PDA

View Full Version : Female in heat

wannabuy
04-10-2007, 05:34 PM
:eek: does anyone know how long a female dogs heat lasts?:confused:

new424
04-10-2007, 05:48 PM
female dogs usually spot (bleed) anywhere from 4-9 days (this is proestrus) and then the discharge should change to a kind of yellowy color (sometimes will still show trace of blood as well) for 4-13 days (This is estrus)

Conception can occur during the estrus stage, but it's always a good idea to confine your female and keep her away from all males for a minimum of 21 days from the time you notice spotting.

Rickster
04-10-2007, 07:59 PM
I have a female Shepherd (unfixed) and two males(Shepherd and Pitbull) and they usually drive me nuts(for lack of a better word,lol) for about two weeks. It may be different for different breds, but that is my scenario.Her last heat,just a few weeks ago came 'without' the usual blood spotting and caught me by surprise until I notice them licking the spots she was urinating.Another sign if you have a male around the house/yard with her. - Rick.

wannabuy
04-10-2007, 08:10 PM
what im worried about is a male hopped on her for just a few seconds and i dont even know if "it"was in or not ,,but im scared he got her preggers.how long do they have to be in?sorry this is a bit odd sounding!

care1978
04-10-2007, 08:16 PM
what im worried about is a male hopped on her for just a few seconds and i dont even know if "it"was in or not ,,but im scared he got her preggers.how long do they have to be in?sorry this is a bit odd sounding!
chances are shes not preggy.... dogs usually well get...... stuck butt to butt, its kinda grueling(well to me) bc they seem like they are in pain or something... im not a vet though.... just my experience... they can get stuck for about a half hour or so,before they separate..... like i said im no vet, but i think i might be right... someone correct me if im wrong! :)
pm'd u also

wannabuy
04-10-2007, 08:18 PM
thanks for the info about to pm, you!

care1978
04-10-2007, 08:34 PM
found this online :) hope it helps... hey i was right! woohoo!!!!!!!!

The average female dog reaches sexual maturity at approximately six months of age,
about four months earlier than the male.
Most females come into heat (signaled by menstruation) every six months,
but heat frequencies can vary from one to three times a year.
Each heat lasts about three weeks.

During heat the female exudes a sexy scent which attracts every male dog in the neighborhood.
The female lets the males chase her until she decides to catch one.
The mating act can last up to 40 minutes,
because the male dog is often unable to free himself from the female.
This is called a "tie."

wannabuy
04-10-2007, 08:35 PM
thanks care!!!

care1978
04-10-2007, 08:45 PM
np! :)
least i could do for pinnin' ya lol

wannabuy
04-10-2007, 08:50 PM
i dont hold a grudge!!

tumtummc@hotmail.com
04-10-2007, 08:51 PM
A female dog stayes in heat for 21 days.7 days starting 7 days in heat thats when you can breed than 7 days coming out of heat. And when the male dog is stuck with the female she is prag ( going to have puppies).

care1978
04-10-2007, 08:52 PM
sweet! :)

Rickster
04-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Word of warning ! Any atempt to break them once they are 'locked' can seriously harm the female. After all,once it done,it's done ! It your fault in the first place so there's no reason the punish them,lol. The male testees(balls), depending on the breed can swell up to the size of a tennis ball once inside, so you wouldn't want to try to 'Rip' this out of your female !!- Rick.

care1978
04-10-2007, 09:48 PM
Word of warning ! Any atempt to break them once they are 'locked' can seriously harm the female. After all,once it done,it's done ! It your fault in the first place so there's no reason the punish them,lol. The male testees(balls), depending on the breed can swell up to the size of a tennis ball once inside, so you wouldn't want to try to 'Rip' this out of your female !!- Rick.
nice.... thanks for the mental image Rick,,,,,,, lol

wannabuy
04-10-2007, 10:09 PM
:rofl: the image is so we have sweet dreams care:rofl: :rofl: but thanks very much for the advice,they were not "locked"cause all i did was yell at the boy and he hopped off!:eek:

adorabull
04-10-2007, 10:19 PM

Its not their balls, its at the base of their penis called a "bulbus gland" its to kinda hold everything in there ( I know its gross to some) but a reality.
When they are stuck togather its called a "tie"

Rickster
04-11-2007, 12:16 AM
You were very lucky that time,LOL,lol. The image I created was just to get the point across and I guess it worked,eh ??,LOL,lol:rofl: - Rick.

vanessalynn5484
04-11-2007, 12:42 AM

Lemme_LQQK
04-11-2007, 02:42 PM
Ohhhhhh Mmmmmy Gaaaawd Rickster....lol Waaay tooo much info ,
The old fashion way of saying it is "they become dog locked" and no it's not a nice thing to see.

I imagine most got a visual after reading your post, hey speaking of that you would be a very good teacher/instructor ....lol Ever thought of becoming one?...lol

Yeah Vanessa the man doesn't mince his words does he...hahahaha

vanessalynn5484
04-11-2007, 02:57 PM

wannabuy
04-11-2007, 03:19 PM
i vote for him to teach sex-ed to my kids!!!!

vanessalynn5484
04-11-2007, 03:24 PM

wannabuy
04-11-2007, 04:07 PM
its nice to share a laugh on here for a change!!

christine chittick
04-11-2007, 04:24 PM
the male penis also "swells" inside the female, so it can damage the male's penis as well as the females vagina. Infections, and profuse bleeding can occur in both. Best thing to do if something like this happens is let it be and make a vet appointment to abort unwanted puppies. Even better, dogs that are not health tested and certified and of breeding stock should be fixed. :)

adorabull
04-11-2007, 09:17 PM
the male penis also "swells" inside the female, so it can damage the male's penis as well as the females vagina. Infections, and profuse bleeding can occur in both. Best thing to do if something like this happens is let it be and make a vet appointment to abort unwanted puppies. Even better, dogs that are not health tested and certified and of breeding stock should be fixed. :)

Did you know dogs can have or get STD's too

Theres a wealth of info! HAHA

christine chittick
04-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Did you know dogs can have or get STD's too

Theres a wealth of info! HAHA

Yep they sure can! A few breeders I know who have dogs at stud will actually want documentation clearing the female prior to breeding from STD's, one breeder, a good friend of mine actually won't stud his dog out for natural breeding, will only collect fresh semen or sell frozen semen to people who want to use his dog. :D

adorabull
04-12-2007, 05:02 PM
Yep they sure can! A few breeders I know who have dogs at stud will actually want documentation clearing the female prior to breeding from STD's, one breeder, a good friend of mine actually won't stud his dog out for natural breeding, will only collect fresh semen or sell frozen semen to people who want to use his dog. :D

Artifical insemination, I have a stud dog, and thats the only way ill do it, and as well the closest female it over 2000kms away, send it by courier :P