PDA

View Full Version : D.A.R.E program. Should it be thought to a lower grade level?

harbourchick07
04-22-2007, 06:26 PM
After the incedant at Forest Hills schools in all honestly i think programs like DARE should focus more on the younger grades as well as the higher grades. not only should it be involving Drug abuse but i also think it should focus on bullying as well. does anyone else think this should be taking to acknowledgment? i do and i think it will help with a lot of problems younger kids seem to be having.

The_Dave
04-24-2007, 11:32 AM
I agree, but don't leave it all up to the teachers and police, it must start at home.

karen
04-24-2007, 12:45 PM
I know that the schools my children attend both commit a week to bullying and preventing it. In addition, I'm pretty sure the DARE program is offered in both schools starting at grade 4.
We, as their parents also take the initiative to talk to our children and see what is going on with them on a daily basis. If we see or hear of something that doesn't sit well with us then the issue is addressed either with the teacher/school or we will deal with it directly.
Parents have to step up to the plate and take responsibility for thier children and for thier safety. Don't wait for someone else to do your job!

Mandi
04-24-2007, 01:04 PM
I agree, but don't leave it all up to the teachers and police, it must start at home.

It's really unfortunate how true that statement is, and how it's never going to happen. Sadly there will always be the parents who don't give a damn. It's heartbreaking that some parents abuse the right to have children in order to make money, and then pawn them off onto their grand parents, who are old and tired. I doubt it happens often but I personally know of 3 similar cases to this. ( one of whom had 7 kids.... Welfare check =750 a month, CTB= 1750 a month, together she made 2500 a month, and rarely even saw her kids. It's disgusting but it happens.) Some people see children as a meal ticket. Some parents just don't know how to deal with bullying, some are just plain apathetic to it thinking it will go away or their children will grow out of it. I think that parents should be made to learn things about bullying and how to help their children get through it and to prevent it. It is just appauling to me that anyone can have a child but you need a liscense to drive a car, and you have to be a certain age to drink. But when you have babies, you go to the hospital, and unless you're low income, they pretty much say don't let the door hit you on the way out. There really should be some kind of mandatory parenting course like DARE.

rubycshells
04-24-2007, 03:42 PM
I firmly believe in early prevention programs.

fergiak
04-24-2007, 09:23 PM
this is an interesting topic, since I have thought about this topic many times, I have 2 teenagers who have gone through the DARE program in grade 5, it's a greta year to give the course, however, I believe ( now that my kids are in high school) that the course should be re-offered or reinforced in the late middle school or early high scholl years. It is also up to the parents to talk to tthier kids and keep the lines of communication opem, sadly, many don't

harbourchick07
04-25-2007, 05:36 PM
Wow Mandi :D the whole time while reading what you wrote i was nodding my head. I have a 2 year old niece, Her mother wants to leave her boyfriend, but is afraid i think there should be a program for this to ( i think there is ) she wont leave him cause of Em. But she (the mom) gets me to stand up for her and the baby. Not only do i think that DARE should be thought in school i also now think that they should have it for ALL people. I know i would go lol. I think it is sad what happens in homes now a day. Like i personally think it is funny to watch my friends boy friend run away from me but in the same time when i have her calling me up bagging me to go get Emily and take her out because her and her man are fighting breaks my heart. DARE you see the signs everywhere "This is a DARE community " i dont think so for some places. DARE should come together with other people and focus on more things that happen in school besides Drugs, such as bullying and even things that happen at home. I dont know how to approach the fact to the public any better way then this hopefully someone really BIG will see this and start something.

rhiley_08j
04-25-2007, 05:42 PM
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m64/rhiley_08j/mz_05_10007448688.gif

I think we should just lock them all up in the basement, and then we won't have to worry about the outside world. LOL.

harbourchick07
04-25-2007, 07:00 PM
lol if only it was that easy lol.

Tara
04-25-2007, 07:01 PM
I'm not against assistance for people who need it, I actually have a few good friends who are getting degrees and are doing exceptionally well. Anyway. I know it's off topic but I need to vent a little. I know a girl from HS who had dropped out in grade 10. She's having child #4 and her oldest is 5. She has no ambition to do anything, neither does her husband. They just keep intentionally trying to have more children. She then proceeded to "brag" about the amount she will now be getting with her check and family allowance. She doesnt even take good care of her kids, her husband does. She pretty much ignores her boys and was jealous of the fact that I was having a girl when she was pregnant with her second boy. Her kids are well behind because they are not getting the proper care. I remember my son and her oldest used to play together when they were younger and I was amazed in the difference between the two though they are only a month apart. Anyway. End rant.

But yes, they definately should be doing more with the dare program. And it should be every year. And really they should be doing things with that program for every grade. I VAGUELY remember something about dare when I was in school but have no idea what I "learned" there.

gumbyone
04-25-2007, 07:43 PM
After the incedant at Forest Hills schools in all honestly i think programs like DARE should focus more on the younger grades as well as the higher grades. not only should it be involving Drug abuse but i also think it should focus on bullying as well. does anyone else think this should be taking to acknowledgment? i do and i think it will help with a lot of problems younger kids seem to be having.

I used to be involved with the DARE program at the elementry school level. It does have a K-12 program but the local PD's dont have the officers dedicated to the program so they only can teach it when they have the time. Thus they try to get the kids just before the peer pressure does, this is usually at the middle school level. So for the most part it is taught at the grade 5 level. 2 years ago when I was last involved it cost the school $750 for a 6 week program for aprox 60 grade 5 kids.

dave

harbourchick07
04-29-2007, 07:03 PM
Tara it is alright that you wanted to vent about that girl that is totally ok it shows what is happing in today society. Dave I know what the DARE program does i was in it in grade 5. with Cons. Sheppard. But i still think that there should be way more things in schools today that alow the kids to know what is going on. A big thing that goes on in high schools is the MADD program every year they come and tell there story and every year drinking and driving still remains the number on killer of teens. The DARE program should take more levels then Drugs and peer pressure they should come up with something that does more, maybe take the kids on an outing to the jails or show them a video on what drugs can do, i have seen this video its is grusem but it got kids thinking. There is so much out there that needs to be done that a bigger then the pot hole problem lol; and no one seems to be doing anything about it and i think they should. There is things that help First Steps is for teens with babies but can only take in so many people they should maybe get another house that is bigger or so. The Hestia house is for abuse women they are a great place. Half way house for the homeless could probably be a bit bigger. Madd program. Look listen and live. and many other things. But there are children out there that are running the streets till 2 in the morning that are only 6 -13 years old!

gumbyone
04-29-2007, 08:04 PM
Hmm, Sheppard, if i remember correctly one of the areas first :-) There is way more to the DARE program than anyone ever sees around here. If people want more they need to voice that to the police chief. The more he hears from the public about wanting it the more time he will allow the officers to spend on it. The DARE program is very hard on out local officers as they dont get the time they need to do the program so most of them do alot of it on thier own time.

Dave

Tara it is alright that you wanted to vent about that girl that is totally ok it shows what is happing in today society. Dave I know what the DARE program does i was in it in grade 5. with Cons. Sheppard. But i still think that there should be way more things in schools today that alow the kids to know what is going on. A big thing that goes on in high schools is the MADD program every year they come and tell there story and every year drinking and driving still remains the number on killer of teens. The DARE program should take more levels then Drugs and peer pressure they should come up with something that does more, maybe take the kids on an outing to the jails or show them a video on what drugs can do, i have seen this video its is grusem but it got kids thinking. There is so much out there that needs to be done that a bigger then the pot hole problem lol; and no one seems to be doing anything about it and i think they should. There is things that help First Steps is for teens with babies but can only take in so many people they should maybe get another house that is bigger or so. The Hestia house is for abuse women they are a great place. Half way house for the homeless could probably be a bit bigger. Madd program. Look listen and live. and many other things. But there are children out there that are running the streets till 2 in the morning that are only 6 -13 years old!

harbourchick07
04-30-2007, 07:44 PM
Yeah Sheppard..Why? If they do it on their own time then they should be able to construct their lesson plan, instead of fallowing a book the whole time. The DARE program thought me stuff, but i wanted to learn more and enrolled myself into Law class last semester and was on outings like crazy. The jail yeah its a scary place and i think if children could just get a glimpse just sit in the chair and have the guards tell them their stories i think would highly help. You say you are an officer wouldn't you be able to print some of this off and show him or show him off a computer in the office. I dunno, but i know that there needs to be a lot done, and so do other people on this forum. I see This is a DARE community signs up everywhere when they really are not that at all.

gumbyone
04-30-2007, 07:51 PM
Yeah Sheppard..Why? If they do it on their own time then they should be able to construct their lesson plan, instead of fallowing a book the whole time. The DARE program thought me stuff, but i wanted to learn more and enrolled myself into Law class last semester and was on outings like crazy. The jail yeah its a scary place and i think if children could just get a glimpse just sit in the chair and have the guards tell them their stories i think would highly help. You say you are an officer wouldn't you be able to print some of this off and show him or show him off a computer in the office. I dunno, but i know that there needs to be a lot done, and so do other people on this forum. I see This is a DARE community signs up everywhere when they really are not that at all.

No I am not an officer, just a parrent who worked on bringing programs into the schools. DARE was one that we funded and I was always willing to pass the $$$ over. I have sat infront of him on many occasions talking about the program, mostly to fight to keep what we have as sadly it has gotten to be a smaller and smaller program every year. It is the voice of many that get the attention :-)

dave

harbourchick07
04-30-2007, 09:59 PM
well then lets have a voice and do something about it. I think we have enough evidence on it from here.

kate
05-04-2007, 12:59 PM
I agree i am now in high school an the amount of drugs going is is just crasy. I think dare should be taughted ti grades 5 and 8. Grade 8 is the last year before high school and that would teach other to that age group. I see everyday alot of teenages doing drugs. Most of us just dont realise what it does to your body.

mcduff
05-04-2007, 08:51 PM
The DARE program, which is taught in schools all over North America, is not age appropriate for younger grades. There are many other programs which already address these issues beginning in Kindergarten. The programs are age appropriate and are taught as part of the You and Your World Curriculum in New Brunswick Schools. Younger students are presented programs on personal safety, how to indentify bullying, how to deal with bullies, how to get along with others etc.

mcduff
05-04-2007, 08:54 PM
And by the way.....parents have some responsiblity in this too.

gumbyone
05-04-2007, 09:05 PM
The DARE program, which is taught in schools all over North America, is not age appropriate for younger grades. There are many other programs which already address these issues beginning in Kindergarten. The programs are age appropriate and are taught as part of the You and Your World Curriculum in New Brunswick Schools. Younger students are presented programs on personal safety, how to indentify bullying, how to deal with bullies, how to get along with others etc.

What you are describing is the DARE program. It is not a total drug program, it teaches the kids how to have self esteem and how to realate on a friendly baises with the police and their peers ect ect .. Its program is age specific and deals with topics that fit their needes at that age, it has been developed to start the kids at an early age to help them in all aspects of growing up so when they reach the age where peer pressure and bullying ect ect start that they are strong enough not only in knowledge but also in them selves.

All of the emementry schools I have been in have welcomed the program.

I can only say that the statments you made are definitly uneducated ones.

PS please ignore the spelling and or grammer as it has been a long day :-)

Dave

mcduff
05-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Please, don't call people undeducated. It is rude.

What I am saying is that just because DARE is not taught at a lower grade level doesn't mean that students aren't exposed to programs in New Brunswick before Grade 5....which is what someone earlier in the thread stated.

gumbyone
05-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Please, don't call people undeducated. It is rude.

What I am saying is that just because DARE is not taught at a lower grade level doesn't mean that students aren't exposed to programs in New Brunswick before Grade 5....which is what someone earlier in the thread stated.

Mcduff, I agree it may have been rude, however you said was "The DARE program, which is taught in schools all over North America, is not age appropriate for younger grades." which is an uneducated statement to how the program is developed and taught. I agree the course for a grade 5 student would not make much sence to someone in Kindergarden.

and I agree all education no matter what the topic should begin at home, I just wonder how the kids will make out where the parrents are only interested in getting that certin cheque and not the childs general well being.

Dave

mcduff
05-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Schools are not the place to solve all of societies problems. I am a little tired of the attitude that schools must make up for all of the shortcomings of parents. My Dad said to me earlier today "Did you hear about the problems they are having at schools in NS? Guns in schools". I said "The schools are where they found out the children had guns and took them away. The guns didn't come from school....so why do schools always get the blame?"

harbourchick07
05-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Ok Mcduff, This is My thread, that I started and by the sounds of things "which is what someone earlier in the thread stated." i would like to know how you are referring to because it is very very rude, and i can if i wish have your post removed. This thread is about the DARE program being thought through out schools, Gumbyone is right you do seem a little uneducated, in on thread you said it was not age app. then said it was. What is up with that? Please refrain from saying negative things about this thread, as you clearly do not know what it is about.

On the other note. Schools get the blame because during the 7 or so hours that the students are in the school they are the schools responsibility, HVHS got a bad rep. a few years back when there was a fight in RiverView park and the police where called, the thing was it was a fight between 3 neighboring high school HVHS STM and SJHS and ONLY HV got the blame. DARE should be thought to ALL students in different formulas and so forth. high school teachers who teach law sometimes take their students to the Correctional center.

Mandi
05-06-2007, 09:12 PM
Ok Mcduff, This is My thread, that I started and by the sounds of things "which is what someone earlier in the thread stated." i would like to know how you are referring to because it is very very rude, and i can if i wish have your post removed. This thread is about the DARE program being thought through out schools, Gumbyone is right you do seem a little uneducated, in on thread you said it was not age app. then said it was. What is up with that? Please refrain from saying negative things about this thread, as you clearly do not know what it is about.

On the other note. Schools get the blame because during the 7 or so hours that the students are in the school they are the schools responsibility, HVHS got a bad rep. a few years back when there was a fight in RiverView park and the police where called, the thing was it was a fight between 3 neighboring high school HVHS STM and SJHS and ONLY HV got the blame. DARE should be thought to ALL students in different formulas and so forth. high school teachers who teach law sometimes take their students to the Correctional center.

It became everyone's thread when you posted it, it does not belong to you. Deal.

harbourchick07
05-06-2007, 09:32 PM
It became everyone's thread when you posted it, it does not belong to you. Deal.
The first part of my post was about him saying stuff and, Yes i have had people tell me that they were going to the Admins to have my post removed from a thread they posted because they did not want it in there.
Mcduff Clearly doesn't know what this thread is about and it almost seems that he seen it and then just jumped in and started talking before reading the whole thing. Please to not be hypocritical in this thread it is strictly for the comfort of parents and concerned neighbors about teaching programs such as DARE to students as well as adults.

Mandi
05-07-2007, 08:40 AM
The first part of my post was about him saying stuff and, Yes i have had people tell me that they were going to the Admins to have my post removed from a thread they posted because they did not want it in there.
Mcduff Clearly doesn't know what this thread is about and it almost seems that he seen it and then just jumped in and started talking before reading the whole thing. Please to not be hypocritical in this thread it is strictly for the comfort of parents and concerned neighbors about teaching programs such as DARE to students as well as adults.

Well then you 'clearly' did not read his or her thread. They stated wquite clearly that there are programs being taught at schools in newbrunswick starting at a kingergarten age level that are similar to the dare program in their teachings. I however doubt that all schools have taken on such programs and it's something that certainly deserves regulation, and some kind of consistancy. I would agree, (as would almost everyone I have spoken to on the subject) that parents are responsible for a lot of things that are happening, however the only one thing these 'acting out' children have in common is school. It's the only place where you can teach them all the same values, because unfortunately the kid in the back of the room who sees daddy beat mommy every other night is going to think differently than kids with different parents who teach good values and morals. Parents should take care of these things, but not all do. Personally, I would like to send my child to a school where the children know it's not ok to hurt one another, and think the only way that can happen is if it's taught in a controled environment; such as schools. I'd like to learn more about these programs they now have for grads K-5 and what they do and mean to accomplish.

mcduff
05-07-2007, 05:41 PM
I am new to this...but isn't this a place where people get to voice their opinions on issues? If someone posts a thread and only wants people to be able to reply if they agree, then I apologize....I didn't know I had to agree with the original poster of the thread.

The title of this thread is "DARE, Should it be taught to a lower grade level? I believe my posts were very appropriate and stuck to the topic at hand.

And by the way...I do know what I am talking about when I discuss NB Education Curriuclum. And NO...I don't think DARE, as it is currently presented in NB schools is age appropriate or the best program available to schools. There are many programs that deal with these issues and they are in every school.

harbourchick07
05-09-2007, 08:29 PM
i have dis agreed in threads about things and have had my posts removed. Parents shouldn't have to send their kid to a school with bullies but unforuntiatly it is happening, because things are not being thought to children before school and after school. There should be more things for people to do the will help reside from violence. Like more places for kids to go and places for adults to. not only should it be DARE thought in schools now BUT it should put together centers (like the Teen Center only by DARE)it would be less costly for schools and they could hold dances and outings to. There is a park now by my house to help keep kids away from violence, it is called Mommy and me (i think) but it is by the Fire hall. they hold Canada Day Celebrations their and they have brownies sparks girl guides and cubs and beavers. They play area has of coarse slides monkey bars and swings, there is also a skate/basket ball court. a hill for sliding and a bomb fire pit and it is all surrounded by houses. i thought that was pretty kool idea. and i think they should have more places lower west and such like this it might help keep kids out of trouble. I know two 13 year olds that or on house arrest for stealing and such. it is horrible what they are doing this day and age. I am 20 (profile is wrong) and i dont ever remember Saint John being as bad as it is now!

gumbyone
05-09-2007, 09:01 PM
I am new to this...but isn't this a place where people get to voice their opinions on issues? If someone posts a thread and only wants people to be able to reply if they agree, then I apologize....I didn't know I had to agree with the original poster of the thread.

The title of this thread is "DARE, Should it be taught to a lower grade level? I believe my posts were very appropriate and stuck to the topic at hand.

And by the way...I do know what I am talking about when I discuss NB Education Curriuclum. And NO...I don't think DARE, as it is currently presented in NB schools is age appropriate or the best program available to schools. There are many programs that deal with these issues and they are in every school.

Mcduff,

If you read this message then reread the past posts you will see a difference. What you said here I totally agree with, in NB the presented DARE program is so watered down that there might be other programs that could possibly do better.

Dave

harbourchick07
05-16-2007, 09:26 AM
I just think that the DARE programm needs a lot more things to do and that they should have more plces for children to go after school adn during the summer instead of going out on the streets all hours of the day and night and getting into trouble.