PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know when the potholes will disappear? Where are the city's road crews?

AreWeThereYetMom
04-20-2007, 10:08 PM
So tempted to add to Krista25's thread
but a different city topic / same city politics / same crappy roads!!

Anyone want to guess when the city will start fixing these crappy roads!!
No answers on the phone from any of their helpful staff other than some streets are priority over others. Sure, good answer, but where are the city workers for the repairs??

I slammed a very nice ripped up crater section on Woodward avenue the other night... no pylons - no signs to be found anywhere. There goes more cash for another frontend alignment - there was no stopping at that one while travelling 40 kms through there - Nasty!!

There's a very nice sinking rain grate on Visart and Lansdowne avenue for weeks now that would swallow a young child or a whole dog.

I won't even get into how many swerves one has to do around town now to avoid ripping treads off tires or twisting an ankle crossing the street.
Even seeing folks walk with a baby carriage or any kind of impairment appears challenging on our wonderful streets. Here's hoping that job posting for a Municipal Engineer gets filled soon :(

The newspaper quotes the city talks about cutting back road funds for other projects? :mad::mad: I'm tired of calling the operations office !!

vanessalynn5484
04-21-2007, 01:24 AM
My aunt lost a hub cab and almost busted a tire last year on Westmorland Road for crying out loud. One of the city's main streets right now. I do not know much about cars, but I do not think that's something that really should happen. Something else to worry about when I finally learn to drive lol :rolleyes:

Oh and this is not a threadjack:biggrin:, but just a mini-rant:o: I still have no street sign! Property taxes and misc expenses in this area are very high. We do appreciate the cross walk, but c'mon, how much extra effort would it be to put the sign back. We do not need a new one, the old one would have been just fine.....

6sixstring6
04-21-2007, 08:17 AM
Despite all of your grumbling about the condition of the roads, the city can't do much about the weather and how much frost we get and the damage it does to the roads.
Also, the hot asphalt plants are not open yet, so what do you suggest they fill the frost heaves and pot holes with?
And lastly, geographically, this is a very large city and we couldn't afford enough employees to be everywhere all at the same time.
I agree the roads are in rough shape, but I think we need to be somewhat reasonable in our expectations of what can be done about it and how fast it can be done.

kaj27
04-21-2007, 09:26 AM
Despite all of your grumbling about the condition of the roads, the city can't do much about the weather and how much frost we get and the damage it does to the roads.
Also, the hot asphalt plants are not open yet, so what do you suggest they fill the frost heaves and pot holes with?
And lastly, geographically, this is a very large city and we couldn't afford enough employees to be everywhere all at the same time.
I agree the roads are in rough shape, but I think we need to be somewhat reasonable in our expectations of what can be done about it and how fast it can be done.

I was gonna say...

Most of the fills they have been doing have been done by mixing the asphalt by hand.

The plants will be opening soon so expect the crews to start very soon.

vanessalynn5484
04-21-2007, 01:24 PM
So who exactly is all grumbling?

kaj27
04-21-2007, 04:24 PM
Probably the original poster. Kinda went off on a rant there without all the details.

vanessalynn5484
04-21-2007, 04:27 PM
oh okay...see I wasn't going to go off on a rant to defend myself unless I first was sure. :biggrin:

kaj27
04-21-2007, 04:30 PM
oh okay...see I wasn't going to go off on a rant to defend myself unless I first was sure. :biggrin:

hahah no no go off!!

vanessalynn5484
04-21-2007, 04:35 PM
I don't know, I've been listening to a lot of metal today....it may get bloody...jk:rofl:

vanessalynn5484
04-21-2007, 04:48 PM
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/vanessalynn548454/emoties/kaos-cactus14.gif

eugeneb
04-21-2007, 05:55 PM
the city crews can be found at any of the city's coffee shops.

kaj27
04-21-2007, 07:03 PM
the city crews can be found at any of the city's coffee shops.

Yeah God forbid they get a lunch or a break eh? I mean they only work their assess off.

But once again, THE ASPHALT PLANTS ARE CLOSED!

AreWeThereYetMom
04-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Grumbling? I'd say not.. more like experiencing a concern or displeasure on a specific topic.
Does no one else on here report a hazard or a concern to the city?? :confused:

I'm thankful that I'm not a city employee that have been 'grumbled' at in person.
Including the ones that have physical high cost vehicle damage or sincerely listen to someone's grief over a pedestrian injury resulting from the streets.

To clarify the Woodward Avenue section - this was a dug up sewer line section recently filled in by the city and left all alone to develop it's own teeth.

Isn't this a local issues forum? - I see my question is certainly valid for factual comments - not for hoping for more workers and weather control to feed reasonable expectations. I know the local asphalt plants aren't ramped up yet, but there's asphalt available - the hazardous priority streets aren't getting patched as was advised by operations dept.

No need to get testy folks! Go out and grab a coffee and take a drive. Just watch out you don't spill that hot coffee on you while you swerve that 'avoiding a hole' driver next to you LOL - now thats a scream with a grumble on top! :p

vanessalynn5484
04-21-2007, 09:01 PM
I didn't find that you were grumbling I enjoy your posts. They are always well written and informative and never rude or offensive.

Thank you for helping to add to the quality of the site, it is always appreciated by members like me :biggrin:

(we've met briefly and you were very polite and friendly:)).

kb
04-22-2007, 12:43 AM
Yeah God forbid they get a lunch or a break eh? I mean they only work their assess off.

But once again, THE ASPHALT PLANTS ARE CLOSED!

lmao you are kidding right 1 out of 10 might work their a-- of the rest spend their time hiding and trying to figure out how to get out of doing anything as for the plants being closed they do have a hot mix machine but then again with 1 in 10 actually doing work not much happens . but hey tourism dept might help you out. or the city manager oh wait he is busy trying to cover his ass.

matthew6992
04-23-2007, 12:12 PM
lmao you are kidding right 1 out of 10 might work their a-- of the rest spend their time hiding and trying to figure out how to get out of doing anything as for the plants being closed they do have a hot mix machine but then again with 1 in 10 actually doing work not much happens . but hey tourism dept might help you out. or the city manager oh wait he is busy trying to cover his ass.

lmao not all of them hide and more then one out of ten work , no i do not work for the city but ,yes my husband does and my son and they work . always bashing the city workers !!!guess u need some one to talk about .

vanessalynn5484
04-23-2007, 12:37 PM
Would your husband or son mind stopping by and putting my street sign back up :( I printed one off on my computer, but I am too short to reach the top of the crosswalk. :rofl:
lol I am just teasing. I am sure they do work very hard, but not all have the work ethic your family does, I imagine. Yes people may be bashing city workers for something to talk about, but also so people like you can post a nice rebuttal.

matthew6992
04-23-2007, 02:28 PM
[QUOTE=vanessalynn5484;86227]Would your husband or son mind stopping by and putting my street sign back up :( I printed one off on my computer, but I am too short to reach the top of the crosswalk. :rofl:
lol I am just teasing. I am sure they do work very hard, but not all have the work ethic your family does, I imagine. Yes people may be bashing city workers for something to talk about, but also so people like you can post a nice rebuttal.[/QUOTE

see if he can put it up lol

rhiley_08j
04-23-2007, 02:59 PM
It's not necessarily the city workers fault but rather the city itself. The workers can only perform the work when a work order has been put in, and that all depends on where the issue is on the city's priority list. People can sit there and blame it on the frost and weather conditions, which of course they are right, but look at other cities.

I think it leaves a horrible impression on motorists visiting the city when they drive down the main throughway for uptown. (Union St.) what a mess. Or how about going across the bridge and up the hill on Garden St. These a major traffic areas in the city and they are left to deteriorate. Somebody please tell me where our tax dollars are going in this city. A couple of fire trucks, some buses, and some road side cleanup and all the money is gone?