PDA

View Full Version : Lots of emergency crews out today

AreWeThereYetMom
12-22-2006, 06:29 PM
Emergency crews over on Spring Street after 130 and on Duke street uptown around 445... looks like a crazy day for those folks!!!

sanne
12-22-2006, 07:28 PM
It seems that they are busy 24 hrs a day now, what with all the drugs around and people jumping out in front of cars, etc.

Tara
12-23-2006, 07:10 AM
I know! My hubby sent an email to me at work saying the house next door was on fire :S Not something I wanted to hear, anyone know if it was a bad fire?

user5624
12-23-2006, 08:25 AM
It seems that they are busy 24 hrs a day now, what with all the drugs around and people jumping out in front of cars, etc.

What do you mean, people jumping out in front of cars?

Chinna Dah
12-23-2006, 11:17 AM
yes what do you mean by that? People jumping out in front of cars? Perhaps it is not the person crossing the street that is the problem, perhaps it is the idiot that is driving, talking on thier cell phone and trying to light up a smoke that has the problem, a family member of mine was killed 2 weeks ago while simply crossing the street after getting groceries.

toodles
12-23-2006, 11:41 AM
Chinna Dah. I am so sorry to hear you lost a family member. There have been a lot of people being hit by cars this year. My heart goes out to all the family's out there this time of year going through this.

user5624
12-23-2006, 01:03 PM
Chinna, I'm sorry!

The man that was hit on Rothesay avenue this week was my uncle. His fault or not that he was hit, I'm not going to put up with people mocking him. So that is why I asked what sanne meant by their comment.

Tara
12-23-2006, 02:29 PM
I'm sorry sorry to hear that =( My hubby came home and gave me the news, I guess he works with his daughter. My thoughts are with your family.

user5624
12-23-2006, 02:30 PM
Thank you.

trinity
12-23-2006, 02:35 PM
I find people are less inclined to look-during the holiday season, people are pre-occupied with their inner thoughts and stress and not paying attention to their external world. People also are in more of a hurry and I have seen countless pedestrian desperate dashes across the street when they NEVER would have risked it the rest of the year. I mean, come on, how safe is it to EVER jaywalk across Westmorland road? Yet people are doing it, loaded down with Walmart bags. hello, grab a clue and go to the intersection where there are at least walk lights and people are expecting to stop. I know, its 20 feet out of your way, and back down again on the McAllister side, but that 40 feet may mean life or death for YOU. I myself walked across a driving lane in a parking lot without looking, I was hurrying, trying to catch up with my roommate and there was a car coming, I never even saw it, and I'm not like that usually. Also, the lighting this time of year is bad for most motorists, the twilight starts early around rush hour and pedestrians don't realize how little can be seen. Lots of times the only reason I was alerted to the fact that people were crossing up ahead was that I noticed there was something obscuring the headlights of the car opposite me. I've tried to stop driving between 4 and 7 if I can help it, the grayness of the twilight tends to obscure visibility more than I am comfortable with. And on rainy nights-shiny pavement, these new halogen headlights are like high beams, recipe for disaster. People also forget to look when coming out around the side of parked buses, SUV's and trucks-drivers CANNOT see you.

kb
12-23-2006, 03:08 PM
yes what do you mean by that? People jumping out in front of cars? Perhaps it is not the person crossing the street that is the problem, perhaps it is the idiot that is driving, talking on thier cell phone and trying to light up a smoke that has the problem, a family member of mine was killed 2 weeks ago while simply crossing the street after getting groceries.

sorry to hear it was your or anyone else's family member no one deserve to die this way but that was a cold wet night and she was crossing in a dark spot on that street alot of people do im surprise more haven't been hit there or across at deluxe another bad spot . But some responsibly has to be taken by the person crossing the street not all drivers are idiots and i'm sure who ever was driving the suv that hit her would have stopped rather than have to live with what happen the rest of there lives . We arrivied there when she was just taken away and were told 3 people we hit within 10 minutes that night . Everyone seems to be in to big of a rush this time of year drivers and pedestrians to neither looking for each other .

Mandi
12-23-2006, 03:19 PM
I think the problem is that people are too impatient and far less curteous this time oof year. I have had a couple times, where i was with my daughter, and it appeared the person in the car was going to stop so we would start to walk out only to have them speed up and almost hit us. When you're in a cross walk, with a STOP sign, the pedestrian has the right away, it boggles me that some people don't seem to understand that but somehow passed a driving exam.

ceg
12-23-2006, 09:52 PM
I've seen both sides of it. I've seen pedestrians just run out into the road without even lifting their heads to look. West side is terrible for pedestrians jumping out from behind trucks and vans. But I've also seen people driving who do not notice pedestrians or do not stop when one is in a cross walk.