PDA

View Full Version : prob: ASUS P5NSLI Socket 775 Motherboard - Boot hangs

Freudian
04-26-2007, 09:03 AM
Hi everyone.

I have an ASUS P5NSLI Socket 775 motherboard. I got it in November 2006.

I've been having troubles (since I got the MB) booting. I'll reboot or have my computer off for a second or a few minutes and it will take 3-5 resets to get it to boot.

What happens:

1. It will light up the HDD LED solid and everything sounds like its powered up, but I don't get a display.
2. Same as #1 but the display is active, but nothing is on it
3. Same as #1 but Display activates and shows the first part of POST and then the rest of the screen stops loading
4. Same as #3, but hangs before trying to start Windows
5. Same as #3, but hangs when I hit DEL to get into BIOS
6. Same as #3, but hangs when I get into BIOS and start navigating in a few seconds.

I have all new hardware and I've even updated to the latest bios firmware.

Any ideas?

I'm going to send an inquiry into ASUS, but I have to do that at home, since I don'tk now the MB Serial #, bios revision, etc. off hand. I'm not that much of Geek, though I wish I was :)

One thing I'm going to try tonight is to take the RAM out and put it in a different DIMM socket.

-=coppertop=-
04-26-2007, 06:39 PM
what brand is your ram? mine only boots with NAme-Brand ram. OCZ, KINGston, etc. Apacer wont work, maybe 1 in 10 times

paak
04-26-2007, 06:53 PM
Try an updated BIOS and enter your RAM timings manually.

Freudian
04-26-2007, 09:57 PM
Copper,

I'm using Kingston 667MHz DDR2 RAM. 1 GB on one DIMM. Certainly hope it's good quality from a company like that :) I figured, go with the best trusted brands for best compatibility and performance.

Paak,

I will try the manual RAM timing. Where can I find that for mine? I have the original packing and the little paper that came with it. I suppose its in that.

Cheers.

Andrew

what brand is your ram? mine only boots with NAme-Brand ram. OCZ, KINGston, etc. Apacer wont work, maybe 1 in 10 times

paak
04-27-2007, 07:04 AM
I will try the manual RAM timing. Where can I find that for mine? I have the original packing and the little paper that came with it. I suppose its in that.

It should be written on the little paper that came with it. If not, you'll have to google it.