PDA

View Full Version : LF opinions on gift-giving at work

trinity
12-19-2006, 05:49 PM
Ok, my dilemna is this: Every year at work our boss (whoever it might be that year) always gives us gift certificates-Sobeys and/or Tim Hortons. Each boss is different in their levels of generosity. One gave us Sobeys AND 20$ Tim hortons, the next one Sobeys and $10 T H and last year I think it was just Sobeys. This year? Nothing. My problem is that I already got my boss a small gift but now I feel awkward about it because she gave us all nothing. I know she is not obligated to give the staff anything, and other years I have not given anything in return, I have not particularly given it any thought until this year. I haven't disliked any of them, I just have not given a gift. So my question is: do I give the gift and risk making her feel super uncomfortable since no one else on staff got her one, or do I keep it for myself? (its nothing big, one of those bread mix in a pottery bowl kit). I have given a few other people at work small gifts, mostly just some candy or chocolates taped to a Christmas card, costing about a dollar each.

Nail
12-19-2006, 06:08 PM
Always give with a cheerful heart or don't give at all.

Mandi
12-19-2006, 07:07 PM
If you're questioning it. don't give it to her.

The_Dave
12-19-2006, 07:16 PM
Bake it and bring it to work for everyone

Vix
12-19-2006, 07:25 PM
Just my opinion but I think you should give it to her, you may regret it afterwards if you don't. The fact that you thought of her in the first place shows what a careing person you really are. You'll feel so much better if you do. Good luck and Merry Christmas!!!!

Vix

toodles
12-19-2006, 09:16 PM
I have to agree with vix!!! merry christmas to everyone!!

Chinna Dah
12-19-2006, 09:33 PM
I gave my supervisor a gift and i do not expect one back.

If I were in your shoes I would still give it to her.

Trey
12-20-2006, 12:10 AM
Yeah as a team at work we collected money for a gift for our supervisor and all we expected was a thank you.

For the record we got our thank you and we were all happy about it.

trinity
12-20-2006, 09:23 AM
My only problem is it would be from "just me". Or maybe I could try to get a dollar or two from one or two coworkers and that way it would be like a group gift? I mean, it cost $10.22 taxes in.