PDA

View Full Version : My Beef with the SJPD

gumbyone
05-01-2007, 08:09 PM
So were driving up town a couple of weeks ago and while sitting at a red light one of the kids points out a cop car sitting beside us and says that hes not wearing his seatbelt. I looked over and he really wasn't. So now I find my self looking whenever i see a car and sure enough out of seeing 8 cars in 2 weeks only 2 of them had seat belts on. One of them not wearing it whom i have seen a cpl of times was the supervisor in his big Dodge 4x4.

Talk about SJ's finest setting a good example...

Dave

Cherry Pop
05-01-2007, 08:13 PM
I have to agree that it does set a bad example but I'm wondering if there could be a reason like them having to get in and out of the car quickly in a emergency situation.

sarahnb
05-01-2007, 08:33 PM
How about them smoking in their vehicles? I don't think that's setting a good example either.

gumbyone
05-01-2007, 08:35 PM
How about them smoking in their vehicles? I don't think that's setting a good example either.

Now that I totally agree with... lets admit it, its technically public properly.

Dave

Tremc
05-01-2007, 09:19 PM
I rarley make any comments on this but reading this kind of irritated me. These men and women are out there making our streets a safer place to be... and yet... you people are complaining about frivolous things. Who cares if they aren't wearing their seat belts? Who cares if they are smoking in the cars? I sure don't!
Will you be complaining about these brave officers when YOU need them?? We all complain about them when we get busted... but when in need we praise them.
Sorry I don't understand...

sjchickie
05-01-2007, 09:24 PM
lady listen...these people are right. How do you expect youth of today to grow up understanding that we are all equal if those who in law enforcement don't follow them themselves.
They also talk on their cell phones and thats unacceptable. We are all human and they don't get a big golden vito cause they have a badge. I respect what they do for us but its completely unethical to let them differ from the rest of us. Let's teach our children that if they become cops they can do things they wouldn't normally be able too?????

Come on...we aren't saying they are horrible people just stating the facts

Cherry Pop
05-01-2007, 09:24 PM
But not wearing your seatbelts is against the law and you can be fined for it!

gumbyone
05-01-2007, 09:27 PM
I rarley make any comments on this but reading this kind of irritated me. These men and women are out there making our streets a safer place to be... and yet... you people are complaining about frivolous things. Who cares if they aren't wearing their seat belts? Who cares if they are smoking in the cars? I sure don't!
Will you be complaining about these brave officers when YOU need them?? We all complain about them when we get busted... but when in need we praise them.
Sorry I don't understand...

hmm but yet I have to wonder who will be paying for them when they are injured because they didnt have them on.

and secondly the law is the law, becuse they are protecting people they are allowed to do what they want? hmmm ill just be there to help you after I finish my beer, oh yea because I am the law the drinking and driving law doesnt apply to me. if you think your above one law sometimes it just doenst stop there.

dave

vanessalynn5484
05-01-2007, 09:37 PM
The officers should be wearing their seatbelt. What would their mother's say! As for the smoking, I would let that one slide. Maybe that is not setting the best example, but give them a break they work very hard and have a very stressful job. I could never imagine seeing what they see everyday and being able to cope with all of it.

Since most officers have probably seen the bloody aftermath, I doubt they would be foolish enough to drink and drive. There are bad seeds in every line of work, but I do not feel that is a far comparison.

NoseToTheGrind
05-01-2007, 09:46 PM
My 2 cents : I do have to agree with the majority here, BUT the main thing i think of is they are here for our safety, and sometime their jobs require them to drive a hell of alot faster than most, so wouldn't they really need to have them, not just for example, but for their own safety as well ?

The_Dave
05-01-2007, 11:07 PM
They are exempt as they are an emergency vehicle. If they have to take part in a high speed chase they buckle up, I have seen it. As for the smoking issue, they are driving around all shift, protecting our city. I do not care if they smoke with themselves in the car. It is better than smoking and promoting pot like some people on this site do. I would call that a terrible example for young kids. Lighten up (pardon the pun) on our city's finest, they do a great job and deserve some leeway.

yoyoyip
05-01-2007, 11:59 PM
I actually think the smoking in the police car is illegal too. If I'm not mistaken, when the smoking ban was instituted... it included the workplace and I think it specifically mentioned company vehicles....

krista25
05-02-2007, 12:25 AM
This is true. The smoking ban does include company vehicles.
A little off topic, but I absoutley hate it when cab drivers smoke in the cars! I shouldn't have to call and ask for a non smoking car!
Vent over. I don't care that the police smoke in the cars, because I have never been in one! LOL.....If I ever become a criminal I'll let you know how I feel then:rofl:

amethyst
05-02-2007, 06:30 AM
I'd rather see them smoking in their cars than standing beside the car on the side of the road somewhere...
As for seatbelts...i don't think they are required to wear one...i could be wrong...but i don't think so.

There are more important things to complain about around here than whether or not a cop is smoking in his car.

babydollbrat
05-02-2007, 07:09 AM
I agree with Tremc The Dave and amethyst.
Great post The Dave!!!
But you know how it is.....some people just need to find something to rant about.

Cherry Pop
05-02-2007, 07:37 AM
They are exempt as they are an emergency vehicle. If they have to take part in a high speed chase they buckle up, I have seen it. As for the smoking issue, they are driving around all shift, protecting our city. I do not care if they smoke with themselves in the car. It is better than smoking and promoting pot like some people on this site do. I would call that a terrible example for young kids. Lighten up (pardon the pun) on our city's finest, they do a great job and deserve some leeway.

I don't care about the smoking part but why are they exempt from wearing seatbelts? Is there a reason or is it just because? (I'm just curious)

amethyst
05-02-2007, 07:42 AM
it's in case they need to get out of the vehicle in a hurry...they'd lose precious seconds doing that.

If i'm not mistaken...delivery drivers don't need them either...they are in and out of their vehicles constantly.

vanessalynn5484
05-02-2007, 08:19 AM
I'd rather see them smoking in their cars than standing beside the car on the side of the road somewhere...
As for seatbelts...i don't think they are required to wear one...i could be wrong...but i don't think so.

VERY good point about a cop pulling over for a "smoke break". I'd rather him smoke and drive too!

trinity
05-02-2007, 08:26 AM
I agree. Normally I too don't have much good to say about the police, but I don't think it is any of our business whether or not they have seatbelts on or are smoking, the only issue with smoking is are they driving alone or with a partner? If the other officer does not smoke, are they being forced to be exposed to second hand smoke? They LIVE in that car for hours at a time, and some days I'm sure its pretty stressful. In fact, regarding the seat belts, I don't know about you but I would much rather the officer be able to get out of the car fast and help me, the seconds it takes to find the buckle and undo it might cost them a chance to stop something bad from happening.

vanessalynn5484
05-02-2007, 08:46 AM
My step-sister was almost killed in a crash. She didn't have her seatbelt on, and if she would have she probably would have died. Due to the nature of the crash.

Not that this is the norm. I always buckle up, it's a habit.

So the seatbelt did not save her life but I would have to agree with trinity and say that every second sooner emergency services got to her helped to save her life.

It was not even a month before prom and she was in surgery with a tube down her throat.

It is kind of a off topic I guess....

Mandi
05-02-2007, 08:49 AM
Seat belts on police officers... honestly. In a high stress situation they could get caught in it, and that's why some choose not to wear them. In some cases yes, they are above the law. If it bothers you so much, move to Quebec and don't wear one either. Honestly, these people are saving your life daily. Half of what goes on around here never makes it to the news. Who cares if they're not wearing a seatbelt. Unless one of them gets hurt from it, I don't.

sjchickie
05-02-2007, 10:01 AM
They should not be exempt from the law either way. Its called lead by example. Obviously there are exceptions to such rules but How many of us have watched the police stop at a red light turn their lights on till they go through and then shut them off on the other side???? For every 5 great officers there is 1 corrupt one.

I just think that they should be held accountable for acting unlawful like we are. *removed* I think its a sad world, cops getting arrested for a slew of different things....they shame our country! I just don't see the law as black and white anymore its a HUGEEEEEE grey area!!!!!

vanessalynn5484
05-02-2007, 10:07 AM
For every 5 people there is 1 corrupt one.

Mandi
05-02-2007, 10:16 AM
They should not be exempt from the law either way. Its called lead by example. Obviously there are exceptions to such rules but How many of us have watched the police stop at a red light turn their lights on till they go through and then shut them off on the other side???? For every 5 great officers there is 1 corrupt one.

I just think that they should be held accountable for acting unlawful like we are. *removed*. I think its a sad world, cops getting arrested for a slew of different things....they shame our country! I just don't see the law as black and white anymore its a HUGEEEEEE grey area!!!!!
Lead by example? Would you risk your life for someone you don't know no questions asked, every day. That's leadership. I have never seen a police officer turn their lights on for a red light, but would have to agree that with any other profession, some do it for the 'perks'.

sjchickie
05-02-2007, 10:37 AM
I don't see it as leadership but....thats just my opinion. And I don't know if you drive or not mandi but MANY of them do it. I was having a convo with my dad the other day about how he had seen it the other night. I dunno i understand that they risk their lives for us everyday but this is saint john NB nothing EVER happens here no police officer has died here in years. So i mean yeah a New York City cop i would say risks their lives everyday...even a Toronto or montreal cop...but there is no reason in a place such as this that they cant obey traffic lights, seat belt laws, and talking on cel phones while driving. They make $$$$$ get a wireless headset like my dad does while driving the bus!!!!!!!!!

Yes lead by example have you not ever heard that term. Our kids are gonna be the future of this country and really I truly am starting to believe that by the time my daughter has kids this continent will be 100X worse than it is now. I'm far from a pessimist but I am a realist and not enough people are willing to step up and change the direction this world is going in

amethyst
05-02-2007, 10:39 AM
again...the seatbelt law does NOT apply to them. And it is dangerous around here...not as bad as a big city...but drug raids ect CAN go wrong. And did you not have alot to say in the Rockwood park thread...funny how nothing ever happens here though.

I don't see it as leadership but....thats just my opinion. And I don't know if you drive or not mandi but MANY of them do it. I was having a convo with my dad the other day about how he had seen it the other night. I dunno i understand that they risk their lives for us everyday but this is saint john NB nothing EVER happens here no police officer has died here in years. So i mean yeah a New York City cop i would say risks their lives everyday...even a Toronto or montreal cop...but there is no reason in a place such as this that they cant obey traffic lights, seat belt laws, and talking on cel phones while driving. They make $$$$$ get a wireless headset like my dad does while driving the bus!!!!!!!!!

mattpage84
05-02-2007, 10:52 AM
ive actually seen and followed cops with there lights on until they get to tim hortons or mcdonalds, an also a cop is only legally allowed to drive up to 100 kmph in the city and 160 on the highway, an there is alot more corruption in the ranks, in saint john at least, then most ppl realize, i grew up with a guy who's father was a cop, and he is currently in the process of going to court to remove most of the corrupt officers. these are all facts, and not just random ranting, but i do agree the cops should nnot be anymore exempt then anyone else

space
05-02-2007, 11:15 AM

I just think that they should be held accountable for acting unlawful like we are. Who are we to know which cops are corrupt and which aren't. I think its a sad world, cops getting arrested for a slew of different things....they shame our country! I just don't see the law as black and white anymore its a HUGEEEEEE grey area!!!!!

I agree!! I see this constantly. just last week driving up union st coming close to chipman hill there was a car at that corner of chipman hill lady driver waiting to get out.. a police car behind her. as I made a left turn onto hazen st the cop then turn his siren and flashing lights on to get out from that corner.. and the lady was still sitting at that corner. when I made my left turn i pull over the cop drove by me lights a siren was off and he was talking on the cell. some of them think that they shouldn't have to wait at a red light or at a corner waiting to proceed thru traffic! then when u call and complain.. ther excuse is well they must of had a call but once thru the red light the call may have been cancelled.. LMFAO!!

girdy
05-02-2007, 01:39 PM
So the police go and do an excellent job at tracking down and arresting a suspected murderer. There isn't a complimentary comment about that, rather some people start zeroing in on their seat belt usage. Their going about their business with some measure of efficiency is a good thing, because they may get to the 10'th call on their list a bit faster and stop an issue from happening. That lives are so good here that the worst issue people can find to whine about is seatbelt use, is in no small part due to the work they do. Maybe you could cut them some slack, and show them some gratitude.

Mandi
05-02-2007, 01:50 PM
Agreed! I am so tired oof people only complaining/ Our police force works hard. I don;t have a single complaint about them... Until my brother is done training to be one at least. LOL

stripekv
05-02-2007, 01:54 PM
Saint John'ers complain about anything and everything, that's all they seem to do. If you give them 1 million dollars one day, the next day they'll be complaining they want 2 million more.

So the police go and do an excellent job at tracking down and arresting a suspected murderer. There isn't a complimentary comment about that, rather some people start zeroing in on their seat belt usage. Their going about their business with some measure of efficiency is a good thing, because they may get to the 10'th call on their list a bit faster and stop an issue from happening. That lives are so good here that the worst issue people can find to whine about is seatbelt use, is in no small part due to the work they do. Maybe you could cut them some slack, and show them some gratitude.

vanessalynn5484
05-02-2007, 02:20 PM

Very well said! (applause)

vanessalynn5484
05-02-2007, 03:28 PM
My beef is that we don't have one of those calendars displaying our hottest officer's assets.

There are some cute ones, and girls they may be single. Now a policeman is a catch ladies. I've had the pleasure of chatting with some who are very charming.

Thank goodness for the thin blue line;)

Just trying to lighten things up lol

I think that we should all feel very safe. The first murder to happen this year and the police caught the killer in a few days. I have never actually noticed or cared if a policeman was wearing his/her seat belts. But I do bet their mother's preferred they did :S.

je12122
05-02-2007, 04:43 PM
I dunno i understand that they risk their lives for us everyday but this is saint john NB nothing EVER happens here no police officer has died here in years.

I can't believe that someone actually said this, are you seriously that Naive ? Just because they don't die doesn't mean they don't risk their lives.. Come on, there is a lot going on in this city then most of us know, but read the paper. Just because we haven't lowered ourselves to drive by shootings yet, get a life and realize the police do a lot for us so give it up with the whole seatbelt thing. Just suck it up...it's not going to change anyway.

Again, as I said in other posts, if you think things are bad here, try moving to a big city and see how things work there, I guarantee you that you have no reason to complain.

On another note, a lot of you are the same individuals that posted under the rockwood park incident earlier this week.....for someone to say that this is Just Saint John and no cops have died, if someone is capable of killing such a great guy you are telling me that if a cop had showed up there there wasn't a chance the killer could have shot at a cop??!!! Come on....if you are this naive someday soon..unfortunately, you'll get a big surprise, cause things in this world are changing and we should keep the Police force on our good side and respect them.

Hoping I didn't desrespect anyone about the Rockwood Park Incident, my thoughts and prayers are with Kevin's family and friends and I'm sorry that something like this happened to such a wonderful person.

trinity
05-02-2007, 05:10 PM
I dunno i understand that they risk their lives for us everyday but this is saint john NB nothing EVER happens here no police officer has died here in years.

I agree, I have worked the night shift at a hotel for 6 years, before that I drove the overnight shift for a taxi company part time while I worked another full time job. There is a lot more that goes on than people see-I think half of the officers jobs are about covering up what happened so the good people of SJ don't get scared. Sure, almost all of the violent crime that happens here happens between people who know each other, but it can still turn violent. No, they don't give a hoot if all your belongings were stolen, they will never even bother looking, better have insurance. I guess they know that most of the time, it is pointless and mostly unprovable in court so why bother?

girdy
05-02-2007, 05:45 PM
I agree, I have worked the night shift at a hotel for 6 years, before that I drove the overnight shift for a taxi company part time while I worked another full time job. There is a lot more that goes on than people see-I think half of the officers jobs are about covering up what happened so the good people of SJ don't get scared. Sure, almost all of the violent crime that happens here happens between people who know each other, but it can still turn violent. No, they don't give a hoot if all your belongings were stolen, they will never even bother looking, better have insurance. I guess they know that most of the time, it is pointless and mostly unprovable in court so why bother?

Cool - we have our own Men In Black! Anyone seen any ET's lately?

Only kidding.

I think the lack of focus on stolen property is inevitable and prudent. We all complain about taxes, so there aren't as many police as we'd like - maybe we just can't afford the level of protection we want. Get rid of drug dealers, you have fewer addicts, and then you have fewer people stealing your stuff. So in the big picture, any time spent trying to get your stuff back is time not spent on trying to get rid of the drug dealers. Maybe it's not as simple as that, but there isn't money (i.e. officers) available for them to be all things to all people. I had a house break-in and vehicle stolen when I lived in Toronto so know how personally offensive it is when some scum take off with your stuff. But other than getting some serial numbers from you, which they can do on the phone, there's not much they can do by looking and agreeing with you that, yes, your stereo isn't there any more.

GameGuy
05-03-2007, 01:06 AM
Something to ponder about our Police and Fire services.
We can't get by without them.

In response to previous posts:

Fact.
Police use cell phones to contact sergents and other police services
on a regular basis during a shift. Especially if its a sensitive topic.

Fact.
Police are not required to wear a seatbelt for their own safety.

Some useless statistices...

Fact.
Did you know that 68% of firemen have a 2nd job and use the night shift
to rest up for the next days work. Yes, they get paid to sleep all night IN
case there is a fire...WTF ??? What happend to sleeping on your own time and being ready for your shift like the rest of the world ???
Free meals, Pool tables at the station, poker games...and why not,
they are stuck at the station until they get a call that an elderly lady
fell and can't get up. ( yes I know, when they work, they work hard
its just not very often...LOL)

Fact.
Firemen ( pumper trucks, full gear and all) respond to almost EVERY 911
call where somebody is potentially injured. Can any guess what happens when these call come in at 4:00 am ?
Unless there is a NEED for a fireman, they let the police and ambulance
service handle it...they need their sleep. LOL

More useless info...

Fact.
There are dozens and dozens of police stations across Canada waiting for new recruits.

Fact.
There are hundreds and hundreds of people on a waiting list to join the Fire Department in our area alone. We know a good, well paying job that lets you sleep on your overnight shift when we see one. ( good luck getting that shift,
there is a waiting list there too)

Fact.
The only reason you don't see many firemen fooling around is because they are always at the station. So don't kid yourself, there are jokers in every profession and exposure is key to being noticed.

Fact.
Anyone who claims to follow anyone around and report that they
go to Tim's might have a personal issue of their own.
You know, some people actually need coffee to help them stay alert on a 12 hour shift, especially when confined to the front seat of a car AND remain awake. ( I bet a few have taken naps before, but its not tolerated like it was in the 60's & 70"s

Lot's of stuff here for everyone to comment on,
I can't wait to hear it.

GG.

Mandi
05-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Do you prefer narcotic or hallucinogen to drugs, because all are used in the dictionary definition.
Police officers are tried at higher standards as well. A police officer who breaks the law, (drugs, I don't even want to think anything else at the moment.) get stiffer punishments. They're very much held accountable for their actions like the rest of us. I haven't seen any instances of police officers breaking the law around here, so I guess I am lucky. They have very difficult jobs. I know that they sign up for it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't take a special kind of person to be a police officer. I could never ever go to a place and keep my cool if someone said point blank that they were a child molester. I would likely hospitalize them, and they would be lucky to have their genitalia in tact. VERY lucky. Their job is difficult, whether we live in a small 'nothing happens here' city or not.
How are they to work harder? They're already understaffed.

trinity
05-03-2007, 05:40 PM
You know, I just started working a later shift so I am walking to work 5 hrs later than I used to, and boy, do I now see a whole lot more police cars on that time of night, just driving around. It makes me feel a little better strolling the south end at 11 pm knowing that most likely there is a squad car only a few blocks away. Not that I was ever afraid to walk in the south end anyway, I really want to see the day that someone attempts to mess with me LOL. I'm not tough,fast or strong, but I am bored, I have a foul temper when crossed, I have no fear of death or pain and I believe in reincarnation so guess what? Go ahead punk, make my day! The presence of the police just makes it more likely that I will get to work, on time.
Plus, I have had a few incidents at work recently that have slightly uppped my opinion of the police... I still hate them for not ever catching or charging anyone who robbed my house (twice), my store(twice), my credit card identity, my car (twice), my purse, my back deck etc despite at times having license plates, witnesses, IP addresses with verified email addresses, catching people actually in the act....but I guess I need to get over the loss of money, my business (we had to shut down, the last robbery took our last bit of cash for the mortgage), my bike, my car windows, my purses ....

vanessalynn5484
05-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Not To Self: Make friends with trinity and never surprise her in the dark.

:D

t-bone
05-04-2007, 02:07 AM
i read some where that if alchol was just discovered today, it would be classified as a type 2 drug and would only be available with a prescription. just thought i would share that.

boo35
05-04-2007, 05:49 AM
Boy you guy's r brutal on here..lol! anyhow hat's off to the boy's in blue,I have had two incidents happen in the last two months..boy's in blue where there to serve and protect!! Hat's Off to you guy's".Oh yeah Dave you are way too funny...hee hee.

The_Dave
05-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Thanks boo35. Ok folks thats all stop and smell the roses. Week end is here.

mizunderstood
05-05-2007, 02:33 PM
They are the Law, They are not ABOVE it... Having said that I think that they do a great job for the most part here in Saint John.

t-bone
05-05-2007, 09:37 PM
the city police are have to see and deal with a lot more than the rothesay police, and they handle themselves much better. the city police are more professional.

ceg
05-06-2007, 09:32 AM
I don't think it's that the Rothesay Police are less professional, I just think it's a smaller area and they know a large majority of the people. It may seem unprofessional to some people to see a cop chatting away with someone but it keeps them in touch with the community.

As for the post about firemen, I have a friend in training to be one and trust me, they bust their butts all the time. So what if they sleep at night? You know how lightly they have to sleep and that they are pretty much on edge waiting for that siren to go off?

Everytime someone calls 911, they HAVE to be there. Same as one ambulance and one police car. I've seen them uptown all the time on calls. And just a few nights ago they fought 2 or 3 fires in a matter of hours.

I respect the firemen and police for what they do and the crap they take. Most people talk bad about them a majority of them time and then when they have to call the cops for help, they still get crapped on by that person.

I would love to see the people here do what they do. They leave their friends and family everyday and there's got to be a little part of them that knows they might not come back. That would be an extremely difficult thing to do everyday.

You talk about setting an example. What about the example they set by helping all people? Whether they like them or not, no matter who they are? The one they set by risking their lives for thousands of complete strangers?

tigersvain
05-11-2007, 09:15 PM
How in the world do these guys work hard? What ever happens in this town? LOL my gf's car got vandelized so we called the cops and one showed up at our place an hour later, he didnt even bother to get out of his car, just called to dispatch to call us to tell us he was sitting out front..... how lazy is that, anyways he never left his car, didnt even look at the damage. Police report was filed and he drove away...go figure. Another time i was followin a cop car down rothsey ave and just out of the blue he halts on his brakes and makes a wild right turn into ShurFits parking lot, i looked at him and he was on his cellphone, no blinker was used either. Alot of the cops must think they own the roads in this city but if they dont follow the same rules as us then why should we follow them? only makes sense....(this is to an extent, obviously if i see a cop with his sirens on going mach 1 passing cars i'm not gonna do the same lol)

jimbo973
05-26-2007, 07:05 PM
these guy's do not work hard, they berely do enything, i have experienced some ppl that drive a hell of alot faster then the speed limit and i know that they see them, but they dont do enything, as for not having a seat belt on, smoking in theyre car's or even on the cell phone tape it and send it to the main office and see what happen's and u will see a big diffrence

The_Dave
05-29-2007, 08:48 AM
Just TRY walking in their shoes, you complainers and haters of the SJPD probably wouldn't last a day at their job.

masterflex1
05-29-2007, 12:44 PM
i was walking across the street on the sidewalk and a cop car nearly hits me i told a few people about this and they said mabey he got a call but he didnt get a call he was getting a coffee at the drive thru. isnt it illegal to not stop for pedestrians on a side walk? i can see if he got a call and had to go through but he was at timmys!

stripekv
05-29-2007, 01:11 PM
isnt it illegal to not stop for pedestrians on a side walk?!

Depends ... if you were in the crosswalk yes, but if you were just crossing a street with no crosswalk, no.

countesscurling
05-30-2007, 09:02 AM
I can't believe that some people actually believe that the police and fire departments don't do anything. Just because they didn't personally cater to your needs doesn't mean they're not doing anything. Get over it!

I personally know quite a few city and Rothesay police officers and what they provide our communites is invaluable.
I've also personally dealt with the fire department when a family member's home and her life were destroyed by fire and they were nothing but respectful and professional.

If I'm in the drive thru line and see a police car, I treat them their coffee. It's the least I can do.

zeppelin
05-30-2007, 01:23 PM
Unfortunately for these men and women, who put their lives on the line almost everyday, they all know that some people hate them or complain about them no matter what. It goes with the job. I grew up with a police officer in the family and he is no different than the rest of us. They make mistakes, like us, but of course because of their jobs everyone has an opinion about it.

Either way, I don't think they really care what anyone has to say about how they do their jobs. I've seen at least one nearly destroy their lives/marriages for their jobs because there is so much that they see and have to deal with daily that sometimes the stress is too much

I would have to say that I have more of a problem with the law breakers, drug dealers, etc. that the police department tries to keep the majority of us safe from. Why not use your energies complaining about the ones who provide our children with drugs and make our streets unsafe.

As for the firefighters sleeping while at work...I know someone who works as a laborer and he gets paid pretty darn good money, what does he do on half of his 12 hour shift? He sleeps. But nobody is going to complain and ***** about that. Why? because his job isn't under scrutiny 100% of the time. Just because a firefighter sleeps doesn't make it a bad thing. They work sometimes 24 hours shifts and I would prefer someone who is well rested to put out my house if it's on fire. Wouldn't you?

That being said, I do agree that some cops think they are above the law, no doubt. But so do the drug dealers, and law breakers, otherwise they wouldn't be doing what they do.

Mandi
05-30-2007, 05:13 PM
Unfortunately for these men and women, who put their lives on the line almost everyday, they all know that some people hate them or complain about them no matter what. It goes with the job. I grew up with a police officer in the family and he is no different than the rest of us. They make mistakes, like us, but of course because of their jobs everyone has an opinion about it.

Either way, I don't think they really care what anyone has to say about how they do their jobs. I've seen at least one nearly destroy their lives/marriages for their jobs because there is so much that they see and have to deal with daily that sometimes the stress is too much

I would have to say that I have more of a problem with the law breakers, drug dealers, etc. that the police department tries to keep the majority of us safe from. Why not use your energies complaining about the ones who provide our children with drugs and make our streets unsafe.

As for the firefighters sleeping while at work...I know someone who works as a laborer and he gets paid pretty darn good money, what does he do on half of his 12 hour shift? He sleeps. But nobody is going to complain and ***** about that. Why? because his job isn't under scrutiny 100% of the time. Just because a firefighter sleeps doesn't make it a bad thing. They work sometimes 24 hours shifts and I would prefer someone who is well rested to put out my house if it's on fire. Wouldn't you?

That being said, I do agree that some cops think they are above the law, no doubt. But so do the drug dealers, and law breakers, otherwise they wouldn't be doing what they do.

AMEN!!!:biggrin:

devils_angel
10-15-2007, 05:18 PM
I dont feel that a police officer should feel that he is better than anyone else in this city.. but as for being allowed to break laws no I think they should follow them their selves... as for many of you who have agreed thatthe smoking thing isnt really thatbad I agree I have a friend that just graduated from the academy and if smoking is all these men and women have to do in the run of a shift then so be it .... the statistics are crazy for what these men and women go through in the run of a year.... they see some of the worst possible situations that a human could possibly face.. they are not only looking at things from our angle but from the inside too... we only hear of all the murders and stuff that go on in this city they actually deal with it. and risk their lives to ensure ours are safe and here some people complain that they dont wear their belts or that they smoke ... that in my eyes ... is a little harsh.. not to upset anyone but this is my 2 cents worth

jdcb
10-15-2007, 05:20 PM
wow, back from the grave...

The_Dave
10-15-2007, 05:31 PM
wow, back from the grave...

Yep, things are slow on issues I guess.

trev2261
10-15-2007, 05:35 PM
do you know what i really hate when cops are giving out tickets for stupid stuff like vehicle licensing seatbelts and stuff like that when they could be out doing catching a killer catching drunk drivers or catching drug dealers but instead they are giving the hastle to the people that forgot to buckle their seatbelt or have been so busy that they had no time to go license their vehicle. It just pisses me off especially being a teenager making mimimum wage and not being able to get your vehicle inspected or lisensed this week and get caught and get a crazy 168 dollar fine it really pisses me off.

The_Dave
10-15-2007, 05:51 PM
do you know what i really hate when cops are giving out tickets for stupid stuff like vehicle licensing seatbelts and stuff like that when they could be out doing catching a killer catching drunk drivers or catching drug dealers but instead they are giving the hastle to the people that forgot to buckle their seatbelt or have been so busy that they had no time to go license their vehicle. It just pisses me off especially being a teenager making mimimum wage and not being able to get your vehicle inspected or lisensed this week and get caught and get a crazy 168 dollar fine it really pisses me off.

Are you serious?? It is first of all the law to do the things you mentioned and second of all it is called responsibility. It sounds to me that you have neither respect for the law or any responsibility.

jdcb
10-15-2007, 06:15 PM
not to mention seatbelts are just a good personal habit to form, and they do send you a reminding about your registrations weeks in advance...

The_Dave
10-15-2007, 06:17 PM
not to mention seatbelts are just a good personal habit to form, and they do send you a reminding about your registrations weeks in advance...

Good points.

MichelleM
10-15-2007, 06:31 PM
Could we not argue that a bus driver sits in a bus all day???does that mean that he can smoke on the bus?When I go to work you cannot smoke in the building because you are working. I am sure that teh do get lunch and breaks like everyone else.
As for wearing a seat belt. They should more so wear one because they have to drive fast and end up in crazy situations not have this as a reason not to.

stripekv
10-15-2007, 07:08 PM

If you're not responsible to go renew your registration, than you shouldn't be driving your car.

You knew registration was due, don't drive until it was renewd. Simple as that.

lizard_lover
10-15-2007, 08:47 PM
I agree. Trev2261 wearing your seatbelt is the law. registering you vehicle and getting it inspected is the law.

Second, yeah, some police officers may not follow all the rules, and they may have their bad days, but don't we all? I know I do not always follow the law to the dot, and do have bad days, and sometimes, unfortunately, that follows me to work every now and again. It cannot be helped sometimes. And yeah, again some are rude and ignorant, but please do not let that foul your view of them. They do witness some freaky crap, and I know I would need councelling.

MichelleM
10-15-2007, 09:11 PM
you do not get paid to enforce the law, they do. If you are there to enforce it while on duty the least you could do is follow it....on there own time the are the same as everybody else and can choose to do as they please.
smoking in there car would be the same as me smoking at my desk and not wearing a seatbelt would be like me leaving my laptop logged in sitting in the park. Its the rules... while working you should follow them.

angelaa
10-15-2007, 09:33 PM
I have worked in the police station. If anyone else had to put up with some of the nutbars running around this town, you would have a cigarette any chance you could, just to calm your nerves. And as far as smoking in their company vehicles, its not as if its going to reak up their vehicles, theres not that much upholstry for the smell to seep into, where as with a cab you are paying for the service, criminals get a free ride.

MichelleM
10-15-2007, 09:37 PM
I just see it as there job, they do get paid to do it, I assume they get breaks. I do not know of any other job that you can go and sit there and light up when you feel like it, that is what breaks are for.

angelaa
10-15-2007, 09:42 PM
If anyone here has ever listened to a police scanner, you would realize that they don't get alot of free time to take a break.

lizard_lover
10-15-2007, 09:55 PM
I agree...I doubt they really get a whole lot breaks, and with the crap they see I would be smoking too...give them a break, they fight with bad people and risk their lives daily so we do not have to. Yes it is their job and "technically", if we are getting into that, they probably should not smoke in their cars, but I bet more of you would whine and complain if you saw a cop pulled over to the side of the road to smoke a ciggy...I wonder what would come out of that?!?! I can think of a couple of people who would just soak up that opportunity. So why not give them a break, and if it really offends you, then get proof and take it to the office.

lizard_lover
10-15-2007, 09:56 PM
p.s.- I think if something was going to happen they would be faster to react already in the car, while it is on, then if it is off, and they are outside smoking...just a thought...

Lady_Athena
10-15-2007, 11:09 PM
I agree with seatbelt laws and one of the main reasons you should too is that we have free health care. The more people who are injured in accidents because they are not wearing seat belts the more money it will cost the health care system. Money talks so a fine is a good way to make sure people buckle up. Not to mention it could save your life:rolleyes:

wookiee
10-16-2007, 12:30 PM
It blows me a way that some of you are on here defending what the cops did or do wrong. Shame on you. The law is the law.
when cops do something wrong they get charged too. Regardless of how little the crime is. In the end they are not doing there job right if they are not setting good examples for society, that goes for no seatbelts, smoking in the car, running the light with there lights on and then slow right down and turn off there lights...just to get through for no reason., etc.
To the people that defend them, remember these are things that they would ticket you or charge you with if yuo broke those laws/rules.

Imagine your kid see the cop’s break the rules, then they go do the same thing. Then your kid will use the excuse “well I saw the cop do it". You would be upset at your child for that excuse, like most parents would be. But you know, the kid would be right and you should be upset with the law enforcement.

Rules are rules. Law is law. It’s not put in place for some and not for others.

The_Dave
10-16-2007, 03:45 PM
you do not get paid to enforce the law, they do. If you are there to enforce it while on duty the least you could do is follow it....on there own time the are the same as everybody else and can choose to do as they please.
smoking in there car would be the same as me smoking at my desk and not wearing a seatbelt would be like me leaving my laptop logged in sitting in the park. Its the rules... while working you should follow them.

Do you follow all of your companies rules everyday?? I doubt it very much.

As for the seatbelt thing, they are exempt because they are emergency personnel. They are in and out of their vehicles quite frequently. As for the smoking in the car, I personnaly do not care, I agree that it is not a great example for kids, but I would rather they do it in their cars than in the open where kids can see them in plain view.

Now get back to work MichelleM and stop using your companies PC to post on isaintjohn. hahaha

The_Dave
10-16-2007, 03:47 PM
I just see it as there job, they do get paid to do it, I assume they get breaks. I do not know of any other job that you can go and sit there and light up when you feel like it, that is what breaks are for.

Anyone who works outside or drives for a living can smoke just about anytime they want, if they choose to.

The_Dave
10-16-2007, 03:52 PM
It blows me a way that some of you are on here defending what the cops did or do wrong. Shame on you. The law is the law.
when cops do something wrong they get charged too. Regardless of how little the crime is. In the end they are not doing there job right if they are not setting good examples for society, that goes for no seatbelts, smoking in the car, running the light with there lights on and then slow right down and turn off there lights...just to get through for no reason., etc.
To the people that defend them, remember these are things that they would ticket you or charge you with if yuo broke those laws/rules.

Imagine your kid see the cop’s break the rules, then they go do the same thing. Then your kid will use the excuse “well I saw the cop do it". You would be upset at your child for that excuse, like most parents would be. But you know, the kid would be right and you should be upset with the law enforcement.

Rules are rules. Law is law. It’s not put in place for some and not for others.

And you also follow all your work rules everyday??? I think not wookie. You are on isaintjohn while working. For shame. Do you have your seat belt on??? How about that extra smoke break. Tsk Tsk.

MichelleM
10-16-2007, 04:11 PM
I just think that they should be held to a higher standard not a lower one. They are there to enforce laws so it seems a little contradictory if they break them themsleves. Not to mention it is our tax $ that is paying them .

MichelleM
10-16-2007, 04:13 PM
Do you follow all of your companies rules everyday?? I doubt it very much.

As for the seatbelt thing, they are exempt because they are emergency personnel. They are in and out of their vehicles quite frequently. As for the smoking in the car, I personnaly do not care, I agree that it is not a great example for kids, but I would rather they do it in their cars than in the open where kids can see them in plain view.

Now get back to work MichelleM and stop using your companies PC to post on isaintjohn. hahaha

And the last part of your comment really made me laugh. :rofl:

The_Dave
10-16-2007, 04:40 PM
And the part of your comment really made me laugh. :rofl:

Laughter is the best medicine.

The_Dave
10-16-2007, 04:41 PM
I just think that they should be held to a higher standard not a lower one. They are there to enforce laws so it seems a little contradictory if they break them themsleves. Not to mention it is our tax $ that is paying them .

Oh I think we all agree on that, but lets put ourselves in their shoes. Very few of us, if any would be able to perform their jobs.

Remember they are human.

melissaanne
10-16-2007, 06:33 PM
smoking in their car is so meh! to me. I could care less if they smoked in their car or not. Like someone said I would rather see that than them pulled over to do it.

Sure they should obey the law and follow the rules, but let's face it. There are not too many ppl who follow every law and rule. And let's face it, they are the cops...honestly what can be done about it. So what they smoke and don't wear their seatbelts, I'm sure that has absolutly no bearing on how they were to perform their jobs when needed.

I think smoking in public vehicles should be the last of everyone's worries, how bout the murder rates, break and enters, drinking and driving, child abuse etc etc etc!