PDA

View Full Version : Gas prices are killing me

3 in a tree
04-26-2007, 06:43 AM
It makes me so mad the price of gas.........I dont think its fair that it keeps going up and up, but I have yet to see wages go up so quickly. It is understandable that some people would rather stay home to raise their own children and get monthly cheques than pay outrageous gas prices, not to mention childcare. In the last 14 years the gas prices have gone from 50-53 cents per litre, now to 1.08.more than doubled....can u imagine the prices this summer, we might as well park the car now.

I guess one good thing would be that I wont have to pay for my 5 year old son to get his licesne when he gets older because the price of gas will be too high that it wont be worth it

Just my rant for the day..........those where the days when 10 bucks gave you over a half a tank...........
maybe we should all park our cars and refuse to buy fuel for a few days......wonder if it would work?

notfarnow
04-26-2007, 08:54 AM
It makes me so mad the price of gas.........I dont think its fair that it keeps going up and up, but I have yet to see wages go up so quickly.

Why is it unfair? Gasoline is expensive to make, and harmful to the planet. Why do you think it should be cheaper?

People pay $1.25 for a 1 liter bottle of WATER but think they should have gasoline for $0.60.

TIPS:
-Drive less
-Drive a smaller car
-Use public transport

Cherry Pop
04-26-2007, 09:08 AM
Maybe I'm stupid but what I don't get is that Irving who makes gas is stationed here in our city yet we pay some of the highest prices. Why?

jg
04-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Well said Cherry Pop....plus he gets the tax breaks....
we just keep paying more taxes!

space
04-26-2007, 10:30 AM
good thing its not a $1.40 a litre yet like it was not that long ago.

3 in a tree
04-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Why is it unfair? Gasoline is expensive to make, and harmful to the planet. Why do you think it should be cheaper?

People pay $1.25 for a 1 liter bottle of WATER but think they should have gasoline for $0.60.

TIPS:
-Drive less
-Drive a smaller car
-Use public transport

I thought buying bottle water was a luxury? where as gas is needed to get to and from work, to appt. etc.....I have a small car, public transport isnt an optin where we live and I drive as little as I can, however when you take loved ones to appt in the city 3-4 days a week it does get costly......Why do I think it should be cheaper........because I work gd hard for my money and hate paying outrageous prices......To know that a month ago it was down in the 90's.. guess the price of production went up this month, but I sure hope it goes down soon.

dan j
04-26-2007, 12:55 PM
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a3/danj77/isj.jpg

6sixstring6
04-26-2007, 01:07 PM
Buying water a luxury?????????? Turn on any tap, we have tons of it and it is free. Buying water is not a luxury, it is foolish.

Tara
04-26-2007, 01:12 PM
Buying water isnt foolish. I buy 4L jugs for a dollar. Big deal. I bought my monthly buscard today for 60 bucks, that and the odd cab or two saves a lot of money in regards to the cost of upkeep for a car. That, and I just don`t have my lisence, LOL.

sjchickie
04-26-2007, 01:16 PM
I agree tara water is not stupid. I mean yes gas costs money...canadian springs visits my house twice a month for water. its MORE than worth the 20 bucks a month!!!! I drive a car..but i park it when i can. thats life!!! Im not crying about it...if you dont have the money for the extra .05 cents a litre then maybe you shouldnt have a car. I knew going into it that gas fluxuates. and its VERY bad for the planet

and 6strings...not all of us drink tap water. Its not very good for you at all and it tastes disgusting at that...your suppose to drink 8 glasses a day...why not have it taste good?

3 in a tree
04-26-2007, 01:24 PM
Your right....reading back I explained the water poorly.......sorry!!!!! This was just my rant of the day....unusual for me to come on here and b@*@* but was having a bad morning and was on my way to fill up at the pumps cause I needed gas...

notfarnow
04-26-2007, 02:15 PM
I thought buying bottle water was a luxury? where as gas is needed to get to and from work, to appt. etc.....I have a small car, public transport isnt an optin where we live and I drive as little as I can

Public transportation isn't an option where I live either. I made a decision to live there, knowing it would cost $$ for fuel to come & go. Did you think the price of fuel was never going to go up? If it's a major issue, maybe you need to sell your house and live in town.

Why do I think it should be cheaper........because I work gd hard for my money and hate paying outrageous prices......To know that a month ago it was down in the 90's.. guess the price of production went up this month, but I sure hope it goes down soon.

Fact of the matter is the price of fuel is artificially low. Oil exploration is heavily subsidized, and refineries get tax breaks & grants to set up. That is paid by taxpayers. If the oil industry was completely unsubsidized, you'd be looking at $2-$3 per liter, like they have in Europe.

My point: consider yourself lucky you're only paying $1.10 per liter. It SHOULD be a lot more.

3 in a tree
04-26-2007, 02:58 PM
[QUOTE=notfarnow;88083]Public transportation isn't an option where I live either. I made a decision to live there, knowing it would cost $$ for fuel to come & go. Did you think the price of fuel was never going to go up? If it's a major issue, maybe you need to sell your house and live in town.

As per my previous statement was just having one of those days where I felt like blowing off some steam, my bad!..........but its obvious your ok with the gas prices......maybe I could car pool with you????lol

notfarnow
04-26-2007, 03:11 PM
[As per my previous statement was just having one of those days where I felt like blowing off some steam, my bad!..........but its obvious your ok with the gas prices......maybe I could car pool with you????lol

http://www.scavengeinc.com/images/bioworld/HT5140.jpg

3 in a tree
04-26-2007, 03:15 PM
Cash, grass or a$$... no one rides for free!

I thought in the beginning that you were looking for an arguement......but in fact you made my day better.......I was anticipating your replies all day instead of worrying about other crap on my mind......so thanks!...I needed it

notfarnow
04-26-2007, 03:15 PM
LOL, my pleasure.

rhiley_08j
04-26-2007, 03:34 PM
Maybe I'm stupid but what I don't get is that Irving who makes gas is stationed here in our city yet we pay some of the highest prices. Why?

The reason it's not cheaper here is because in order for Irving to remain competitive in other markets, he makes us pay more so that it won't cost him as much to operate in other areas. Basically, we have no other choice, he runs the market east of Quebec, and the only option we have is buy his gas or don't drive.

kaj27
04-26-2007, 06:46 PM
Funny story actually.

I was driving on the highway and a lady flew by me going very fast in her SUV. Now that's nothing out of the normal. People drive really fast lately.

Well I saw the same lady at the gas station filling up at the same time I was just a few minutes after. She looks at me while pumping and says...."Owning a Car sure is expensive huh?"

I looked at my car and said "No, Why?"

Why indeed. Are people really this blind? No one knows that fuel efficiency drops when you go over 60 Mi/h. Drops a lot. Especially when driving a SUV.

Wanna save money on gas? SLOW THE HELL DOWN

Seriously.

dan j
04-26-2007, 09:31 PM
Funny story actually.

I was driving on the highway and a lady flew by me going very fast in her SUV. Now that's nothing out of the normal. People drive really fast lately.

Well I saw the same lady at the gas station filling up at the same time I was just a few minutes after. She looks at me while pumping and says...."Owning a Car sure is expensive huh?"

I looked at my car and said "No, Why?"

Why indeed. Are people really this blind? No one knows that fuel efficiency drops when you go over 60 Mi/h. Drops a lot. Especially when driving a SUV.

Wanna save money on gas? SLOW THE HELL DOWN

Seriously.

funny story and also one of the best posts in this thread.

notfarnow
04-27-2007, 09:08 AM
My speedometer is broken, so I can drive as fast as I want and it doesn't effect the fuel mileage.

I know to slow down when the lines on the road look like dots

Chinna Dah
04-28-2007, 12:57 PM
My speedometer is broken, so I can drive as fast as I want and it doesn't effect the fuel mileage.

Please tell me you are joking..please......

lol it doesnt matter if your speedometer is broken, just because you dont know how fast you are really going, doesnt mean you are using less fuel LOL

notfarnow
04-28-2007, 02:18 PM
Please tell me you are joking..please......

lol it doesnt matter if your speedometer is broken, just because you dont know how fast you are really going, doesnt mean you are using less fuel LOL

Of course it does. My speedometer and odometer need to work in order to calculate mileage. If they don't work, I show "0" miles on the trip odometer.

Before, with teh speedometer working I would get ~40 mpg. Now that the speedometer is broken, I get 0 mpg.

In fact, the speedometer only comes on at about 120-125 km/hr. So if I want to get the mileage to register, I HAVE to drive fast.

So at 125, I get ~30-35 mpg. If I drive 90-100 km/hr, I get 0 mpg. 30 mpg is WAY BETTER than 0 mpg, duh!

kaj27
04-29-2007, 09:20 PM
Great logic.

Back to the real point....

rhiley_08j
04-29-2007, 10:42 PM
Of course it does. My speedometer and odometer need to work in order to calculate mileage. If they don't work, I show "0" miles on the trip odometer.

Before, with teh speedometer working I would get ~40 mpg. Now that the speedometer is broken, I get 0 mpg.

In fact, the speedometer only comes on at about 120-125 km/hr. So if I want to get the mileage to register, I HAVE to drive fast.

So at 125, I get ~30-35 mpg. If I drive 90-100 km/hr, I get 0 mpg. 30 mpg is WAY BETTER than 0 mpg, duh!

That's hilarious, I love your logic. LMAO:rofl:

vanessalynn5484
04-29-2007, 10:59 PM
I like happy things.

Bawango
04-30-2007, 12:01 AM
Because he can and he will continue doing so. People gripe about the price of gas every time it goes up and now it's just funny.If you have a car your going to have to pay for gas. I just accepted that fact that big oil companies has me by the ba$$! The only way I'm gonna get out of their grip is either I start making my own fuel or I just stop driving.
You want something to gripe about? Insurance is a good one. Its a system we pay into in case stuff happens. But what do we get in return in case nothing happens?! My girlfriend have been driving for quite some time and only since recently had her insurance rate go down. A big whopping $7 less a month. WOW!! so much for having a clean driving record. But as soon as something happens may it be a speeding ticket or a fender bender premium goes up.Here's an industry that really has us by the ba$$$ :mad:

Shrimpfan
04-30-2007, 12:08 AM
Disagree.

Insurance is high because of everybody.
People only look at insurance from their perspective.
People forget that you, your girlfriend, me, everybody we belong to a group.
And what happens to one of the members of that group has an impact on the whole group.

Kinda like if you remove one stone off the bridge, it might collapse!
Look at all the claims that happen everyday due to accidents.
Look at all the fraud that goes on.

Are the rates high, for sure, but are the insurance companies the only ones to blame?? Not in my opinion.

vanessalynn5484
04-30-2007, 12:35 AM
How come it is okay to gripe about insurance, but not gas prices?

space
04-30-2007, 03:55 AM
Buying water a luxury?????????? Turn on any tap, we have tons of it and it is free. Buying water is not a luxury, it is foolish.

turn on any tap water ?? umm in your area???.. its not foolish for you to buy water because you don't live in the city of saint john!!

Cherry Pop
04-30-2007, 07:47 AM
Because he can and he will continue doing so. People gripe about the price of gas every time it goes up and now it's just funny.If you have a car your going to have to pay for gas. I just accepted that fact that big oil companies has me by the ba$$! The only way I'm gonna get out of their grip is either I start making my own fuel or I just stop driving.
You want something to gripe about? Insurance is a good one. Its a system we pay into in case stuff happens. But what do we get in return in case nothing happens?! My girlfriend have been driving for quite some time and only since recently had her insurance rate go down. A big whopping $7 less a month. WOW!! so much for having a clean driving record. But as soon as something happens may it be a speeding ticket or a fender bender premium goes up.Here's an industry that really has us by the ba$$$ :mad:

My mom has been driving for over 40 years and never had an accident - never - (knock on wood) but last year her insurance company decided to raise her rate quite a bit. Tell me that isn't crazy?!

notfarnow
04-30-2007, 10:44 AM
I just accepted that fact that big oil companies has me by the ba$$! The only way I'm gonna get out of their grip is either I start making my own fuel...

Not as difficult as you might think.