PDA

View Full Version : when to feed babies jar food?

cuddles2007
05-13-2007, 11:59 AM
I have a 4 month old son who eats 8 oz of milk every 3 hours. And i was told by my health nurse on dec, 30. when i had my son not to feed him jar food until he is 4 months. I was at my moms house in feb and she feed him the baby cereal and he was only 2 months old! he seemed to like it , he wasn't bringing it back up. I brought him to his doctors last month and he told us we can feed him jar food now because he is always hungry 1 hour after feeding him! our health nurse came to our house 2 weeks ago and told us that the chart changed that not to feed him jar food till he is 6 months! But my son has already ate jar food and the baby cereal for awhile now. he seems to like both and doesn't have a problem with them. I don't understand my mom feed me baby cereal when i was 1 month old and I'm fine! what should i do? listen to my doctor or listen to my health nurse?

Crystalbeach
05-13-2007, 12:21 PM
When I had my kids I didn't know one thing about feedings or anything really...I gave them cereal when they were a couple of months old..they loved it..
I started them all on baby food between three and four months old..
I never killed any of them.

leaha2879
05-13-2007, 12:28 PM
it's completely up to you, so jar food is 0-3 mths.. everyone will tell u different. you listen to yourself and what you want. you can feed your baby jar food now or even pablum my friend was giving her son pablum at 1 month just diluted very well, i had a health nurse plus doctor plus family and each was telling me different, good luck to you, back then babies were feed can milk, they turned out fine, they change things every year

magoosmomma
05-13-2007, 02:17 PM
they recommend you wait 4 -6 months..only for digestive and allergy reasons... but its totally up to you..if your dr told you to then listen to you dr..

kimbey76
05-14-2007, 12:49 PM
i would think as long as your baby isnt having any reaction then it is fine to continue doing what you are doing, every baby is different too, my son was four months when he started having cereal and my daughter didnt have cereal until she was six months, it depends on the babys size and how hungry they are

space
05-14-2007, 04:54 PM
for wat the health nurse saying and wat your doctor saying.. It is confusing. I would say the hell with them and feed the child whatever you think.

good luck

dahen
05-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Feed your child when the milk is not satisfying him. My first child I gave her a table spoon of rice cereal twice a day when she was 4 months until she was 5 1/2 months then she started on carrots.
Now I have a new baby (5 months)
At the breastfeeding clinic at the SJRH told me not to feed my baby any foods besides milk until my new baby was 6 months. My daughter is almost 5months weighs about 16 pounds, I am trying to hold off on feeding her food until she shows me signs like the ones you are currently seeing. I say do what you think is best. I say you can't go wrong with rice cereal to start with.

sanstu
05-22-2007, 11:22 AM
I have 5 children. Between 4-5 months you could start feeding rice cereal. After that start with veggies, then fruit. Good luck and do what feels right to you. You are the mom and in the best position to know what your babies needs are. And remember no 2 babies are alike. Good luck!

care1978
05-22-2007, 01:53 PM
every baby is different, both my boys were on food early, i i just tried them, i knew if the y got sick... to wait a littel while longer before trying them again, im not a doctor, but i say if your baby eats the food and doesnt get sick and is still drinking his/her formula, then go for it. it would be kind of mean (any pretty expensive) to take the baby's food away after already introducing it :)
and just because there are new guidlines for babies ( every other year) doesnt mean that they necessarily will pertain to your baby.... mommy always knows best! trust yourself.
good luck :)

christine chittick
05-22-2007, 04:06 PM
I have 3 kids. My oldest was given rice cereal around 2 months, and at 3-4 months I started with the beginner vegetables....only give them a little bit to start with to make sure there is no allergic reaction. And if there is no allergic reaction the first time, you can eventually feed a little more of it next feeding.

My 2nd child was fed cereal at around 2 months as well, and about 3-4 months when I started giving him beginner foods as well.

My 3rd, she is just a year old. She's the piggy of the house! LOL!! She still eats every 3-4 hours. She was eating cereal at 5-6wks old - and jar food at around 3months - I actually think she was 10 weeks to be exact. Today, shes eats just about anything - although we haven't tried her with seafood yet as her brother is allergic to it... and we want to wait to til she's a lil older before trying her with it in case she is too.

heather1
06-27-2007, 08:10 PM
My son is now 5 months old and was doing the same thing as your baby eating 8 oz of milk every 3 hours. My son has been eating cereal since he was 2 months old and was eating jared vegetables at 3 months and fruit at 4 months. My doctor said this was fine even though other people tried to tell me that it was not. No one knows your baby better than you do and if you feel that he needs more than just a bottle than you do what you think is best for him.....

bts
06-28-2007, 05:20 PM
Hello I have a 5 month old daughter Iput her on cereal 3 weeks ago and now she has vegetables and fruit twice a day and cereal and fruit once a day she seems to be doing well on it and I had her top the doctor the other day and he said to keep her on it as long as she seems to be wanting it! I only use the beginer baby foods not the 6 month ones!