PDA

View Full Version : Customer Service

rhiley_08j
04-18-2007, 11:15 AM
What has happened to business' today? Is it just me or has customer service gone down the tubes? What happened to the old addage "the customer is always right" ?(within limits) It appears to be few and far between that you can find a store that actually leaves you with that "wow, they really do care about my business" feeling.

One place I notice this lacking more than anywhere else is in the fast food,(coffee) industry. Would it kill these people to give you a smile, some eye contact, and use a please or thank you, or your welcome? And yet these same people expect that you should give them a tip, or automatically assume that they can keep a tip. Hello, isn't a tip something that you are supposed to earn because you provided exceptional service? What is going on these days? Do people really think that this is exceptable? I work hard for my money. Why should I so freely pass it over if it's going to leave a sour taste in my mouth?

kaj27
04-18-2007, 11:21 AM
What about the adage "You get what you pay for."

You can't walk into a fast food joint and pay $4.99 and expect table side service. They hire cheap, train cheap and run cheap so it's cheap. Same goes for the local "Coffee" places. They pay minimum wage for a reason.

Sure some people like their jobs, But seriously are you going to jump through hoops for customers for $7 an hour? Or whatever it min. is now.

I am agreeing with you though, You do go to some places that should offer a bit more customer service and you get attitude *Cough* TD Canada Trust *Cough*

rhiley_08j
04-18-2007, 11:29 AM
I don't really agree with you, sorry. I don't think that any business should develop the attitude that "you get what you pay for". And I think that any business owner that allows their employees to display that kind of attitude should not be in business. If a job that requires customer service creates a difficulty for a person to maintain that type of demeanor than they should not work in that environment. When I walk into my local corner store I am treated friendly whether I am spending a $1 or $50, and that's the way it should be.

kaj27
04-18-2007, 11:40 AM
I never said the business has the saying.

But I now know the kind of person you are. You expect an employee to kiss your shoes if you give them $1.

Good to know.

SaskSask
04-18-2007, 11:53 AM
I had an experience With Bell Expressvu last fall. It was a nightmare. 3 times they came to install the dish and 3 times they couldn't do it (after I told them they need a 30-40ft ladder, the first call). After each failed attempt I would have to wait another week for them to try again (:
To add on top of that..a couple of times the installer did not even show the scheduled day (which I sat around the house waiting). If he (the installer) can't make it...thats ok with me...just call and let me know at least.
Lol try getting any service from the Bell call center...they give you first name and employee number....but they won't put you through to those people you dealt with...if you have called back. Try to escalate the problem..they won't let you talk to a manager..without a stink. Then when you get to a manager.....they won't do anything for you either. The manager is as far as you can go. I also tried calling Bell head office....7 months later and they still have not returned my call. After I was promised someone would call me back.

My favorite is at a restaurant...how was your meal (question)? Well the steak wasn't cooked the way I requested it....to which the reply is....oh!
And then you get the bill! lol TVM come again.

kaj27
04-18-2007, 11:57 AM
My favorite is at a restaurant...how was your meal (question)? Well the steak wasn't cooked the way I requested it....to which the reply is....oh!
And then you get the bill! lol TVM come again.

I've had that happen. I just mention it again.

murraydow
04-18-2007, 12:46 PM
We are becoming Americanized all to fast....It was bound to happen sooner or later. That does not mean I like it and accept it.
I try to approach sales clerks with a smile and a hello. If I don't see it
returned I usually make a comment like;
"I GUESS YOU HAVE TO PAY EXTRA FOR POLITE SERVICE."
As for the coffee girls.....they all work hard....all of them...and for minimum wage.....I never leave less than a quarter tip for my coffee....and shame on those who don't.
I would like to see some of the complainers do the job that they do!

rhiley_08j
04-18-2007, 12:53 PM
I never said the business has the saying.

But I now know the kind of person you are. You expect an employee to kiss your shoes if you give them $1.

Good to know.

I don't expect them to kiss my shoes, but what I do expect is common decency and respect for the fact that I could take my business elsewhere but choose to do business with them. Appreciate the fact that I, as well as other consumers, are keeping their business in operation and providing them with employment.

Smash
04-18-2007, 02:07 PM
I have to agree, how hard is it to smile and say please and thank you. I believe that I learned those basics way back when I was a toddler. Apparently some people have forgotten those words. There is nothing worse than ordering a coffee, bagel whatever..... and saying thank you when they hand it to you and have the window slam down instead of taking the time to say your welcome.... There are some people that are meant for customer service, and others should really be hidden away somewhere. I deal with the public everyday in an office setting and I could NEVER imagine not smiling at someone or saying please and thank you. And I sure as heck dont get tips if I do.
My son works at a fast food restaurant and he doesnt get tips and he works every bit as hard as the people at our local coffee shops.
I do not tip if the service is not good, and if the server assumes that my change is their tip, I ask for it back!!!
If I had a dollar for every time I went through a drive thru at lunch time and got back to work to realize that I have the wrong order, I could buy everyone here a coffee. Its not rocket science its a damn bagel!!!!

As for the coffee girls.....they all work hard....all of them...and for minimum wage.....I never leave less than a quarter tip for my coffee....and shame on those who don't.

Shame on the ones that are not polite. I tip only if they deserve it!

care1978
04-18-2007, 02:20 PM
which franchise is it that the moto is "you get a smile or your meal is free"?
i think it may be McDonald's(not sure) anywho! if that is the case i have been entitled to many free meals and havent gotten them ;)
seriously though, everybody has their good days and their bad days, and sometimes if someone is in a really bad mood, you could blow sunshine up their ass and tey still wouldnt smile! lol
the way i look at it, is if you smile at them and they smile back, then good for you,obviously your smile is contagious ;)
if they don't smile back.... well those people obviously have eye-sight problems if they cant recognize genuine friendliness when they see it, so never mind them.
that's just my theory.

kaj27
04-18-2007, 03:20 PM
which franchise is it that the moto is "you get a smile or your meal is free"?
i think it may be McDonald's(not sure) anywho! if that is the case i have been entitled to many free meals and havent gotten them ;)

No one has that motto.

It is hard to smile when someone just ripped you a new one because they are having a bad day. Seriously. You people may be caring and nice but, when someone spazs because it took 13 extra seconds to get a coffee or burger they flip the coop. Why? Who knows maybe their parents abused them. But A LOT of people seem to think the customer service workers are their punching bags.

That has to stop above all else.

And yes some people are just in it for the pay cheque. Doing "Their Time" until they pay off something or finish school.

blondie04
04-18-2007, 03:46 PM
My boyfriend refuses to tip anyone at that local "coffee" place! lol..:) Every single time we've gone through the drive thru there, they never smile, they never look at us, nor do they say have a nice day, Nothing! I mean it could just be the one we go to everyday! so i can't really speak for any other! but its definitly not good customer service! At least smile, thats all we ask for, or acknowledge that we are there and paying customers...

rhiley_08j
04-18-2007, 03:55 PM

care1978
04-18-2007, 03:56 PM
No one has that motto.

It is hard to smile when someone just ripped you a new one because they are having a bad day. Seriously. You people may be caring and nice but, when someone spazs because it took 13 extra seconds to get a coffee or burger they flip the coop. Why? Who knows maybe their parents abused them. But A LOT of people seem to think the customer service workers are their punching bags.

That has to stop above all else.

And yes some people are just in it for the pay cheque. Doing "Their Time" until they pay off something or finish school.
well someone did have that motto at some point, bc i remember my friends and i used to make fun of the drive through staff if they didnt smile... but that doesnt matter anyway, i was making a funny, or trying to anyhow.
i have worked in the food service industry before, so i hope you arent putting me in to the "you people" category... which by the way i was wondering what exactly do you mean by.. "you people" i wasnt aware that there was a special type i always thought that there were just people in general.
have a great day :)

rhiley_08j
04-18-2007, 04:04 PM
Sure some people like their jobs, But seriously are you going to jump through hoops for customers for $7 an hour? Or whatever it min. is now.

It shouldn't matter whether you are getting paid $7/hr or $100/hr. If you job requires certain aspects from you than you should maintain them or you should be let go. Plain and simple. A minimum wage job is an excellent way to create a good work ethic, and an appreciation for a hard earned dollar.

care1978
04-18-2007, 04:10 PM
like i said before, everybody has their fair share of bad days, but their behaviour reflects on the company they work for. it shouldnt matter how much the person gets paid, it is called having good customer service skills, and im positive every job requires them.

rhiley_08j
04-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Something else that bothers me about these "coffee shops" is something that most of you are not aware of, but my wife used to work at one and she knows all the scams. Next time you order a coffee, if it's at a drive-thru that displays your order, check to see if it even came up on the screen. Alot of times it won't, because they don't bother to ring it into the computer, they pocket it with their tips. Seriously. This one in particular that I go through does it all the time. When you pull up to the window the cash drawer is always open, and there is a pile of tip money on the counter, which the clerk at the window is more concerned with counting, than paying attention to you or whether or not your order is right. Trust me, watch for it!

kaj27
04-18-2007, 04:25 PM
like i said before, everybody has their fair share of bad days, but their behaviour reflects on the company they work for. it shouldnt matter how much the person gets paid, it is called having good customer service skills, and im positive every job requires them.

Yes everyone has a bad day. Who's to say they aren't having one when you got served?

It does matter how much someone gets paid. I'm not so apt to take someones crap for $7 bucks an hour as to say $15 or $30.

You can make more money on Social Assistance than making minimum wage. Especially since most employers do the Part Time thing to no end.

friskeywhiskey
04-18-2007, 04:30 PM
poor customer service is just a sign of the times right now there are plenty of jobs and not enough workers going around whether it be from an increase in available jobs or increase in people leaving the province either way companies are having a hard time getting workers and an even harder time getting compentent workers
back in the early 90's when there were few jobs and many potential workers if a person did not perform their job properly then would simply be let go as there were several people that would be there the next day to work
nowadays employers can not do this because it is very hard to find employees so if they were to let go of people that easily then there would simply be noone to work

care1978
04-18-2007, 04:42 PM
[quote=kaj27;83670]

It does matter how much someone gets paid. I'm not so apt to take someones crap for $7 bucks an hour as to say $15 or $30.

quote]
so you are saying that if you owned... lets say... a Tim Horton's would you be ok with your staff greeting customers with an unpleasant demeanor just because they are only getting paid minimum wage? probably not, because then that would reflect on not only the company, but you as well, because you would be their employer. just a thought.....
i know i wouldn't want my staff being unpleasant with my customers, there is a time and a place for being in a bad mood, and it isnt while people are in the middle of sering the public.
that being said... i dont agree with customers flipping out at the server because the order is wrong, alot of the time it is someone else ringing it in and the person serving is someone totally different, so they are just going by whatever the person who took the order typed into the computer. i always check my order before i leave the drive thru just to make sure. i have been on the receiving end of angry customers before, and it does suck, so i guess what im trying to say is.... i see both sides. both customer,and staff's

rhiley_08j
04-18-2007, 04:56 PM
poor customer service is just a sign of the times right now there are plenty of jobs and not enough workers going around whether it be from an increase in available jobs or increase in people leaving the province either way companies are having a hard time getting workers and an even harder time getting compentent workers
back in the early 90's when there were few jobs and many potential workers if a person did not perform their job properly then would simply be let go as there were several people that would be there the next day to work
nowadays employers can not do this because it is very hard to find employees so if they were to let go of people that easily then there would simply be noone to work

I am so glad someone has said this. Where in the world is all this work but not enough people to fill the jobs. I am in a skilled trade, which is supposedly where there is a shortage of workers, and yet there is quite a lot of guys out of work. I worked for one of the largest employers in this city and in the last 6 weeks, they have had 6 layoffs. But yet they say there is all kinds of work, where? Somebody please tell me where? Maybe I should start a new thread about this.

murraydow
04-18-2007, 05:35 PM
How many of you that refuse to tip because the server doesn't smile at you
forget to say please and thank you when you place your order.
Pleasant smiles and attitudes go both ways.
I worked retail for many years and it seems that more and more people
come to the stores with the attitude that the staff are there to be their
servant.
Just because they are working to serve customers does not mean that they are to be disrespected and talked down to.
They are people trying to scrape out a living and go home to their families and do not deserve the abuse they receive several times during their shift.
They also are forced to work seven days a week now.
Try treating them like you would like to be treated and see how differently
things turn out.

rhiley_08j
04-18-2007, 05:47 PM
servant.
Just because they are working to serve customers does not mean that they are to be disrespected and talked down to.
They are people trying to scrape out a living and go home to their families and do not deserve the abuse they receive several times during their shift.
things turn out.

I agree with you no-one should be belittled or degrated. However, at the same time no matter where you work you have to put up with jerks or bird-dogging supervisors, but you put on a happy face and you do your job. That's what you get the paycheck for.

ceg
04-18-2007, 06:27 PM
I worked at Sears for 2 and a 1/2 years, in that time I was treated like dirt by customers. Just because I worked retail they seemed to have the idea that I was unworthy of respect. After dealing with that everyday you get tired or pretending to be happy and pretending you like your job.

A lot of people have unrealistic expectations of how they should be treated. I've actually seen people who thought they could butt in front of 10 people waiting for service. Do you think I would stand there and be nice about it? Hell no, I told them to wait their turn. I've had people tell me off for following company policy and watched a woman threaten to 'get' our store manager over a broken pair of $8 shoes where she was in the wrong, and he was nice enough to do the exchange anyways.

I'm sorry but being able to spend money doesn't make you deserve respect. You have to earn it. These employees would probably smile if people would stop being rude constantly and feeling that they can make any comments they want because they are the 'customer'. Guess what? I'm a customer too and I would never come to your work place and tell you you're stupid or that you obviously don't know how to do your job cause I'm not getting what I want.

It's about equal respect. People feel that they 'deserve' sooo much for doing jack. The fact is, you USED to get better service because people USED to be nicer.

rhiley_08j
04-18-2007, 06:33 PM
I worked at Sears for 2 and a 1/2 years, in that time I was treated like dirt by customers. Just because I worked retail they seemed to have the idea that I was unworthy of respect. After dealing with that everyday you get tired or pretending to be happy and pretending you like your job.

A lot of people have unrealistic expectations of how they should be treated. I've actually seen people who thought they could butt in front of 10 people waiting for service. Do you think I would stand there and be nice about it? Hell no, I told them to wait their turn. I've had people tell me off for following company policy and watched a woman threaten to 'get' our store manager over a broken pair of $8 shoes where she was in the wrong, and he was nice enough to do the exchange anyways.

I'm sorry but being able to spend money doesn't make you deserve respect. You have to earn it. These employees would probably smile if people would stop being rude constantly and feeling that they can make any comments they want because they are the 'customer'. Guess what? I'm a customer too and I would never come to your work place and tell you you're stupid or that you obviously don't know how to do your job cause I'm not getting what I want.

It's about equal respect. People feel that they 'deserve' sooo much for doing jack. The fact is, you USED to get better service because people USED to be nicer.

So basically what your saying is that if you are rude and ignorrant to me than that makes it my perogative to be rude and ignorrant to everyone I come in contact with after you?

ceg
04-18-2007, 06:44 PM
So basically what your saying is that if you are rude and ignorrant to me than that makes it my perogative to be rude and ignorrant to everyone I come in contact with after you? Not exactly but it's a cycle. Someone is nasty to you at work, you go to a store in a bad mood and aren't so nice to the staff there, that puts them in a bad mood and so on. I've been there. I've had many good moods at work killed by someone being negative to me.

I believe in being nice to customers when you greet them, but if the first thing I get is attitude I'm not going to be too willing to keep talking to that person or at least not being as nice as I can be.

People don't seem to realize that it's not just the attitude of the employees that's changed, everyones has. Everyone seems to think they can take their problems out on anyone, and gee, why not some kid in a mall store? I've been told off for things that had nothing to do with my job or even where I worked. It wasn't always like that, when I first started at Sears I rarely ran into upset or 'irate' customers but people have just gotten so negative over the years and I don't know why. From an employees point of view we feel like nothing is ever good enough, we can't do anything right, that the customer wants the world. How are we supposed to feel positive about that when customers walk in with a negative opinion about us before even meeting us?

Even though we get paid to be in customer service it doesn't mean we can always keep that fake smile slapped on. We're human too, we're not always happy, we can't always hide our emotions.

dittydottie
04-18-2007, 07:16 PM
I have a saying that I use alot:"I treat people just like I want to be treated!"
If they are not smiling I say something to try to get a smile from them or at least get them talking.

sarahnb
04-18-2007, 08:19 PM
How about realizing that you have no idea what is going on in someone's personal life? Who knows what they are going through. They may not be the cheeriest person you come across today but there's likely a reason. Try this out: http://www.helpothers.org/cards.php
It might make someone's day.

Now if you want to complian about customer service or the lack of it, complain about the people who are just plain ignorant and ignore customers by yapping on the phone to their friends.

Mandi
04-18-2007, 08:36 PM
What about the adage "You get what you pay for."

You can't walk into a fast food joint and pay $4.99 and expect table side service. They hire cheap, train cheap and run cheap so it's cheap. Same goes for the local "Coffee" places. They pay minimum wage for a reason.

I am agreeing with you though, You do go to some places that should offer a bit more customer service and you get attitude *Cough* TD Canada Trust *Cough*
Um... yes.
I use to work at a convienience store for practically free as a favor for the owner/ my mother. I was a very polite 'employee' it's called common courtesy.

Mandi
04-18-2007, 08:53 PM
I have a saying that I use alot:"I treat people just like I want to be treated!"
If they are not smiling I say something to try to get a smile from them or at least get them talking.

Perfect! and how hard is that? not at all. I don't understand why anyone 'takes' their bad mood out on people they don't even know, or people who are at work. I got my phone bill, (that is paid On time, every month) today, and it said it was 400 some odd dollars. Was I upset? Damn right! but I called, and it's not the girl I was talking to who made the error, we were charged for a mode m because of a misunderstanding, ( I switched my home phone, and kept my internet, but they disconnected the internet, reconnected it and I was billed for the modem.) She fixed it and all was hunky dorry. There's no reason to be rude. No reason to be anything but pleasant. I don't care how bad your day is going. I'm not going to be rude to you, so you better not be rude to me.

rhiley_08j
04-18-2007, 08:56 PM
Did anyone ever think that the reason that consumers are fed up with customer service is that they have been constantly faced with non-chalant attitudes by representatives that have no concept of what true customer service is? I am always polite towards others until they give me a reason not to be. Bottom line, and anyone with a marketing background will tell you is that a business centers around the consumer and when a business or it's employees stray from this thinking is when they begin to fail. In a sense when it comes to customer service, the consumer is the client, and each client needs to be treated on an individual basis. If I get in an argument with my wife and than go to a meeting and take my problems out on my client, I can gaurantee that I won't have that client for long.

raveneffect
04-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Customer service is definitely something to think about. I just got of that industry and I'm very happy not doing it anymore. You have your customers who are awesome and there are some that make you want to walk away. When you work for a company who pays squat, sometimes you get what you pay for. I'm not going to bend over backwards for someone who treats you like crap. You bear it sometimes but I'd say 95% of the customers I dealt with were great and the other 5% should stay home and not come in at all. I'm not disgruntled or anything like that. I'm telling it like it is. You try and can take only so much before you decide it's time to move on. If they also paid better then maybe those 5% would get better service. Some customers enjoy taking it out on you just cause they are having a bad day and want someone to pick at. Leave it home I'd say. I don't get paid to listen to you rag on me cause you don't like a price or cause the boss cursed you out at work. That's why some places have such a big turnover rate, it's because of jerks like you who have nothing better to do. I agree that some employees can be rude but not all are bad. Maybe a customer pissed them off and they are trying to be nice so it's 50/50 at times. All I'm saying is that you get put in their shoes for a day and see how you feel when you go home at night and to those who have experienced it, cudos to you. You know where I'm coming from.

Lemme_LQQK
04-19-2007, 01:37 AM
What has happened to business' today? Is it just me or has customer service gone down the tubes? What happened to the old addage "the customer is always right" ?(within limits) It appears to be few and far between that you can find a store that actually leaves you with that "wow, they really do care about my business" feeling.

One place I notice this lacking more than anywhere else is in the fast food,(coffee) industry. Would it kill these people to give you a smile, some eye contact, and use a please or thank you, or your welcome? And yet these same people expect that you should give them a tip, or automatically assume that they can keep a tip. Hello, isn't a tip something that you are supposed to earn because you provided exceptional service? What is going on these days? Do people really think that this is exceptable? I work hard for my money. Why should I so freely pass it over if it's going to leave a sour taste in my mouth?

I think it's call T.H. ..lol That would be where you're getting the sour taste from...lol

Smash
04-19-2007, 06:48 AM
servant.
things turn out.

I ALWAYS say please and thank you, it is something that I was taught way back and have never forgotten. Its the same as saying excuse me when you burp or covering your mouth when you cough. It should be second nature to all. Why is it so hard for people to remember to be courteous. I do understand that they have probably had grouchy customers, but I am not one of them and I dont appreciate being treated like sh#$ because of the person before me. Please dont make excuses for people who cant say "please and thank you", that is one of the first things that (most) people teach their kids when they start to talk. Would you burp in someones face and not say excuse me???? Come on!

Mandi
04-19-2007, 06:58 AM
Would you burp in someones face and not say excuse me???? Come on!
Would you burp in someone's face to begin with? Not likely ( I hope! ) But I see what you mean. I don't understand the lack of good manners around lately.

vanessalynn5484
04-19-2007, 07:14 AM
It's a viscious cycle I think. Working minimium wage is stressull unless you are young with little financial burden (and no children) or you are a student with little financial burden. Think about the hardships that they must face making ends meet. I imagine it could make you not like your job very much when you are putting in so much and getting back so little.

I have worked retail, I was a computer sales person out of high school where I did make above minimum wage starting out, I was very lucky. I left that job for a call centre and then picked up a second job at a clothing store for 6 something an hour. I worked harder than any of my other jobs as most of the staff were students and I was one of the only ones who actually took it seriously enough. I always gave excellent customer service because that was what I was getting paid to do. There were people that were rude and pushy, but you have to let it slide and realize that this is just another blip on their day. They are not going to obsess about me being upset about them being rude so I am not going to obsess. The ruder a customer was the nicer I would be. Killing with kindness always worked well and they usually ended up feeling silly.

Smash
04-19-2007, 07:19 AM
Would you burp in someone's face to begin with? Not likely ( I hope! ) But I see what you mean. I don't understand the lack of good manners around lately.

No, I promise I wouldnt! :rofl:

LiLLY
04-19-2007, 07:39 AM
I work a minimum wage customer service job that I hate, but I am always friendly and polite to customers, even the ones who are a holes! I have to say every time i go into the local coffee shops one in particular in mcallister place there is a woman whop is never friendly never smiles, when she gives back change i practically have to reach over the counter to get it out of her hand. As for people having a bad day in their personal lives,may sound mean but thats not my problem I have bad days at work all the time and I don't treat the customers like crap because I am having day!

Smash
04-19-2007, 08:01 AM
I work a minimum wage customer service job that I hate, but I am always friendly and polite to customers, even the ones who are a holes! I have to say every time i go into the local coffee shops one in particular in mcallister place there is a woman whop is never friendly never smiles, when she gives back change i practically have to reach over the counter to get it out of her hand. As for people having a bad day in their personal lives,may sound mean but thats not my problem I have bad days at work all the time and I don't treat the customers like crap because I am having day!

Thats great LiLLY, I thank you already and I dont even know where you work. LOL! Keep it up, most people do appreciate your kindness!

I dont expect to treat someone rudely and have them smile and kiss my a#@, but if I am friendly to them, smile, and say please and thank you, there is no reason why they cant be friendly back!

subaru2222
04-19-2007, 09:59 AM
We are becoming Americanized all to fast....It was bound to happen sooner or later. That does not mean I like it and accept it.
I try to approach sales clerks with a smile and a hello. If I don't see it
returned I usually make a comment like;
"I GUESS YOU HAVE TO PAY EXTRA FOR POLITE SERVICE."
I would like to see some of the complainers do the job that they do!

"Shame on those who don't" ???????

Am I missing something here is it the law to give a tip. And yes I tip but its not the law. OF course they work hard and so do I. If I get crappy service I don't have to leave a tip. Why is it everyone has to leave a tip at Tim's? Do you leave a tip at McDonald's, Wendy's, Subway, Burger king etc... No way. Do they work less hard them Tim's employees? No so why do Tim's get a tip and not the rest?

kaj27
04-19-2007, 10:00 AM
"Shame on those who don't" ???????

Am I missing something here is it the law to give a tip. And yes I tip but its not the law. OF course they work hard and so do I. If I get crappy service I don't have to leave a tip. Why is it everyone has to leave a tip at Tim's? Do you leave a tip at McDonald's, Wendy's, Subway, Burger king etc... No way. Do they work less hard them Tim's employees? No so why do Tim's get a tip and not the rest?

I've always wondered that.

T-Diddy
04-19-2007, 11:04 AM
By tipping at such places like Tim hortons, it allows the owner of the franchise to pay lower wages to the workers. Every time you tip at a drive through your helping the owner pay his employees what they should be making as an hourly wage anyways. Thats why when they are looking for employee's they always state "Plus Tips", because no body would fill the posititions if it was just for minimum wage. So the owners and shareholders keep getting richer, while the workers and the patrons keep falling further behind!

rhiley_08j
04-19-2007, 11:53 AM
So what should the government do than? Raise the minimum wage? It doesn't matter how high the minimum wage is, it will always be minimum wage. If these jobs, which require very little training and no experience necessary, where to pay more, what do you think is right? Do you think they should get paid just as much as someone who works a lot harder than them and with less responsibility?

These jobs are ideal for students, those entering the workforce, or those that are retired and looking to earn a little extra income. These types of jobs give you a taste of what it's like to make a hard earned dollar, gives you experience with dealing with all kinds of people effectively, and gives you the necessary training to prepare you for future employment.

The_Dave
04-19-2007, 12:04 PM
Yes, basic manners is all we ask, is that so hard, and what really bothers me is when you see employees at food places, touching their faces and noses with their hands and coughing in to their hands and then handling our food products. I worked in the fast food industry when I was in high school and I was trained not to transfer any germs to the customer's food in this fashion. I also question how many of us get colds and flus because of the fast food industry. Also it is not hard to be polite to the customer, I do not care what you make. This is called manners. I do not tip any more at Tims for this specific reason, they have come to expect tips for poor service. If you cannot be polite at your job you should quit. The businesses need to do more training wise to ensure us customers get the service that they pay for, no matter what the cost of the item or items or we may just become the competition's customer.

rhiley_08j
04-19-2007, 12:12 PM
Yeah there's always the other coffee outlet in town, even though it only has two locations. LOL

Smash
04-19-2007, 12:47 PM
Yes, basic manners is all we ask, is that so hard, and what really bothers me is when you see employees at food places, touching their faces and noses with their hands and coughing in to their hands and then handling our food products. I worked in the fast food industry when I was in high school and I was trained not to transfer any germs to the customer's food in this fashion. I also question how many of us get colds and flus because of the fast food industry. Also it is not hard to be polite to the customer, I do not care what you make. This is called manners. I do not tip any more at Tims for this specific reason, they have come to expect tips for poor service. If you cannot be polite at your job you should quit. The businesses need to do more training wise to ensure us customers get the service that they pay for, no matter what the cost of the item or items or we may just become the competition's customer.

Well said The_Dave!

vanessalynn5484
04-19-2007, 01:01 PM
I make the best instant coffee around, it is a recipe I have mastered. So most of the time, I make my own.

It's all about letting the coffee cool a bit before adding milk or cream and of course you need to ad love. And a shot of bailey's doesn't hurt.......jussst kiddin.:rofl:

MissMem
04-19-2007, 01:22 PM
I haven't read all the messages in this thread but I read most of them, so I'll apologize if I say something that may have been said already. I agree with many of the differing opinions about customer service. I expect decent customer service, just being polite means all the difference to me like most people, but I also have to agree that sometimes employees not being the friendliest doesn't simply reflect on their character. For instance, I worked at a small restaurant last summer where the owners were cheap, paid me minimum and I was the only waitress for the bar and restaurant on the top floor. There was a girl who worked the bottom floor bar and food service. I not only had to wait on tables, but I had to make/serve drinks, clean the place, and do dishes. I am in university and really needed the money so I stuck with it. On days when the place would book 2 parties, weddings, and still keep the restaurant open, I would have to run around like a chicken with its head cut off and people thought they weren't getting good customer service, which would make me angry because I would already be stressed out from doing everything on my own. I know on some days I did not have a smile on my face and may not have been the friendliest, but that was a reflection of the poor working conditions. I ended up walking out one day and not looking back because I couldn't take it anymore, but I wished sometimes that people would take a look around at the fact that I would be working a wedding and still had to wait on tables on the lower patio when the kitchen and everything was on the top floor, instead of just complaining about the poor/ slow service they were receiving. Sometimes people can only do so much. Now I find I'm less quick to judge people at stores/ restaurants, etc and take a look around at why the service is slow or poor, etc. I'm not trying to make excuses for bad services though, because yes some people just don't have manners. Thats just my .02.

The_Dave
04-19-2007, 02:55 PM
I LOVE coffee and Baileys vanessalynn5484, do you have a drive through. haha

rhiley_08j, here is a great saying that I have seen around for years. If you do not look after your customer, someone else would be more than happy to.

I also was not just talking about Tims, I was referring to all businesses,

SaskSask
04-19-2007, 03:43 PM
Hehe
Someone should talk about how potential customers should be treated as well.
I've heard about this guy that was sitting in a bank....dressed in the old dirty... been working around the house kind of clothes. The bank manager and staff didn't give him much attention, kinda snub'd him....and proceeded past him to a guy in a suit. Haha turns out that guy in the ratty looking clothes...was a plastic surgeon. Apparently he doesn't deal with that bank in anyway.

richunclepennywise
04-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Yeah there's always the other coffee outlet in town, even though it only has two locations. LOL

Irving has great coffee....and lots of locations

And the one I go to has friendly staff, who recognize me and always smile :D

Mandi
04-19-2007, 04:58 PM
Irving has great coffee....and lots of locations

And the one I go to has friendly staff, who recognize me and always smile :D

Irving staff is usually very friendly :D

vanessalynn5484
04-19-2007, 07:25 PM
I tell you what Dave, purchase something pretty from my store front for your beautiful lady and I will make you a free cup of coffee with your order. If I posted positive feedback for you do you think the feedback forum would break? lol jusssst kiddin.http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/vanessalynn548454/emoties/rotfl.gif

rhiley_08j
04-20-2007, 10:45 AM
Irving staff is usually very friendly :D

Irving prides itself on the "Irving Promise" and employees are told to uphold that promise or they will not be employed. That's the way I think it should be, I'll tell you what. (LOL, long live KOTH)

Mandi
04-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Irving prides itself on the "Irving Promise" and employees are told to uphold that promise or they will not be employed. That's the way I think it should be, I'll tell you what. (LOL, long live KOTH)
LOL! The only bathrooms in Maine that I have been to that aren't disgusting were the Irving ones, and the people look at you funny when you tip. She told me I left money on the table. I have only ever had one bad experience with an Irving employee. Even though it was REALLY bad, I still have a great respect for their work ethic and outlook as a company that people should be made to feel good about their piddly little $1 coffee purchase.

countesscurling
04-21-2007, 07:45 AM
I work retail as well and I am our customer service. Our store motto is : satisfy the customer. Do you know how hard that is sometimes.?? We do our best and I have smiled through gritted teeth, many of times.

It drives me insane when the person working the drive thru hands you your coffee without a single word, continues talking to their co-workers and doesn't even look at you, then KEEPS your change!!! I don't think so!

Rickster
04-22-2007, 12:35 AM
you can keep this going on forever but the botom line is ....You get what you pay for, and WHY does one look for a chance to complain about this when you expect 'Restaurant Service' from a take-out joint. Think about it ???!!! - Rick. ????

Mandi
04-22-2007, 08:17 AM
you can keep this going on forever but the botom line is ....You get what you pay for, and WHY does one look for a chance to complain about this when you expect 'Restaurant Service' from a take-out joint. Think about it ???!!! - Rick. ????
Oh no no no no....
When I go to get a coffee, I want good service, if I don't recieve it, you're not getting a tip. I shouldn't have to PAY for good service, so what, a $5 order gets me a smile, a $10 order gets me a thank you? I sure as heck do not think so!!!!

dittydottie
04-22-2007, 08:33 AM
The next time any of you are not getting out a smile from the person serving you just do this: Smile at them and say tommorrow will be a much better day. 9/10 times this gets them thinking and they will smile.

Smash
04-22-2007, 08:44 AM

I really think that you are missing the point that most people are trying to make... I dont think many people "expect" to be treated like royalty, but I do think that if you work in retail, you should be willing and able to say please and thank you, as well as put a smile on your face.... That is not asking much at all. Common courtesy is all it is. Its the same as people holding the door for the person behind them... It isnt rocket science, anybody can do it, and should be common sense!

And I would be damned if I am going to give someone a tip who couldnt take the time to say please and thank you, or even crack a smile for that matter.

mizunderstood
05-03-2007, 09:42 PM
care 1978 u were half right, it was mcdonalds but the motto was not you get a smile or your meal is free, it was on the board where the prices are and it said Smiles then for price it said free... The usless info u have from being a burger flipper for 4 years through university! lol.. Also As others have said tipping is not "the law" and u should not be looked down on cause u don't leave a tip... Tips are not supposed to be expected.. They are supposed to be a gift for a job well done.. And at the coffee place the girl (or guy) that waits on u doesnt even get that tip to them selves they have to split whatever money in tips is made throughout the whole shift with everyone else on that shift.. SO... for those of u that tip that coffee place server for service that was friendly remember you are also giving a tip to the unfriendly one as well... How come the other fast food restuarnats dont ever expect a tip?? They work just as hard if not harder than the coffee girls.. I remember working at mcd's and if people ever offered a tip (hardly ever happened) we were absolutly not allowed to take it...just my 2 cents... Oh yea and I worked at timmys for 2 years as well and the tips were greatly appreciated (most times made the difference in bills or rent or food money for the month) but i guarentee that I tried my best to be friendly and curteous to every customer that I served

Freudian
05-03-2007, 11:37 PM
re: Tipping

At establishments where tipping is expected, there are many ways the tips are distributed:

1. The waiter/waitress gets the tips they get
2. The wait staff all get a portion of the overall tips, based on the hours or # of tables worked per time-period.
3. Same as #2, but the cooking staff also get a portion of the tips, although a significantly smaller percentage than that of what the Waiter/Waitress gets.

I think that if #3 is the case, the servers and the cooking staff should get an equal portion. The reason I think that is because you need both types of staff to provide service to your customers. The wait staff take your orders and bring your food and cater to your desires. That's important and a front-line job. The cooks, on the other hand, actually prepare your food and without them, there would be no food for the wait staff to serve.

When I tip, its 75% because of how good the food was and 25% based on the quality of the wait staff.

I feel both jobs are very important, but ultimately, when I go out to eat, my main concern is to enjoy the food and the company I'm with and I could care much less about the performance of my waiter/waitress. That being said, if the wait-staff was really really bad, I will not tip.

It's a team :)

Cheers.

Andrew

mypooh
05-04-2007, 10:28 AM
I've worked in customer service my whole working career so far. One thing you're told from the get go is when you get to work any problems you have outside of work leave them at the door and pcik them back up again when you leave. In my working years 4 1/2 yrs of it was at Tim Horton's and as a Supervisor I corrected everyone who thought not to say your welcome at the speaker fro drive-thru, which was my domaine. I am no longer with Tim Horton's however still to this day if I go through drive-thru and they don't say your welcome at the speaker they don't get a tip. As for the tips there they are divided amongst store front and not bakery as bakery makes more then the store front staff. Any owner of Tim's that I've worked for will tell you that tips are a priviledge not a right and they can take them away at any given time. Which they have on some occasions.
I feel that ppl who deal with the public can't be polite and courteous to customers then you're in the wrong line of work...
So when they are smiling and being polite I tip :)
I know what they go through and it's hard but it's manageable....

rda123
05-08-2007, 05:55 PM
I have read through all the messages on this forum. I agree with some part, If someone is downright rude, and making you feel unwelcome in the store, or establishment, fine. Thats bad customer service, and you have the right to complain, i've had that happen to me, and its not a good feeling! But alot of times, you get what you give. I've worked in MANY retail jobs, food, clothing..etc and I think what alot of people don't understand is, If you have a problem with something, say it, but theres no need to make a big fuss. You think when you leave that store, after throwing a fit, complaining, and speaking to a manager, to voice your complaints even further, that your complaint will be taken seriously?.... I beg to differ. ALL of the places ive worked, people remember you, and people talk. Do you think the next time you come in, you'll be treated kindly? I dont think so. and you think managers/supervisors give a crap? In most cases they value their employees more than the customer who complains they can't get their $2.00 pair of socks on sale for .50 cents.
I've even had managers who get written complaints or emails from head office, of customers who have written in because someone wasnt smiling, or someone gave them back the wrong change, and rant and rant and rant. And the manager proceeds to show the employee's and laugh.
Like someone said, you have no idea what someone is going through, don't place judgment. If you had someone coming in to your job, yelling at you, wouldn't that make your spirits drop just a little? and of course thats going to affect your service towards the next customer.