PDA

View Full Version : ?How-To?: Know the correct Tire Pressure on your car?

Freudian
05-03-2007, 11:12 PM
I have a 1997 VW GTI VR6 and try my best to keep the tires inflated all evenly and not let them get down more than a few PSI before adjusting them.

My question is, how do you know what the correct tire pressure for your specific tires on your specific car?

The car's manual and door jam indicate the correct tire pressures. That should be my answer there, but the reason I'm unsure, is because the door jam info is assuming you are using OEM/Factory tires.

I'm using Bridgestone Potenza G009 P205/50R15 tires most of the time, and sometimes P205/45R16 summer tires.

The tires indicate a MAX cold inflation pressure of 46 PSI and 36PSI respectively.

I generally just put 33 PSI in the Bridgestones and 32 PSI in the 16" tires based on the fact that I know most cars run 33-35 PSI and the max inflation pressure on the sidewalls.

Can someone straighten me out? I don't want to ruin my tires.

Andrew

richunclepennywise
05-04-2007, 05:51 AM
The door jamb is for your car......use it. the pressure on the tires is a max....if your car took more pressure than the max on the tires you shouldn't use those tires.

Also over or underinflating your tires can cause uneven wear.

ceg
05-04-2007, 05:45 PM
The PSI it suggests in your door frame is the one you should use. Each model of car has it's own required pressure. Always go by what is written inside the door frame.

Freudian
05-04-2007, 09:11 PM
Thanks everyone.

I've adjusted my tires to what the door jam says. Under 0-1/2 load it says 33/33 so that's what I've got set. Car rides fine.

Cheers

Andrew

The PSI it suggests in your door frame is the one you should use. Each model of car has it's own required pressure. Always go by what is written inside the door frame.

Rickster
05-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Must be young fellas,LOL,lol. The correct tire pressure for your tires ARE printed on your sidewall in the small print following the Tire's size. Although it does give you the maxium tire pressure allowed the "norm" is 2-4 lbs. less than suggested for a more comfortable ride(especially our streets). Once this is known you should also pick up a Tire-Guage as the public ones at service stations don't always stay accurate in time. Been there done that !!,lol. -Rick.

Freudian
05-05-2007, 10:13 PM
Neither set of my tires say the recommended tire inflation pressure. It only says the max allowable. I used to just take the max pressure and make a guestimate between that and 33psi. Haha.

I had a set of Michelin Artic Alpines for a couple years and they had a max pressure of 55psi. I put them at 44 PSI and they worked gret, but at 33 like the dealer let them out to gave me NO traction whatsoever. That's why I don't think the door-jam numbers are correct for all tires, but just the OE tires as someone else said.

I wish the tires gave a rec. psi.

I had a set a Z-Rated (280km/h+) tires (205/45R16) which were rated for 55psi. I put them at 46 or somthing. They were already ruined cause the wheels they were on are bent to heck.

Cheers.

Must be young fellas,LOL,lol. The correct tire pressure for your tires ARE printed on your sidewall in the small print following the Tire's size. Although it does give you the maxium tire pressure allowed the "norm" is 2-4 lbs. less than suggested for a more comfortable ride(especially our streets). Once this is known you should also pick up a Tire-Guage as the public ones at service stations don't always stay accurate in time. Been there done that !!,lol. -Rick.

kaj27
05-06-2007, 04:57 PM
The rating on the tires is just for the tire. Not for your car.

You have to take into account the load that you have in the car also. Some cars give you two different ratings depending on half load or full load.

Never inflate to what the rating on the tire says.