PDA

View Full Version : SJ Energy

care1978
05-14-2007, 07:11 PM
so i called Sj Energy today to ask for my deposit back, as i had paid a $300 deposit last year and was told i could get it back....no so... i was told that apparently when i moved into the place im in now, the deposit would have been less for this place, so they just went ahead and credited my account for $200!
i dont think they should be allowed to make that move especially without consulting with the person who owns the deposit. has this ever happened to anyone? or has anyone heard of this sort of thing happening? if so does anyone have any suggestions on how i can get my money back?
thanks in advance!

Chinna Dah
05-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Hmmm I had no idea you had to pay a deposit for power.Is this something new? I haven't moved in 7 years, but back then I never paid a deposit.

care1978
05-14-2007, 07:31 PM
well i guess some people have to pay them and some people dont... i guess i was one of the ones who did... but i do think that it is a fairly new policy, i really feel that they should reimburse me.... GRRRRRR!

mizunderstood
05-14-2007, 08:13 PM
SAme thing happened to me, luckily i had kept all my statements and proved that they did not use my deposit for a credit at any time so they had to return my deposit to me.. Make sure u check it out and see if they ever actually did put a credit on ur account..

care1978
05-14-2007, 08:27 PM
pm'd you mizunderstood!

kaj27
05-14-2007, 08:58 PM
That's insane. Another example of the big guys nickel and diming the little guys.

And Chinna Dah usually a deposit is required when you are a new applicant to SJ Energy. Might depend on credit?

I say we all get a pool together and buy some wind generators and solar panels and make our own power!

care1978
05-14-2007, 08:59 PM
I say we all get a pool together and buy some wind generators and solar panels and make our own power!

i'm with ya on that 1! we used the natural elements before... so why not do it again!

tred816
05-15-2007, 01:05 AM
I think it's terribly sad that they do this. It never used to be that way.

Years ago, when I was struggling to get out of an abusive relationship, I needed a $500 deposit to get hydro in my name because there was a 10 year old balance owing of $7 on my account!!!

I had the same problem. I finally saved up enough cash to put the deposit down only to get credit on my account a year later. That $500 would have been better off in my pocket than sitting as credit on my account for a few months.

They should also pay it back with interest!

As far as I'm concerned, if they are going to require a deposit, it should be a flat rate and it should be a percentage of the annual bill, not a whopping $500 for a place that uses $30/mo...

Rekcus
05-15-2007, 12:59 PM
This happened to me a few years ago. They started requiring deposits for new customers probably 5-6 years ago I would say. I paid the $300 deposit (amount is twice the amount of the highest months bill for the apartment or house for the last year). I had a friend who just asked they do a credit check on her instead and they did that and didn't require the deposit after. I called after a year or so because I was moving and they mentioned the deposit - I had forgotten about it. They wouldn't cut me a cheque, only put the credit on my account. It was nice not having to pay my power bill for about a year.

icedragon
05-15-2007, 03:02 PM
companies with monopolyies suck