PDA

View Full Version : gas price and road repairs

wiggy
05-03-2007, 11:44 AM
If the government were repairing the roads and the pot holes as fast they are raising the gas prices we would not have any pot holes at all , maybe if the government had to repair and pay for repairs to cars and trucks that were damage due to poor road repairs they would not be play with gas pricing

space
05-03-2007, 11:59 AM
normally they say that when a war is going on, or an earthquake the gas will go up. this might sound weird but I had read it on the net the other day that 6 nigerian oil field works had been kidnaped and this the reason why gas price has gone up.. lol

kaj27
05-03-2007, 12:36 PM
The Government doesn't raise the price of gas, The market does. Oil is over $60 a barrel.

girdy
05-03-2007, 12:57 PM
A couple links I found interesting - because it seems right now New Brunswick certainly isn't the highest priced gas around - in fact it seems we're below Canada average.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_can_gastemperaturemap.aspx

http://www6.autonet.ca/News/story.cfm?story=/News/2007/05/01/4146399-cp.html

mattpage84
05-03-2007, 01:41 PM
we may be below the average in canade, but we also have a fully functioing refinery over on the east side, its just more beneficial for Irving to export it cause he makes more money on it

notfarnow
05-03-2007, 01:51 PM
lol, it's all a great big conspiracy... Government, big business....

Individual consumers have no responsibility, just blame The Man

complain complain complain

Guess what... you don't NEED to buy gas. You are CHOOSING to. Problem is we're ADDICTED to the convenience of having a car, but that doesn't mean we need it. You can live in town, you can use public transport, you can use cabs.

If you NEED gas for your day to day routine, that's because YOU have made choices to set your life up that way. YOU decide where to buy a house, YOU decide whether or not to use public transport.

Stop complaining, take some responsibilty and GROW UP

kaj27
05-03-2007, 02:05 PM
lol, it's all a great big conspiracy... Government, big business....

Individual consumers have no responsibility, just blame The Man

complain complain complain

Guess what... you don't NEED to buy gas. You are CHOOSING to. Problem is we're ADDICTED to the convenience of having a car, but that doesn't mean we need it. You can live in town, you can use public transport, you can use cabs.

If you NEED gas for your day to day routine, that's because YOU have made choices to set your life up that way. YOU decide where to buy a house, YOU decide whether or not to use public transport.

Stop complaining, take some responsibilty and GROW UP

Most of the cabs here run a lot worse than my car. They are using gas as well. How is that helping?

The buses may use diesel but that's the same thing.

I don't complain about the price of gas. I can drive a month on one tank.

notfarnow
05-03-2007, 02:19 PM
I don't complain about the price of gas. I can drive a month on one tank.

I was talking about the people who complain.

It's like listening to a heroin addict complain about the price of drugs. You feel bad, but you kinda don't

I buy gas too, but I do so because I MADE DECISIONS that made me dependant on my car. They were MY CHOICES.

fullprop
05-03-2007, 02:29 PM
Not to mention the fact that North American gas users have been spoiled for years. Other developed countries pay 2 and 3 times what we pay. Heck the wife had Good Morning America on this morning and in the United Arab Emirates, which is quite an oil and money rich area, and they pay $5 a gallon.

notfarnow
05-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Amen. Price of gas really should be $3-4/liter. Then we'd start seeing changes

s4q19
05-03-2007, 03:12 PM
I think some people do take responsibility and they are grown up. It's just unfortunate for those of us who buy vehicles that are as fuel-efficient as we can afford, and do make a conscious effort to reduce our fuel consumption. Am I glad I have my own car? Yes. Could I stop driving it? maybe I could. I live out in the valley, and go to school full time at UNBSJ and work near full time. Yes, I could move into an apartment in the city, but quite frankly I'd like to have something to show after 5 years of 400 dollars a month. I don't think it's feasible that everyone in the greater saint john area should be expected to move to within walking distance.

Am I complaining about the PRICE of gas? Not so much. Maybe the fact that gas is creeping on a 1.50/liter will make joe blow consumer think twice about buying the earth-devastating humvee.. What I think is absolutely ridiculous is the fact that Exxon mobile posted a 36 billion dollar profit last year, a record making year for ANY American company in history. Sure, we live in a capitalist society, and it's their prerogative to follow capitalism till the death. Does that make it right? Hardly. Does that mean I'm passing up responsibility for my choosing to buy a car? not at all.

SaskSask
05-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Hate to say it...but perhaps the gov needs to take over the oil industry in Canada.

notfarnow
05-03-2007, 03:17 PM
Hate to say it...but perhaps the gov needs to take over the oil industry in Canada.

naw

we need the oil industry to take over the gov't

SaskSask
05-03-2007, 03:20 PM
I think it already has....

s4q19
05-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Doesn't really matter if the gov takes it over... look at NB power. Posted a 94 million dollar profit last year (don't quote me on the figure... but it was big) and they're still hiking rates. They get away with it though because they're a monopoly.

SaskSask
05-03-2007, 03:29 PM
I think it would matter a lot.....ask Alberta!

s4q19
05-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Maybe that's the one place where the gov. isn't corrupted... lol.

girdy
05-03-2007, 03:59 PM
Doesn't really matter if the gov takes it over... look at NB power. Posted a 94 million dollar profit last year (don't quote me on the figure... but it was big) and they're still hiking rates. They get away with it though because they're a monopoly.

They posted an operational profit because of the excess energy generated by the record spring flood on the Saint John river. Given that their debt (i.e. our debt) is billions of dollars, the operational profit was applied to the debt.

You can't plan rates based on expecting record floods every year.

s4q19
05-04-2007, 02:15 PM
I just think it's kind of funny because in a report they released this month they claim that the relatively larger rate increase is due to the fact that last years rate increase was "not enough" for them...

I'm not sure what the regular income from hydro generation is for NB power, but a 96 million surplus from a division that generates 884MW of 3313MW seems steep.

Also, I could be wrong about this, but if the hyrdo was doing so well, why wouldn't NB power back-off of the non-renewable energy burning plants (IE coal, oil, diesel and Orimulsion)? In lieu of recent environmental issues coming to a boil, this would make sense.

And to the post that says "we need the oil industry to take over the govt", I completely misread.. lol.. I thought you meant the Gov take over the oil industry... The problem with that, even tho it does benefit prices, is that economics would then come before policy (not to say it doesn't now... but it would even more so). It'd be nice to have a government in office where policy comes before economics. We see examples of this economics first in our own city. "Look at all the jobs the LNG project will create!" jobs are good, don't get me wrong, but the government made the decision based on economics.... not policy. Everyone is going for a greener-tomorrow, the question is, what green are they really striving for?

Rickster
05-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Kaz; Hey man, the Government IS responsible for the price of gas as the negotiate the price per barrel they pay and in turn reflect that down to their buyers. If one is going to complain about a system then they should at first know about how it works in order to validate the crying and complaints they make !!??- Rick.

wiggy
05-05-2007, 08:24 AM
nothing done about the pot holes on the mackay highway , the government should be picking up the repair bills ,if they pick them up maybe they would fix them in a hurry,with the size of the holes there must be a lot damage to front ends oc automobiles lately we have a poor government that takes taxes but does not do anything for the working class of people today

6sixstring6
05-05-2007, 09:40 AM
Kaz; Hey man, the Government IS responsible for the price of gas as the negotiate the price per barrel they pay and in turn reflect that down to their buyers. If one is going to complain about a system then they should at first know about how it works in order to validate the crying and complaints they make !!??- Rick.

Sorry Rick, but I think you need a refresher on how it works. The government doesn't negotiate the price on the world market or any other market for that matter. The oil refiners and marketers negotiate to buy it from the oil producing countries and it is not really negotiations, it is by a bid process like most other commmodities bought and sold. The wholesale price is set by what the market will bear and if we keep buying it at whatever the price is, then it's not going to go down. Like notfarnow said, we have made ourselves dependant on it and we will keep buying it.