PDA

View Full Version : Chemical Technology

Bullet73
05-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Been accepted for this fall, looking for any and all info on the course. Course outline, texts, etc. Any info at all would be appreciated.

Thanks

kaj27
05-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Expect to have a hard time finding a job.

amethyst
05-03-2007, 09:58 PM
unless they leave the city that is. I work for a place that hires chem techs..and well...there's no jobs. Ohhh wait...IPP hires them.

t-bone
05-03-2007, 10:41 PM
Really?? Are there no jobs or are you just being negative?
I have heard that there there was lots of jobs for chem tech's. The refinery, the hospital, the mills, etc. Maybe the guy that told me that didn't know what he was talking about. Did you take the course?

amethyst
05-03-2007, 10:44 PM
"I'm" not being negative. truely.

t-bone
05-04-2007, 02:11 AM
'k. i am now enlightened and only 5 posts away from breaking 100!! woohoo!!

kaj27
05-04-2007, 09:10 AM
Really?? Are there no jobs or are you just being negative?
I have heard that there there was lots of jobs for chem tech's. The refinery, the hospital, the mills, etc. Maybe the guy that told me that didn't know what he was talking about. Did you take the course?

Two friends of mine took the course. One found a job else where in Canada the other is here making $12/hr doing almost nothing he was trained to do.

Once in a while you'll see a job posting for Irving, Rarely.

Cartersmom
05-04-2007, 12:22 PM
that sucks. I also heard there were lots of jobs for that..thank god DH didn't take it I guess.
Any of the other programs over there a bust?

Bullet73
05-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Does anyone have any factual information they can share?

Bullet73
05-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Yeah I did share some. Don't like it? Don't ask.

So I'll rephrase, does anyone have any intelligent, adult level information to share?? Perhaps someone who actually has taken the course......If you can't post a mature response, don't bother posting....

kaj27
05-10-2007, 09:10 PM
So I'll rephrase, does anyone have any intelligent, adult level information to share?? Perhaps someone who actually has taken the course......If you can't post a mature response, don't bother posting....

Look I'm trying to tell you something and you aren't listening. Now by you claiming I'm not an adult is absurd.

If you would like my friends e-mail you can talk to him and find out how hard it was for him to find a job in NB.

There was nothing immature about my post, I was providing information for you. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it's wrong.

Bullet73
05-11-2007, 08:29 AM
Look I'm trying to tell you something and you aren't listening. Now by you claiming I'm not an adult is absurd.

If you would like my friends e-mail you can talk to him and find out how hard it was for him to find a job in NB.

There was nothing immature about my post, I was providing information for you. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it's wrong.

Listen, I didn't say what you said was wrong, I just don't have an interest in what YOU have to say. I didn't find your information useful and my request for "factual" information (sorry to tell you) wasn't a remark meant for you. Judging by your 500+ posts I am sure you like to run around and offer your opinion, which is even more obvious now.......My request was simply for information pertaining to my original request, not for your "witty banter" that you seem to impress yourself so much with, on such an "adult" level. So if you don't like what I have to say in return, then don't post on my thread! Find a new hobby......

kaj27
05-13-2007, 01:02 PM
I'll find a new hobby when you find a job as a Chem. Tech.

Agreed?

t-bone
05-13-2007, 05:42 PM
i went back to school in '99. my experience in finding a job and watching my classmates find work was this. in addition to having an education that is in demand, a person also needs a strong resume and good interview skills. gradewise, some of the lower performers in my class got better jobs because they had good resumes going into the course and good interview skills. the girl at the top of the class never did find anything in our field. ask her and she will say the course sucked. the course didn't suck. she sucked at interviews.
my brother works for an employment agency. he was telling that companies will call him up and say that this person isn't working out. it is never because they don't know how to do the job. it is always because they just can't fit in.

Bullet73
05-13-2007, 07:44 PM
i went back to school in '99. my experience in finding a job and watching my classmates find work was this. in addition to having an education that is in demand, a person also needs a strong resume and good interview skills. gradewise, some of the lower performers in my class got better jobs because they had good resumes going into the course and good interview skills. the girl at the top of the class never did find anything in our field. ask her and she will say the course sucked. the course didn't suck. she sucked at interviews.
my brother works for an employment agency. he was telling that companies will call him up and say that this person isn't working out. it is never because they don't know how to do the job. it is always because they just can't fit in.

Now see, there's a response worth reading... that's they type of intellectual conversation you expect to find in a forum, unlike the post just previous to yours. Thank you t-bone. It's nice to know there are some people out there that actually have something worth while to say......

Anyone who has the illusion that just because you have the education means you'll get the job, is mistaken. You need to have a total package and some "personality" to go with it.....

As far as you kaj......I won't even dignify your post with a response...

nitric
05-13-2007, 08:18 PM
If I could do it again, I would not take Chem Tech. I got a job when I graduated and I have worked in a lab for almost 10 years, I really loved my job, Which was not in Saint John. I have recently moved back to Saint JOhn and I have not been able to find a position as a Chem Tech. I have an excellent resume. Unless you find a position with Irving in Saint John you most likely will not make great $$$$$$. There are a few other places, but no large lab or anything. You will most likely have to move away just to find a position as a Chem Tech. I think there are other fields out there that may offer a bigger variety of employers. Just my opinion! Good luck though, the instructors are great!

kaj27
05-13-2007, 08:19 PM
Well I tried. I offered you a chance to talk to someone who took the course, went through many interviews for the same jobs you will be looking for and you shot it down. Preaching to me about how I provided you with false information and how I was too immature to talk to you.

Step off your horse someday and join the rest of the world.

PS: Sue me for making a joke, sheesh.

Bullet73
05-14-2007, 07:32 AM
Nitric, thanks for your information. I am actually open to relocating, I would prefer to stay in the area, but if not, we’ll, so be it. I have made allot of contacts over the years, and have worked in the industry in other capacities. With a few major companies in the Maritimes going through large expansions in the coming years, you never know what might happen.....only time will tell I guess...

Kaj, again, I don't know what else to say, I never said your information was false.....all you have done is babel about me saying you we're immature, which I did not. I simply stated that I was looking to have an adult (meaning no smart remarks, or frankly, useless information) conversation with anyone who had first hand information about the course. I didn’t ask if anyone thought I could find a job. You just ASSUMED I wanted to stay in Saint John, and jumped to conclusions about the meaning of my statements. Your futher posts simply highlighted the fact that you wanted to exude dominance over "the forum" or maybe just have the last word.....Perhaps in your failed attempt to do so it has somehow made you insecure that maybe you are somewhat immature, as all you have done is babel and haven't said anything constructive.....anyone can forum hop and throw their opinion into the ring, but if your going to do so, at least know what your talking about, and don't take such a defensive stance when someone discredits you, or your information. Frankly, I didn't ask for your "friends" contact info, as based on my impression of you, through your "witty" retorts, I wasn't sure I would have liked to entertain a conversation with them either....bottom line is you have't said anything of any use and took offence to the fact that I asked for OTHERS opinions and didn't grovel at yours........get over yourself.....talk about getting "off your high horse......."

Thanks to everyone else who replied!!!!

t-bone
05-14-2007, 08:58 PM
to get a truly unbiased view of the opportunities in that or any field, the best thing to do is call up the places you hope to be working after you graduate. in order to get funding to go back to school, HRDC (skills, loans and grants) insisted that i do that.
i spent most of a day calling up the HR departments of a lot of different companies. almost everyone was very helpful and gave me a good idea of what to expect. who knows, you may even make some good contacts that will work for you later. good luck!

Damage82
05-28-2007, 11:16 AM
My wife took the course(3 years). She could not and still has not found a job in her field in SJ, she currently drives to fredericton everyday to get to work. Right now the chances of getting a chem tech job in this city is slim to none.