PDA

View Full Version : Real Jail or Fake Jail

tony_s
12-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Is it just me or does it seem more people are serving fake jail time or as they call it house arrest.It seems the more you read the papers you hear of someone getting house arrest whats the benifits of this.

Example.1 Real jail,they tell you when to get up when to eat you cant smoke.drink,watch tv when they want you too only see family on visiting days

Example.2 Fake Jail. You can sleep as long as you want. Eat what you want .Smoke whatever you want drink whenever you want and see your family when ever you want and still beable to got to work.And if your sneaky enough get outside and see your friends cause we know its going on.
The ? is what is Real Justice

Mandi
12-21-2006, 01:54 PM
It saves the Government money. But My personal belief is... It SHOULD be 'you do the time, you pay for it' I think you should have to pay board to be in Jail, it would save tons of money that could go into health care or education. Or at least bring back chain gangs so that inmates are at least doingsomething to earn their meals.

Truthiness Inc
12-21-2006, 03:25 PM
Hi Thread!

Whatever happened to medical testing on inmates? why hurt some poor rat, or rabbit, mouse, primate, who did nothing wrong other then being caught, instead, experiment on criminals who OWE a debt to society, air tight logic.

Truth, Gitmo’s answer to terrorism

Truthiness Inc

Chinna Dah
12-21-2006, 04:21 PM
I think they should do medical testing on people who post on forums by the name of Truthiness Inc.

Nail
12-21-2006, 04:26 PM
...they already have...hence..

Truthiness Inc
12-21-2006, 04:29 PM
Hi thread!

Oh burn!!
SNAP!!

daaaammmnnn, you really put the smack on truth this time! Got him on the ropes! There’s no way he'll ever come back from that kinda mud slinging!

ouch..

Truth, representing the "street"

Truthiness Inc

Nail
12-21-2006, 04:57 PM
Straight outta Compton, "T"...

Truthiness Inc
12-21-2006, 05:05 PM
Hi Nail

Did you ever get another interview for the, hard water?

Truth, coming to you 5 nights a week!

Truthiness Inc

Nail
12-21-2006, 05:16 PM
Yeah, the plumber is coming by on Jan 9 again. He said this was the hardest water he's ever seen and will need to bring some cushioning in for it. *nod*

lissa_sunshine
12-21-2006, 09:49 PM
I knew one person on house arrest once they were given 6 months for something. Although its pretty lienent with being able to still smoke,drink,see friends and family its still pretty strict no matter if the government is trying to save money or not. Someone from the province calls you at random times throughout the day and it truly varies. Sometimes theyd call 8 times a day and sometimes 5 but they never ever keep it the same time. I assume someone is hired for the job and just sits at a desk all day and calls all these people. They have to confirm its you before they hang up. IF for some reason your not there or you dont answer (which happened to this person by once on fluke) the cops come to your door and question you hard. IF it happens its revoked and you go straight to jail and cant go out and wait for your court date you gotta stay. So i mean although its probably handed out to some of the wrong people at least its strictly enforced. I will say that the mental strain it put on the person i thought was far worse than sending them to jail. Being alone and cooped up most of the time isnt good for the system. I guess it also depends on the crime, in this case it wasnt half as bad as some of the people in the paper that end up on house arrest. I think it would be interesting to see the amount of people put on house arrest a year and some kind of idea of the beginning and end of the crimes committed if you could rank them in some order from mild to extreme. I dunno....

trinity
12-21-2006, 11:32 PM
I think the idea is to give first time and minor offenders a feeling of what it is like to lose your freedom.. plus they don't really want to lock up some tool who just shoplifted a bag of chips or vandalized a wall with people who have done armed robbery, break ins, assault etc.
I just wonder how they "confirm" it is you. What if you have a sibling who sounds just like you?

tony_s
12-21-2006, 11:47 PM
I have heard of some people and they were not all minor offences that end up with house arrest.And is that not how it starts minor offences lead to major offences.Still house arrest seems pretty easy when u have pretty much all your freedoms nothing is really taken away just make sure your there to answer the phone when they call .But as far as anything else you can do anything you want too.nothing to stop you no steel doors or gates to stop you from going to work going outside lets just say pretty much anything you wanted too do.Go to jail and see what kind of freedom you get 3 meals and a cot thats it

care1978
12-22-2006, 12:39 AM
actually somebody really close to me (family wise) was on house arrest for a year, and they were out doing there own thing everyday... the rules arent strict enough, and they dont make random phone calls that often, they actually call you around the same time everyday, so it doesnt take a genius to figure out " gee i better be home for supper" on the off chance that they do call and you arent there, from what i have witnessed... it is easy enough to say " i was in the bathroom, andd couldnt make it to the phone" with cell phones nowadays it really isnt that hard to run the roads when you are under house arrest... especially if someone at your house says " just a sec they are in the shower...i'll get them" then call them wherever they are and tell them to get there, i have seen the jail wait for up to 15-20 minutes to speak to the person, and never a cop show up at the door. So I guess my point is, i dont agree with house arrest because it isnt teaching that there are consequences for peoples actions, just that they can keep doing the crap that they are doing... and still do whatever they want.... the judicial system really needs to sharpen up on their ways, or this city is gonna go to He** in a handbasket real quick!

friskeywhiskey
12-22-2006, 11:19 AM
My experience with house arrest was my brother in law was living with us on house arrest. It does restrict your freedom in some ways it is a little harder because you are not in jail. In jail you know exactly what to expect everyday and are in jail. On house arrest you are home so it does not feel like jail until something comes up that you would really like to do but oops you can not because you are on house arrest. Simple things like if you need to pick something up at the store you have to wait to your allotted time (usually 3 hours weekly or biweekly) to go pick it up or if your car breaks down you can not simply take it to the shop you would have to wait to your allotted time for personnal shoppping or you have an arguement with your significant other and would like to take a walk to cool off you can not leave the house. Also, in most cases if a judge hands out 1 year house arrest if he have given a jail sentence instead in would have been far less time.
As far as when the jail calls you in my experience they called randomly through out the day and night. There was no way that you could use the excuse he's in the shower or bathroom. They would not let you off the phone until the person came to the phone. Also, there was a time limit on how long they would wait I think it was like 3 minutes or they were coming to pick the person up and bring them to jail.
Also, if you want to brave it and go out when your not suppose to, you run the risk of being seen by an official and be sent to jail. I know of someone that was sent to jail because their probation officer saw them out when they were on house arrest when they were suppose to be home. When you get sent to jail for breaking your house arrest you finish all your time in jail. They spent 9 months (remainder of there 1 year sentence) in jail for breaking their house arrest all for a bottle of pop.

Mandi
12-22-2006, 11:53 AM
Betcha he never stole pop again! -snicker-

Freudian
12-23-2006, 12:23 AM
By "all for a bottle of pop", I think they meant they left their home to get a bottle of pop and got caught...

Lemme_LQQK
12-23-2006, 01:46 AM
C'mon now Tony , fess up , you're just p#####d because you got the real one did'nt ya...lolol This is "ME" you're talkin to ....LOL

I'm just funnin with ya ...lol
Anyway

Usually house arrest is issued because the jail is full and it's given to someone with a minor crime as compared to a hardened criminal.

If u really think about it they are not "free" to do as they please as u put it, they wear an ankle braclet or some sort of device and not allowed to leave home after working hours if they work . And they don't smoke in jail anymore that I know of.

Have someone tell u you can't leave your house for 3 or 6 months and see how u would feel .

tony_s
12-23-2006, 12:47 PM
Hmmm lets see as a former employee of the Jail .Ikinda know what it's like just working there you feel locked up atleast i got to leave after work. Anyways the way they check to see if you are behaving on house arrest they call you on the phone just to make sure you are home once in a blue moon they might actually visit you .But as far as phone calls go there is such a neat thing now like call forwarding so you can take your calls where ever you are you can even have them forwarded to your cell phones hmm interesting trick i think .But still atleast with house arrest you can go outside your door get some air sit in your back yard .And a far as the crime goes i have heard of drug dealers getting house arrest now is that a minor crime or is that a crime that deserves jail time?

jonah
12-30-2006, 07:50 PM
that deserves jail time because the drug dealers can just traffic out of their own home instead of going to prison. stupid thing to do........