PDA

View Full Version : Computer question???

domarloc
04-12-2007, 04:34 PM
I am having a problem with my icons on my desktop disappearing and changing by themselves. Has anyone ever encountered this before? One day one icon is missing the next day it is there again but has the wrong picture on it and then it somehow fixes itself. I don't know alot about computers but I have done a virus scan and it has not helped. Any suggestions???

paak
04-12-2007, 05:20 PM
go to Start | Run and enter Regedit to launch the Registry Editor.

Navigate to the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer
In the right-hand pane, find or create the DWORD value MaxCachedIcons.To enlarge the cache size, double-click on this value and change it to 4096 in decimal.

Then force Win XP to reread all the cached icons. Right-click on the desktop, choose Properties, click on the Appearance tab in the dialog box that pops up, and click on the Advanced button on that tab. Select Icon in the Item list and increase the Size setting by 1 pixel (this will normally be from 32 to 33). Click on OK to dismiss the Advanced Appearance dialog, then click on the Apply button. The desktop will fade and then return back to normal. Now click on the Advanced button again, change the icon size back to what it was, click on OK, and click on OK again.

Or simply download TweakUI and use the "rebuild Icons" option.
http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9ed9-45a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

domarloc
04-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Okay Paak I tried the step by step instructions you gave me and got as far as "find or create the DWORD value MaxCachedIcons" part and I could not find it so I tried downloading the link you sent me instead. I followed those instructions and it made all of my icon very faded and discolored. Any idea how I can fix them? How do you create the DWORD value MaxCachedIcons?

paak
04-12-2007, 07:00 PM
You did this?

http://kvtech.ca/repair.gif

....How about rebooting and see if it loads the icon cache properly.

How do you create the DWORD value MaxCachedIcons?

Right-click | new | DWORD

domarloc
04-12-2007, 08:36 PM
:biggrin: Okay got it.....everything is back to normal. Now I just need to see if it stops doing crazy things on me!! Paak Thanks a bunch for your help!!!