PDA

View Full Version : Spiders/Ants

jen_161
05-08-2007, 04:39 PM
I need a product that I can spray my lawn and home with that gets rid of spiders and ants. During the summer my home is crawling with them. Also if it is good for the grass as well that would be a bonus. Any ideas????

habsfan10
05-08-2007, 08:18 PM
Not sure about spiders, but for ants, baby powder and vinegar. If the ants get into the baby powder,it smothers them and they die. Vinegar deter them away, the smell i guess. I got these from the web. Good luck!!!

rhiley_08j
05-09-2007, 12:37 AM
Years ago we lived in a place where one summer we had a horrible problem with red ants. Every morning when we went into the bathroom the tub would be completely covered in ants. We had tried every possible insecticide and nothing would work. We had just given up hope when I was talking to the old german fellow next door and he asked me if I had tried baking soda and sugar. I was surprised, I said I want to kill them not feed them, LOL. He said "No seriously, if you mix 1 part sugar to 3 parts baking soda, you will get rid of them. The sugar attracts them and than they eat the mixture which causes a chemical reaction and the ants will die." I thought he was nuts, but figured I had tried everything else so why not give it a try. No word of a lie, within two or three days the ants were completely gone. Go figure, something I had in the cupboard all along, would have saved me quite a bit of money.

icedragon
05-09-2007, 05:05 PM
diazanol

MrsBeasley
05-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Ants and spiders are a nuisance, especially if you have carpenter ants, because they slowly destroy your house just like termites. Spiders however as much as I hate them and hate walking face first into their webs on my way out the door, I leave them be since they get rid of so many other bugs.

icedragon
05-11-2007, 01:59 PM
diazanol

Cartersmom
05-17-2007, 03:41 PM
along the same lines as rhiley
I looked it up 2 yrs ago when we had some ants, the people online said the best no fail solution was borax (the laundry stuff) and icing sugar mixed together.
like rhiley, within a day or 2 it was a miracle. all the ants were gone, and stayed gone for the year..

dally
06-13-2007, 12:04 AM
Well I tried the sugar and baking soda and let me tell ya it really worked. My yard looked really funny for a while with all the little white spots all over the place. So if anyone wants to try it I say go for it.

Dally

got2bjustright
06-13-2007, 10:38 AM
Hey

Does any one know if this (sugar and baking soda) works with other critters? I live in a basement apt and have different bugs, no idea what they are called. The kinds you get from damp areas, just wondering if the sugar and baking soda will work with all critters.

dittydottie
06-13-2007, 10:57 AM
I'm going shopping for lots of baking soda and sugar.Going to mix a big batch of it,put it in trhe spreader and away they go(I hope!!!!)I do not like ants at all.

got2bjustright
06-14-2007, 09:43 AM
Hey SJ

Can anyone tell me how to mix the sugar and baking soda? Ex: If I use 1 teaspoon of sugar is it then 3 teaspoons of baking soda?

And can this hurt a cat?

Thanks fior the Help!! :biggrin:

dally
06-14-2007, 01:53 PM
I was wondering if those little bugs you have are black with a vertical white stripe going down their back. We call them wood bugs. I used to put loose bay leaves in my cubboards and drawers. Just throw 3 or 4 of them in. Someone told me that a long time ago, the bugs don't like the taste or the smell of them. I still used to see but they stayed out of cupboards where there was packaged food. I don't know if the baking soda/sugar would work on other bugs or not. Yes, if you use 1 tsp of sugar it's 3 tsp of baing soda. As for the cat I don't think so, it's not a chemical. My dog went near it sniffed, it poufed up her nose she sneezed and walked away. She's more interested in killing the ants herself lol. Maybe you could get your cat interested in something else when he/she tries to go near it.

got2bjustright
06-14-2007, 02:52 PM
Hey dally

I know what bugs you mean, but no it's them. I can't even explain what they look like, kind of oval shaped and kind of a brown greenish colour. They are the worse ones, I've been told them like damp areas, so living in the basement I guess it is to be expected, but I hate:mad: BUGS!!!

I get other kinds as well, such as spiders and I found a really big black ant last night!!! I'm going crazy in there, I kill at least 3 bugs a day.:(

And as for my lazy cat, she just looks at them!!!:rolleyes: She wont kill them and eat them like any other cat, she tooo good for that. lol

AreWeThereYetMom
06-14-2007, 11:40 PM
Popped in this thread a few times since it started and then realized how many bugs I was putting up with too lol - Gonna try the baking soda thing in the yard as there are alot of small ants this year out there and last weekend found several in the basement hanging out around the cat food dishes.
I have no idea where they are coming in at, but figure the expanding foam and a few 'well hidden from the cats' sticky glue board traps may help.

Had a few of those grey striped beetles aka 'larder beetles' same time every year on the stairs that have carpet and they usually die up in the ceiling lightshades... wierd!

THIS WEEK... This magical earwig walking through my kitchen last night, tonight a rather huge black ant walking across my daughters room (thank heavens she didn't spot it), then just 1/2 hour later a huge spider in my basement sink!!!! Is this 'welcome the bugs week' or something???

got2bjustright
06-15-2007, 09:28 AM
Thank goodness some one else deals with this too. Was starting to think I was dirty!!! lol Spend my weekends dusting, sweeping, scrubbing everything and everywhere thinking this will help, IT DOES NOT!!

So this weekend I think I'm gonna have a few drinks and relax!!! Maybe just make friends with my little roomy's!!!:rofl: Feed them a little sugar and baking soda, and see what next week brings. I'll have losts of new friends if i just learn to like them: the spiders with long legs,short legs, hard crunchy bodies, and there are the bugs that can fly and crawl with the long antania thingies, WOW what a great fun weekend with all my friends!!!:rofl: I will not share my beer with them!!! lol

angeliiiss
06-29-2007, 02:48 PM
I use Ortho Home Defense.Spray around the outside perimeter of your house and around the baseboards and any cracks or crevices inside(even better if you can see where they are coming in).Its even ok to use in pet beds and on your gardens.It really works well.It kills ants,carpet beetles,clothes moths,cockroaches,fleas(adult and larvae)silverfish,spiders...and much more.For more info you can check their website at scottscanada.ca.Its available at Canadian Tire..not positive where else.