PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else sick of animals in the garbage?

sarahnb
05-16-2007, 10:50 AM
We've had an animal in our garbage cans every night for the past two weeks.
Did you know that other municipalities like HRM and most of PEI use black garbage cans identical to our green cans? They are pretty much animal proof but for some stupid reason, Saint John doesn't. I called the city. "It doesn't work with our trucks." Duh. If they can empty the green can, why not a black can? Same can, just a different colour. Might clean up most of the garbage messes that are around the city. One can can hold 2 weeks worth of garbage.

Rickster
05-16-2007, 11:39 AM
One easy way to resolve this is to put your garbage out in the morning instead of the night before. Most of the pesty animals that do this(other than the birds) roam around at night for food sources and once they find one will return to this source everytime.(raccoons,skunks,etc.)Had that problem with raccoons and was resolved when I started to do this !!! - Rick.

sarahnb
05-16-2007, 12:03 PM
That would be fine if you had room in the house for two weeks worth of stinky diapers. No thanks. We use garbage cans with lids, outside the house and they still get in.

christine chittick
05-16-2007, 12:16 PM
I hear you sarahnb. Take a look out on my deck (which I have solid gates on both ends of my deck to keep animals off) and some damn animal pulled the garbage can over and literally RIPPED ALL THE GARBAGE out of the bag. I don't have room ANYWHERE's in my house to store 2 weeks of garbage. 2 parts of my basement is warehouse for my work. Can't have stuff smelling of garbage stinky diapers included going out to customers all over NB. I would lose my contract! The other part is where my kids play.

Yeah I could build a bin - only for the animals to chew and rip through it and destroy it AND hauling garbage around my yard. I could go out and buy a plastic bin - and to have to the same thing happen!

I use the green bin for all food etc. the only thing that is drawing those stinking animals to those bags is the damn food wrappers with NOTHING in them and then I have to clean it all back up!

The city wonders why people dump their crap throughout the city and on the outskirts. If I was a litterbug I would do the exact same damn thing as these people are doing - thats how fed up I am!

hockeymom
05-16-2007, 01:00 PM
We use 121L plastic garbage cans and what we have to do is bungee cord the lid down from one handle over the top of the lid to the other handle. We use a smaller cord so that it is pretty tight. As long as that is on, no problems, but if we forgot to put it on, the little rascals get into it. Same with our compost bin, if it is not corded down, then the raccoons haul everything out of it.

Pam Mc
05-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Try spraying or even just pouring bleach or amonia on top . It kills any odor of food . I live in the country and it works to keep out dogs, cats, raccoons, and bears............It's well worth a try

Cherry Pop
05-28-2007, 01:05 PM
We use 121L plastic garbage cans and what we have to do is bungee cord the lid down from one handle over the top of the lid to the other handle. We use a smaller cord so that it is pretty tight. As long as that is on, no problems, but if we forgot to put it on, the little rascals get into it. Same with our compost bin, if it is not corded down, then the raccoons haul everything out of it.

I also use a bungee cord on my outside garbage can and it works great. I haven't had an animal get into my garbage since I started using it!