PDA

View Full Version : "A Lot" is 2 words!

Sally-girl
04-11-2007, 09:54 PM
Not that it really matters, but just one of my pet peeves!!!!

jdcb
04-12-2007, 05:17 AM
...true story...

amethyst
04-12-2007, 05:59 AM
what's that saying? you wouldn't write "alittle" so you shouldn't write "alot"

i'm guilty of it though...lol

vanessalynn5484
04-12-2007, 11:07 AM
My Grade 7 English Teacher used to have a HUGE sign in the classroom that said A LOT = 2 words. LOL I loved her and I thank her for my fear of bad grammar.

eagallant
04-12-2007, 11:36 AM
I'm a total "alot" user. In fact, I have my Word spellcheck accept it as a word. It always looked funny to me as 2 words... But my daughter also calls me "spel-iterate". I'll try not to use it in this forum. It's funny, cause the girls correct me all the time ;)

richunclepennywise
04-12-2007, 07:34 PM
your is possessive but you're is you are

I keep seeing these particular words used wrong in company correspondence and websites. My writing is far from perfect but these two drive me crazy.

Your going to say "What an idiot"

PS I used the wrong one on purpose

vanessalynn5484
04-12-2007, 07:46 PM
what about "at least" ? It is one word or two?

pepsimama
04-13-2007, 05:46 AM
two = 2 (that one is usually ok)
too = also
to = as in "give to", "going to"

My two friends were too tired to dance.

tred816
04-13-2007, 06:00 AM
I must say that my grammar and spelling is usually correct, but I do use "alot" alot:rofl:

vanessalynn5484
04-13-2007, 09:56 AM
Can we talk about topic sentences and putting your thoughts into paragraphs next ?

All this grammar is making me giddy :p:biggrin:;):rofl:

Misty589
04-13-2007, 03:01 PM
I think you have A LOT of time on your hands lol

kaj27
04-13-2007, 10:18 PM
Can we talk about topic sentences and putting your thoughts into paragraphs next ?

All this grammar is making me giddy :p:biggrin:;):rofl:

I love it

when people

type like

this.

MistyMoon
04-15-2007, 08:23 AM
Well...what about...over using... the ....

I use .... ALOT <--- hehehe

chevygirl
04-15-2007, 08:31 AM
I type alot but the software that I am using word, outlook usually corrects it for me. lol You think that I would be used to it by now. Old habits die hard but I think I may be getting better. Another one that I always type wrong is maybe. I say mabe.LOL

vanessalynn5484
04-15-2007, 08:41 AM
I should say I am firm believer in poetic/creative license - sometimes misusing grammar, or using it unconventionally, can help portray a tone, theme, or message.

tred816
04-15-2007, 08:50 AM
I also abuse the "...". I use it to symbolize a pause lol. Not sure if it's read that way by others or not, but I use it ALOT too ;)

The_Dave
04-15-2007, 09:17 AM
One of my pet peeves is, The atrocious grammar that people use on line. Is it stupidity or just plain laziness. What are they teaching in schools today??

vanessalynn5484
04-15-2007, 09:19 AM
One of my pet peeves is, The atrocious grammar that people use on line. Is it stupidity or just plain laziness. What are they teaching in schools today??
How to waste your tax dollars of course...
:rofl:
Just teasin'

oasis
04-15-2007, 10:34 AM
A pet peeve of mine is the use of the run on sentence have these people not heard of a punctuation mark capital letters or a paragraph how about the use of u it's you not u u see it in use all the time if i want to talk about u i type it as you not u but it seems a number of u use u

OK I just had to do that! U see what I mean about it? it makes it very hard to read!

OK now I got a head ache.

tred816
04-15-2007, 11:07 AM
How to waste your tax dollars of course...
:rofl:
Just teasin'

rotflm_o:rofl:

Good one Vanessa. Gotta put "The Dave" in place once in a while ;) (just teasin' Dave)

Lemme_LQQK
04-15-2007, 02:32 PM
It had been a loooong time since I actually sat down, took pen in hand and wrote a letter to some one.
Well after I had gone over it for before putting it in an envelope to mail I was amazed at what I had written without even noticing what I had done.

I had to rewrite it due to the way I had used "A Lot " of the words. Many of the words were half written and printed , and I used a lot of LOL's , + signs and even a few @'s .

I hadn't realized just how much of a habit it had become, writing in pc jargin on paper. Shame on me . lol

I found that after the first page my hand had gotten tired too...hahaha.
But the worst thing I did was I ended the letter with "CIAO"

vanessalynn5484
04-15-2007, 02:35 PM
It had been a loooong time since I actually sat down, took pen in hand and wrote a letter to some one.
Well after I had gone over it for before putting it in an envelope to mail I was amazed at what I had written without even noticing what I had done.

I had to rewrite it due to the way I had used "A Lot " of the words. Many of the words were half written and printed , and I used a lot of LOL's , + signs and even a few @'s .

I hadn't realized just how much of a habit it had become, writing in pc jargin on paper. Shame on me . lol

I found that after the first page my hand had gotten tired too...hahaha.
But the worst thing I did was I ended the letter with "CIAO" Actually I find it quite interesting...

The internet has brought back the interjection....I was actually reading an article on this the other day and it was very interesting. If I can find it I will post :D

vanessalynn5484
04-15-2007, 03:42 PM
rotflm_o:rofl:

Good one Vanessa. Gotta put "The Dave" in place once in a while ;) (just teasin' Dave)
*speaking of school days*
The_Dave you know what it means when the girls are teasin you? They liiike you! :rofl:

Rickster
04-15-2007, 08:37 PM
I'm really beginning to wonder about you people ??? Two words to start a This ?? I have question...Do we have too much time on our hands or nobody 'near-by' to talk to ?!? The latter would be sad,in some cases.-Rick. (just being me,lol.)

The_Dave
04-15-2007, 09:47 PM
No one can put The _Dave in his place. Obviously my tax dollars are being wasted trying to teach kids grammar in school today. Messenger is ruining them all. And manners, Please, don't get me started.

Mandi
04-15-2007, 09:49 PM
No one can put The _Dave in his place. Obviously my tax dollars are being wasted trying to teach kids grammar in school today. Messenger is ruining them all. And manners, Please, don't get me started.
Thank you for paying for my lack of education! :rofl:

The_Dave
04-15-2007, 09:51 PM
No problem, sorry for your lack there of.

Mandi
04-15-2007, 09:55 PM
No problem, sorry for your lack there of.
Ehn. Who needs education when you've got good looks? :p

The_Dave
04-15-2007, 09:57 PM
Good looks won't put food on your table or pay the bills. Well maybe, if you are into being pimped out. hahaha Just teasing about the pimped out part Mandi.

Mandi
04-15-2007, 10:02 PM
Good looks won't put food on your table or pay the bills. Well maybe, if you are into being pimped out. hahaha Just teasing about the pimped out part Mandi.

I'd hope so, because unless men have pregnant watermellon belly fetishes, I'm out of luck.

The_Dave
04-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Well there are some pretty freaky websites out there.

vanessalynn5484
04-15-2007, 11:03 PM
The_Dave I thought you were supposed to shut that down....

rhiley_08j
04-17-2007, 12:35 PM
When did "youse" become a word? So many people say it, but now I have actually seen it in black and white in the newspaper. Ex: When are youse going to come over for supper? Is that now considered plural for you? :)