PDA

View Full Version : Saint John Energy

mattpage84
05-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Has anyone else had a problem with saint john energy over charging them? even with all my utility's OFF for a month an only one when we use them im still be charged well over 400+ a month, and they wont come out and look at my metere, any help in this regard would be appreciated

girdy
05-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Not sure if you're in a house or an apartment. If you're in an apartment/duplex and your power bill is big, maybe someone is using your juice - deliberately or because it was connected that way in the past. There have been a couple of other posts about that recently.

Suggest marking down the meter reading yourself and monitoring - if you have nothing in your house running and the meter is whizzing around, something is wrong ... if you have something in your house that is drawing the power, an electrician might be able to help out. Saint John energy is only responsible to get power to the meter, beyond that it's your problem if you're the property owner.

You could try shutting off the circuit breaker in your house, and if the meter is still whizzing around then it would be Saint John Energy's responsibile to check the meter. Either the meter is bad, or if you're in an apartment, it means someone is stealing your power.

mattpage84
05-03-2007, 02:56 PM
well i am living in a house that has been converted into 2 apt's. but its my landlord who lives upstairs, and my power was actually shut off around jan, and he didnt notice any loss in his services, im gonna have to try shutting down the breakers, but im paying over 400+ a month for a 2 bd apt, my parents 3 story house on nb power in the country is using less wattage then my apt is, but about half even over christmas, and they go all out every year

magoosmomma
05-03-2007, 03:16 PM
sounds like you may be paying for the upstairs utlities too.. I would have someone check into it

SaskSask
05-03-2007, 03:26 PM
I've heard they guess (estimate) some months based on previous yr/month use.

Seems like a great system for them...

girdy
05-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Unless it's one awful big drafty house, $400 a month for a floor in a house seems way too much. We're on NB Power in a 20 year old house, heat about 2300 sq. feet, and our highest bill this winter was less than $400 for electric heat.

A bit touchy about how to do it given you're not the building owner, but agree with magoosmother that you should get someone in to look at it on the sly. If you have access to the wiring entrance, maybe have an electrical inspector come in when your landlord wouldn't be around.

mattpage84
05-03-2007, 03:56 PM
well like i said before it was off for about 4-6 days a few months ago, and there was no loss in any of there utility's which leads me to believe its just mine, the house it self is about 90 years old so it is pretty old, but we literally only have 1 baseboard heater, the hot water tank, and some other small appliances like microwaves and stuff on, and its still the same every month guaranteed. i tried to get someone to look at it from sj energy an they said someone had just came out. Im going into them tomorrow and bringing a copy of my parents bill from nb power for comparison.