PDA

View Full Version : Our own quick plebicite

Doug James
04-11-2007, 11:29 AM
You'll notice this morning on Port City Politics.com that council has voted 7-3 against adopting a ward system of government for Saint John although Michelle Hooten is now insisting that it go to a plebicite next spring so that the people themselves can make the decision. I thought it would be interesting to see right now how many are in favour and how many oppose a ward system over the current system whereby all councillors are elected at-large. Will be interesting to compare your vote with that of council.

girdy
04-11-2007, 11:41 AM
You'll notice this morning on Port City Politics.com that council has voted 7-3 against adopting a ward system of government for Saint John although Michelle Hooten is now insisting that it go to a plebicite next spring so that the people themselves can make the decision. I thought it would be interesting to see right now how many are in favour and how many oppose a ward system over the current system whereby all councillors are elected at-large. Will be interesting to compare your vote with that of council.

I think there should be a 3'rd category, for those who think politicians should stop worrying so much about the manner in which they get elected, and start worrying more about what would benefit the city.

Given the financial situation of this city, you'd think there would be better ways to spend money, than on this. Shame on you Michelle for not accepting the will of the elected representatives.

vanessalynn5484
04-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Could you quickly or in depth (your choice) explain the difference between the two? It may help with getting responses.

vanessalynn5484
04-11-2007, 11:46 AM
I think there should be a 3'rd category, for those who think politicians should stop worrying so much about the manner in which they get elected, and start worrying more about what would benefit the city.

Very well put:)

Doug James
04-11-2007, 11:58 AM
While this is about the way politicians are elected -- it is really about how you are represented. If you have a councillor who lives in your part of town and is elected to represent that part of town rather than the entire city as is the case today, you will have a far better chance of a.) electing the right person for the job (as there will be fewer names on the ballot) and b.) getting that person to respond to issues and problems in your own neighbourhood. With the status quo, you could call all 10 councillors and they could all say they don't have the time or even the desire to help you as they were elected at-large to represent everyone in the city, not just those in your neighbourhood. I favour a ward system because it makes local elected representatives more accountable to the voter. A ward councillor would always have your interests at heart and would be more proactive in engaging you and your neighbours in discussion and problem solving. Imagine today if every Member of Parliament were elected at-large representing 33-million Canadians but no one in particular? It makes no more sense to have it work this way locally. There are other reasons for and against a ward system but I think this is the one that best empowers the people.