PDA

View Full Version : Very Upset

vanessalynn5484
04-16-2007, 06:55 AM
I am very upset right now. My grandmother (who is like a mother to me and has basically raised me) went to the hospital last night violently ill. We thought she had that virus that has been going around and we were worried about her heart condition and being dehydrated. I thought it was not a huge big deal, I was worried and couldn't sleep last night, but I thought she would be home in the morning (My aunt took her to the hospital).

Well this morning I awoke to find out that worst may be true. She may be having a heart attack, but they are not sure and waiting for the cardiologist. She had open heart surgery when she was 65, the gave her 12 years to live then-well she is going on 89 now. You may be thinking that she is in her old age and that may make it easier, but it's not. She is a very young 89 and you wouldn't know she was a day over 70. The doctors are saying it may be angina and a bad virus, but they do not know for certain.

I have never been so worried, I love my grandmother more than anyone in the world (besides my babies). No one will ever love me like she does either. She is the sweetest, most pure of heart woman I have ever met and if I could be 1/10 of how strong and kind she is I would be proud.

Sorry for rambling I think I am in shock. Everyone is either at the hospital or at work so I am here with the kids and my tears by myself. I have a hard time picking up the phone and calling a friend because I can't stand anyone hearing me cry. So I thought-hey-why not vent on isaintjohn?

tred816
04-16-2007, 07:04 AM
:( (((((((((((((((vanessalynn))))))))))))))

So sorry. My prayers are with you.

I lost 3 out of 4 grandparents in the past five years and although we weren't as close as you and your gramma, it was difficult. 89 is a long life and I bet she accomplished a lot over the years.

What is she like? Would telling us about her be beneficial to you while you are waiting for news?

vanessalynn5484
04-16-2007, 07:15 AM
She is amazing. She is so stubborn and strong she puts me to shame sometimes! She insists on doing everyone's laundry (I make sure I carry the basket if it's too heavy, but even that makes her mad:p) and can not understand why I wouldn't leave my two kids for her to babysit! I would say "Nan, it's nothing personal, but they are just too much for you to handle on your own." She gets so mad at that lol, when the babysitter comes over my nanny does her best to make sure the babysitter does as little as possible. lol Stubborn!

She raised my mom, me, and now she is help raising my children in a way because she lives with us so she is always playing with them and singing to them. She also loves folding clothes. She believes keeping busy is what keeps her going. The kids will pull the clothes out of the basket on her and she will yell "Scram!" Trying not to crack a smile ofcourse.

The stories she has told me amaze me. She has seen the world change many times over in her lifetime as she was born in 1918 before cars, running water, radios, and modern medicine.

She is a #1 Toronto Maple Leaves Fan. She has a jersey with her name on it and never misses a game.

This has really helped, thank you for this.

vanessalynn5484
04-16-2007, 07:49 AM
Much better news! The cardiologist say my nan and she is not having a heart attack. The flu or virus she has brought on similar symptoms along with chest pain and tightness. I guess the virus was the reason for her high heart beat too (? I am not really sure all I really heard was that she was not having a heart attack and I felt like the weight of a million worlds lifted off my chest!!!)

So they are admitting her for now as she is still quite ill, but doing a lot better. She is feeling a lot better and although she I wasn't able to talk to her she wanted to make sure I was told that she said Not to worry and to calm down. She is sick and she is more concerned about me, that is just the kind of woman she is.

Phew....wow, I am so relieved to have good news.

vanessalynn5484
04-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Apparently they did find an irregularity with her heart rate or something like that (again I was only half listening) they are keeping her in for 3-4 days to run tests :(.

Angels2977
04-16-2007, 12:09 PM
Gald to here you nan is feeling better will be praying for her nancy

tred816
04-16-2007, 02:35 PM
oh dear, you sound like you're on a roller coaster of emotions. I hope everything works out ok and she gets better.

Your grandmother sounds like an amazing woman.

vanessalynn5484
04-17-2007, 12:58 AM
Oh Tred I was and still am I guess. I can't sleep tonight and I really wish I could as I will feel exhausted tomorrow. My bf fed the kids supper and put them to bed so I went to bed very early. I feel selfish in a way because instead of being upset about my fear of loosing her I should be strong for her as she is the one who is sick.

She reassured me that she was feeling much better and would be home soon. It was so lonely without her here, she is always here. I am trying to keep busy, but I can not seem to keep my attention on one thing and have like 5 things on the go (scrapbooking, trying to learn to knit, researching products, etc);)

My nanny has a very strong faith in God and never misses a Sunday at Church. If anyone deserves an angel to wacth over them it is her! I am sure the minister will call her or come to see her soon. He is a wonderful man, very friendly and warm. I am sure he will give her great comfort, but she is so strong and has such a faith in God I believe she will pull through. If anyone can live to 110 it's her!

Thank you Nancy and Tracy for your prayers as they are much appreciated.

tred816
04-17-2007, 08:50 AM
You're welcome vanessalynn. It's good that you have the support from your bf and you shouldn't feel guilty about how you feel. It's an honor to your nanna that you care as much as you do. You're worried and that's a sign of a good heart.

I really hope she's better today. Have you heard anything yet?

vanessalynn5484
04-17-2007, 10:35 AM
She is slowly getting better and everything is looking good so far. It's pretty lonely without her here again today, but there are lots of things I could be doing I suppose to keep my mind off things. Easier said than done as I kind of just feel like moping. I think it's the lack of sleep! :p

vanessalynn5484
04-18-2007, 08:06 PM
My nanny took an amazing turn for the better. In fact they sent her home tonight. I caught her trying to do this dishes I let pile up today:p. She is watching hockey now and relaxing lol.

I am very happy she is doing good. The doctors told her to take it easy, but she should be just fine.

lotssafun
04-18-2007, 08:41 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!! That is great news :)My nanny took an amazing turn for the better. In fact they sent her home tonight. I caught her trying to do this dishes I let pile up today:p. She is watching hockey now and relaxing lol.

I am very happy she is doing good. The doctors told her to take it easy, but she should be just fine.

mickeymouse
04-18-2007, 08:52 PM
Im glad to hear that she is much beter.

vanessalynn5484
04-18-2007, 11:30 PM
Thank you very much I am very happy too!!!:D

It is going to be hard to get her to take it easy I think. I was tidying my room and when I came out she was freaking wiping up one of the kid's high chairs!!:eek: (I was going to get to it eventually :S I had already cleaned it twice that day:p ). I hope she will sleep in tomorrow as she was up kind of late watching hockey. I told her to go to sleep and she was like "I just laid in bed for days!" So I didn't argue, it's just good to have her home. She is stubborn, but very wise and I think she does know her own limits.

KIT
04-19-2007, 12:57 AM
Hi vanessalyn,
I'm so glad to hear your Nan is feeling better. She sounds like a remarkable lady. I'll be sure to send up some prayers for her to be as good as new really soon!
Take care of yourself too, you may just need your strength to "hold her down"!!!
.....Kit