PDA

View Full Version : The north end.

cuddles2007
05-05-2007, 10:47 AM
I have lived in the north end since i was 6 and im now 19. I know people who say the one change(old north end). is gonna change the northend and that it will be a better place to live. and the new police station will help too. well my whole look on it is , if the landlords know that the people they rent to sell drugs or recking the place that kick them out and dont rent to them again. And an other thing some parents dont care what their kids do . so you have kids braking out peoples windows , spray painting out the side a houses. and its hard to keep your kids away from all the bad kids. I have a 4 month old baby and by the time he can go out by him self , or go to school . me and my husband are moving. i know all parts of town have these problems . but the other than lower westside the northend is the worst part of town because of these problems. does anyone eles feel the same way?

icedragon
05-05-2007, 11:35 AM
I have lived in the north end since i was 6 and im now 19. I know people who say the one change(old north end). is gonna change the northend and that it will be a better place to live. and the new police station will help too. well my whole look on it is , if the landlords know that the people they rent to sell drugs or recking the place that kick them out and dont rent to them again. And an other thing some parents dont care what their kids do . so you have kids braking out peoples windows , spray painting out the side a houses. and its hard to keep your kids away from all the bad kids. I have a 4 month old baby and by the time he can go out by him self , or go to school . me and my husband are moving. i know all parts of town have these problems . but the other than lower westside the northend is the worst part of town because of these problems. does anyone eles feel the same way?

In halifax I owned a 12 unit and an 8 unit. The area was quite shady and as a result it was hard to charge half decent amount for rent. The other owners in this area were also quite upset about this and formed this type of association. Inside this association, they set rules for the area which included who can rent from them and what they can charge. I have since sold these buildings however their plans had worked. The area has improved alot in just one year. When I owned them I couldn't get over 500$ for rent. The people who bought them from me are now getting 900$-1200$ depending on how many bedrooms. Something like that is going to be the only way to clean up an area. The repercussion of course is going to be a raise in the cost of rent.

Mandi
05-05-2007, 11:44 AM
In halifax I owned a 12 unit and an 8 unit. The area was quite shady and as a result it was hard to charge half decent amount for rent. The other owners in this area were also quite upset about this and formed this type of association. Inside this association, they set rules for the area which included who can rent from them and what they can charge. I have since sold these buildings however their plans had worked. The area has improved alot in just one year. When I owned them I couldn't get over 500$ for rent. The people who bought them from me are now getting 900$-1200$ depending on how many bedrooms. Something like that is going to be the only way to clean up an area. The repercussion of course is going to be a raise in the cost of rent.

THAT is an amazing idea. I don't understand why landlords don't do that more often. Then I remember my last landlord, who didn't care who they let live in their building as long as they were getting money. They never maintained it, so it's not like they were putting anything into the building.

Mandi
05-05-2007, 11:45 AM
higher rent is certainly acceptable if it leaves you with a safer place to live.

icedragon
05-05-2007, 11:59 AM
higher rent is certainly acceptable if it leaves you with a safer place to live.

I agree. I would like to walk from my car to my house without being shot. Sorry, flashbacks of Dartmouth

Soccer_mom10
05-05-2007, 01:10 PM
I live in north end and am desperately seeking a place elsewhere. The problem I have is I am a parent who is suffering from these kids in the north end as I have recently had 4 windows of my (HIGH RENT) apartment windows put out and my landlords response is to kick me out, as my children go to school with some of these kids. My response is to make the parents accountable for their kids actions, raising rents is a good idea and it will certainly force some of the ( for lack of a better word) "lowlifes" out. I don't think that the "One Change" is making to much of a difference and don't think it will as some (if not most) of the kids in the program who help out are part of the problem. I recall last summer when they were using a sling shot as cars were driving by an a gentleman had his windshield shot out- the program was going on a trip the next day and the boys who caused the damage were able to go on the trip. Make any sense??? I as a parent keep my kids involved - and I spend time with them. I know where my kids are, who their with, and when they will be back at all times. I can only parent my kids not everyone else's. Does anyone remember the days when a neighbor would say, "I'm telling your mom" and you were scared to go home? nowadays if you said that to a kid and the kid tells you to "F" off. The parents in the North end community have no control and the kids have no respect for their community or their parents.

Crystalbeach
05-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Please don't paint every one in the north end with the same brush..
I live in the north end too...the children in our neighborhood are well behaved, polite and we have absolutely no problems here whatsoever...I certainly understand that there are pockets with major "lowlife" problems.

cuddles2007
05-05-2007, 01:42 PM
I remember the days back when i was 6-7 and i did something wrong . i was scared to come home, cuz i knew when i got home i would get in so much trouble. my little sister who is 16 has a friend who is 13 and the 13 yr old is preg. and her mother dont care i guess she is happy. now someone should go slap her mother in the head! because she is only 13 she cant go get a job or get her own place , so she will be on welfare. now i m not putting down people on welfare cuz sometimes thats the only way to get money! i remember being in school and hanging out with they "bad kids" but outside of school i wasnt allowed to . i find now its the familys who have been here for yrs(and we all know who they are) let their kids so whatever they want. i think its sad

eagallant
05-05-2007, 02:30 PM

Amen. I personally think the idea of ONE Change is great but they are very exclusive and I don't see much in the way of change. It's not the Old North End yet - it's still the old Indiantown. For only 19 years old, you have alot of wisdom and hit the nail right on the head.

eagallant
05-05-2007, 02:37 PM
I live in north end and am desperately seeking a place elsewhere. The problem I have is I am a parent who is suffering from these kids in the north end as I have recently had 4 windows of my (HIGH RENT) apartment windows put out and my landlords response is to kick me out, as my children go to school with some of these kids. My response is to make the parents accountable for their kids actions, raising rents is a good idea and it will certainly force some of the ( for lack of a better word) "lowlifes" out. I don't think that the "One Change" is making to much of a difference and don't think it will as some (if not most) of the kids in the program who help out are part of the problem. I recall last summer when they were using a sling shot as cars were driving by an a gentleman had his windshield shot out- the program was going on a trip the next day and the boys who caused the damage were able to go on the trip. Make any sense??? I as a parent keep my kids involved - and I spend time with them. I know where my kids are, who their with, and when they will be back at all times. I can only parent my kids not everyone else's. Does anyone remember the days when a neighbor would say, "I'm telling your mom" and you were scared to go home? nowadays if you said that to a kid and the kid tells you to "F" off. The parents in the North end community have no control and the kids have no respect for their community or their parents.

What's with the broken windows recently. You can't go anywhere an not see them. I too keep a close eye on my kids. If they misbehave, they are held accountable. My son (10) wasn't allowed to call friends the other day because he said "Hi, is little bobby there". He has to ask :"Hi, may I speak to little bobby, please". Respect is so lacking in society today.

The young teen girls I know off in One Change are great kids and deserve a pat on the back for what they are doing. They are good kids. Bet they punk that broke the window wasn't told he/she couldn't go on the trip (assuming ONE Chg knew about it) was fear of retribution from the parents/kid.

cuddles2007
05-05-2007, 02:59 PM
thank you eagallant:D. i moved uptown with my aunt 2 yrs ago and i moved back to the north end last yr and i looked around and its sad how kids do whatever they want, now uptown isnt that great either . but now that i have a 4 month old son . i have to think about him not just me. if they fixed up the northend i would stay here. but really if you think about it . there is no good parks to take your kids. there is the playground on brige st , but im always finding needles there. and there is the one in shamrock park that is really small. . there is so many abandon houses on main street too. it makes the north end look dirty. my mom lived on main street for yrs . and last summer a bunch of kids lit a couch on fire outside .

Tara
05-05-2007, 03:22 PM
I just moved to the north end, but the old rockwood courts. I must say I am very pleased with my decision to move here and I love it!

cuddles2007
05-05-2007, 05:49 PM
the rockwood courts arent bad im talking about main st and around that area

eagallant
05-06-2007, 09:30 AM
there is so many abandon houses on main street too. it makes the north end look dirty. my mom lived on main street for yrs . and last summer a bunch of kids lit a couch on fire outside .

Yeah I remember the fire. Stupid kids and they weren't that old. The abandoned houses around the North End kill me. Do you think the Mayor would allow these on his street or the people on KV drive would allow it? I don't think so. Bet you could find the addresses of all the council members and not find this disgrace anywhere near their houses.

It's time to call the building inspector every week and if all of us hounded him, it makes a difference. Things really do get done around here if the citizens stomp & holler (by calling - not fighting).

execution27
05-06-2007, 10:06 AM
people are the solution to the troubles in the north end your police are only as good as you allow them to be educate the people and the good will come

rhiley_08j
05-07-2007, 12:22 PM
You know, I think it is absolutely atrocious that people are blaming the problems with the North End on the area's economic stature. Income levels have absolutely nothing to do with a person's moral objectives.

The problem with the North End has alot to do with the absence of parenting. Also, the fact that landlords are either in fear of their tenants, or they have the non-chalant attitude of "I got bills to pay" and allow tenants to remain, that are contributing to the demoralization of the North End.

As for increasing rents to fix the issues that plague the North End, are you people for real. Do you honestly think that that would stop a drug dealer, for example, from renting a property? The only people that would be hindered by this type of solution would be those that cannot afford more expensive housing. Apparently this city already has a problem with affordable housing, so lets add to this even more? I suppose though, than instead of street crime in the North End, we could add homelessness to the list. Makes sense.

rhiley_08j
05-07-2007, 12:32 PM

For someone that lives in the North End, if you have such a problem with it, than why don't you do something to change it? You say that the One Change hasn't made much of a difference, and you may be right, but what have you done to assist the One Change?

As for classifying all parents in the North End to one stereotype, I find this greatly offensive. I have 4 wonderful children, who are well-liked by all my neigbours. The reason for this is because I believe in discipline, structure, and accountability for your actions.

It truly doesn't matter where you raise your children, it's how you raise your children.

cuddles2007
05-07-2007, 02:04 PM
yeah there is SOME good kids in the northend but not many. im from the north end, and when i was growing up i wasn't alowed to hang with most of the kids in my school. and if you look at most of them now . they had kids at a young age.or are up town selling their ass, or are crack heads, junkies . or in and out of jail their whole lifes. school drops out. I waited to have a child! The reason people move to the north end is because the rent is so cheap ! im living in an apt that is 475.00$ now thats cheap. i think its sad! i moved out of the northend to Halifax 3 yrs ago, and when i moved back i realized how dirty the north end is!

rhiley_08j
05-07-2007, 02:19 PM
yeah there is SOME good kids in the northend but not many. im from the north end, and when i was growing up i wasn't alowed to hang with most of the kids in my school. and if you look at most of them now . they had kids at a young age.or are up town selling their ass, or are crack heads, junkies . or in and out of jail their whole lifes. school drops out. I waited to have a child! The reason people move to the north end is because the rent is so cheap ! im living in an apt that is 475.00$ now thats cheap. i think its sad! i moved out of the northend to Halifax 3 yrs ago, and when i moved back i realized how dirty the north end is!

Question for ya though, when you are walking in the North End, do you pick up any of the garbage?

The reason I ask is because were I live there is a vacant lot that is always full of garbage, and everyone complains about it, but myself and my kids are usually the only ones concerned with cleaning it up. My philosophy is, if you don't like something than do something to change it.

The_Dave
05-07-2007, 02:58 PM
rhiley_08j is right!!! It is not about economics, it is about parenting or the lack of it. It is the parents fault that their kids are not taught better. Granted this will not guarantee that the kids will all be good, but at least they would have been taught right from wrong.

linder9
05-07-2007, 08:04 PM
My daughter and I have lived north for awhile now and she has a very active life...Maybe getting these children into some kind of sport or hobbie could help . My daughter loves her sports..She's a good kid ....We need to educate and occupy the young mind....

The_Dave
05-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Agreed!

Camaro
05-07-2007, 08:44 PM
This is a great idea! However, Longterm It does not fix the problem... It may on the North end, But then where do they go after they leave the north end? All the drug dealers n such? They go to other parts of town, Such as the East side, West side, Etc... The city has to get there a*! in gear and do more cause the city is getting more ghetto by the day. I lived in the north end for many years, And it was bad when I lived there, And it hasen't got any better. Tougher laws and more severe penalties are really the only way to deter the issue.

cuddles2007
05-07-2007, 08:49 PM
rhiley_08j is right!!! It is not about economics, it is about parenting or the lack of it. It is the parents fault that their kids are not taught better. Granted this will not guarantee that the kids will all be good, but at least they would have been taught right from wrong.

thats what im talking about. i know it not all the kids fault. and no ill be honest i dont pick up garbage but i don't litter either.

eagallant
05-08-2007, 06:43 AM
I agree with Cuddles & Camaro. It's not just the few bad kids in the neighborhood or the bad landlords or the lack of police get-up-and-go. It's a combination of issues. ONE Change hired this big company from NS to come in and basically do a needs assessment that took 3-4 days, maybe longer. It was along the same idea as what they did in the Bronx or Brooklyn to turn their really bad city around. Nothing ever came of it. I asked for a copy because I participated a fair bit in it and heard nothing. That would have been something they should have taken to the Mayor and discussed in open council and in the media - nothing. It could have proven to be a great tool.

The_Dave
05-08-2007, 09:23 AM
Gee eagallant, if that is the case, it sounds like they threw good money away that could have been used to better other areas of concern in the north end and other parts of the city! That tends to be a problem with special interest groups. They receive taxdollars and then they don't know how to handle it properly.

rhiley_08j
05-08-2007, 01:42 PM
Gee eagallant, if that is the case, it sounds like they threw good money away that could have been used to better other areas of concern in the north end and other parts of the city! That tends to be a problem with special interest groups. They receive taxdollars and then they don't know how to handle it properly.

That's a can a worms for another forum. Misappropriated funds.

rhiley_08j
05-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Here's a suggestion. If everyone has such an issue with the North End, than why doesn't everyone get involved and do something to change it. If you don't like something than you are the only one that is capable of changing what you don't like. Fix it. Volunteer your time and efforts for the good of the neighbourhood. Just a thought.

trinity
05-08-2007, 03:04 PM
If you don't pick up litter, you lose the right to complain about it. Just because you didn't put it there doesn't mean you can't pick it up. How do you know that someone deliberately "littered"? We had so many windstorms last year that I lost even the contents of TIED DOWN garbage cans from my back deck... god only knows where the garbage went, it certainly wasn't in my yard or on my street or in the back alley, it probably blew north :-)

The_Dave
05-08-2007, 03:11 PM
Gee rhiley_08j, can you elaborate on "Misappropriated funds". Do you have the inside scoop?

cuddles2007
05-08-2007, 03:35 PM
Here's a suggestion. If everyone has such an issue with the North End, than why doesn't everyone get involved and do something to change it. If you don't like something than you are the only one that is capable of changing what you don't like. Fix it. Volunteer your time and efforts for the good of the neighbourhood. Just a thought.

okay i would do something to change it but ," im at stay at home mom "with a 4 month old son. if u can get someone to watch my child that wont want too much money. then i would. do you do anything to change the north end?

cuddles2007
05-08-2007, 03:36 PM
If you don't pick up litter, you lose the right to complain about it. Just because you didn't put it there doesn't mean you can't pick it up. How do you know that someone deliberately "littered"? We had so many windstorms last year that I lost even the contents of TIED DOWN garbage cans from my back deck... god only knows where the garbage went, it certainly wasn't in my yard or on my street or in the back alley, it probably blew north :-)

did you pick up any garbage since then?

rhiley_08j
05-08-2007, 05:21 PM
okay i would do something to change it but ," im at stay at home mom "with a 4 month old son. if u can get someone to watch my child that wont want too much money. then i would. do you do anything to change the north end?

Did you not read the post where I said that I maintain the vacant lot across from my house? Also I pick up garbage on my block all the time, sweep the curbs, plant flowers, etc, etc... As for saying your hands are tied because of your child, my 4 year old will walk beside me and "help daddy pick up garbage".

Maybe if you wanted to do something, than you could put the baby in the stroller.

The_Dave
05-08-2007, 06:04 PM
rhiley_08j that is what I was thinking, also on the way to the mall or the store or the bank.

ONE Change
07-09-2007, 07:44 AM
Hey gang - I really appreciate the discussion. I think it is important to know that ONE Change is an entirely VOLUNTEER organization. (at this point, I would like to invite all of you to give us a call to help out - 635-2035).

What improves a neighbourhood is everybody doing what they can. This means that some can do more, and some can only do a little. If everyone does their bit - things will improve.

To address a couple of other points - while I agree that landlord's screening their tenants is VERY IMPORTANT, I disagree on raising the rents too much. There are people that can only afford these rents and all we would do is displace them to another poor neighbourhood. Part of the solution has to include helping those who wish to be helped to improve their situations.

The Charrette has been our blue print for these past two years. Of the 178 items listed "to do" we are working on 38 of them. It is available on-line (call the office 658-2035 to get the URL). eagallant, give us a call and we'll get you the url... it would cost about $25 per copy to produce and that would be money that would leave the area.

Thanks to all of you for the input - I look forward to more... and for those of you who want to help improve the O.N.E. - please give us a call - we are always looking for more volunteers.