PDA

View Full Version : Smoking bylaw's in Saint John

Rick
05-16-2007, 04:31 PM
I am wondering what the bylaw is on people smoking at entrances to malls,hospitals,etc?
I have recently had a heart attack and one thing they tell you when discharged from the hospitial is not to be near second hand smoke.
I am not sure how you can avoid it at places such as Prince Edward Square,where you have to walk thru a wall of smoke at the main entrance from people smoking on both sides of the doors.
If they are going to have bylaws they should enforce them and make people responsable for there actions in public.

Crystalbeach
05-16-2007, 04:44 PM
It's awful...and the stink stays on you forever!
and I was a long time smoker..had no idea how bad it smelled.

rhiley_08j
05-16-2007, 04:53 PM
Come on, are you kidding me? Do you really think that the 5 seconds it takes you to walk by a smoker, who by the way is smoking outside, is going to kill you? When they talk about second hand smoke they are refering to being around it on a continual basis. They same goes for any prolonged exposure to carcinogens. There is a whole list of carcinogens that either through prolonged exposure or immediate exposure can kill you or have detrimental affects to your health. Second-hand smoke is very low on that scale.

Chinna Dah
05-16-2007, 05:06 PM
Come on, are you kidding me? Do you really think that the 5 seconds it takes you to walk by a smoker, who by the way is smoking outside, is going to kill you? When they talk about second hand smoke they are refering to being around it on a continual basis. They same goes for any prolonged exposure to carcinogens. There is a whole list of carcinogens that either through prolonged exposure or immediate exposure can kill you or have detrimental affects to your health. Second-hand smoke is very low on that scale.

you must be a smoker to answer like that.

rhiley_08j
05-16-2007, 05:36 PM
you must be a smoker to answer like that.

Actually no, I am proud to say that I am an ex-smoker. I know the serious side effects of smoking, and my grandmother ended up with lung cancer a few years after my grandfather died of emphysema. She never smoked a day in her life, but she was around grampy when he did. It was prolonged exposure. Not walking by it and getting a whiff. Breathing carbon monoxide in from a car exhaust can be fatal, but you are not going to sit there and suck on an exhaust pipe, are you?

sugadip
05-16-2007, 05:59 PM
No matter if it's 5 seconds or what you still shouldn't have to walk through smokers to get into places, that is why you are supposed to smoke so many feet away from the entrance.

ASortaSweetart
05-16-2007, 06:02 PM
No matter if it's 5 seconds or what you still shouldn't have to walk through smokers to get into places, that is why you are supposed to smoke so many feet away from the entrance.This is true, smokers should respect the bylaws. However, I doubt that second hand smoke briefly outside will effect your heart condition, besides the stress is may cause from being annoyed! :p

dittydottie
05-16-2007, 06:12 PM
I thought that there was bylaws in place for smoking.Maybe you should contact the malls and ask them what they allow or don't allow when it comes to smoking in the entrance ways. Tell them to enforce it,their business just may increase.

ASortaSweetart
05-16-2007, 06:20 PM
They also may be fined for not enforcing it...I am not 100% about NB but you could look into it.

Halifax has had smoking bylaws before Saint John ever did and it took a while for them to really enforce it I found.

sarahnb
05-16-2007, 06:44 PM
Our school allows the custodians to smoke outside the doors at 4 pm. I'm not impressed.

timmy
05-16-2007, 07:53 PM
There is a minimum distance from the entrance. It is not a bylaw, it is provincial law. However, like all other bylaws and provincial laws, if you can't point a radar gun at it, don't expect too much enforcement!

dollydoo
05-16-2007, 08:00 PM
I think that if people complain about something long enough they get it. Not saying that smoking in front of the doors is okay. However, if someone is smoking outside of a store im pretty sure that they are not right in front of the door so you can get in. Also, for the malls and smoking in front of the doors, If smokers can't smoke there then why do they have ashtrays there??? Just a question to ponder. Also, if they are going to make laws about smoking in public places etc and you can get a fine why are they still making smokes??? Also saranb as for the custodians being able to smoke outside the building after 4pm whats the big deal no students are there anymore. and school is out. Yes i am a smoker but i dont see the big deal about smoking outside.

rhiley_08j (http://isaintjohn.com/classifieds/member.php?u=7776) http://isaintjohn.com/classifieds/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_100166", true);
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

http://isaintjohn.com/classifieds/images/icons/icon1.gif

I agree 100% Thats my opinion.... Peace

mattpage84
05-16-2007, 08:01 PM
actually the minimum distance is 6 feet from any publicly used entrance, thats only if it's open to all public

dittydottie
05-16-2007, 09:13 PM
I just came from Market Square from picking up my daughter from work. We always pick her up at the entrance by Trade & Convention Center door. What I saw was rude of smokers. There is two signs posted at the doors stating"No smoking at this Entrance" and in the five minutes that we were there waitng 5 people stood there and smoked. They are not the only ones doing it because the butts on the ground is enough to make up at least 3 packs of cigarettes!Why isn't the mall doing their job and enforcing this?
Matter of fact there would be security on tonight because there is a conference/convention going on.
If you need to smoke,than please follow the laws and smoke where smoking is allowed!

richunclepennywise
05-17-2007, 06:00 AM
the ashtrays are at the door so the butts can go in as the person enters, rather than being thrown on the ground at the door. Not sure that it is working thou, huh?

sarahnb
05-17-2007, 06:55 AM
Noone should be allowed to smoke on school property. The smoke can be smelled inside the school. And there are still kids at the school at 4pm. That's why I was there. cigarette butts on the ground outside the door is setting a bad example. It's disgusting. If you want to smoke, go stink up your car instead of a public building.

sarahnb
05-17-2007, 07:01 AM
POLICY TYPE: Executive Limitations
POLICY NO: EL-16
POLICY TITLE: Smoke Free Environment
LEGISLATIVE AUTHORITY:
ADOPTED: June 12, 2002

The purpose of this policy is to strengthen Department of Education Policy 702 entitled Tobacco-Free Schools.

District Education Council Policy EL-16 prohibits smoking in all buildings used for the provision of public education to students, on all school properties, and on all public school vehicles used by the school district for the purpose of transporting students, 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Accordingly, the Superintendent shall not:

fail to develop an implementation strategy for September, 2002;
fail to develop procedures for administering the policy;
fail to develop a communication plan;
fail to identify and implement resources to support a non smoking environment;
fail to establish baseline data regarding the numbers of student smokers by school;
fail to collect, annually, data regarding the numbers of student smokers by school in order to measure the effectiveness of the policy.

http://www.district8.nbed.nb.ca/pages/DEC/executive.htm#el16

Flaxie
05-17-2007, 08:21 AM

I have a 7 year old son who's lungs were damaged by RSV as an infant. He has a severe allergy to cigarette smoke. YES the 5 seconds it takes for him to walk though a mall door past a smoker WILL have detrimental effects on his health! Because of the smokers who hang out on the steps at mall entrances, light up next to him at bus stops, cab drivers who STILL smoke in their cars, bus drivers who step off the bus and smoke in front of the open doors, and so on, my son takes puffers often through out the day and is on allergy medicine 12 months of the year.

Now I am done my rant....So go out side enjoy your cigarette but please, if you notice a child in the area, move down wind. There are many many polite smokers out there!

tigersvain
05-17-2007, 09:47 AM
How about the people who actually care for their health? I try to keep myself fit as possible, no junk food, exercise all that good stuff. But then i go to the mall for a walk and what do i have to do, pass thru all this smoke, it instantly makes me gag and just about throw up, its disgusting. My parents never smoked, my siblings never smoked, i have never smoked, my gf has never smoked. I have never been around this stuff and to smell it now makes me wanna barf, i also have a 4 yr old daughter who i'd like to see grow up and be strong and healthy, why should she have to breathe this stuff in? Second hand smoke is worth then first hand, and yes it might only be 5 seconds of it, but that 5 seconds would be enuff to enhale some molecules that trigger the lung cancer. Its absolutly disgusting and i wish they would just get rid of cigarettes all together. Why poison our world with this useless product.

Nail
05-17-2007, 10:07 AM
I believe it is up to the the business who "owns the door" to make sure people dont smoke there. If you launch a complaint to the business owners, they will have to bounce the lawbreakers away and lay charges if necessary. I think the rule is to be 10 feet from any public/business/government entrance.

There was an account when a bar owner near Fredericton was charged because she allowed people to smoke inside. I think it should be the same if smokers are breaching the outdoor laws too.

richunclepennywise
05-17-2007, 05:22 PM
a little off topic....but "second had smoke is worse than first hand"...how is that possible....if you are a first hand smoker, aren't you also standing in the second hand smoke?

In a perfect world nobody would smoke, better for their health, our health, the medical system, only downside is less voluntary taxes.

:D

ASortaSweetart
05-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Yes you are breathing in first hand and second hand smoke. But second hand smoke is worse because of what happens when things burn. I think you could roll up some hay and if you smoked it the second hand smoke would be harmful(ofcourse it wouldn't have the toxins already present in ciggs to begin with).

Also the first hand smoke is being inhaled through a filter (usually).

ASortaSweetart
05-17-2007, 05:36 PM
LOL next the smokers will be claiming THEY pay for welfare lol

:rofl:
I am just kidding! Don't hate! :biggrin:

mizunderstood
05-17-2007, 08:16 PM
OK I am a smoker.. have been for years. HOWEVER I agree there needs to be something done about the smoking near entrances to malls, stores and MORE IMPORTANTLY hospital entrances... I try to be respectful (as much as possible since I know the smell is still on my clothes and such after a puff puff) I do not smoke outside any doors where people have to walk through... If I am at the mall or wherever I either sit in my car or I take a little walk around the parking lot.. I know way too many people with breathing problems and I do not want to make them more sick... Its my right to choose to smoke, but it is their right to chose NOT to smoke.. Even though I am a smoker I have told people to get away from doors. The day my nephew was born we were leaaving the hospital and there was a group of about 5 or 6 outside the door smoking.. One even came over to see the baby, I stood right in front of my nephew and told them to get the Heck away from him while you are smoking.. hes got a brand new set of lungs! lol.. Rude smokers make me mad!

Cherry Pop
05-18-2007, 12:01 AM
I don't really care if people smoke or not but it does annoy me when they smoke in front of the doors of malls and the hospital. The only reason it really annoys me is I'm allergic to cig smoke and actually had to have a medical procedure done that was not very pleasant due to this allergy to cig smoke. I just don't think it's fair if I need to go to the store or even the hospital where I go alot and have to walk through all the cig smoke. I know in another thread on here there was arguing about whether people still smoke in front of the hospital entrance and I can assure you they do. I have been out there 4 times in the last two weeks and everytime I've gone I've had to walk through a thick fog of cig smoke. I understand that smokers need rights to but when it affects my health I have a problem with that.

The_Dave
05-18-2007, 12:18 AM
Smokers should have consideration for those who don't smoke, bottom line, I smoke and I would never be inconsiderate for those who don't, it is called manners.

dittydottie
05-18-2007, 06:53 AM
If there is no butt cans or ashtrays available,they should get the message and know it is not permitted. I really do not like going in a place and seeing all the butts on the ground at the entrance way. Isn't this littering? Ok Saint John enforce the laws and maybe just maybe taxes could stay down and work could be done on roads and other stuff if you started enforcing the laws(no smoking,littering,etc)

livnlern
05-18-2007, 07:15 AM
the best thing to do for all concerned is to butt out permanently.I quit seven years ago (cold turkey),best thing I ever did for myself and others.

pale rider
05-18-2007, 11:23 AM
the refinery and the pulp mill put out more crap than smokers. why are you people not whining about them ? i am not a smoker by the way...

tred816
05-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Let's focus on the positive...

Am I the only one who remembers being in grocery stores and seeing cigarette butts on the floor???
Smoking or non-smoking sections in restaurants?
Better yet... no sections in restaurants?
People smoking in malls, corner stores, busses?
Smoking in bars?
Smoking while pregnant, nursing? (some still do this, but not nearly like they used to)I'm not saying the concern about smoking outside the malls and hospital isn't valid, but there has definitely been some positive change in just 20 years!!!

If you don't like it, complain to management. The more people do, the more the management will take it seriously and do something about it.

Flaxie
05-19-2007, 09:41 AM
You are so right!
It is nice to be able to go out and enjoy myself without breathing in smoke! I remember the eateries in Brunswick Square and Market Square. People smoking at the tables butts on the floor; going there you always left smelling as if you had just smoked a pack of cigs!

dittydottie
05-19-2007, 09:55 AM
If you want good service from a particular place and you see smoking being done in doorways or have to dodge butts in doorways,why not call the places and put in a complaint. If enough people complain than maybe just maybe they will do something to enforce it. Action should be taken if they are doing something that is not supposed to be done.If you were to steal from your emplyer, what would happen to you than????

Flaxie
05-19-2007, 10:15 AM
I agree 100%