PDA

View Full Version : Stop buying from puppy mills

mrman
04-11-2007, 10:15 PM
Hi folks,

->Feel free to correct me if you are more informed than I am.<-

When going to into local SJ pet stores I see dogs that are outrageously priced and *likley* from a puppy mill. By buying these dogs you could be continuously perpetuating the puppy mill cruelty. If you have ever seen how puppy mill breeders treat their "cash cows" you would understand why I am shooting my mouth off... that is if you care about animal cruelty.

The SJ animal rescue league has great animals there.... and if you have to have that big dog to march around King Square, you can probably find that at the SJ ARL. Likewise if you would prefer a poofy poodle you can find that there as well... you may have to wait a month or so if exactly what you want is not there when you visit... but it will cost you 10% of the pet store prices. Take the difference and invest it in your kids RESP.

By the way... I am not suggesting people who buy a dog from a pet store don't care about animal cruelty and I have no objection to people wanting pure breeds for breeding purposes or even if you just want one. I am simply requesting people get informed and have proof they are not supporting puppy mills.. . I still can't believe people pay the prices though... $1500 plus... geez...

dally
04-12-2007, 12:40 AM
I have a purebred that I purchased from a breeder. The average person that buys a dog from a breeder has to sign a contract to get the dog spayed or neutered. A good breeder will not give breeding rights to the person that purchases one of their dogs. That's not to say that every person will obey. I was having that discussion the other day with the lady I purchased from. She keeps in contact with the people she's sold to over the years, but like I said to her what if they move leave the province you would never know. Unfortunately a lot of dogs from breeders have ended up on rescue and worse.

The dogs at the pet stores are all from puppy mills. Well I should take that back I was told there are a few back yard breeders in the Saint John area that do supply to *editted*. Though the employees will tell you that they come from respected breeders. Yeah right! The prices are outrageous and a lot of the dogs aren't purebreds but they are saying they are;terrypoos, cockapoos etc. They get those dogs a dime a dozen then jack up the price. $1500 for a mixed breed I don't think so...go to the league and get a mixed don't support them. Mind you, it is possible to pay that much from a breeder depending on what you want. Dachshund's run about $1200. The smaller the breed the higher the price. The difference is you know what you are getting from a respected breeder at the pet store you don't. The animal could be very sickly.
The big thing is people have to be educated a lot of people have never even heard of puppy mills. I have this little pin that I wear on my jacket that says "Stop puppy mills". You wouldn't believe how many people have asked me what that means. For every person that asks that's one less dog that will be bought from a pet store, I hope.

Corky
04-14-2007, 09:33 AM
I agree with you 100% but there are other ways to get a dog to..if you can't find a dog you like at the arl..go to a breeder thats what i did with my second dog...they are well taken care of,not as expensive as the pet store and they always follow up on the dog making sure it has been taken care of.My first dog we got at the arl.She is a wonderful dog makes us laugh she was put out on the streets as a pup.So in my opinon i think that either or would be good that way you aren't supporting what they are doing to those poor animals!

harbourchick07
04-15-2007, 08:03 AM
i know what pet store you are talking about. i seen how they treat the dogs in there, they do have mutes that are way over priced. There is only one pet store that i would ever buy a puppy from and that one is in the mall.. the employees there know everyone who brings in animals. I told them about my cats kittens and they were like ok, the girl behind me seemed pretty mad that when she asked about them taking kittens they said they would have to talk to the owner, and took down all this girls info. and it was all because they didnt know her. lol. there are puppies in there once every like 3 months and most them come from the say people (who btw live by me) i usualy want to take them all home. and they are not over priced in there, you get the puppy and a bag of food for 130 all together. not to bad if you ask me lol. all thought i could get the puppy for free, i'd rather have a free bag of food lol. the ARL is always full of the breed i want, but i am still at home with my mom and she is afraid of that dog, so i have been looking for a boxer instead of a rottie shes not as afraid of them, if anyone sees on at the ARL could you please let me know.

CM
04-15-2007, 05:04 PM
Well I don't put much stock in the pet store in the mall either. Someone I know bought a puppy from there, a few years ago. They assured her it was a Lhasa Apso, both parents were Lhasa Apso she was told. She had been wanting one of these dogs for a very long time so she bought it.
I saw this "Lhasa" about 6 or 7 months after she bought it. Well it may have had some Lhasa in it, but this dog stood at about my knee, was about 2 1/2 to 3 feet long. I am no dog expert, but that is not a Lhasa Apso.
Those people are very misleading, and their information is not always accurate. And the main point of this post is to try save an animals life by supporting your local animal shelter and harbourchick07 seems to be promoting buying at a certain pet store.

harbourchick07
04-15-2007, 05:26 PM
i think we are talking about two different pet stores...:confused: the pet store i am talking about has only ever had 2 different type of pure breed dogs in husky and Pekanise, and they sold for about 400 dollars. this pet store has a can on their contour for the ARL and support them better then any pet store i know, they also support rescuing the grey hounds from slaughter after racing.:) such beautiful dogs. the Pet Corral and the pet store in the mall are the only two pet stores i support. i dont even buy my pets food at Pets Unlimited lol. I am not supporting all pet stores. i do what i can for the ARL. i give money to them and often times take in treats blankets etc for the animals.. I also go down to Calais maine to an animals shelter there called P.A.W.S i always buy stuff for them and take it in. the last time i was there i got them a bag of cat litter, some blankets, dog bones, cans of cat/dog food. some toys for them, and a few bags of cat treats as well a bag of dog food. lol if thats not supporting a shelter lol.. i am actuality have tempted to go and buy a 100 dollars or so worth the stuff for the animals at the ARL like cat beds, litter for all the animals, toys and food.. Sound like a good idea to you guys. ?:o

countesscurling
04-21-2007, 08:00 AM
I can't imagine why anyone would buy a dog from "the leading pet store in Saint John". They are highly over-priced and are not even purebred dogs with papers (more than likely from a puppy mill) and whenever I've been in there, the dogs always have diarrehea and gooey eyes.

I've owned a purebred King Charles Cavalier spaniel that came with championship papers and paid less than they want at the pet store. We recently purchased a purebred dog without papers for $400. They want up to $2,000 for their dogs. Ridiculous!!

harbourchick07
04-21-2007, 07:51 PM
The puppies in that pet store are gross. I want to take them all home and give them the TLC they need. puppies normally have the poops, but it they are one a good puppy food then that doesn't happen to often. i got my puppy for 130 dollars at the pet store and she had nothing wrong with her, no poops, lol. people can get mutes for free if they look in the right places. you can even get pure breed dogs for free sometimes. i have seem dobermins in the buyerflyer for free. my neighbor recently got a newfie for free. You can tell that these are people who don't want to put there dog in a shelter and want to really find them a home or at least try to at first.