PDA

View Full Version : Joints In Motion Fundraising..

jrmdes
05-05-2007, 03:15 AM
1 in every 6 people worldwide are living with arthritis. To date there is no cure or prevention. But it doesn't have to be this way.

In 1997 Joints In Motion (JIM) began in 1997 in the United States as a fundraiser for the Arthritis Foundation. In 2000 they had more then 3000 people take part in the marathon progra. Programs run in almost all of the states. This program has an adjusted gross income of 6 million dollars.

After much success in the US, The Arthritis Society dcided to try this program in Canada. In 1999 the program began as a pilot in Saskatchewan and British Columbia. The Saskatchewan division attended Walt Dsiney World Full and half Marathon in January 2000 while British Columbia attended Honolulu in December of 1999. The program brought much sucess to The Arthritis Society so the program was rolled out nationally the next year. JIM raised more than 2.5 million dollars in the first year as a national program. Since that time 1870 people have participated in the Joints In Motion Program raising in excess of 9 million dollars.

That is a little history of the JIM program. This year my best friend Scott O'Connor will be participating in a marathon in Athens, Greece. His goal is to raise $6300. This is where you come in. I would ask you to visit the link posted below and help him reach this goal. This is a very worthwhile cause. Even though you may not personally be affected by arthritis I am sure you know someone who is.

All donations can be made through the website provided to him by The Arthritis Society. Donations can be made by VISA only and you will be provided with an electronic receipt via E-mail. If you wish to make a donation via another method feel free to PM me here and we can make arrangements. I will provide a manual reciept for all other donations however it should be noted THESE ARE ONLY TAX DEDUCTABLE ON CANADIAN INCOME TAXES. Though I will give reciepts for all donations, it will only be used as verification that the money was given to The Arthritis Scoiety.

DONATE HERE
https://secure.e2rm.com/registrant/personalPage.aspx?EventID=2692&LangPref=en-CA&RegistrationID=298512 (https://secure.e2rm.com/registrant/personalPage.aspx?EventID=2692&LangPref=en-CA&RegistrationID=298512)

jg
05-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Hi What is this money used for?

scottoc
05-14-2007, 10:55 PM
Hi jg,

Sorry for the delay in answering. I'm Scott O'Connor and I am the one participating in the Joints in Motion program. I didn't even realize that my friend posted here until I stumbled onto it looking for something else.

So where does the money go?

The donations help in two ways: nationally and provincially.

Nationally, the money helps fund research and training programs in each of Canada's 16 medical schools, which enables doctors and scientists to pursue and expand their knowledge of arthritis and helps educate family physicians about rheumatic diseases.

Provincially, the Joints in Motion funding assists in the esablishment of patient self-help and information programs to help people with arthritis learn more about their disease and its treatment. This includes managing their arthritis more effectively and helping them enhance their medical treatment.

60% of the revenue goes directly to the charity with only 40% going to administrative costs. I don't have any exact numbers, but I hear this is very good in relation to other charities. I'm not trying to diminish any of the other very worthwhile charities out there though.

Before I started this I was probably like alot of other people out there, not knowing exactly how widespread and debilitating all the forms of arthritis were. Even some of the medications used to treat some forms of the disease have their dangers. But they are the only methods of treatment that we have right now. And without The Arthritis Society and its programs like the Joints in Motion program, that will not change.

I'm doing this to try and make as much of a difference as I can in the lives of people living with arthritis. This includes my grandmother. She just turned 90 and has arthritis in her back. She gets along very good for someone in their 90s I have to say. But there are those out there with arthritis milder than hers and those out there much, much worse off than her. I want to try and make a difference in all their lives. I'm not a scientist. I'm not a doctor. So, this is the best way I know how.

I would like to thank you for giving me the chance to get this message out, and thank anyone in advance for their donation no matter what the amount. Anything is needed and very much appreciated.

Thank you again,

Scott O'Connor
Joints in Motion Training Team Participant

P.S. Here is the link again to the secure website where you can make online donations if anyone would like to make them. It seems that, unlike before, we are accepting Visa, Mastercard, and American Express.
https://secure.e2rm.com/registrant/personalPage.aspx?EventID=2692&LangPref=en-CA&RegistrationID=298512

Again Thank You.