PDA

View Full Version : Kennel cough advice needed

corkyjim
04-14-2007, 07:08 AM
I have an 8 year old female Boxer that was just diagnosed with kennel cough. It's horrible! I have no idea how she contracted it as we don't board her anywhere and she's had no contact with any strange dogs, other than our 3 year old Boxer (who has shown no signs of it). She's coughing and hacking like you wouldn't believe. It's very scary and I'm worried sick about it because of her age. Hubby took her to the vet last night and they prescribed Cephalexin 500mg and Hycodan 5mg.She is supposed to take one of each pill every 12 hours for the next week. The vet gave us extra in case our 3 year old started showing signs of the virus. I was also speaking with one of the girls I work with (her dog contracted it last year) and she said the vet told her to give him Robitussin cough medicine and did not prescribe anything.
I realize that it might take a couple days for this medication to "kick in" and was wondering if anyone knew of anything I could give her to ease the coughing fits for some temporary relief (cough syrop,honey etc). Has anyone had this experience before? Any suggestions?
Thanks

christine chittick
04-14-2007, 07:42 AM
When I was in Ontario at a dog show a couple years ago and my boy contracted it from somewheres I am assuming at the show. I brought him in to my vet and he didn't prescribe anything. My boy wasn't coughing all that bad, but I don't know if kennel cough changes in severity. I had a shot for him once it cleared for kennel cough. Not sure of its effectiveness, or if they even still give it, but he did get one.

There's not really a whole lot that you can do other than give your dog the prescribed meds, and ride it out.

MrsBeasley
04-14-2007, 08:00 AM
I found you an interesting article that explains a lot about it:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_kennel_cough.html

Even though you don't board your dog, it can be contracted by visiting an area where an infected dog had recently been and released bacteria into the air through it's coughing.

That is why in suspected cases of kennel cough, we commonly recommend that you leave your dog in the car when coming for a vet visit until it is just about to be seen by the doctor to reduce the exposure to other patients. As well once your appointment is over the examination room is totally disinfected with javex from top to bottom.

babydoll101
04-14-2007, 08:57 AM
It is highly contagious. I had a Beagle growing up and he loved to run. One winter time someone picked him up and brought him to the ARL. We went to get him and when he got home we noticed this horrible hacking. We took him to the vet. When we got there, there were a couple of dogs in the waiting area. When they found out what he had they had to give the other dogs something too so they wouldn't catch it. It is an airborn illness. They do sound awful though when they have it.

corkyjim
04-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the helpful replies. The link was very helpful in understanding the virus. Actually, when we made the appointment for the vet, they told us to make sure to leave our girl in the car. Hubby waited for the office to clear out of any animals before he brought her inside.
Less than two weeks ago, we had both dogs out for a run in the field and there was another dog off-lead that approached her but there was no physical contact. I suspect she may have picked it up from that dog. Who knows...all I know is I really hope my little guy doesn't contract it from her. It breaks my heart to hear her coughing and hacking like that. Other than the coughing, she is eating well and her behaviour seems normal. I hope this clears up soon! :)
Thanks again!

adorabull
04-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the helpful replies. The link was very helpful in understanding the virus. Actually, when we made the appointment for the vet, they told us to make sure to leave our girl in the car. Hubby waited for the office to clear out of any animals before he brought her inside.
Less than two weeks ago, we had both dogs out for a run in the field and there was another dog off-lead that approached her but there was no physical contact. I suspect she may have picked it up from that dog. Who knows...all I know is I really hope my little guy doesn't contract it from her. It breaks my heart to hear her coughing and hacking like that. Other than the coughing, she is eating well and her behaviour seems normal. I hope this clears up soon! :)
Thanks again!

"Jack and Jill" buckleys cough syrup works well, but just one of those things you gotta wait out, and annoying I know! you can vacc your dog against it but one of those viruses kinda like getting the flu shot you still may end with it so many strains of the virus itslef.

good luck and sleepless nights :(

la5
04-16-2007, 11:11 AM
We also had a problem with kennal cough with our Beagle we gave her Robatussin Cough syrup at night one teaspoon and it helped her to calm down so she could sleep and the cough cleared up within a few weeks .We also had her to the vet and was prescribed with an antibiodic for 7 days .Good luck with your poor dog ,it is hard to hear them cough like that,they are very uncomfortable with the kennal cough .

corkyjim
04-17-2007, 05:22 AM
Well, the meds seem to be working. She slept through the night without having any coughing/hacking fits. The only thing that kept me awake was the darn wind and rain..lol.