PDA

View Full Version : does anyone know about Skinny Pigs (hairless guinea pigs AKA House Hippo)

harbourchick07
04-23-2007, 05:33 PM
Does any one here know anything about skinny pigs. I am thinking about getting one to keep my guinea pig happy. Her sister passed away a while ago and she has been eating little to no food. there is a mouse in with her now but she is only there until i get her new cage set up so that i can see what her babies look like when they get fur lol. I was just wondering if anyone know if it would be a good idea to have a normal guinea pig and a hairless one together. There was one at Pets Unlimited that i felt so sorry for i wanted to steal him he was so scared and bite up and he was soooooooo cute ! I wonder if i did got a male what their babies(skinny pig and normal pig) would look like:rofl:

puppyluv
04-23-2007, 06:45 PM
They are hairless guinea pigs. If you get one, they have to be the same sex as what you have...if it is past a certain age and not bred, (female) and then ets pregnant, the pelvis is fused and she will not be able to physically pass the babies and will die a painful death.

harbourchick07
04-23-2007, 07:03 PM
i know all about the normal guinea pigs, i used to breed them, i just don't know very much about Skinny Pigs, All i know is that they are more affectionate because they like the body heat eat a lot more and if you let them out side they need sun screen. The pig i have now was a breeder pig, she is 1 know ( just turned on last month) and after they are 1 if you haven't breed them then it is not a good idea to breed them , because as you did say their pelvic bone grows. I was just wondering if a skinny pig would be a good idea to get, i am allergic to normal guinea pigs if i hold them to my bare skin i break out but other then that if i have a hoodie on or something i am fine. i am half tempted to get a male and she what happens lol. I am thinking on seeing if the pet store in the mall can get them and sell them cheaper then at Pets Unlimited(89 dollars i think) :eek: