PDA

View Full Version : Rockwood Park Discovery

Pumpkin
04-30-2007, 08:06 AM
I am not posting this for anyone to say I heard this and I heard that so please don't!!

I am just writing to say they seem to be being very closed lipped about this. The news VERY BRIEFLY touched it.

My concern is, umm hello, I take my child to the park to bike ride and do the trails, play park, ect.. as do many others!!

Are we safe to go there? Was this unfortunate person zoned out, or was this an "Im gonna do it to the first person I come across crime?" I am really curious to know this. I am not a person who lets their 7 year old child go around the block alone, so I definately do not want to be wandering around in the outdoors with my child if this looney tune is out there preying on just any one!!

Not knowing is very scary!!

Cherry Pop
04-30-2007, 08:24 AM
I also am a little worried about going to Rockwood Park as I go there almost everyday for exercise. If you check the online CHSJ news, the police released the name and age of the victim. They also said it was a murder but are not releasing any other info. probably so they can investigate properly. I'm not going to say the name of the victim but I would like to say that his family and friends will be in my prayers!

sjchickie
04-30-2007, 09:11 AM
We can't live in fear of taking our children to the park. Unfortunately crimes like these are a part of life. Be thankful you dont live in the USA where it happens more often than not.

I truly believe its an isolated incident! I do not think it has anything to do with rockwood park. There is a park in vancouver called stanley park and there has been numerous bodies found in that park over the years and it still remains one of the biggest tourist attractions for visitors. I loved it when i lived out there and was not willing to let a few bad things steer my away from the park's beauty. Take your kids to the park!!!!! The more people start to come to this city and the more the population grows the more crime we are gonna have. Toronto has the lowest crime rates of all big cities in canada and yet people still claim its unsafe.

I love rockwood park i enjoy taking my daughter there!!! It is a great place to take your children and 1 incident should not deter us!

serialspell
04-30-2007, 09:18 AM
i also loved stanley park, very beautiful, things happen everywhere it should not instill fear into you

krista25
04-30-2007, 10:18 AM
Here is the info I read...

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2007/04/30/nb-rockwooddeath.html

aimee1lynn
04-30-2007, 11:23 AM
I knew him and went school with him . He is my step-fathers nephew and I do belive it was an isolated incident .

Martin
04-30-2007, 12:23 PM
message deleted

Please stop assuming things. I thought that the previous thread on this issue was closed because of people talking about this issue?? The police haven't officially said how he died. If he is such a close family member to you or whatever, please have the decency to stop telling the world what you think happened to him!! Wait for the police to officially come out and tell people.

Admin, please lock this post!!

admin
04-30-2007, 01:50 PM
Some speculative content in this thread has been removed (along with replies to it), and the thread will have to be locked if more speculation is posted.

Please only discuss what's in the published news, or general public safety.

Thanks

stripekv
04-30-2007, 02:02 PM
I believe that this was an isolated incident. It did occur between 4am and 7am, so I do not think there would be reason for parents to be scared if they wished to bring their family there for a few hours for a walk or drive during the day.

There will be more information on CTV/Global/CBC news tonight.

KAT
04-30-2007, 02:55 PM
http://www.brenansfh.com/Obituaries/27772/

This is the link for the gentleman who passed away.

tred816
04-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Think about it this way:

The more people continue to go there, the safer you are. There's safety in numbers.

If it was dangerous to go there, the police would have the entire place cordonned off. As long as it's open, I wouldn't worry. If you are worried, go with friends or family.

Besides, if it isn't an isolated incident, it happened between 4am and 7am. If you are there at noon, you will likely be fine.

vanessalynn5484
04-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Think about it this way:

The more people continue to go there, the safer you are. There's safety in numbers.

If it was dangerous to go there, the police would have the entire place cordonned off. As long as it's open, I wouldn't worry. If you are worried, go with friends or family.

Besides, if it isn't an isolated incident, it happened between 4am and 7am. If you are there at noon, you will likely be fine.Well said!

space
04-30-2007, 03:33 PM
[speculation deleted]

stripekv
04-30-2007, 03:44 PM
News 88.9 reporting that they are searcing for the victim's car. It is a black cavalier with a dent in the front.

This in the newspaper caught my attention...

City firefighters arrived at McLeod Road Saturday evening to find a car engulfed in flames but no driver in sight.

District Chief Eric Garland said the driver had left the scene when crews arrived at about 8 p.m. Saturday.

Firefighters were unsure of how the Chevy Cavalier caught on fire, but Garland said it might have been the result of an accident.

Martin
04-30-2007, 04:00 PM
STOP SPECULATING!!!!!!!

I am asking the admin to please lock or remove this thread. There is no need of this kind of behavior from people. If you had family member who was killed...would you appreciate the rumours and speculation???

Please lock or remove this thread!

Thank you!

trinity
04-30-2007, 04:15 PM
You know what? Why should this thread be locked? It's just news. The man had a Chevy Cavalier that is missing. That's in the news, a matter of public record. Another news story has a Cavalier found on fire after an accident. Those are facts.
When my brother was missing, the newspaper did not shy away from a description of his body when they pulled it from the harbour. It was just the facts. We didn't hold it against them, it wasn't personal. Upsetting? You bet. Personal? No way.
This person is apparently a well-liked local man. He works at a call center like so many others in this city. He could be any one of us or our brother or son or nephew. How many of us have friends who work at CL? I can name 6 people without much thought, more if I think about it. Of course people want to talk about it, they need to feel safe and to get as much information as they can in order to do so. I myself met Mr. Palmer on at least one occasion, although I didn't really remember him until a friend reminded me. He is in all of our lives in some way or another, all of our thoughts, and apparently has posted on here, so even more so a member of our community within a community.

vanessalynn5484
04-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Goodness me, most of the discussion hasn't been out of line at all.

Martin
04-30-2007, 04:28 PM
Didn't you read where the admin himself said stop speculating? That's what I'm objecting to...the speculation. That's all I'm saying!

ChelorSean
04-30-2007, 04:29 PM
i have been sitting here a trying to figure out this person seems upset most people are just really worried and like someone else said it's there own way to feel safe...

vanessalynn5484
04-30-2007, 04:32 PM
Well there you go it's speculation. I would hope that anyone reading anything on a forum wouldn't take it all as fact. Always question your sources.

admin
04-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Another speculative post has been deleted. If more are posted, then we will have to lock it, for the reasons Martin mentions.

Some people want it locked, and some people don't (trinity makes a good point), so it's a tough call, but we're going to allow the thread for now.

Our condolences to his family and friends.

Pumpkin
04-30-2007, 05:00 PM
Woa, I didn't mean for this to get out of whack. I did not mean any harm in posting this. And Trinity, well said. Though no one should speculate out loud on here.

From what I've gathered I have my own thoughts which I will keep to myself in respect. I only posted this in concern for the safety of those who visit the park and the residents/vistors of Saint John in general. Though it may not bother some, especially people from big cities where this is not a rare occurance to them, it bothers me and I'm sure many others. I do not want to be strolling around town, in the park, in the mall, etc, if someone was on the loose and going off! I would want to take precautions. And, THAT was my concern.

And if it makes you feel better, delete the Thread. I just wondered if anyone shared my concern is all.

Again no harm meant! And, my prayers are with the family.!!

ChelorSean
04-30-2007, 08:00 PM
i think we should all take the time and say that our prayers are with this young man and his family and friends.
RIP

MrsBeasley
04-30-2007, 08:12 PM
I actually had the opportunity to meet Kevin only a few weeks ago when he looked at our apartment.

If in fact it is proven to be murder, I hope they find the perpetrator(s), soon so the family will have some closure and everyone will feel safe again. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

harbourchick07
04-30-2007, 08:18 PM
umm i think i kinda agree with Martin, it is a little jumbled, and it almost seems like it is upsetting some people. Rockwood park has big numbers. Think about it if your walking your dog do you think someone is going to attack you.?

sjchickie
04-30-2007, 08:36 PM
For those of you who wanna stay away from the park than do so. I wont, and I don't think many others will either. Things like this happen and as scary as it is you have to move on. What is this happened in the lobby at the saint john regional hospital??? Would you never go back there concerned that some crazy person was gonna kill you. It's a beautiful park...its a shame this happened. Its god awful for this family and i feel awful for them.

But the park is great. Don't go at night and don't go alone if your that worried.

No one is speculating they are saying what they heard and you will all find out soon enough. But complete strangers grieve about random deaths if a piece of it touches them for whatever reason. It needs to be discussed and understood. Just my opinion some people are get a little antzy about talking about these things.

vanessalynn5484
04-30-2007, 09:43 PM
umm i think i kinda agree with Martin, it is a little jumbled, and it almost seems like it is upsetting some people. Rockwood park has big numbers. Think about it if your walking your dog do you think someone is going to attack you.?What exactly do you mean?

harbourchick07
04-30-2007, 09:56 PM
i just mean that it seems that a few people are getting upset with this forum, i personally think it really isn't a big deal its a way to get stuff of your chest like i said it is a jumble, some people want to vent on, some want it stopped, others are just curious. What ever your opinion on this forum just lets not get anyone really upset. i know if i were this persons family i would kinda like the fact that people are worried and praying. But as some people have said it is a beautiful park, there are people who live right on the property. and in the day light no one is going to attack you . You either have a dog, a friend, a bike, are jogging walking or trail riding with a group.

babydollbrat
05-01-2007, 07:53 AM
"'Person of interest' held in slaying

By JEFF DUCHARME
Telegraph-Journal
Published Tuesday May 1st, 2007
Appeared on page C1

Police in Oromocto were holding a "person of interest" in a Saint John homicide investigation Monday night.

Some time after 4 a.m. Saturday, Kevin James Palmer, 29, of Saint John was killed near the entrance of Rockwood Park.

Saint John police report that someone Palmer knew left him for dead at the side of the road, but investigators were tight-lipped on most details surrounding the city's first homicide of the year.

District 2 RCMP officers pulled over a car matching a vehicle description sent out by the Saint John Police Force in connection with the Palmer case, said RCMP Sgt. Derek Strong.

The car was pulled over in the Oromocto area Monday evening, he said.

"So we're hanging onto the driver because he might be a part of the puzzle," Strong said.

The driver is not a suspect in the investigation at this point, Strong said.

"No, not at all," he said, describing the driver as "a person of interest."

He said investigators from Saint John's major crimes unit were headed to the RCMP offices in Oromocto Monday night to interview the detainee.

Palmer's car, which he is believed to have driven to the park the night he was killed, had gone missing.

"We don't know what the relationship between the victim and suspect is at this point in time," said Insp. Darrell Scribner of the Saint John Police Force, the man at the head of the investigation.

"How did they come together? That's what we're sorting out right now."

Scribner confirmed that Palmer and the suspect he was with that night weren't strangers to each other.

But if police believe the victim knew his killer, they're refusing to confirm or deny if they're aware of the killer's identity.

"I'd rather not comment on that," said Scribner.

The one thing police will confirm is the slaying was not random and that it happened sometime between 4 a.m. and 7 a.m.

"I think we're dealing with an isolated incident where at least two individuals went there, and unfortunately there was some kind of an altercation," Scribner said.

The investigation remains in its embryonic stage and everything remains on the table, Scribner said.

Whether Palmer and his killer went to the park together or met there, he said, hasn't been confirmed yet.

Police are searching for Palmer's 2002 black four-door Chevrolet Cavalier.

"The car is key to the investigation," Scribner said.

It is not known if the car the RCMP pulled over is Palmer's.

Scribner wouldn't elaborate further or say if the car they are seeking is currently in the hands of Palmer's killer.

The licence number of the car is GEH 120. The car has a dent on the front passenger fender and there are a number of bumper stickers on the rear of the vehicle.

"We've received information, and now we're trying to locate this vehicle and we're asking the public's assistance in that," Scribner said.

The inspector said police have spoken to a number of witnesses but whether they witnessed the killing or saw the pair together, he declined to say.

The cause of death, he said, or the type of weapon used is not something the police plan to release anytime soon.

"It appears that he was killed at the scene," Scribner said.

The park is a popular place, but the inspector said police have no plans to put on any extra patrols in wake of the killing.

"There's people there all hours of the day and night ... no doubt it's cause for some concern by the community in general," Scribner said.

"At this point in time we don't feel that this is a situation where there is anyone lurking in that area; we don't feel that's what happened in (this) particular case."

With files from The Daily Gleaner"

stripekv
05-01-2007, 03:09 PM
News 88.9 reporting that the Saint John Police Force have charged 20 year-old, Saint John resident, Kevin Ronald Brooks in the death of 29 year-old Kevin James Palmer.

Brooks was picked up in the Minto area last night by the RCMP, and as a result of questioning, confessed to the the murder.

Palmer died from a single gun shot wound, and is believed to have died on the scene.

Brooks was arraigned in Saint John court this afternoon on second degree murder charges, and will appear in court on May 22.

sjchickie
05-01-2007, 03:13 PM
This makes me sick to my stomache. I'm off to the parlour to support my friend here soon and really this is all awful.

icedragon
05-01-2007, 03:25 PM
News 88.9 reporting that the Saint John Police Force have charged 20 year-old, Saint John resident, Kevin Ronald Brooks in the shooting of 29 year-old Kevin James Palmer.

Brooks was picked up in the Minto area last night, and confessed to the shooting.

He was arraigned in Saint John court this afternoon on second degree murder charges.

I just heard that too

vanessalynn5484
05-01-2007, 03:27 PM
And I am really sorry for your loss sjchickie. Please extend all of our sympathies in your prayers to the family. I do not understand hate and I never will.

Why can't we all love each other? :(

jiggypat23
05-01-2007, 04:08 PM
So what does the car on McLeod have to do with anything, cause I heard some interesting information on the car blowing up.

vanessalynn5484
05-02-2007, 09:22 AM
This man was a poster here at isaintjohn. I think that it is all about respect at this point.

While unintentional such speculations are most likely hurtful to friends and family of the deceased.

DJ105
05-03-2007, 05:47 AM
First I want to give my condolences to the family of the deceased. I am also glad they have charged a suspect.
That being said, I wanted to say that while I realize this is a privately run forum, in MY OPINION, the restrictions on what can be said ie: the "censorship" is a little tight. Every forum will have someone like Martin who wants to make themselves unofficial moderator and complain about every post they read, but that's no reason to bend to their will. Sharing info you may have heard, or sharing opinions on a subject doesn't seem disrespectful to me. It's actually what makes a thread interesting. If I want the actual news, I will go to a news website. If I want to discuss possibilities and opinions, I will go to a forum. Actually, posts from people who have inside info on cases, who then posted that info on message boards, have in some cases lead to new leads and arrests by police.
I don’t mean any disrespect to the forum or it’s moderators, and I hope you can accept some constructive criticism and not delete this post.

admin
05-03-2007, 06:02 AM
Thanks for the feedback

But the only things that we moderated-out were speculation.

For example, someone had said that he had been hanged. However, we now know (from the news) that he died from a gunshot wound.

Having the site be used to spread rumours that someone has been hanged (when there is no legitimate source for the info) is not something we want to happen, because it would be hurtful to a person's family and friends.

Rumours (and/or "initial stories") also have am unfortunate way of persisting, even when they are later found to be false. Richard Jewell was initially charged with the Olympic bombing in Atlanta in 1996. Because of that "initial story", many people still think of him as the bomber, although he was later proven innocent.

But you do make a good point in general, that sharing information is not disrespectful (as long as it is based on valid information, and not speculative rumours).

First I want to give my condolences to the family of the deceased. I am also glad they have charged a suspect.
That being said, I wanted to say that while I realize this is a privately run forum, in MY OPINION, the restrictions on what can be said ie: the "censorship" is a little tight. Every forum will have someone like Martin who wants to make themselves unofficial moderator and complain about every post they read, but that's no reason to bend to their will. Sharing info you may have heard, or sharing opinions on a subject doesn't seem disrespectful to me. It's actually what makes a thread interesting. If I want the actual news, I will go to a news website. If I want to discuss possibilities and opinions, I will go to a forum. Actually, posts from people who have inside info on cases, who then posted that info on message boards, have in some cases lead to new leads and arrests by police.
I don’t mean any disrespect to the forum or it’s moderators, and I hope you can accept some constructive criticism and not delete this post.

Rickster
05-03-2007, 10:36 AM
You people 'REALLY' have too much time on your hands and it's quite obvious on this topic especially !! And by some comments made...well...you know who the "story tellers" are by the way they so quickly spew out fictional rumors(you know who you are) without any facts to support them !! - Rick.

Woofer
05-03-2007, 10:49 AM
i agree with rick, this place is a gossip colony * no insult meant by it*

ourkidsrcute
05-03-2007, 11:24 AM
i agree as well

DJ105
05-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Hey... even gossip needs a place to happen. Not all gossip is bad. Like I said before, if I want news, I'll go to a news website..... although half of what you hear in the news, in the end turns out to be not much more than gossip.

boo35
05-04-2007, 06:15 AM
First of all he wasn't attacked by a stranger it was someone he knew so why would u be afraid to walk in the park? R.I.P KEVIN!I feel bad that the family has to go through this..very sorry.