PDA

View Full Version : Mommies (or Daddies) and sleep deprivation

vanessalynn5484
04-13-2007, 10:59 AM
I find lately my two children (almost 1 and 2) have not been sleeping well. They have been awakening at odd times wanting to play or be cuddled. I understand that they need their mommy, but I am starting to reel from the effects of sleep deprivation. I am cranky, have no appetite, no energy, and my friends are starting to feel like I've dropped off the face of the Earth.

Even when they are sleeping I am not sleeping well. I have learned to sleep lightly so I do not miss their cries and sometimes I have a very hard time falling into a restful sleep.

There is a reason why the army uses sleep deprivation to break it's new cadets:p

I had them on a pretty good schedule for a while. My youngest was sleeping through the night and I even had them napping at the same time, but lately it seems like their schedules have changed.

Anyone else experiences sleep deprivation due to a new baby, toddler, or older child for that matter? Any tips (besides sleep:P & coffee :P) that may help to reduce fatigue?

Thanks for listening,
Vanessa

harbourchick07
04-13-2007, 11:07 AM
The two children i baby sit (6 & 9 now) used to be like that when they were younger(4&7 or younger) and i would get them to do activites that would tucker them out, like playing hide and seek and so one, and when it got close to there bed time i would throw on a movie until they fell asleep when they wake up they dont even remember going to bed. its an old trick my mom used to do to me, they also used to take me out for drives.. the time i started waking my mom up at odd hours she got mad lol and for 2 or 3 days she let me stay up as long as i wanted and then i started going back to bed at my normal time lol. i hope this helps you a bit.

vanessalynn5484
04-13-2007, 11:22 AM
The two children i baby sit (6 & 9 now) used to be like that when they were younger(4&7 or younger) and i would get them to do activites that would tucker them out, like playing hide and seek and so one, and when it got close to there bed time i would throw on a movie until they fell asleep when they wake up they dont even remember going to bed. its an old trick my mom used to do to me, they also used to take me out for drives.. the time i started waking my mom up at odd hours she got mad lol and for 2 or 3 days she let me stay up as long as i wanted and then i started going back to bed at my normal time lol. i hope this helps you a bit.
I appreciate your advice, but it is not very helpful lol. I play with them nonstop all day long. My children sometimes are not interested in tv at all it just depends. They love Curious George and Elmo, but that doesn't mean it winds them down at all.

For example when the theme song for Curious George plays my youngest climbs on top of the table and dances what seems to be a semi-choreographed dance routine as he has "moves" he has now perfected. You should see him dance to Justin Timberlake, but he also enjoys moshing to Queens of the Stoneage.

When my kids are being very...curious..and getting into everything I put on music and we all dance lol.

I have a video of my oldest dancing to a Lionel Ritchie song in his santa suit and it is the cutest thing I have ever seen. He gets his little feet just a going...he has soul lol :p

Tara
04-13-2007, 11:26 AM
I don't have any advice but I am in the same boat. My daughter is 2 1/2 and doesnt sleep through the night :S I'm forever putting her back to bed...back to bed...back to bed...I'm just now getting her in her own bed as dad was bringing him to bed with him because he was so exhausted working midnights and then staying up pretty well all day and i was working evenings. anyway, I hyjacked your thread, sorry! LOL

vanessalynn5484
04-13-2007, 11:29 AM
I don't have any advice but I am in the same boat. My daughter is 2 1/2 and doesnt sleep through the night :S I'm forever putting her back to bed...back to bed...back to bed...I'm just now getting her in her own bed as dad was bringing him to bed with him because he was so exhausted working midnights and then staying up pretty well all day and i was working evenings. anyway, I hyjacked your thread, sorry! LOL
No, no that's what I wanted people to share their stories! If someone can post advice to help either one of us then the thread will serve it's purpose. No worries you can hyjack my threads anyways, I've done it once or twice and sometimes you just can't help it lol The keyboard has mystical powers....See? I need sleep!

wannabuy
04-13-2007, 11:52 AM
i had 4 kids in 6 yeasr!i know scary!they are now 4,5,9,10.the advice i have is sleep when ever they do.if they nap,you nap!i know its hard right now but it really does get easier sooner than you think!im only 28 but i feel 78 alot of days cause the little"monsters"still wear me out at times!good luck!

vanessalynn5484
04-13-2007, 11:55 AM
i had 4 kids in 6 yeasr!i know scary!they are now 4,5,9,10.the advice i have is sleep when ever they do.if they nap,you nap!i know its hard right now but it really does get easier sooner than you think!im only 28 but i feel 78 alot of days cause the little"monsters"still wear me out at times!good luck!
Thanks wow 4 kids :eek: I have a lot of respect for you *bow at your feet*. That is good advice and I have to try adjusting to their schedules...but lately when one sleeps one is awake and it's that cycle that is blowing my freakin mind- so to speak.

wannabuy
04-13-2007, 01:47 PM
like i said SLEEP lol.i learned that one quick!the way i look at it is,if momma isnt happy no one is happy!!relax whenever possible!

vanessalynn5484
04-13-2007, 01:49 PM
I like that, it's good advice.

It's so easy to put yourself last and then you realize you are going crazy before you realize what the problem is :p

Cherry Pop
04-13-2007, 07:57 PM
I feel your pain (or lack of sleep)! My daughter who is 9 years old, has changed her sleep patterns many times. When she was a baby until she was 4 years old, she slept through the night but at age 1, she gave up all naps! From age 4 to 7, she constantly got up after I put her to bed and wanted a drink, had to go to the bathroom, wanted the cat, etc, anything to put off going to bed. It was really frustrating. From about 7 to 9 (Now), she will lay awake in her bed until 12 am. She will sing and talk to herself, the cat, her dolls, the walls, whatever she can possibly talk to. I have found lately that if I try to keep a bed time regime such as bath time, snack time, story time, then I put her to bed a little later around 8:30-9:00 and let her have her light on for a half hour once she is in bed. Once the light goes out, she is usually a sleep within 20 min. This seems to work for us right now. I think some children just go through different stages where they don't want to sleep as much and it really is just a matter of experimenting to see what will help them go to sleep and stay asleep.

serialspell
04-13-2007, 08:17 PM
i am also in your boat, having an issue with my 2 and 4 year old not staying asleep, both wake up 2 or 3 times each until i get them to sleep, 1 has only 1 nap a day and the other has the energy of a nuclear plant but will not sleep well for some reason, the older one even has a nest beside my bed for when he sneaks in :)

harbourchick07
04-13-2007, 08:35 PM
aww that is cute he mad a little nest...lol at least hes not climbing in bed with you. i used to go and climb up the middle of my parents bed and they wouldnt know i was there until the morning, then i got to big and they always noticed me trying to do it, so i would take my pillow and blanket in their room and sleep on the floor. I mostly did it because i wanted my mom, but there room was always right dark. I still try and steal their bed today, but thats because my mom works nights and my dad sleeps in a chair.

Mandi
04-13-2007, 08:49 PM
My little one has been trying to cuddle in bed between me and my hubby for the past couple nights. Not sure why, she's usually pretty good at sleeping by herself. I let her sleep in bed with me last night, I was exhausted. Usually I would go tuck her back in , sing to her a bit and she would fall back to sleep. I was just too tired to last night. Then I woke up to her standing beside me this morning, looking out the window saying 'oh no mommy! the playground, it's broken! fix it!' I asked how it was broken and she said that snow was on it. she's a goof.

harbourchick07
04-13-2007, 09:10 PM
lol thats cute. i can picture that , just rolling over and seeing her looking there.

vanessalynn5484
04-13-2007, 09:57 PM
My little one has been trying to cuddle in bed between me and my hubby for the past couple nights. Not sure why, she's usually pretty good at sleeping by herself. I let her sleep in bed with me last night, I was exhausted. Usually I would go tuck her back in , sing to her a bit and she would fall back to sleep. I was just too tired to last night. Then I woke up to her standing beside me this morning, looking out the window saying 'oh no mommy! the playground, it's broken! fix it!' I asked how it was broken and she said that snow was on it. she's a goof.Awww that is cute. My kids are both still in cribs so they can't get out and into my room yet. My oldest will be moving to a big boy soon and honestly it's a little scary to think that he can get up and wander around if I don't hear him!
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/vanessalynn548454/emoties/thbaby.gif
I am the goof because I should be sleeping now, but I can't. Hey I think I just heard one of them starting to wake up on the monitor beside me here lol. I keep it turned up so high I hear their every movement.

Mandi
04-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Awww that is cute. My kids are both still in cribs so they can't get out and into my room yet. My oldest will be moving to a big boy soon and honestly it's a little scary to think that he can get up and wander around if I don't hear him!
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/vanessalynn548454/emoties/thbaby.gif
I am the goof because I should be sleeping now, but I can't. Hey I think I just heard one of them starting to wake up on the monitor beside me here lol. I keep it turned up so high I hear their every movement.

Lucky! mine has been able to get out of her crib since she was 14 months old. :( She's a scary little force to be reckoned with is for sure.
She's 3 and a half now, and very active, and possesive of mommy. Between her and the whole lovely pregnancy, I get little sleep, if it weren't poor my fiance, I would get none, he's a saint.

vanessalynn5484
04-13-2007, 10:11 PM
Lucky! mine has been able to get out of her crib since she was 14 months old. :( She's a scary little force to be reckoned with is for sure.
She's 3 and a half now, and very active, and possesive of mommy. Between her and the whole lovely pregnancy, I get little sleep, if it weren't poor my fiance, I would get none, he's a saint.It's very good he is there to support you and takes on responsibility. That is very important. I find the modern day father wants to be actively involved and is aware that the mother needs a break too. That's a good thing.

My sons are forces to reckoned with too. My oldest has tried to jump into his brothers crib and fell on the floor (he was clever enough to throw blankies and stuffed animals down so that it would break his fall). When he fell he was not hurt, but stunned. He is not a cry baby, but he just laid there for a moment and then started crying loudlyhttp://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/vanessalynn548454/emoties/th13.gif. I ran to him, ofcourse, and he was fine; not a scratch or a bruise- just terrified.

Since then he has never tried to jump out of his crib. I realize now I have to make the transition to toddler bed as he will be 2 and I shouldn't take the chance that he will be brave enough to try and escape. :eek:

He can do just about anything he puts his mind too, but he is very smart and knows what will hurt or how far he can push my buttons before "time outs".http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/vanessalynn548454/emoties/thninja.gif

vanessalynn5484
04-13-2007, 10:18 PM
Are there any vitamins, tea, or supplements (nothing scary or addictive please lol) that are known to help with fatigue? Has anyone tried such a thing and had it actually help?

Also I was thinking about trying this new type of yoga for stress relief that I think may help me be able to wind down faster and be more persevering with their changing schedules.

I know you are preggers Mandi and probably do not feel like doing yoga...actually if you try the spicy chicken & the yoga together it may help your little BOJ (bundle of joy)'s delayed appearance. LOL If your man comes home and catches you trying to pose on your head please do not tell him it was my idea--I claim no liability heheh.

wannabuy
04-13-2007, 10:34 PM
imreally lucky with my little terrors because they all sleep really good now.my 3 year old is the best though,after daddy leaves for work and her sisters and brother leave for school she climbs into my bed and says lets have our nap mommy,one episode of dora and then we sleep for a couple of hours!!!god love her!

Tara
04-14-2007, 06:04 AM
I woke up this morning to a chair at the kitchen sink which was full of water, and water all over my floor. This was of course my 2 year old...my son never did a darn thing if he was up before me, he would just play in his room if I wasn't already awake. And I mean I'm up at 6 am if not earlier. I think today...i shall jump off the roof, sounds good, lol

vanessalynn5484
04-14-2007, 06:31 AM
Everytime my son goes into the kitchen the first thing he tries to do is pull the chair up and get into the sink. I let him help me wash the dishes a couple time and now he doesn't want to stay away from the sink :p

tred816
04-14-2007, 07:14 AM
Hi VanessaLynn...just thought I'd suggest trying GINSENG. I use it and it's a great herbal supplement that I buy at GNC. I tried the pills, but can't swallow them (they kind of swell up as they disolve and choke me) so GNC is the only place I can find the liquid.

2 droppers per day in a bottle of pop or juice...even coffee if you sweeten it. It has a sweet flavor (not pleasant) but you can't taste it in something that's already sweet....

Anyway, I suffer from fatigue and have 2 older kids 9 and 11, they sleep fine, but GINSENG is a miracle to me. FYI...you won't notice it immediately, but you'll feel more energetic and motivated within 2-3 days of using it and you also really notice a difference if you stop taking it.

It isn't addictive...it works. It costs about $10-$13 depending on if you have the GNC card and a bottle lasts about a month depending on if you use it daily.

vanessalynn5484
04-14-2007, 08:11 AM
That is very good advice tred, I used to actually take the pills when I was a little younger and would do long runs nightly. I would take it with vitamin E to reduce muscle pain, but you are not supposed to supplement Vitamin E anymore I heard, is that true?*here I go off topic again*

MrsBeasley
04-14-2007, 08:12 AM
My little fella (21 Months) generally sleeps through the night well. I found though I wasn't getting a sound enough sleep when allowed, so I found thet by moving the monitor outside the room where I could still hear anything major but not every little twist and turn I got a much better sleep.

Lately though his schedule has been all screwed up and if he doesn't get to bed on time and gets overtired.....Forget it!!!!! Your fighting with trying to get him to sleep for quite awhile. And his newest trend....not wanting the door closed.

vanessalynn5484
04-14-2007, 04:24 PM
I got to sleep most of the day today. A short term solution, but an enjoyable one.:D

vanessalynn5484
04-14-2007, 04:29 PM
My little fella (21 Months) generally sleeps through the night well. I found though I wasn't getting a sound enough sleep when allowed, so I found thet by moving the monitor outside the room where I could still hear anything major but not every little twist and turn I got a much better sleep.This very good advice and I was thinking it in my head, but I really needed to hear (or read) someone say (or type) it.

All of these things go through my head when I think about doing it though... For example my oldest can ever so quietly remove him diaper in his crib when he is awake. He knows that if he is being "mischievous" he has a better chance of not getting in trouble by being quiet. I am going to begin potty training soon so that may solve that problem :p. I also worry he will try and escape again and hurt himself this time...He hasn't been brave enough to attempt to climb his crib again, but it may just be a matter of time! lol

ChelorSean
04-14-2007, 07:36 PM
I am going to begin potty training soon so that may solve that problem :p.
hey vanessalynn just a little tim-bit it is so much easier to train them when they are ready so just make sure your little guy is ready and you will be good to go.i'm not trying to be all pushy or anything please don't think that it's just that i actually just did it with my little one and omg it was so easy.good luck and stay positive.....:p so for the hijacking but i swore i would help any momma with training and i swear by waiting.have a nice night!

vanessalynn5484
04-14-2007, 09:39 PM
hey vanessalynn just a little tim-bit it is so much easier to train them when they are ready so just make sure your little guy is ready and you will be good to go.i'm not trying to be all pushy or anything please don't think that it's just that i actually just did it with my little one and omg it was so easy.good luck and stay positive.....:p so for the hijacking but i swore i would help any momma with training and i swear by waiting.have a nice night!Do not worry I didn't mind the threadjack. Thanks for the tips he does give small cues he may be ready...

I haven't even got a potty yet. The Fisher Price Royal Potty looks cute, but I am weary of any that plays music for fear of him getting up and dancing before he is finished his business:rolleyes: LOL :rofl:

ChelorSean
04-14-2007, 09:50 PM
lol well we have the winnie the pooh one and it flushes.its really cute!ummm but when buying one i would suggest you open it and check the little piece for boys because this one is not hollow and he has to be on it right or it hurts him.....best thing for cues is knowing him.my oldest just turned three in february and it only took me about 2 days with no pull up on in the day and then 2 nights he was staying dry in the pull up so i said lets try and it been a couple weeks now.good luck!

vanessalynn5484
04-15-2007, 04:35 PM
lol well we have the winnie the pooh one and it flushes.its really cute!ummm but when buying one i would suggest you open it and check the little piece for boys because this one is not hollow and he has to be on it right or it hurts him.....best thing for cues is knowing him.my oldest just turned three in february and it only took me about 2 days with no pull up on in the day and then 2 nights he was staying dry in the pull up so i said lets try and it been a couple weeks now.good luck! LOL a Winnie the "Pooh" Potty ...... A poo for pooh bear:rofl:

Yes my mind is gone enough (now that I have children) to find humor in poo puns. *sigh* nope I did not get much sleep last night and have drank about 6 -7 coffees :eek:. My fingers are shaking as I type, but it's all good. lol:rofl: