PDA

View Full Version : Sore Throat

tred816
04-27-2007, 05:45 AM
Does anyone else have a sore throat???

I had it a few weeks ago and after a couple of days it went away. This time I've had it for over a week and I can't shake it.

I'm not sick in any other way so I imagine it's viral, but my wedding is in a week and my fiance keeps pushing me to go get it checked. I don't have time to go to the doctor only to be told that they can't do anything about it.

I wake up in the night with razor blades scratching my throat and it makes me cough...he tells me to take cough medicine HA! no chance of that, it would burn like crazy and I don't have any congestion so I see no reason to torture myself.. lol I also expect if it was an infection, I'd have a fever or achy muscles and I have neither.

Anyway, I've been gargling warm salt water, taking advil when it gets intolerable and I also have a throat rinse I got last year from the doc when I had a viral infection which does nothing other than numb it for five or ten minutes, but it helps when it gets horrible.

Is there anything going around that I don't know about?
What do you do for your sore throat?

Thanks

peewee
04-27-2007, 07:13 AM
sounds like strep throat go to the doctor....

trinity
04-27-2007, 07:33 AM
It sounds like it... I had that once, it hurt so much my throat felt like it was bleeding every time I took a breath. It wasn't strep, but it was a throat infection of some sort, I just had to get a cheap scrip for penicillin and take it for a week or so, it started clearing up right away. I remember that all they did at the hospital was give me tylenol, suggest salt water and cepacol.

cjohnson
04-27-2007, 07:37 AM
Go to the doctor...I've been sick with a nasty cold for about 3 weeks now and that is exactly the way it started. Yeah, I know...take my own advise and go to the doctor myself. If it is what I have....it just gets worse....3 weeks later and a box of klenex a day...the sore throat is gone, but the stuffy head, cough is still around!

kimbey76
04-27-2007, 09:59 AM
scarlet fever and strep throat are going around, my son just got over scartlet fever, the only difference is you get a rash with it as well, both need antibiotics, if that is what you have better to get the meds now and avoid possible complications, you should feel better in 2-3 days if that is what it ends up being

ceg
04-27-2007, 10:01 AM
If you can look in a mirror and see the back of your mouth, look for small grey or white puss balls. If you see those, then it's probably strep throat. I've had it three times.

tred816
04-27-2007, 10:33 AM
I've been looking the past couple of days and there are just a few at the very back. Mostly it's visibly raw and red.

I can't go to the doctor today which means I'll have to make a trip to the hospital over the weekend :( .

I despise going to the doctor or hospital. I always leave feeling like I wasted their time or something... It just sucks. I know I know...but I do. I just hate it. Especially if it turns out to be a minor virus and it's just a matter of symptom treatment.

Clancy
04-27-2007, 10:42 AM
The hospital may not see you. There was a big write up in the paper weeks ago telling people they could be refused treatment for coming in with minor symptoms, even sprained ankles..etc It is a waste of their time to see you at the regional, with the doctor shortage in the ER, their time is much better spent on patients with emergency issues. Try the afterhours clinic. Start calling 10 minutes before the line opens.

I've been looking the past couple of days and there are just a few at the very back. Mostly it's visibly raw and red.

I can't go to the doctor today which means I'll have to make a trip to the hospital over the weekend :( .

I despise going to the doctor or hospital. I always leave feeling like I wasted their time or something... It just sucks. I know I know...but I do. I just hate it. Especially if it turns out to be a minor virus and it's just a matter of symptom treatment.

tred816
04-27-2007, 12:23 PM
Good Advice. Thanks Clancy. I'd rather not go to the ER if they're gonna turn me away.

Question: Is the clinic open on the weekend?

sugadip
04-27-2007, 03:13 PM
The clinic is open on the weekend. 635-2273

peewee
04-27-2007, 03:34 PM
it is open tonight @5pm

kimbey76
04-28-2007, 12:38 PM
they will see you at st. josephs as well, at least i took my son there last weekend and they saw him, i think it is considered a clinic now too, correct me if im wrong