PDA

View Full Version : kitten eye problems

harbourchick07
04-22-2007, 12:07 PM
I have 4 3 week old kittens , and two of them has this gunk stuff in their eyes ( shorta like sleep) but it is a redish brown color and when i go and clean their eyes with a warm damp cloth after it is removed i have to try and get the puss out of the eye. It is the second time this has happened, and both times the kittens were born in a closet. could this be the problem? they kittens eyes have started to show some progress in cleaning up a bit but not much, also is it normal for kittens to have black eyes? the female has one black /brown eye and one blue.

MrsBeasley
04-22-2007, 01:58 PM
Not being a veterinarian and not knowing the vaccine history of your cats, but is sounds like your kittens could be infected with feline herpes virus (rhinotracheitis) which cats are normally vaccinated against. The only way for a true diagnosis and treatment would be to have them checked by your veterinarian.

Here's some articles that describe feline herpes infection:
http://www.eyeclinicforanimals.com/herpes.php
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?articleid=210

ceg
04-22-2007, 03:01 PM
It could just be weepy eyes. I had a few cats who had that and some cows who did too. We had to use just normal eyedrops for them. I can't remember what they were called but came in a green bottle and you could get them at Shoppers.

I would check with a vet though. That would be your best bet.

sjchickie
04-22-2007, 04:10 PM
Do they have a discharge coming out of their noses as well??? A common problem for kittens is Upper Respiratory Tract Infections.. They will continue to have the discharge out of their nose and eyes until they are given medication... I am not saying that this is what it is for sure but that is a common problem with young kittens... I do not think that them being born in the closet has anything to do with it... It could be a few things... Is the mother cleaning them properly??? Or does she not pay much attention to them... I am not a vet I just worked at a vet hospital for four years and saw many problems in cats and dogs... my guess would be on hte URTI but again I am not positive... only way to be sure is to take them to the vet...

harbourchick07
04-22-2007, 04:21 PM
one kitten had a runny nose but that cleared up. The last batch of kittens she had had it to but it cleared up on its own. i still dont understand the female having two different colored eyes. it almost looks like it is starting to turn blue. the two kittens that had it had it in both eyes now it is only in one and clearing up some what. they were pussing at first but now it just like sleep is harding on their eyes. Yes the mom is looking after them, she only comes out to eat. we are thinking about moving them to a different room as they are getting to big for the spot they are in. i am also wondering if maybe it is from the kittens playing if maybe their little claws poked them in the eye.

sjchickie
04-22-2007, 04:49 PM
As long as it is clearing up then I wouldn't worry about it. If they were sneezing and things that act kind of like a cold I would worry. Their eyes are sometimes blue when they are babies and then change as they get older and they don't always change at the same time so I wouldn't worry about that either. Do you know the daddy kitty??? If the father was part siamese then the kitten may just be taking after the siamese part... who knows but their eyes will likely change. Just keep their eyes cleaned out with a warm cloth and as long as it continues to get better than you should be in the clear... :D

harbourchick07
04-22-2007, 05:51 PM
im not sure who the dad is. her first couple of batches where with a neighbors cat but he is no longer around. she has had two batches that had kittens that looked like fluffy simease kittens (the blue point ones) and the kitten with the weird eyes is black orange and white and it wasnt blue first it was black lol i havent looked at it today but it looked like it is turning blue last night .

harbourchick07
04-25-2007, 04:49 PM
The kittens eye problem has cleared:D We removed them from the room they were in and cleaned their eyes. There hasn't been any discharge or anything we did discover that there was a draft where they were . lol