PDA

View Full Version : Citizens For Responsible Government

rhiley_08j
04-17-2007, 08:22 AM
I'm sure that most of you have heard about this new committee, either in the paper or on the radio. When I first heard about it I thought... good for them, it's about time people stop complaining and actually do something about it. Finally, people in this city showing some initiative, and trying to take back the power for the people.

Something that really bothered me though is that because the people that started the committee don't want to be known publicly, they are being bashed for this, which is in turn taking attention away from what their whole purpose is. I can't say that I really blame them for not coming forward, look at the issues that they are taking on; city pensions, LNG tax deal, LNG pipeline, just to name a few. Some of these people that are on this committee probably work for the largest employer in this city, and if they are outspoken about their disagreements, you can almost gaurantee that they would be on the next layoff.

Democracy today is a farce. They say that we maintain control by who we vote in, but we all know that once they are in office they seem to forget the promises they made and follow their own agenda. It's about time that citizens speak up for themselves, and if they don't like something, fix it.

I think it is horrible that people have to hide their identities in order to speak out. Lancaster MLA Abel LeBlanc said "Anybody that's going to be on a committee, I'm telling you, in all honesty, youse are going to take the hit." Is it just me or does that sound like a threat? Thanks for proving the motive for remaining anonymous Abel.

yoyoyip
04-17-2007, 04:57 PM
I will pay this group no attention until the organizers come forward and we can see that there is no other agenda than what they are advertising.

At least Ivan Court and his brother had the gusto to do their group right when it came to the LNG situation.... That will be the only positive thing you'll ever see me say about them or their group... we'll leave it at that. :D

Come on! Show yourselves people and let's move past all this cloak and dagger crap!

oasis
04-17-2007, 05:26 PM
I agree. If they feel strongly enough to start this they should at least stand up and show themselves. They are afraid of the repercussions of what may happen if they are known, but they want you to stand up front and speak for them. Sounds a little fishy to me.

We do need people to let city hall know the general public isn't happy. They seem to think life is hunky dory, and a few nuts don't like them.

rhiley_08j
04-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Would any of you be willing to step into the limelight, knowing that if you did you could quite possibly be blacklisted from nearly every employer in this city, leaving you no means of sustaining a life that you are accustomed to? What would you do? You have to remember this is a very small city and word of mouth spreads very quickly.

vanessalynn5484
04-17-2007, 07:51 PM
it's me.

okay it's not, but I had you there for a minute didn't I?

yoyoyip
04-17-2007, 07:52 PM
Would any of you be willing to step into the limelight, knowing that if you did you could quite possibly be blacklisted from nearly every employer in this city, leaving you no means of sustaining a life that you are accustomed to? What would you do? You have to remember this is a very small city and word of mouth spreads very quickly.

Would I do it? Probably not... but I'm just a low man on the corporate totem pole... I doubt very much that these "concerned citizens" are... considering the size of the ad they put in the paper.

Now... all that being said, these guys don't seem to mind having others go out and take the flak for them... typical "leaders"

Mandi
04-17-2007, 07:53 PM
Way I see it, is if Spiderman wants to keep his identity a secret then it can't be a bad thing!
Seriously, (spiderman aside, although I have had a crush on his 'character' since I was like, 11) I really really don't see why it would be a bad thing to speak up with some anonymity. How could they have a hidden agenda? I don't understand that point. And if they're saying what you're thinking, who cares who it is?

rhiley_08j
04-17-2007, 07:57 PM
Would I do it? Probably not... but I'm just a low man on the corporate totem pole... I doubt very much that these "concerned citizens" are... considering the size of the ad they put in the paper.

Now... all that being said, these guys don't seem to mind having others go out and take the flak for them... typical "leaders"

That's the thing though they obviously are not leaders, but rather citizens that are concerned about the current state of things and want to see change. And in all honesty I don't think that it is a bunch of corporate big wigs behind it. The "big wigs" are happy the way things are. In fact the co-chair is actually a bus driver.

magoosmomma
04-18-2007, 07:32 AM
I will pay this group no attention until the organizers come forward and we can see that there is no other agenda than what they are advertising.

At least Ivan Court and his brother had the gusto to do their group right when it came to the LNG situation.... That will be the only positive thing you'll ever see me say about them or their group... we'll leave it at that. :D

Come on! Show yourselves people and let's move past all this cloak and dagger crap!

I agree!!!

vanessalynn5484
04-18-2007, 07:40 AM
Maybe it's a gimmick to be sure they have the spotlight. It's working -- and there is no such thing as bad publicity when what you need is media coverage and public interest.

The_Dave
04-18-2007, 09:08 AM
Its about time someone stood up to these CROOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am all for them, whoever they are.