PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions please

MissMem
04-19-2007, 01:27 PM
I have an 8 year old cat who cries all night long. He can't quite meow so its like a long whining/mewing sound all night long. I can sleep through it but my mom can't and she's getting really frustrated. Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep him calm and quiet for at least most of the night? Thanks in advance.

AaRdVark
04-19-2007, 02:20 PM
let him out

MissMem
04-19-2007, 02:27 PM
He's an indoor cat.

adorabull
04-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Cats are nocturnal (unfortunatly) try to keep him busy in the day??? thats kind of a hard one..good luck on that :confused:

MrsBeasley
04-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Has he always done this or is it something new?

MissMem
04-19-2007, 03:54 PM
He's always kind of done it but never to this extent...now its like every night and will do it off and on all night. He does it through the days sometimes as well, but like I said, its every night and wakes my mom up a lot. We took him to the vet a long time ago when he lost weight and was doing it but all the tests came back negative...she just basically said our cat was depressed. He's gone through a number of changes in the last 3 years, from a move to a new house to my father dying and my sister moving away for school so we thought it might have something to do with that, but we really don't know how to stop it. We call him and he'll come and he'll stop for a bit, but will just start again later on.

MrsBeasley
04-19-2007, 04:07 PM
Is he neutered?

MissMem
04-19-2007, 04:43 PM
yup

adm
04-19-2007, 04:52 PM
I was legally separated last fall and my ex took one of the cats with him. My old girl turned really nasty and "yelled" a lot. I got her a kitten and she's back to her old self. My old girl will be 10 this summer - have you thought of getting your cat a kitten?

MrsBeasley
04-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Is he doing anything else out of the ordinary? eating/drinking? urinating/BM's? Vomiting? Any other behavior changes? Has anything about the household changed (i.e. new furniture/people moved in, anyone move out)?

Cat's are notorious for hiding illness until they get to the point that they require medical attention, therefore we have to rely on changes in behavior a lot in getting to the bottom of things as well as running diagnostic tests.

MissMem
04-19-2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks guys. We have 2 other cats, so I don't think he's lonely. We have been renovating the basement though, so maybe that might have something to do with it, since 4 rooms are all upset at the moment. I just don't know how to comfort him (i don't know if its the right word) enough to get him to settle down.

harbourchick07
04-19-2007, 07:28 PM
my two male cats do that to, but their not nutarted and are out doors cats as well. But i know how annoying it is. Usually when one male goes out the other comes in. One sleeps in my bed with me so i know he is sleeping, i am hoping it will stop after i get them fixed.