch of times. he used to live in the rooming houses uptown. He is a crack head . i think he has a drinking problem too. My friends moms sister is on crack and im more than postive he was one of her "buddies". i know lots of people who have a nice house , a family an still bum for money

T4
05-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Have you ever seen the commercial of the percentage of homeless people That live in todays society. There could be people that you work with everyday, that don't have a "home" to call there own. I agree with not lumping everyone that is down on their luck as a "crackhead".

I too have given people that are asking for money "something" as a matter of fact there was a man outside the Tim Horton's on the drive thru side (not as dumb as we think, lol) he in his own language asks for some change. My daughter encouraged me to pass him some change. I did. She said to me "thanks mom." And said that she too, has given change to someone that asked for it, and she said too, that it has always made her wonder "how" that person got there, to be doing what they are.

trinity
05-18-2007, 03:35 AM
Not a cent, not a coffee, not even a sideways glance will they ever get from me. I don't care why they are like that, they can get help, even if it is just the soup kitchen. Living in Vancouver was a real eye-opener, the nonstop endlessly creative sob stories, people coming up to you 10 times in a block.... and when I moved back, my generosity didn't move back with me. And if I ever got anything near to being like that, I hope someone would put a bullet in my head and put me out of my misery once and for all.

redsheila2006
05-18-2007, 08:52 AM
I can't beleive that our society would sit back and be very unfeeling to those less fortunate than us. That is what is wrong with our world we lost our HEART!!!!! To the lady that told the Homeless man off, and to the man that laughed in his face Shame on you. You never know what the future has in store for you. Cuddles you did the right thing because even though you didn't give him money you did something better you gave him food and showed him that we are not all cruel and mean and that there are good people out there. Here is a song that says it all.

SITE MENU
Request Lyrics/Tabs
Add/Correct Lyrics
Recommended Links
MERCHANDISE
Country Music CDs
Country Posters
Country Sheet Music
WE RECOMMEND
Top 50 Lyrics
More Tablatures
Newest Lyrics
Medical encyclopedia
More Song Lyrics
Absolute Lyrics
Lyrics
Song Lyrics

SONG LYRICS
Wills Mark Lyrics,
Mark Wills Song Lyrics

[ More Wills Mark Lyrics | More Mark Wills Song Lyrics ]
Looking for Wills Mark Chords/Tabs? Please, browse alphabet (above).
Artist/Band: Wills Mark
Lyrics for Song: Don't Laugh At Me
Lyrics for Album: Greatest Hits
I'm a little boy with glasses
The one they call the geek
A little girl who never smiles
'Cause I've got braces on my teeth
And I know how it feels
To cry myself to sleep

I'm that kid on every playground
Who's always chosen last
A single teenage mother
Tryin' to overcome my past
You don't have to be my friend
But is it too much to ask

Don't laugh at me
Don't call me names
Don't get your pleasure from my pain
In God's eyes we're all the same
Someday we'll all have perfect wings
Don't laugh at me

I'm the cripple on the corner
You've passed me on the street
And I wouldn't be out here beggin'
If I had enough to eat
And don't think I don't notice
That our eyes never meet

I lost my wife and little boy when
Someone cross that yellow line
The day we laid them in the ground
Is the day I lost my mind
And right now I'm down to holdin'
This little cardboard sign...so

Don't laugh at me
Don't call me names
Don't laugh at me

I'm fat, I'm thin, I'm short, I'm tall
I'm deaf, I'm blind, hey, aren't we all

Don't laugh at me
Don't call me names
Don't laugh at me

pale rider
05-18-2007, 09:01 AM
"Not a cent, not a coffee, not even a sideways glance will they ever get from me. I don't care why they are like that, they can get help, even if it is just the soup kitchen. Living in Vancouver was a real eye-opener, the nonstop endlessly creative sob stories, people coming up to you 10 times in a block.... and when I moved back, my generosity didn't move back with me. And if I ever got anything near to being like that, I hope someone would put a bullet in my head and put me out of my misery once and for all"

it seems to me that all i ever hear is negativity. things in our society are not perfect but nothing will change by complaining. get of your high and mighty butts and do somthing. volunteer your time to help, donate to charity or get of your duff and get a job to pay taxes so that our government can better fund the orginizations that do help.if you don't like the way society is, then work to change it.it's the people who don't contribute to society that seem to complain the most. in my opinion they they don't have the right.

redsheila2006
05-18-2007, 09:05 AM
This is even a better song about a homeless man and the life he lived. If onlt those two crude prople could see this video and see that that Homeless people are people too!!!! Not everybody ask or wants to be homeless!!!

MOMENTS)

I was coming to the end of a long long walk
When a man crawled out of a cardboard box
Under the E. Street Bridge
Followed me on to it
I went out halfway across
With that homeless shadow tagging along
So I dug for some change
Wouldn't need it anyway
He took it lookin' just a bit ashamed
He said, You know, I haven't always been this way

I've had my moments, days in the sun
Moments I was second to none
Moments when I knew I did what I thought I couldn't do
Like that plane ride coming home from the war
That summer my son was born
And memories like a coat so warm
A cold wind can't get through
Lookin' at me now you might not know it
But I've had my moments

I stood there tryin' to find my nerve
Wondering if a single soul on Earth
Would care at all
Miss me when I'm gone
That old man just kept hanging around
Lookin' at me, lookin' down
I think he recognized
That look in my eyes
Standing with him there I felt ashamed
I said, You know, I haven't always felt this way

Like the day I walked away from the wine
For a woman who became my wife
And a love that, when it was right,
Could always see me through
But I've had my moments

I know somewhere 'round a trashcan fire tonight
That old man tells his story one more time
He says

Like that cool night on the E. Street Bridge
When a young man almost ended it
I was right there, wasn't scared a bit
And I helped to pull him through
Oh, lookin' at me now you might not know it
But I've had my moments

[

Cherry Pop
05-18-2007, 09:22 AM
Honestly what is wrong with people on here. They love to bash people on "welfare" and now they are bashing the Homeless! People seem to have no heart on here. I say good for you cuddles you did the right thing. I've bought food and coffee's for homeless people before as well. I know what they are going through as a few years ago I was homeless for a little while. I was lucky as I had good friends who took me in at that time but not everyone does.

livnlern
05-18-2007, 09:23 AM
redsheila2006,very well said if more people were to have the same thoughts the world would be a better place by far.
None of us know what is in store for us and our future only the man upstairs does .Our borrowed time here on earth is too short to be condemning others.Treat people as you would want to be treated.Everyone has a story to tell if they were given half a chance.

cuddles2007 you did a wonderful thing for the man ,I am sure he appreciated it more than you know.You fed him rather than his habit (providing he has one)

redsheila2006,the songs you posted are real eye openers

girdy
05-18-2007, 10:26 AM
The one and only time I gave to someone in Saint John with his hand out, was a guy with a sob story that he didn't have change for the bus and needed to get home for his medication. And the same lazy (insert expletive here) was sitting on his fat ass on the same bench the next day with his hand out again.

Unfortunately when you or I give money to someone on the street, we have no way of knowing whether they need it, and unless you buy them something to eat, no way of knowing what money is going to be spent on.

I think the best way of dealing with this if you're in a charitable mindset, is give the money directly to those organizations who are helping feed and house the homeless. That's money better spent.

pale rider
05-18-2007, 11:13 AM
good for you girdy

The one and only time I gave to someone in Saint John with his hand out, was a guy with a sob story that he didn't have change for the bus and needed to get home for his medication. And the same lazy (insert expletive here) was sitting on his fat ass on the same bench the next day with his hand out again.

Unfortunately when you or I give money to someone on the street, we have no way of knowing whether they need it, and unless you buy them something to eat, no way of knowing what money is going to be spent on.

I think the best way of dealing with this if you're in a charitable mindset, is give the money directly to those organizations who are helping feed and house the homeless. That's money better spent.

cuddles2007
05-18-2007, 01:46 PM
Listen i never started this thread for people to "bash " homeless people! i put it on here because i think its sad the way some people treat the homeless. I find alot of people "bash" homeless people. if your gonna bash people on my thread dont enter a post!!

trinity
05-18-2007, 03:30 PM
I do give to charities that help the homeless, emphasis on "help" because you are NOT helping them by encouraging them to continue that lifestyle. You are NOT helping them by funding their next fix. Even giving them food only reinforces their misguided notion that their life is OK. I give regularly to the SA, Romero house, and Covenant House in Toronto. I put canned goods in the box for the food bank or make that $2 donation at the cashier at the grocery store. Think about this: If Absolutely No One gave them a cent for a day or two, they might begin to rethink their life choices and be willing to get real help, be willing to abide by the SA's rules so they could stay there etc etc.

ceg
05-18-2007, 04:43 PM
I had someone ask me for money uptown one day, I didn't have any so I couldn't give it to him. The next day I saw him coming out of a car.

I'm glad I didn't give him money cause he obviously had no intention of using it for anything worth while.

I'll stick with donating to charities and seeing that they use the money properly.

Freudian
05-19-2007, 05:28 PM
There are many charities in the world. With so many of them, why are there still people without jobs, without homes, without jobs that fit their education or experience?

It's obvious to me that charities may be good at raising money, but are they good at using it someplace that will really help people?

I'm scared to give money to charities because I don't think they're making proper use of the funds. I'm scared to give money to people who ask on the street because you honestly don't know their situation.

for months I had someone come right up to my window at the somerset street 4-way intersection coming from paradise row and turning left onto the overpass. They asked me to roll down my window and then they asked for money. I say sorry and she left. Looked like she was either really hurtin or she was on something, but I really don't know. She came up to me many more times over a few months and one of those times she said she was going for "Toonies Only" now.

There are probably 100 reasons why someone would beg for money and probably only a few instances where the people asking for money really need it legit.

I wish no one was homeless or w/o work. That won't happen in our society. There has to be a driving force for people to better themselves and looking at those who are less fortunate and neve wanting to be like them keeps alot of people from giving up in life. We must all press on.

Hopefully there really is a place for homeless to go for a meal and shelter. This is a harsh climate to no have shelter.

Well those are my thoughts.

Cheers.

rubycshells
05-19-2007, 05:39 PM
There are many people who are homeless due to them losing their support system. When governments closed down health care facilities such as psychiatric hospitals and group homes, the people that lived in these facitilites were sent to the streets. Usually over half of homeless people have some type of psychiatric disorder that leaves them not being able to cope without some type of structured and supervised living.

I don't believe that most people who are homeless are there by choice.

ChelorSean
05-19-2007, 09:17 PM
the thing i hate the most about the homeless or bums are the bums are out there that make 1000 dollars or more a day and the homeless are just happy to get a coffee and a bagel the only difference is which one is living the high life and which one is living the low life i have heard and seen people driving nice cars parking down at harbour station and walking uptown looking like bums and asking for money if you think about it how many people give a dollar or 2 times that by a 100 people

trinity
05-19-2007, 09:53 PM
Work overnight shifts like I have for 7 of the past 10 years, live in Vancouver for half a year, and have seen what I have seen, then you would see why I take the stand I do. I stand firm, I will not support these people financially or emotionally in any way, shape, or form. You daytime people have no clue what goes on at night, that tall skinny guy who begs for money for lunch uptown? He used to come into my work (until we tore out the pay phones) and ask us to take change and give him bills, then get on the phone 6 feet away and set up a delivery from his dealer. Dealers don't take small change, FYI. He doesnt want your food, he wants crack. I even had him come into work a couple of times and try to sell us food, so that's where your "kind" gift of chips and soft drinks goes. Mikey Long (the big guy on the bench) doesn't need bus fare or a soft drink for his "diabetes"- he has a place to live where they do feed him, just not as much junk food as he would like, and what you give him is why he was so huge. If they couldn't get money or lunch from the soft hearted/soft headed, they would be forced to do something with their life before it is completely wasted. I even saw the same kids who one year begged for money at intersections here in Saint John out in Vancouver, with the same signs, it was very hard to mistake the very tall, heavyset boy with the mohawk, I recognized his jacket too from all the times I kicked him out of our stairs.

paak
05-20-2007, 04:26 PM
What do you think would make more of an impact on a homeless person? (1) Walking by them with your nose in the air; (2) Throwing them a few small coins; or (3) Stopping briefly and taking a genuine interest in their well being(even a simple "Hi, how are things today?")

Chances are that regardless of what you do (or don't do), you will have a negligible effect on life in their world. But what they will remember are the people who were empathetic - the ones that didn't look down on them and judge...Ignoring them, laughing at them, cursing at them will most certainly not inspire them to change, it merely reinforces their circumstances. If a parent does that same thing to a child its borderline abuse...

Ponder this - A single word/action can push a person over the edge, or start them on their journey back - which would you rather be responsible for?

maggie_sj
05-23-2007, 10:05 PM
Every time I see a homeless person I think of this song that I heard. ___

This homeless guy asked me for money the other day.
I was about to give it to him and then I thought he was going to use it on drugs or alcohol.
And then I thought, that's what I'm going to use it on.
Why am I judging this guy?
People love to judge homeless guys. Like if you give them money they're just going to waste it.
Well, he lives in a box, what do you want him to do? Save it up and buy a wall unit? Take a little run to the store for a throw rug and a CD rack? He's homeless.
I walked behind this guy the other day.
A homeless guy asked him for money.
He looks right at the homeless guy and says why don't you go get a job you bum.
People always say that to homeless guys like it is so easy.
This homeless guy was wearing his underwear outside his pants.
Outside his pants. I'm guessing his resume isn't all up to date.
I'm predicting some problems during the interview process.
I'm pretty sure even McDonalds has a "underwear goes inside the pants" policy.
Not that they enforce it really strictly, but technically I'm sure it is on the books.

Rickster
05-24-2007, 09:19 PM
Are you guys ever narrow-minded, only in the sense that your looking at the younger people out there that are homeless, in comparision to the older people that are in the same situation as these younger punks. I have no sympathy for these guys standing around corners or running out to the cars in the summer making your windsheild worst than it was and then asking to be paid for this service. WOW, Wake up and smell the roses !,lol. These 'poor kids' that once they became teen-agers, all of a sudden by some miraculous power, knew it all and could no way have any one now tell them what to do or when they can come and go at home or have any type of rules set upon them. Yea,all of a sudden it's the old ,"you don't know what your talking about !" or "yea,whatever." and then walk out while your still talking to them on a serious nature. Yea, here's the ones that know it all and quit school once they found out they were even smarter than their Teachers. So,now ,here's the little 'Buggers'(not what I really want to call them)are on the street looking for handouts and sympathy from the same type of people that they Curse,look down on,Rebel against, and sometimes even steal from(not all, but some.) !. You make your bed,you lie in it. Most of the times they only need to go home and say they are Sorry but don't even have the Decency to do that or are just so stubborn to do even that, or, they may even think that they are 'teaching their parents a lesson' or ,lol,punishing them. Let them learn Life's Lesson the hard way as sometimes (for a few) it may wake them up!!! Know some of these guys myself,even relatives, so I know what I'm talking about !

seadog2006
05-27-2007, 02:41 AM
Panhandling should be illegal. I'm sorry but a lot of the more aggressive panhandlers around the city are looking for crack and that's all. I'd like to see the public stop falling for their sob stories and donate their spare change to the United Way or Romero House.

tred816
05-27-2007, 08:11 PM
There are many charities in the world. With so many of them, why are there still people without jobs, without homes, without jobs that fit their education or experience?

It's obvious to me that charities may be good at raising money, but are they good at using it someplace that will really help people?

You can only help those who want to help themselves. Charities like Romero House have mobiles in the winter/cooler months where they drive around passing out hot beverages and blankets to the homeless. They aren't always able to provide shelter and if it were long term, it would be abused.
They do what they can. But anymore than that and they would be enabling them.

care1978
05-27-2007, 08:26 PM
[quote=trinity;101089]Not a cent, not a coffee, not even a sideways glance will they ever get from me. I don't care why they are like that, they can get help, even if it is just the soup kitchen

you do realize that in order to get income assistance you need an address, and in order to get an address you need money. some people dont have family they can rely on for support. there are people out there that are in a hard way for whatever reason, but why not show them some support, or if you know of somewhere they could go and get the help they need tell them, perhaps they arent aware. some people are just in ruts and they need someone "positive" to help them get back on their feet and let them know they "can" do it.

I dont understand how a lot of people can be so uncaring for the human race.( i mean people in general) one day it could be them and then they will wish they had a bit more compassion.

jennifer25ca2006
05-27-2007, 08:54 PM
I know my self when I was in high school I was standing outside the mall uptown and I was drinking an orange juice and I set it down on top of the garbage can to light a cigarette and a man came right up and started drinking it, I never said a world cause I knew that he needed it more then I did. I see that man to this day doing the exact same thing digging through garbages. But this man is different he stays at the salvation army and he does not have a job he also does not bum for moeny. I make an effort any time that I do see him to get him something to eat and drink if I can. I know that you say give to charity blah blah blah. If he could do something with his life he would have. I know cause I have talked to him plenty of times. He has tried countless times to get employment. No one will hire him because of the fact that he is homeless with no physical address. He is one of the most wonderful men you would ever meet in your life. Please don't bash homeless people and have a heart. The way that I see it is I could be like that someday. You never know what your life is going to bring you. So treat other people the eay you want to be treated.

jennifer25ca2006
05-27-2007, 09:08 PM
Pandhandling is illegal and what they will give youfor panhandling in front of a business uptown is a fine. lol a fine. If this person is uptoen asking for money what is the point of giving them the fine. They are going to be uptown bumming for money to pay that fine. lol

MrsBeasley
05-28-2007, 12:48 AM
Work overnight shifts like I have for 7 of the past 10 years, live in Vancouver for half a year, and have seen what I have seen, then you would see why I take the stand I do. I stand firm, I will not support these people financially or emotionally in any way, shape, or form. You daytime people have no clue what goes on at night, that tall skinny guy who begs for money for lunch uptown? He used to come into my work (until we tore out the pay phones) and ask us to take change and give him bills, then get on the phone 6 feet away and set up a delivery from his dealer. Dealers don't take small change, FYI. He doesnt want your food, he wants crack. I even had him come into work a couple of times and try to sell us food, so that's where your "kind" gift of chips and soft drinks goes. Mikey Long (the big guy on the bench) doesn't need bus fare or a soft drink for his "diabetes"- he has a place to live where they do feed him, just not as much junk food as he would like, and what you give him is why he was so huge. If they couldn't get money or lunch from the soft hearted/soft headed, they would be forced to do something with their life before it is completely wasted. I even saw the same kids who one year begged for money at intersections here in Saint John out in Vancouver, with the same signs, it was very hard to mistake the very tall, heavyset boy with the mohawk, I recognized his jacket too from all the times I kicked him out of our stairs.

That took me back 20 or so years to high school where a certain pair of girls (have no idea what's become of them today) used to bum money every day for three years. They would manage between the two to get something for lunch and a pack of ciggarettes to split afterschool.

trinity
05-28-2007, 03:12 AM
My personal experiences have suggested that doing the above deeds has little or no effect. As some of you have experienced, you can offer someone a home and they will prefer to go back to the street. Other people are faking it, having a home and deciding to beg to supplement an income or find it is easier than working. If you feel you can tell the real homeless from the other, please share your discernment ability with the rest of us. My mission, if I can call it that, is to educate people in the act of conscious giving, of being aware of where your dollars are going, to be sure that they are having the intended effect, and to encourage people to choose the most effective means of donating. I want to stop the mindless "pity party" or guilt driven " I have so much" mind set, and the doom n gloom of "it could be me some day." It will never be me, because I would be dead rather than not work, and I am not addicted to anything and I never will be, at 37 I don't see any new temptations coming my way, since I've never so much as smoked a single cigarette.
I want people to understand that the most innocent, clean looking people are on drugs or are providing for someone who is. Unless the food item you give them is perishable and you watch them actually start eating it, they are selling it for drug money. I want people to stop enabling these people in their downward spiral. Stop funding their habit directly or indirectly- the money they dont have to spend on food goes for alcohol or drugs. Stop making them feel "better", as long as they can lie to themselves and fool themselves into thinking that their life is going ok, they will not have any incentive to do any better. It is not heartless, and if I should fall upon hard times I would expect to get nothing, which is what I would deserve if I chose to stay unemployed, chose to not get mental health help, chose to refuse to follow rules, chose to use drugs, etc.

jennifer25ca2006
05-28-2007, 04:53 AM
umm you are sitting there and stereo typing anyone that is one the street and homeless. You know not all homeless people are drug addicts and alchoolics. I know a few that have no addiction at all. Do not bum for a thing. You sit here and say dont have pity on any one blah blah blah. you should be ashmed of yourself to sit there and think that every homelss person is a drug addict or alchoolic. You do not know them and you are judging them. Judge yourself before you judge someone else.

trinity
05-28-2007, 07:39 AM
I'm sorry, I thought this thread was started about people begging for money, not those that don't. If you are homeless and leave people alone and don't ever ask anyone for money, great! I just like to point out that some of them are fooling some of you, and if you think you are helping by giving them money, then there are two people fooling themselves.

T4
05-28-2007, 12:33 PM
Today my children, our pets and I will become homeless at the end of the month. The hydro bill is $2868.66, it has been disconnected as of this morning. Anyone that has followed my bout with SJ Energy knows the situation. Briefly, I am renting an apartment where the heat has been as much as $756.00, and we weren't warm. I believe that I am providing heat and electricity along with the hot water to the tenants above me. I trusted my landlord when he said things would be fixed. They haven't been and have bee told my SJ Energy, that there is nothing in place for the Energy Adviser to come in and assess the situation. I am at a loss as to what to do. I work full-time and it seems that I am getting no where!! If ANYONE knows of a place where they allow children and pets...please contact me. My number is 639-6414. I am using a friends computer and will not be able to check until later.

Cherry Pop
05-28-2007, 12:58 PM
umm you are sitting there and stereo typing anyone that is one the street and homeless. You know not all homeless people are drug addicts and alchoolics. I know a few that have no addiction at all. Do not bum for a thing. You sit here and say dont have pity on any one blah blah blah. you should be ashmed of yourself to sit there and think that every homelss person is a drug addict or alchoolic. You do not know them and you are judging them. Judge yourself before you judge someone else.

There is alot of sterotyping and judgemental people on this site. Haven't you read by now?! It's useless to argue with them as I have learned. People who sterotype others are too set in their ways to even try to be open-minded. Some things to not mention if you don't want to read judgemental crap is homelessness, religion, taxes, and most of all income assistance aka "welfare".

christine chittick
05-28-2007, 01:22 PM
Today my children, our pets and I will become homeless at the end of the month. The hydro bill is $2868.66, it has been disconnected as of this morning. Anyone that has followed my bout with SJ Energy knows the situation. Briefly, I am renting an apartment where the heat has been as much as $756.00, and we weren't warm. I believe that I am providing heat and electricity along with the hot water to the tenants above me. I trusted my landlord when he said things would be fixed. They haven't been and have bee told my SJ Energy, that there is nothing in place for the Energy Adviser to come in and assess the situation. I am at a loss as to what to do. I work full-time and it seems that I am getting no where!! If ANYONE knows of a place where they allow children and pets...please contact me. My number is 639-6414. I am using a friends computer and will not be able to check until later.

I know it will be a struggle - but enough is enough! Try to find a way to prove that you're bill shouldn't be that high. Have you called a building inspector?? There has to be something you can do about this! And when you do find out that you have been paying for someone elses electricity - sue the landlord. If you are paying for the hot water, check and see if you are paying the rental fee for the hot water heater - and see if there is more than one. That itself will prove that you are paying more. How many meters are attached to your building? There should be as many meters as there are apartments - even look at them to make sure ALL the meters are spinning around. Write down the number on each of the meter clock thingy's and check it every week or so. If the landlord has promised to fix the situation -then he readily admitted that there is someone using the electricity other than you!

T4
05-28-2007, 03:05 PM
I just came down from the building. I let the hot water run until it went cold. Guess what, in asking the other tenants...they have NO hot water!! I am guessing to that they don't have electricity in some of their outlets. I am getting no where with getting any help. It was suggested to me that maybe I get my dogs to stay with someone. They are my beautiful Rotteweilers and not everyone wants them around. I also have 2 cats and two kids...where would someone put us all?? LOL. I have tried to reach the landlord and no luck.
I feel like pulling my hair out!! I have called everyone that I can think of regarding the "government" side of things, trying to get it right...It's now 4 pm and guess what.....we are still in the "dark"

girdy
05-28-2007, 03:48 PM
I just came down from the building. I let the hot water run until it went cold. Guess what, in asking the other tenants...they have NO hot water!! I am guessing to that they don't have electricity in some of their outlets. I am getting no where with getting any help. It was suggested to me that maybe I get my dogs to stay with someone. They are my beautiful Rotteweilers and not everyone wants them around. I also have 2 cats and two kids...where would someone put us all?? LOL. I have tried to reach the landlord and no luck.
I feel like pulling my hair out!! I have called everyone that I can think of regarding the "government" side of things, trying to get it right...It's now 4 pm and guess what.....we are still in the "dark"

I'd suggest trying:
http://app.infoaa.7700.gnb.ca/gnb/pub/DetailOrgEng1.asp?OrgID1=1469&DeptID1=45

girdy
05-28-2007, 04:29 PM

My other recommendation, is, let the other tenants freeze and go without hot water and lights tonight. They'll be your witnesses, and they'll beat your landlord up for you.

And tell your (scum slum) landlord that

1. he is to immediately pay off your Saint John energy account,
2. that he is required to clear your name with Saint John energy,
3. that the unit is to be put in his name and is his responsibility to pay for until he has a letter from a certified electrical inspector that the building has been rewired (at his cost).
4. At that point, you'll assume responsibility for your electric bill by putting that unit back in your (cleared) name.

If he doesn't do that tonight, call the paper and CBC in the morning and he can explain on tomorrow nights news how he has screwed you over.

T4
05-28-2007, 05:02 PM
I plan on calling someone and making some sort of noise. I just can't believe that I was that "gullible" to go on what a landlord told me. I will NEVER rent a place again when I have to pay the heat and lights. I am bailing out of this money pit as soon as I can. I don't care if I have to beg, borrow or sell anything that I have that is worth any value...we are getting out!! Maybe I can start some kind of group of advocates so that other people don't have to go through all of this crap. Maybe then at least there would be information that may help!!

Oh, and if any of the other tenants that live in my building are reading this forum...sorry for the inconvenience...hopefully it will be fixed soon!! Just not by ME.

NoseToTheGrind
05-28-2007, 09:25 PM
That is the only way, I had to prove one time that i was paying for another apartments electricity, all I did was shut off my power at the main breaker...and guess what, power went out in TWO apartments, not all but some outlets, light fixtures...the stoves....so that can happen ..I really feel bad when landlords know this and unsuspecting tenants move in....the landlords HAVE to know...there is no way of them NOT knowing really...I'm sure people have told them before their power bills seemed kinda high.

sanstu
05-28-2007, 09:58 PM
I plan on calling someone and making some sort of noise. I just can't believe that I was that "gullible" to go on what a landlord told me. I will NEVER rent a place again when I have to pay the heat and lights. I am bailing out of this money pit as soon as I can. I don't care if I have to beg, borrow or sell anything that I have that is worth any value...we are getting out!! Maybe I can start some kind of group of advocates so that other people don't have to go through all of this crap. Maybe then at least there would be information that may help!!

Oh, and if any of the other tenants that live in my building are reading this forum...sorry for the inconvenience...hopefully it will be fixed soon!! Just not by ME.

Contact the building inspector for the city of Saint John asap. He will come out and inspect the property. He will help. Good luck.

T4
05-28-2007, 10:02 PM
So NTTG, what did you do about your situation? What did the landlord do?

Lillovebug
07-16-2007, 02:00 PM
I do agree that you did the right thing by buying him something to eat. I remember as a young kid going to the city market and Popeye would be up there asking for money, almost every time he asked my mother, she would take him to Verns bakery and let him pick out whatever he wanted:)
Anyway, as far as welfare goes, its pretty sad that a single person in SJ will only get $267 a month for welfare, that will barely get you a room in the rooming houses on Carmarthen Street :S, and ppl wonder why there is so much homelessness, where are these ppl supposed to go? If they spend their whole check on a place to sleep then they wont eat so they might end up stealing, unfortunately the food banks, and soup kictches, and the chaplicny can only do so much for so many ppl. The government needs to step up and give these ppl a hand other than a measly $267 check.

wookiee
07-16-2007, 03:49 PM

Maybe not crack heads, but most have a drug problem pal. I know most of them and they do have a major drug problem. So she is pretty much right, they are. But regardless, she did a thoughtful thing so instead of criticizing her post, give her credit for what she did. Think about it!