PDA

View Full Version : More handouts coming your way soon.

The_Dave
04-24-2007, 08:14 AM
Here we go again. More handouts to help those supposedly in need to heat their homes, apartments or places of dwelling. This money is straight from MY pocket and YOUR pocket to theirs. When will we middle class get a break???? This is getting ridiculous. My taxes just went up under the new regime in power for this province, now I have to contribute EVEN MORE to heat someone's home. LUDICROUS. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH ALREADY.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2007/04/23/nb-powerstrategy.html

karen
04-24-2007, 08:32 AM
OK, here's my favorite:
Emergency Fuel Supplement: This benefit was expanded to include 1,200 additional social assistance clients who heat with electricity and don't qualify for the previous three benefits. They may now be able to access this benefit once per calendar year to a maximum of $270.
My question is, are these people being energy efficient? Heck, if someone was going to give me a few extra dollars I would turn my heat up even more before throwing an extra blanket on the bed.
I can almost guarantee that their heating bills are nothing compared to home owners. And oh, I heard that SJ Energy is going to have another 9.6% increase. Where is my supplement?

magoosmomma
04-24-2007, 08:41 AM
I wish someone would give me money to heat my home.. God knows I pay enough

The_Dave
04-24-2007, 08:51 AM
This part really irks me "It applies to about 2,000 New Brunswick households with mortgage payments" If you are in such dire straights and need a handout to heat your home, you should seriously think about selling your home and rent. The profit that is made will go towards helping the home owner become self sufficient. Why should I help to pay a home owner's heating bill???

Also karen, you make an excellent point. If my bill was being supplemented, why would I care if I were energy efficient or not? Is someone making sure that people who receive our money are doing everything in their power to be energy efficient??

vanessalynn5484
04-24-2007, 08:51 AM
Wow you are all so lucky that you have never had to struggle to heat your home. But alas, this is a can of worms I am not kicking back and fourth.

I am really glad that they are doing something for low income families as the rates are supposed to increase. My tax dollars can't pay for everyone so I am glad that it is going to a single mother or a sick father who couldn't sleep at night because he was worried about his children being cold because he had to buy food instead of pay for heat. I am glad you have never had to wait in a line at the community food basket because you spent your money on your heating bill.

My family in total pays so much taxes they could keep me on EI for the rest of my life.

Funny how I have never heard them complain about their money being wasted on low income families.

They complain about much more grander things their tax dollars are being wasted on. Such as how high our property tax is and yet the richest family in the city gets a break. We pay out the nose for water too.

vanessalynn5484
04-24-2007, 08:55 AM
If my bill was being supplemented, why would I care if I were energy efficient or not? Is someone making sure that people who receive our money are doing everything in their power to be energy efficient??:mad:
Anyone who I know, who has struggled to pay their heating bill is pretty damn energy efficient. Such as only turning the heat on when they really HAVE too, even if they are cold. Covering doors and windows with blankets-actually just about ANYTHING they can so that they can budget food, medication, and heat.
:mad:

karen
04-24-2007, 09:02 AM
It actually takes more energy to heat your home if you turn your heat off and then on rather than keeping it at a steady temperature (eg. 15 degrees) and then turning it up when the colder weather is upon us.

The_Dave
04-24-2007, 09:09 AM
I can barely afford my bills, but rather than look for handouts and waste energy, I put a sweater and slippers on. I am sick and tired of supporting those who are ready and able to work but choose not to. I do not mind helping seniors on fixed incomes, but home owners and those not willing to work. Again, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

vanessalynn5484
04-24-2007, 09:11 AM
Not if it isn't turned on for days at a time.

I am thinking of one woman in particular and she is an angel on this Earth. This heating "hand out" (what an ignorant little name for it) is going to be a blessing for her. As it will be a blessing for everyone reading this who has struggled to heat their homes.

I know that there are many people browsing the site right now who have financial hardships, and please do not let these blanket statements that everyone who qualifies for this handout is simply wasteful or mismanaging money make you feel bad about yourself. I know that you want do the best for your family and this is a helping hand to get you back on your feet. It's a little late this year, but better than nothing.

I realize you guys have a point to make and so do I. I respect your need to voice your concerns about this.

Plus The Dave can't start a thread an me not disagree with him!!!! It's just the natural order of isaintjohn. We won't keep hard feelings, it's like a debate really.:biggrin:

The Dave you are all about bettering yourself. Go back to school and put yourself in that higher tax bracket where you won't feel like you are constantly getting reamed. Better yet, quit your job and take out EI, it'll be on me this time; since you paid for my maternity leave. ;)

vanessalynn5484
04-24-2007, 09:23 AM
I count my blessings because I do not have to struggle with heating my home. I live in a building owned by my family so I have fixed rent really. If not for example with a month, like this one, where it is the kids' birthdays, I have higher than normal bills, and the bank stole my money for another 7 business days:p-- I may be feeling quite stressed, but where my landlord is a relative I can pay what I can on the first and the rest a little late and I do not have to worry about being evicted.

So I guess I have yet to really feel the struggle like you may. I am still young and my family will be selling this building soon so I will eventually. But it's an amazing help when you have 2 babies and I feel very blessed.

I guess I just think about a lady, I love, who is widowed and disabled and how hard a time she had paying her heating bill most of the winter. :( I have actually given her money to help pay. She almost couldn't get her medication because of her other bills like heat. Man, it just tears at my heart. I can't help it, I'm a softie and I want to see the best in people.

The_Dave
04-24-2007, 09:55 AM
vanessalynn5484, so you want me to go back to school again to better myself, even though I did this years ago because I wanted something more in life than a low paying job. I wanted a career. Well I have that now, I worked hard to get it and with no handouts. If I go to a higher tax bracket than the one I am already in, I will pay even more taxes to supplement people than I already am now.

I would never quit my job without having another to go to, I am not stupid nor lazy. I refuse to feed off the system. I would work any minimum wage job before I would allow myself to stoop that low.

I am all for maternity leave also, as some day you will be back into the workforce, I am not for the ones who go on leave and use up all their EI and than go on welfare.

I also respect that you have your opinions and seem to be a caring person, so am I, but again, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. When it is coming straight out of my pocket and I have to cut back to supplement someone else and I work full time, that is just wrong.

SaskSask
04-24-2007, 10:33 AM
I think there are some people that could really use this little extra help.
The problem is...the rest (people)will spend it on:
1.) Cigarettes
2.) Gambling Machines
3.) Alcohol

I have to also wonder how many of these people have cable or sat (for tv, watch free tv over the air), a cell phone, internet. Depending on what packages....cutting these out would save them $1000-1500 a yr. Buy Tim Hortons Extra Large TT coffee everyday? Thats another $550 a yr. Brew it at home.
I think the gov should be handing out food stamps or a credit of some sort...not cash. However, people will find a way to get cash for them somehow.

I know there are some people that need this cash....but the problem is...the majority are going to just have a party with it.

vanessalynn5484
04-24-2007, 10:34 AM
vanessalynn5484, so you want me to go back to school again to better myself, even though I did this years ago because I wanted something more in life than a low paying job. I wanted a career. Well I have that now, I worked hard to get and with no handouts. If I go to a hiher tax bracket than the one I am already in, I will pay even more taxes to supplement people than I already am now.

I would never quit my job without having another to go to, I am not stupid nor lazy. I refuse to feed off the system. I would work any minimum wage job before I would allow myself to stoop that low.

I am all for maternity leave also, as some day you will be back into the workforce, I am not for the ones who go on leave and use up all their EI and than go on welfare.

I also respect that you have your opinions and seem to be a caring person, so am I, but again, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. When it is coming straight out of my pocket and I have to cut back to supplement someone else and I work full time, that is just wrong.That was very well put! :) I was just joking about you quitting your job though, but I realize it may not have come off that way given the context of the rest of my post.

vanessalynn5484
04-24-2007, 10:37 AM
1.) Cigarettes
2.) Gambling Machines
3.) Alcohol

I know there are some people that need this cash....but the problem is...the majority are going to just have a party with it.Argh. How do you know this for a fact? It's the word "majority" I am having a problem with.:rolleyes:

SaskSask
04-24-2007, 10:55 AM
A Glimpse of Child Hunger in Canada - October 1998
http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/cs/sp/sdc/pkrf/publications/research/1998-000125/page07.shtml

Poor women are 1.6 times more likely to smoke than do women of higher income groups (Jensen, 1994).

A Follow-up Study of Child Hunger in Canada - June 2001
http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/cs/sp/sdc/pkrf/publications/research/2001-000172/page09.shtml

At a smoking rate of 58%, hungry mothers are clearly smoking well above societal norms.

Call me crazy =/

vanessalynn5484
04-24-2007, 10:57 AM
Smoking does not a party make.

The_Dave
04-24-2007, 11:30 AM
I guess it depends on what you are smoking. hehe Just a little humour, not intended for anyone.

SaskSask
04-24-2007, 11:42 AM
Overall....everyone is getting squeezed.
There are those that can't get the help...that really need it. And there are those that have it...but don't really need it (or abuse it, waste it).

space
04-24-2007, 11:45 AM
I guess we all have to learn to live with it!!

rhiley_08j
04-24-2007, 11:56 AM
No matter what there will be people that will take advantage of the money, those that don't truly need it and will squander it away. The thing to remember though is the people that do need it, and the fact that it will remove some burden on their shoulders.

It's too bad that the government couldn't assess everyones needs on an individual basis, or better yet, those that don't need it send it back to give to those that do.

SaskSask
04-24-2007, 12:10 PM
This is a little OT

All this money they give to help people for heating...is a band aid. The cost of heating is going to continue to go up....its a never ending cycle. Cost goes up...more handouts, it is a bottomless pit.

I would be a lot happier if they took this 7 million dollars and put up wind turbines...tidal turbines, and solar panels. As the power these items produce...never goes up. If they would put this money and all this other money they give away. It be interesting to see what effect it would have on everyone's power bill. I'd love to see the day when they have enough of these alternative forms of energy up..and we didn't burn things in NB for production of power. Therefor the cost of heating your house would cease (other then the pay for people to maintain these things) to rise.
I also know there are forces out there...that will never let this happen! As long as we burn something....they control it.

rhiley_08j
04-24-2007, 12:13 PM
This is a little OT

All this money they give to help people for heating...is a band aid. The cost of heating is going to continue to go up....its a never ending cycle. Cost goes up...more handouts, it is a bottomless pit.

I would be a lot happier if they took this 7 million dollars and put up wind turbines...tidal turbines, and solar panels. As the power these items produce...never goes up. If they would put this money and all this other money they give away. It be interesting to see what effect it would have on everyone's power bill. I'd love to see the day when they have enough of these alternative forms of energy up..and we didn't burn things in NB for production of power. Therefor the cost of heating your house would cease (other then the pay for people to maintain these things) to rise.
I also know there are forces out there...that will never let this happen! As long as we burn something....they control it.

Well said. I think that is the best idea. It's too bad that industry rules the government or we might actually see something like that happen.

sjchickie
04-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Well heating costs a ton where I am at...so I will be happy to see the extra few dollars in my pocket next year ;) .....Dave if you want to just give me that 15$ bucks now id be fine with that to...Just a little afternoon humor people

karen
04-24-2007, 12:39 PM
1.) Cigarettes
2.) Gambling Machines
3.) Alcohol

I wouldn't say that those who don't necessarily need it as much as some other do would be spending the $$$ on cigarettes, gambling machines and alcohol, I don't think that's fair to lump social assistance recipients into that catagory, but I do think that the money will be mismanaged. As you had mentioned, the cell phones, internet - all the perks!
I would be very interested to see an average power bill for someone who is eligible for the benefit versus you or I (all isaintjohners in general). I"m willing to bet my hydro bill is alot more than thiers and we are pretty energy efficient in this house.

rhiley_08j
04-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Here is a link describing alternative energy sources that have great potential if they were utilized.

http://home.utah.edu/~ptt25660/tran.html

Mandi
04-24-2007, 12:53 PM
Woohoo!!! beer pot and gambling here I come!

But... not really. I don't know why some people assume all low income people spend their money on those things, or that all low income families are on assistance. Neither are necessarily true.

sjchickie
04-24-2007, 01:07 PM
cheers to that mandy. LOL stop treating recipients as if they are not people too. No they shouldn't spend there money on Booze and drugs and smokes but it's there free right to do it. I understand its upseting to those who pay taxes however who's to say that all people on assistance who smoke and drink are abusing the system??? and who is to say that those who smoke and drink and gamble are all low income? etc. this is sociological matter...because of the constitution they cant tell the people on assistance that they can or can not buy ciagrettes. Its not considered an abuse and its not pro-hibited. unfortunately for those of you who get sour about such things, the city of saint john wastes 40,000$ a year alone to light that STUPID peice of junk saint john sign...its ridiculous we arent hollywood. So Why not gribe about a LIGHT thats not even a living thing..at least your dollars are going to some childs belly instead of lighting a sign that serves no purpose. life is way to short for all this griping

serialspell
04-24-2007, 01:24 PM
i agree, i pay my fair share of taxes and if they are going back to the people instead of some new underground walkway or a new sign that is not needed, great

vanessalynn5484
04-24-2007, 01:33 PM
i agree, i pay my fair share of taxes and if they are going back to the people instead of some new underground walkway or a new sign that is not needed, greathere here :D

The_Dave
04-24-2007, 01:33 PM
sjchickie, I agree, ( yes we agree ) that sign is a colossal waste of money, thats our city council for you. As for the $15 dollars, If you truly need it, I would be more than happy to help. Where should I bounce/send the cheque to???

vanessalynn5484
04-24-2007, 01:38 PM
This is a little OT

Yes, but you are stereotyping low income families when the problem seems to be like the government isn't making full use of it's resources.

A lot of your argument was lost on me when you posted the needlessness about proving a stereotype.

Anyways I am glad that people who do need it are going to get it.

When you lump everyone into categories like that it's really unfair.

vanessalynn5484
04-24-2007, 01:40 PM
Woohoo!!! beer pot and gambling here I come!

Where do I sign up???? lol yeah i'm just kiddin....

rhiley_08j
04-24-2007, 01:47 PM
I think it's great that they are helping out the low income people that need it. What I was wondering though was based on what I read it appears that it will all be going to be on income assistance as an increase to their check, what about those of us that are low income but do not get a income assistance check? Does that mean that we don't get anything?

Mandi
04-24-2007, 02:03 PM
I think it's great that they are helping out the low income people that need it. What I was wondering though was based on what I read it appears that it will all be going to be on income assistance as an increase to their check, what about those of us that are low income but do not get a income assistance check? Does that mean that we don't get anything?
I didn't actually read it, but if that is the case, what a kick in the teeth that is!I would certainly hope it goes to the /working/ low class as well.

vanessalynn5484
04-24-2007, 02:29 PM
From what I have read it seems to be for families on assistance. There is something about a supplement to help make your home more energy efficient that appears to be open to low income families. I am not completely sure, but that is just what I gathered from what I read.

The_Dave
04-24-2007, 04:21 PM
See the link I posted when I started the thread, it tells you who is eligible.

trinity
04-24-2007, 04:34 PM
It isn't that I think I am entitled to a handout, by no means am I starving. But at some point there has to be a limit. I had one power bill already this winter that was 325 and another that was 280. I make a decent living, but where do you draw the line? I am a single woman, the sole provider for my own life. I have a roommate but we are just that, flatmates. So we split the rent. If he were gone, I would just be looking for a cheaper apartment, go to basic cable if any, and get rid of the home phone and go with cell only and essentially cut my expenses in half.
This is ridiculous, I already freeze all winter in slippers and sweaters and extra blankets. I sit by my computer with only a table lamp in another room for light. My appliances are all brand new so they are energy efficient, and I bought a toaster oven to avoid having to use my big stove for little jobs like a single chicken breast etc. What more can I do? But I don't qualify because I make too much. Says who? I know I live way easier than some, because I chose to not bring children into this world. I don't mind subsidizing other people in dire straits who have kids, I really don't. But where's MY break? Why do I live in lower conditions than my parents did, when my father didn't even have a high school diploma and I have two university degrees? I can't even save for retirement because of power bills and student loans!

And once again, I want to see some ACCOUNTABILITY, not just a hand out of free money to every Tom, Dick and harriet who might have heat/lights included in their rent!!

vanessalynn5484
04-24-2007, 05:03 PM
If anyone would like to help support my children, go purchase something from my storefront :biggrin:. Just wanted to throw that out there.....

LOL

sjchickie
04-24-2007, 05:11 PM
trinity. as someone who will be receiving this benefit your grossely misinformed. The benefit will not go to people whos H+L are included in their rent. Everytime you move on assistance your landlord is required to fill out a form stating (among other things) weather or not heat and lights are included. If He checks YES your not entitled to these benefits.

A supplement has always been given to people on assistance during the winter...i think my cheque went up 30$ but im not sure. Not all of us abuse and use the assistance system some of us (like me who has 40 hours short for unemployment when i decided to go back to university), its really to bad you all feel this way, as long as everyone knows there is a difference.

Ask anyone who takes sociology. Not everyone in the group of interest smokes, does drugs, and buys booze. But some of these people on assistance probably do so and still do NOT abuse the system. Some people over eat, some people love shopping. Booze and cigs are legal, its just silly to stereotype.

sunnyj
04-24-2007, 05:24 PM
WOW! I agree with Dave again! LOL!! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!! I think this supplement should be ONLY for working people.... Why do we need to keep helping people that WILL NOT help themselves? If we want to get people off of welfare, we should make it harder for them.. right now they have things WAY too easy! I understand that some people are on it because they are unable to work, and that is fine.. if they are going to school, fine... but these people that are just too LAZY to get jobs??? The province should purchase some buildings, put them all in them, and instead of giving them money, give them the basic needs... supply the heat and lights, set up basic phone service... give them food stamps, clothing vouchers for Salvation Army... give them NO money.. make them do without cable and internet and cell phones... how many of the lazy bums would stay on the system then??? We make it way too easy for these people.. past the point where ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!

vanessalynn5484
04-24-2007, 05:30 PM
I just love *dripping with sarcasm* how yet another thread has turned into income assistance bashing.

I'm just so over it.

It's all been said before. If you can't discuss the governments lack of organization or sense without bashing people on income assistance than you must have a VERY flimsy point.

vanessalynn5484
04-24-2007, 05:31 PM
WOW! I agree with Dave again! LOL!! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!! I think this supplement should be ONLY for working people.... Why do we need to keep helping people that WILL NOT help themselves? If we want to get people off of welfare, we should make it harder for them.. right now they have things WAY too easy! I understand that some people are on it because they are unable to work, and that is fine.. if they are going to school, fine... but these people that are just too LAZY to get jobs??? The province should purchase some buildings, put them all in them, and instead of giving them money, give them the basic needs... supply the heat and lights, set up basic phone service... give them food stamps, clothing vouchers for Salvation Army... give them NO money.. make them do without cable and internet and cell phones... how many of the lazy bums would stay on the system then??? We make it way too easy for these people.. past the point where ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!

Better yet why don't we make them wear a big red symbol sewn onto their clothes "IA" so that we can see them when they walk among us & be sure to be weary :p

*once again, that was very sarcastic*

girdy
04-24-2007, 06:47 PM
Ask anyone who takes sociology. Not everyone in the group of interest smokes, does drugs, and buys booze. But some of these people on assistance probably do so and still do NOT abuse the system. Some people over eat, some people love shopping. Booze and cigs are legal, its just silly to stereotype.

There is a stereotype that you are welcome to use for those of us NOT in the group of interest. We've chosen to work for our pay check.

It's not that we don't mind helping out, it's that we hate being taken advantage of. There is too much of the latter going on, and we're getting fed up.

vanessalynn5484
04-24-2007, 06:56 PM
**sigh** so once again this thread has turned into "us" against "them".

Man I am sick of reading pages and pages of income assistance bashing on this forum. So you know what?

I'm out for now,
have fun.

Oh yeah and for all of you who said "Oh I don't mean everyone BUT...and then went into a huge spiel about the "abusers", I don't see the point in posting the disclaimer because your message about your attitude towards people who are not as well off as you shines through it.

You think that these people are taking money out of your pocket? Well it's not THEM, it's the government and if they were not giving it to the poorest then what? Oh maybe some politician would get a nice long vacation. I honestly think that by bashing people on assistance whether you FEEL you have noted the difference between the two groups or not you are still insulting the group as a whole.

Why? Because you are spreading the stereotype.

The_Dave
04-24-2007, 09:14 PM
vanessalynn5484, you are missing the point. People are fed up. We are tired of supporting others and not getting any breaks ourselves, just because we are the middle class. Do you think we have money trees growing in our places of dwelling. NO, we live mostly paycheque to paycheque. Each time a new government program is created, where do you think the money comes from? Thats right, us. That means WE have to cut back on something to make up the difference and WE are the ones working. Go figure??? As for welfare bashing, that is not why I posted this thread, even though this new program is mainly( 99% ) for those on assistance, except for one part that helps people make their home more energy efficient. I posted to vent and educate others as to where our hard earned dollars go. I am sick of it. I don't mind helping the elderly and those that medically cannot work, but as for the rest, NO WAY!! If you can work, you should not qualify for income assistance! I know lots of people who scratched and clawed to support themselves and their families instead of accepting handouts. They have to much pride. Our country has spoiled people. It is all to easy to have someone else support you. It needs to stop. I personally do not want the handout, but I also do not want to pay for others who will not help themselves but are able to mentally and physically. Again, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

orange
04-24-2007, 09:20 PM
vanessalynn5484, you are missing the point. People are fed up. We are tired of supporting others and not getting any breaks ourselves, just because we are the middle class. Do you think we have money trees growing in our places of dwelling. NO, we live mostly paycheque to paycheque. Each time a new government program is created, where do you think the money comes from? Thats right, us. That means WE have to cut back on something to make up the difference and WE are the ones working. Go figure??? As for welfare bashing, that is not why I posted this thread, even though this new program is mainly( 99% ) for those on assistance, except for one part that helps people make their home more energy efficient. I posted to vent and educate others as to where our hard earned dollars go. I am sick of it. I don't mind helping the elderly and those that medically cannot work, but as for the rest, NO WAY!! If you can work, you should not qualify for income assistance! I know lots of people who scratched and clawed to support themselves and their families instead of accepting handouts. They have to much pride. Our country has spoiled people. It is all to easy to have someone else support you. It needs to stop. I personally do not want the handout, but I also do not want to pay for others who will not help themselves but are able to mentally and physically. Again, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

You doth protest too much, Dave. You mentioned in the past that you made 40ish thousand. So you basically pay back in taxes just a little more than you take out (for education, healthcare, police, etc.). Yeah, there are abusers, but you write in an offensive way that pretty much accuses all readers of "taking your money". I get ticked off at abusers too, and people in general who blow money on gambling and booze, but your writing is over the top

sjchickie
04-24-2007, 09:22 PM
You all spend entirely to much time worrying about welfare receipients who are you to judge who should and should not receive welfare? Are you a trained professional? This is all so silly....I am proud to say I am a university student and not ashamed to say i accepted assistance to support my child while i got the education we both need. You guys have this huge mis conception that what 85% of those on welfare abuse the system? Maybe in New brunswick...maybe but probably not. When I pulled my back out while pregnant out west it took me 3 months to get welfare. Its incredibly difficult to scam i needed a doctors note, they called my previous work place, etc.

I am just saying that some of us are on it and sick of being bashed by you guys. Its getting tiresome!!! It turns me away from wanting to come on the site at all..i understand your positions however your live in a country where you vote in politicians who make these rules. Stop blaming those on welfare...

vanessalynn5484
04-24-2007, 09:35 PM
you live in a country where you vote in politicians who make these rules. Stop blaming those on welfare...

Amen.

vanessalynn5484
04-24-2007, 09:38 PM
I am not responding to you Dave...well I am...
but only to say this: I was not necessarily talking about this thread. I am talking about what this thread is going to turn into as well as other threads.

I am just saying it's all been said before and it's getting old.

Broken records can only play so long right? I hope.

I am not sticking up for people who break the law, that is not what I am talking about.

The_Dave
04-24-2007, 09:38 PM
I pay my fair share of taxes so that entitles me to protest too much. I can judge also if I feel MY tax dollars are being wasted, it is my right. sjchickie, people like you who go to school and educate themselves then get into the work force and pay taxes, I do not mind helping, it is the ones who won't help themselves. This is what I say in all my threads about tax dollars being wasted. They are spoiled by our tax dollars.

Also orange this statement is all wrong "You mentioned in the past that you made 40ish thousand. So you basically pay back in taxes just a little more than you take out (for education, healthcare, police, etc.)" I don't take anything from the education system, I have no children, my parents taxes paid for my education, heathcare, I am relatively healthy, also have a company plan, don't really need heathcare too much yet (knock on wood), police and fire, well that is for everyone rich middleclass and poor, a necessity. So you see orange not only am I not taking much out of the system but I am paying into it (alot) so others can take my share, your share and others share. Get it???

The_Dave
04-24-2007, 09:42 PM
vanessalynn5484, I hear you about the broken records, but we the people can only pay so much for so long. It will only get worse before it gets any better I am afraid.

Cherry Pop
04-24-2007, 10:26 PM
I just want to add that I will not benefit from this. As you all know I'm on income assistance but because I live in a co-op, income assistance won't help me with my heating bill which isn't included in my rent. My highest bill this winter was $290. This month it's down to $190 and quite honestly I can't afford to pay it all. Yes this might be high but I had surgery and have been sick all winter so I really needed to heat my apartment more than usual. It seems to me that alot of people who really need the help from income assistance never quite fit the criteria of their "special programs". By the way I'm doing much better but still have alot of healing to go. However, I'm hoping to be back to part-time work in early fall and full time work by winter(knock on wood)!!

trinity
04-24-2007, 10:41 PM
I just object to it being splashed across the front page of the paper like the government is doing something to help people, when in fact they are only helping the small number who are on IA. I was happy for about 30 seconds when I read the headline, then I got to the part about who qualifies and once again, I make too much money, am too healthy and too childless. I get so much deducted every pay, and yet when the time comes for help for those of us with electric heat and whose power bill is NOT included in their rent, I am kicked in the teeth yet again. Why not give that money to NB Power so they can NOT raise the rates so much for EVERYONE?

rhiley_08j
04-24-2007, 11:25 PM
Why not give that money to NB Power so they can NOT raise the rates so much for EVERYONE?

Smartest thing I have heard anyone say so far. Everybody take a deep breath and relax. To each his own. This topic is "like trying to beat a dead horse" so to speak.

rhiley_08j
04-25-2007, 05:46 PM
http://www.iconburst.com/avatars/animated/869Text_194.GIF (http://www.iconburst.com)

sunnyj
04-25-2007, 06:04 PM
I guess that rather than put these people into 1 category, lets split them up.. there are those who are receiving assistance ( those who CANNOT work for whatever reason, be it a disablility or going to school ), and those who are WELFARE PEOPLE. Those of you that are receiving assistance, hey... nothing wrong with that.. nothing at all!!! If you are unable to work, or if you are trying to better yourself, I am sure that most people have no problem with that... It is the WELFARE PEOPLE that people have a problem with.. the people that sit around and do nothing.. have the boyfriend living there ( who is working ), popping out babies to get more family allowances,... those are the people we have a problem with!!

vanessalynn5484
04-25-2007, 06:21 PM
Wow I got myself a baaaaaad case of deja vu.:mad:

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/vanessalynn548454/emoties/sass.gif

Cherry Pop
04-26-2007, 09:05 AM
http://www.iconburst.com/avatars/animated/869Text_194.GIF (http://www.iconburst.com)

LOL!!

vanessalynn5484
04-26-2007, 11:35 AM
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/vanessalynn548454/emoties/30cc9dh_th.gif
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/vanessalynn548454/emoties/z10168632.jpg

mizunderstood
05-03-2007, 08:40 PM
how come most of these benefits are for "social assistance recipients". What about us working poor smucks that cannot afford to pay our rent or buy diapers because we make min wage? I work very hard for my money as does my partner, and we can barely get by. We could defintaly use this "heating hand out" as some refer to it... There are just days whereI want to give up totally and go on assistance.. U get all these beneifts that the working poor like me don't get... You get free health coverage.. Which I have to pay over 200 a month for with my company... you get to stay at home and spend your days with your kids which is fantastic! you get paid to stay at home, Its nuts! now I know there are some people that truly need it and that is fine but when u just refuse to go out and get a job thats sick! sorry if I offended anyone... Having one of those days where I wish I could just sit on my butt and get a check, but alas I have work to do.. darn... I remember going to apply for assistance years ago when my son was born (2 weeks old), just moved to this province, no money in my pocket, nothing.. All I wanted was enough to buy milk for my baby and I was refused because I was capable of working! I was looking but u don't get a job and get paid the same day...arg.. sorry rant over.. But honestly how come there is nothing out there for us working poor people or the ones that work, make good money, pay a lot of taxes? How come they don't get anything? I hate to admit it, but I agree with the dave...