PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Neighbour's Cats

hockeymom
05-15-2007, 02:02 PM
We have a problem with our Neighbour's cats, they like to use our mulched areas as litter boxes. As soon as we get the mulch down and spread out the way we like it, a damn cat comes and digs it up to crap. Are there any ideas out there as to how to stop them from doing this? I do have a few ideas but on the other hand I would like to keep the peace with these neighbours. There must be something out there to stick in the mulch to keep them away.

ksbeckaa
05-15-2007, 02:47 PM
bury tin foil slightly below the surface of the mulch. cats hate the feeling of it.

hockeymom
05-15-2007, 04:33 PM
Sounds like a good idea but how would the water get into the ground? Maybe there are other things out there that I can stick in the mulch.

shadoww
05-15-2007, 04:53 PM
Mothballs work if you can handle the smell

rhiley_08j
05-15-2007, 04:59 PM
I wonder if an overdose of catnip would work? LOL:rofl:

hockeymom
05-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Moth balls? Do you bury them or just scatter them around? Will they kill the plants?

shadoww
05-15-2007, 05:11 PM
you just scatter them around, they hate the smell. As far as I know they wont hurt your plants, I have heard that people often put it in their gardens to get rid of cats.

hockeymom
05-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Thanks! Its worth a try.

puppyluv
05-15-2007, 05:33 PM
try critter ridder too. It is a natural product made up of cayenne etc that irritates their paws etc when they come into contact with it.
Of course you need to re-apply it after the rain...but it wont hurt your vegetation. I had to shake the neighbors cat away from my front door again this am..Blasted things try and spray the front door..and it smells so bad. Time to get out the bleach again....

hockeymom
05-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Where do you buy Critter Ridder at?

puppyluv
05-15-2007, 05:51 PM
Pet Corral, most pet places, hardware stores etc. Large bottle, white, with green lettering of I am correct. worth every penny too!

hockeymom
05-15-2007, 05:55 PM
Thank-you! I will keep that one in mind too!

MrsBeasley
05-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Homemade Cat Repellant for Gardens

4 cups water
1 whole Garlic bud
1 large onion
1 tsp tobasco sauce

Blend all together in blender. Put on garden being used by cats. Reapply after rain until cats are discouraged.

**P.S. I had this old recipe in my recipe box. I've never personally tried it, therefore I cannot guarantee it's effectiveness. However if I were a cat, I wouldn't want to go there. Pee-yew!!

CM
05-15-2007, 10:16 PM
To protect plants and borders both mothballs and citrus are said to be effective deterrents. Place the mothballs, orange peel or lemon rind in the borders. Alternatively spray cloths with orange scented air freshener and place the cloths around the plants you wish to protect. Other known cat repellents are cayenne pepper, coffee grounds, pipe tobacco, lavender oil, lemon grass oil, citronella oil, eucalyptus oil and mustard oil.
I know for a fact that my cat hates the smell of citrus. Anytime I eat an orange he heads for the hills. That is a very natural way to deter them, and it definitely will not affect your plants.
Good luck.

puppyluv
05-16-2007, 05:23 AM
I am getting ready to trap the danged thing to be truthful. They put a little bell on it so it cant catch the birds ( I am presuming thats why) yet let it out on a street where people zip up and down.
Maybe if they get a fine for letting it run loose they will think twice?

hockeymom
05-16-2007, 07:37 AM
Thanks for all the ideas! I am definately going to try them! I do not understand why people get cats just to let them outside to roam for most of the day/night. The 2 cats that I am thinking of hardly go inside, if they do at all; so why have one then?

shadoww
05-16-2007, 08:02 AM
Thanks for all the ideas! I am definately going to try them! I do not understand why people get cats just to let them outside to roam for most of the day/night. The 2 cats that I am thinking of hardly go inside, if they do at all; so why have one then?

I completely agree!! This is really a sore point with me, as I have had major issues with a neighbors cat for the last year using my kids sand as a little box, I have actually posted on it many times looking for solutions. We have tried everything and the only other option we have now if he does it again this spring is to sod the whole area instead. We have chased this cat many times trying to catch it to take to Animal Control but after a year of dealing with this cat we have yet to succeed. If these people loved this cat as much as they say they would keep it in the house safe, and stop it from being a nuisance to others!!