PDA

View Full Version : Global warming. who is doing there part?

sjchickie
04-10-2007, 10:53 AM
There has been much discussion recently about Global Warming. It sure scares the crap out of me!!!! I watched Al gores movie....read some online reports, and continue with it in the news and media. To be honest I am more worried about this than any war we are fighting. So if we can reach just one person at a time to do there part every single day i am hoping that those who are doubtful will follow in line. Even if you cant think of something off the top of your head, sign the petition to scrap the LNG terminal thats being built in your city. Poisioning your childrens lungs much more than cigarettes and affecting your grandkids future.

If we dont start now its just one more day wasted and one day closer to something that will wipe out all our kids and grandkids. My question is what is everyone doing to help fight it? and if you arent doing anything what will you do in the future. People who dont believe this is happening need not reply scientific proof is clear :)

6sixstring6
04-10-2007, 12:50 PM
Could you be more specific on what exactly the building of the LNG plant has to do with global warming.

My understanding is that natural gas is very clean burning so it produces less pollutants to advance global warming unlike many other fossil fuels.

sjchickie
04-10-2007, 01:29 PM
we already have an oil refinery within city limits. Putting athe LNG plant in the city is polluting there air even more. Irving's toxic emissions have been higher than the legal limit for years. Its truly another issue. Many saint johners do not want this plant. Its bad for the air! I am not willing to live in a city who is more worried about bringing labourers here than clean air for our community. Lets bring educated people here. No offence to the labourers but i cant see how this city can grow with a bunch of transitional labourers that go where the work is. University educated people need apply. The LNG plant is truly a whole nother discussion but thousands of saint johners disagree with it. :)

girdy
04-10-2007, 01:55 PM
You have to distinguish between what people are doing about global warming, and what people are doing about local air pollution. It may very well be better for global warming that a new refinery and LNG terminal be built, but it may very well be bad for local air pollution that they are built.

There hasn't been a new oil refinery built in North America for quite some time, which generally means that many of the ones that are running, are inefficient - so causing extra greenhouse gases as well as wasting the limited natural resources remaining. So if a new Saint John one replaced a 50 year old one in Texas, it would be better for global warming. But it would be bad for Saint John air pollution.

A new LNG plant, if the Natural Gas was used to shut down a coal burning power station, would be a good thing for global warming. But if it was built in Saint John, it would be bad for Saint John air pollution.

Even if consumption could be reduced, it might be better for global warming that the two Saint John initiatives be developed because of what might be taken offline. A new Saint John refinery allowing 2 old ones to be taken offline, might be a good thing, globally speaking.

On a personal note, our immediate direct contribution has been house energy conservation initiatives - good for global warming, good for our budget.

6sixstring6
04-10-2007, 03:57 PM
we already have an oil refinery within city limits. Putting athe LNG plant in the city is polluting there air even more. Irving's toxic emissions have been higher than the legal limit for years. Its truly another issue. Many saint johners do not want this plant. Its bad for the air! I am not willing to live in a city who is more worried about bringing labourers here than clean air for our community. Lets bring educated people here. No offence to the labourers but i cant see how this city can grow with a bunch of transitional labourers that go where the work is. University educated people need apply. The LNG plant is truly a whole nother discussion but thousands of saint johners disagree with it. :)

I asked you to be more specific on what harm the LNG plant would have and all you did was bash Irving and the blue collar workers.

If you have no valid arguements, then maybe you shouldn't start a thread suggesting that something be discontinued.

By the way, I am neither a blue collar worker nor do I have any direct involvement with the Irvings.

space
04-10-2007, 04:12 PM
I asked you to be more specific on what harm the LNG plant would have and all you did was bash Irving and the blue collar workers.

If you have no valid arguements, then maybe you shouldn't start a thread suggesting that something be discontinued.

By the way, I am neither a blue collar worker nor do I have any direct involvement with the Irvings.

you must by irvings gas for all thise vehicles.. lol

Mandi
04-10-2007, 04:40 PM
Don't like it move. It's coming here, you can't change it. Overall it's better for global warming. For Saint John it may not be the best thing, but our fine world it is.

kaj27
04-10-2007, 04:41 PM
I'd like to see bigger companies lower their vehicle emissions. Like Taxi companies should be driver smaller cars or bio diesel cars. The city vehicles should follow the same. Along with pretty much any public company. Why should it always be the little people making the changes, Make the businesses do it or the city. They just bought all those buses. They should be like BC and running those buses that use Hydrogen Fuel Cells or bio diesel at least.

Me driving my little Jetta to work that is about 2km away doesn't hurt anyone that much. But Joe Blow cruising in his Taxi that blows blue smoke out the tail pipe and tossing garbage and smokes out the window sure is.

Get him to fix it first. Not me.

rhiley_08j
04-10-2007, 06:59 PM
I have to say that I agree that global warming is definitely a serious issue, but in all honesty I really do believe that it is too late. We may be able to slow down the effects by each of us doing our part but in the big picture it is only a small step. The reason that the environment is in the condition it is in is because of people's need for convenience and of course, above all else, MONEY. That's what makes the world go round, for a little while longer anyway.

They say that vehicles and refineries are the major pollutants, and I think it would be a very easy fix. Everyone that has a vehicle, should be given a hybrid vehicle, free of charge, and from that point on anyone that purchases a vehicle can only buy a hybrid. Also, oil is a huge energy source that could be replaced by natural gas, which is a never ending source that is much cleaner. It's a nice idea, and in all honesty I think it would definitely work, but it is not a profitable alternative.

Just a note about the comment made about the LNG terminal, there seems to be a misconception about what it is. It will not be a pollutant as many think, it is strictly a storage facility where the gas can be brought on land and distributed across North America. Also, it is not a explosion risk, but rather the gas is stored a extremely low temperature, and once it reaches the air it disipates.

Just my two cents worth.

richunclepennywise
04-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Personally I'm all for global warming, I'm sick of winter.

:D

vanessalynn5484
04-10-2007, 07:35 PM
[I think] It really is too late to help places like Africa and Asia, which I have read will be ravaged by plagues of insects, disease, floods, and famine and probably be completely wiped out.

There probably will be no polar bears left in my lifetime.

We are one of the places which will be least effected for now and perhaps we can slow down the process before the above wipes us out as well.

vanessalynn5484
04-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Personally I'm all for global warming, I'm sick of winter.

:D
There is more to it than warm weather
with the climate change will come famine, floods, stronger hurricanes, fierce storms, diseases, plagues of bugs, and species of wild life to become extinct.

vanessalynn5484
04-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Always keep in mind when you are reading articles, watching movies, or even sometimes the news it can be misleading. Consider the frame of reference of where the information is coming from and try and sort the fact from fear mongering.

sjchickie
04-10-2007, 07:53 PM
6strings6. listen....LOL If you dont have anything nice to say dont say it. I started the thread for my own reasons and I was NOT bashing blue collar workers. Its about whats best for the city and I just believe we need to bring more educated people here. But as i said its another issue. Thanks for that thought

As for Global warming. It is to late in many ways but that doesnt mean we shouldnt slow it down and or come up with a plausible solution. Its better for the earth and if we all just worked together this wouldnt be the way it is. I agree with Vanessa there is WAY more to it than warm weather and everyone who has commented on this negatively should at least know what they are talking about. Flood, famine, polar bears swimming 60 miles to the nearest glacier is NOT a joke. To me anyways. I also agree with what kaj said about that taxi company's and any other business involving veichles should change their habits. If people in this world actually stopped complaining about things and instead did something to change it IE: care1978 wanting to get those things from mcflurrys banned. its got nothing to do with global warming but its a step in the right direction. Any move up is better than staying where we are currently

Rogerslaughter----- listen i said no negative comments. People like you are ignorant and are ignoring it. The REAL scientists are 100% sure about this and no offence id rather listen to them than someone who calls it hippy nonsense :) post somewhere else. It is people like yourself that set the country back. It has absolutley NOTHING to do with ONE snowfall and whats funniest is that you obviously have NO idea what your talking about so please say it nicely or not at all

vanessalynn5484
04-10-2007, 07:55 PM
What a bunch of "hippy" nonsense.

I drive 2 Yukons (which I idle in the winter), I do not recycle, etc, etc....

I find global warming a hard sell given the last snowfall we had. You are all tools of the left wing fanatics such as the NDP.

Maybe if your masters would let the real scientists voice the the truth then this global warming myth will go away.

Roger
Okay....So we have proof that it exists and what exactly do you have to back up your opinion? You can tell from a few posts about global warming that we are "tools of the left wing fanatics such as the NDP" ? Doubt it.

Sorry if I do not appreciate your comments, but I do not really enjoy being called a "tool" of any trades.

Mandi
04-10-2007, 07:55 PM

I find global warming a hard sell given the last snowfall we had. You are all tools of the left wing fanatics such as the NDP.

Maybe if your masters would let the real scientists voice the the truth then this global warming myth will go away.

Roger

Myth? wow.

vanessalynn5484
04-10-2007, 07:58 PM
6strings6. listen....LOL If you dont have anything nice to say dont say it. I started the thread for my own reasons and I was NOT bashing blue collar workers. Its about whats best for the city and I just believe we need to bring more educated people here. But as i said its another issue. Thanks for that thought

As for Global warming. It is to late in many ways but that doesnt mean we shouldnt slow it down and or come up with a plausible solution. Its better for the earth and if we all just worked together this wouldnt be the way it is. I agree with Vanessa there is WAY more to it than warm weather and everyone who has commented on this negatively should at least know what they are talking about. Flood, famine, polar bears swimming 60 miles to the nearest glacier is NOT a joke. To me anyways. I also agree with what kaj said about that taxi company's and any other business involving veichles should change their habits. If people in this world actually stopped complaining about things and instead did something to change it IE: care1978 wanting to get those things from mcflurrys banned. its got nothing to do with global warming but its a step in the right direction. Any move up is better than staying where we are currently

Rogerslaughter----- listen i said no negative comments. People like you are ignorant and are ignoring it. The REAL scientists are 100% sure about this and no offence id rather listen to them than someone who calls it hippy nonsense :) post somewhere else. It is people like yourself that set the country back. It has absolutley NOTHING to do with ONE snowfall and whats funniest is that you obviously have NO idea what your talking about so please say it nicely or not at all

Sjchickie you're head is in the right place and I see your point. We can't afford to ignore that you can not pump as much crap as you want into ANY living thing and it just keep on trucking (I hope Roger appreciates my hippy epitaph ).

kaj27
04-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Even if global warming or climate change isn't real or happening. You have to admit what we are currently doing isn't very good.....

vanessalynn5484
04-11-2007, 12:01 AM
Even if global warming or climate change isn't real or happening. You have to admit what we are currently doing isn't very good.....Exactly.

Are not most of these environmentally friendly advances also cost effective? Like fuel efficient cars and LED lights? There actually is a lot of money to be made off of Global warming. It is already being marketed.

That is why you have to be weary about what you believe. Ask yourself does this person/company/etc have something to gain by fear mongering? (Example: product sales, ticket sales). At the same time it is a good thing because it will be a wake up call for a lot of people. I am just saying before we all get really paranoid and declare there is nothing we can do, take a step back and look at the bigger picture. I believe the environment could begin to heal itself if we would let it.

Clancy
04-11-2007, 03:55 PM
Roger does have a very valid point. There are 2 sides to this story. Do a google search on debunk global warming. There have been trends like this in history. Wasn't there something in the '80s that said we were getting colder? Things change.

It's still important to recycle though!

Roger

donteatrawpotatoes
04-11-2007, 04:32 PM
:(

Lemme_LQQK
04-11-2007, 07:33 PM
OMG ...I'm a tool , been called a knob before but never a "tool"...lol

We need educated people to come to saint john? What did we go to school all those years for.

Come for what , to make BIG bucks , that's not here?
It's mostly a money thing , money,money,money, always winds up the almighty dollar .
When the "Educated people" told us not to eat eggs they were bad for us , now they're saying eggs are good for us . I mean c;mon make up my mind for me plz.

If we listened and believed everything that was told to us , things would be in a worse mess than they are right now.
yes , for sure we must take it upon ourselves to stop the polluting but at the same time how can we in certain areas ,ie:plastics, they developed it , now we're stuck with it , it's almost impossible NOT to buy anything that isn't made of some sort of plastic/latex/or neoprene.
All of which is not biodegradeable.
Neuclear waste , where is that going? Sealed in metal drums which are dropped in the bottom of the ocean, amoung other places.Metal rusts,that's pollution.

San Francisco, do you know what they do with their retired trolley cars ?
They take them out on a barge to the middle of the harbour and sink them there. They say they are providing a home for the fish and plankton, ppfftt, they are .

Aircraft carriers, do u know what they do with them when they are too old and tired to be of service anymore ? They tow them out in the middle of the ocean ,place explosives on it, then blow it up, to go where , to the ocean floor.

And that's not polluting? Yes it is. It has to start with the big corporate companies, and go on down the line to the little people , the same needs to apply with global warming.

I don't feel scientists really know enough to certify what they claim in most of their findings , stop all the flights to outer space , it can't be a good thing to be breaking through the atmosphere , hauling a trail of fuel emissions with them , sometimes it seems it's so easy for these educated people to blame the little guy.

I could be wrong in what I say, but I don't think I'm all that far from being right either.

jdcb
04-11-2007, 08:00 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/jdcb/post__.gif

vanessalynn5484
04-11-2007, 08:04 PM
lol My goal is 2000 :D

kaj27
04-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Lets bring educated people here.

Funny how I started a thread in the Jobs & Education forum about the provincial government cutting the budget on our Community Colleges. All that after promising more money for our schools. Have you been inside NBCC lately? I am, Daily. We need lots of money for programs new equipment and frigging light bulbs!

No one even replied. Not even you. So don't talk about education when you clearly don't care. This town, this province hardly cares about education. I've lost count on the number of people I know that haven't finished High School. Such a waste.

And yes I love post whoring just to raise my count too.

skallywag
04-11-2007, 08:49 PM
I need to say a couple things in response to a few comments made here:

1) I have solar panels for heating
2) I negate 1) because I drive an Envoy, so I can tow a camping trailer.
3) We recycle
4) High paying jobs are abundant in SJ, both my wife and I have one. The trick is a high school diploma won't get you one. A 2-3 yr community college diploma is the BARE minimun. Couple that with an undergrad and and common sense, and you should be fine. That's just the way it is.
5) Change comes from the bottom up, not the top down. The CONSUMER will determine the pace of our "greenness". When consumers demand greener products at a respectable price, it will happen.
6) Nature does heal itself when given the chance. It's never too late.
7) Never invite David Suzuki or Ed Beagley to a party, they will totally kill any chance of having a good time.

Rich

sjchickie
04-11-2007, 09:02 PM
Funny how I started a thread in the Jobs & Education forum about the provincial government cutting the budget on our Community Colleges. All that after promising more money for our schools. Have you been inside NBCC lately? I am, Daily. We need lots of money for programs new equipment and frigging light bulbs!

No one even replied. Not even you. So don't talk about education when you clearly don't care. This town, this province hardly cares about education. I've lost count on the number of people I know that haven't finished High School. Such a waste.

And yes I love post whoring just to raise my count too.

I dont care???? No I dont care I dislike this province and everything it stands for. I didnt post in that because As stated in one of MY previous posts way back when i stated that I had gotten into U of T in toronto and was tranferring there. A place I miss and would much rather contribute to that economy. My post was about global warming...why not just talk about that. I think i will go post on your thing under jobs and education :)

kaj27
04-11-2007, 09:47 PM
I need to say a couple things in response to a few comments made here:

1) I have solar panels for heating
2) I negate 1) because I drive an Envoy, so I can tow a camping trailer.
3) We recycle
4) High paying jobs are abundant in SJ, both my wife and I have one. The trick is a high school diploma won't get you one. A 2-3 yr community college diploma is the BARE minimun. Couple that with an undergrad and and common sense, and you should be fine. That's just the way it is.
5) Change comes from the bottom up, not the top down. The CONSUMER will determine the pace of our "greenness". When consumers demand greener products at a respectable price, it will happen.
6) Nature does heal itself when given the chance. It's never too late.
7) Never invite David Suzuki or Ed Beagley to a party, they will totally kill any chance of having a good time.

Rich

If you have such a high paying job why not park the Envoy until you need it and drive something a bit smaller?

Tara
04-12-2007, 04:59 AM
HA....there's no work here. My hubby is a welder and he cannot get any work in his trade. In Saint John that is. He has an impressive resume but there are not enough jobs here! So it's usually that or go out west. Unfortuntely we didn't have the money for him to go out west so he made the decision to apply with a company that sends trades people overseas. He's currently in Kandahar, Afganistan. I say bring on the plant.

skallywag
04-12-2007, 08:10 AM
Lots of jobs for plumbers, electricians, engineers, IT workers, health care, etc...

Park the Envoy? No way...

kaj27
04-13-2007, 07:10 AM
Lots of jobs for plumbers, electricians, engineers, IT workers, health care, etc...

Park the Envoy? No way...

Of course there is work for health care workers but did you see how much they want to pay RN's? It's a joke a slap in the face. Who would seriously WANT to work as a Registered Nurse in New Brunswick when you can jump to the next province and get full time, better pay and benefits. Yes there may be "Work" as you call it for Health Care people but giving them part-time, zero benefits and poor wages isn't right after spending 4-7 years in school.

Hooray for Atlantic Health Sciences Corp!

And why wouldn't you park the Envoy? Do you have SOOOOOOO much disposable income you can literately just waste it? On gas, Insurance and god knows what else a GM needs. Rain water probably strips the paint right off.

skallywag
04-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Still not parking it :) In fact, we sold our small car as we both work uptown,same hours, etc...and we are not rich, we just make very decent salaries.

Health care workers were just one example. IT is booming, as are most trades. All of my friends have no issues with careers and are often offered positions locally. They are Pharmacists, lawyers, marine bio, IT pros, sales managers, electricians, rad techs and Physio therapists. They are all doing well. We all studied in NB or NS (and paid for ourselves), then returned to SJ and had jobs waiting. I just don't see the problem....except people keep picking careers, expecting to work locally, without checking job prospects first. Then they act all stunned and surprised when they have to move :)

trinity
04-13-2007, 11:02 AM
I think that some of these posts belong in an "employment" thread. maybe I'll start one.

To go back to the thread topic, the plant is coming whether we want it or not. There was a time and place to protest, but that time has passed. bottom line is we need to cut our energy uses. Unless you live in absolute rural areas or have a pack of kids, NO one but NO One needs an SUV. Hummers should have stayed where they were originally designed for, the outback, desert, mountain areas etc that need vehicles that won't quit in the middle of nowhere.
So what do I do to cut energy uses? When I did lease a new car, I chose an Echo. I currently drive an old clunker that was given to me, but my next lease will be a hybrid or a small car like that. I recycle so much that my garbage is only a small sobeys bag a week, usually consisting of a milk carton (not yet recyclable), used bathroom items like shaving cream cans, feminine hygeine waste, granola bar wrappers (not recyclable due to being aluminized), styrofoam meat trays (which I reuse until broken or use for art projects-paint trays etc) and soiled plastic wrap. I shower only when necessary, which is not daily. I keep my house cool, colder than I would like and wear sweaters and slippers, both of which I personally dislike-I prefer bare feet and no bulky clothes. I use all energy efficient bulbs and lots of times work at the computer by candlelight. I don't run the dishwasher until stuffed absolutely full, even if it means going into the "company" silverware to have a spoon or fork to use. I have been known to grow my own vegetables before to save transport costs, and I don't buy as much fresh produce in the winter, it's my own personal protest about gas wastage shipping that tomato from Mexico to McAllister place. I wear shoes, clothes etc until they wear out, holes in the sole, tears in the toes, heel falls off etc.

sjchickie
04-13-2007, 11:09 AM
Kaj is 100% right. My friend is a nurse and she is moving to alberta and making over 50 an hour where here its 30. with 100% full benefits. I am about to finish my social work degree in Toronto because the need here for social workers is so low. Since 2001 they've hired like 8 workers and something like 129 have graduated. WOW...so why not go to a big city where im gonna start off at 50 grand a year and have full benefits. as opposed to working at the welfare building. NOT what i want to do. I agree that the plant is good for labourers but when the works gone they will be too. This city needs permanent jobs...doctors dont wanna come here, labourers, nurses, socia workers, what is next.

I dunno that is off the track of global warming but its true lol why would i wanna stay here?

Tara
04-13-2007, 11:38 AM
I'm sorry...but where is this abundance of work for trades people here? Get your head out of the sand. Your ignorance is underwhelming. My welder hubby could not get work here, he's in kandahar. My BIL's who are pipefitters couldn't get work here, they're in Alberta. As well as other friends and family members who are iron workers, boilermakers, pipefitters, sheet metal workers, carpenters, etc. GONE. Next summer after my son is done his first year of school we'll have quite a bit saved up from this job and will be living in Alberta as well.

skallywag
04-13-2007, 12:07 PM
I'm not trying to offend anyone here. I just had a chat with my neighbour, who is a home builder. He can't find people. Maybe it's the wages? With the Lepreau upgrade, new refinery coming up, the work is around, or will be. It just depends on your expertise, and how willing you are to retrain. Sheet metal, iron, etc, these jobs have always been cyclical and construction based. Nothing new here. SJ is not just blue collar BTW, which is a good thing..People need to pick careers in GROWTH areas (IT, plumbers, etc), and schools need to stop training people for jobs that do not exist.

Anyway....what was the topic?

skallywag
04-13-2007, 12:09 PM
Took me 1.5 secs to find this:

http://www.careerbeacon.com/advsearch/en/36/1/62/-1/3/MB0702233990

Tara
04-13-2007, 12:18 PM
Little late. He was already in the desert. Besides they already have his resume, proabably quite a few. All he did was hit the pavement dropping off resumes, faxes, emails, etc. I'm quite offended by your "1.5 seconds" comment. Like he didn't bust his ass trying to get something. I think where he's at and the extreme that he went to says what legnths he is willing to go to. He has an excellent resume, lots of courses, qualifications, references etc and they always hire joe blow for 12 bucks an hour.

sjchickie
04-13-2007, 12:21 PM
These jobs you are talking about skally are predominately male jobs. Schools train people for what they WANT to do. You can't do anything with an arts degree around here, or a social work degree, or a teaching degree unless your french, or a kineseology degree. Its just ridiculous. So if new brunswick wants to become land of the trades people thats fine. I know 5 people off the top of my head with degrees who are either working at low paying jobs or at call centers. I love these articles in the paper talking about the growth in this city...then why is it there is so many people who are leaving, cant wait to leave, or have already left.

Not only that but we should be teaching education and not just trades. People need to expand their knowledge. I dunno what this all has to do with Global warming. LOL hahaha we always get off topic somehow:D

skallywag
04-13-2007, 12:38 PM
Male jobs? The friends I listed....half are female. A BA is nothing on it's own. I know, I have one. I also have engineering. You didn't expect to get a job with a BA did you? :)

Sorry if I offended Tara....I am sure you husband explored all avenues.

Anyway...I am tired of typing :) Time to go buy some more solar panels and LED's.

These jobs you are talking about skally are predominately male jobs. Schools train people for what they WANT to do. You can't do anything with an arts degree around here, or a social work degree, or a teaching degree unless your french, or a kineseology degree. Its just ridiculous. So if new brunswick wants to become land of the trades people thats fine. I know 5 people off the top of my head with degrees who are either working at low paying jobs or at call centers. I love these articles in the paper talking about the growth in this city...then why is it there is so many people who are leaving, cant wait to leave, or have already left.

Not only that but we should be teaching education and not just trades. People need to expand their knowledge. I dunno what this all has to do with Global warming. LOL hahaha we always get off topic somehow:D

sjchickie
04-13-2007, 01:10 PM
Skally...listen....you can do LOTS with a BA. I have lived all over this country and experienced several ways of living in several provinces and LOTS of people can do something with a BA. I have worked darn hard for it and anyone who says its not a lot of work is wrong. I am not mathematically inclined so taking a BS doesnt suit me. Its the maritimes, but especially new brunswick. There are no jobs for BA grads here :) I have wanted to be a social worker since i was a little little girl and its just really sad i need to leave here again to find work. guess i shouldnt have come back at all....

I do not like people who feel an arts degree gets you know where. Its 100% false!!!! Unless you live here ;). and if half of your female friends are doing trades jobs thats fine but I do not have a single female friend or family member who is open to doing something like that. Just cause i live in the maritimes doesnt mean i have to segrate myself into that category. IRVING employees LOL is a whole nother discussion :D

skallywag
04-13-2007, 01:23 PM
I never said it was worthless, or easy to obtain. I just think you need to couple it with more education if you plan on getting a decent job locally. In larger centres there are more jobs in all areas. NB is not large, so you need to take that into consideration.

The friends I listed were not in the trades....read my post, all white collar, and NONE work for Irving.

To sum up...there are jos here. It may not be the ideal job, and you may have to go back to school to get a high paying job, but the jobs are here. If you really can't find anything you like, then you should move, but don't forget that our quality of life exceed that of TO and Calgary. Money is not everything..if it was, I would not have just paid $300 for 25 freakin LED light bulbs!! :)

sjchickie
04-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Yes i just spent a bunch of new bulbs to just to see on W5 that they are recalling some of them. I dunno...but I dont think our quality of life exceeds toronto. My child was born there, its a beautiful city with the lowest crime rates in north american( big city wise). It has so much to offer and your right money is not everything. But i refuse to contribute to a monoplized economy. lol Its all a matter of opinion. Ive never been much for this small town living and your right there are jobs...but people need to be happy in there job to succeed in life. dont you think? so maybe these "jobs" that you speak of are decent paying but why take them if you dont feel happy. Personally I want 1 proffession that i do not have to change to suit the mood of the city i live in. and thats the issue with saint john and nb as a whole.

Nice chatting skally i always like a little bit of chit chat on a friday ;)

vanessalynn5484
04-13-2007, 01:41 PM
We have replaced almost all of the lights and lighting fixtures in our apartment building so that it saves energy and money. We also just replaced our water heater & furnace (I think that's the right word for them, I have a landlord so I didn't take care of this myself lol) so that it is now more efficient and wastes less.

We compost, recycle, reuse and try and reduce our own personal use of electricity, water, etc by just being more vigilant.

Tara
04-13-2007, 03:26 PM
I had one of those bulbs burst on me! The very tip had snapped off, and then for some reason I just kept staring at it....then the whole thing shattered into a million pieces! Then it had caught on fire :S I must admit though the plastic on it didn't really melt much, just scorched :|

richunclepennywise
04-13-2007, 08:00 PM
These jobs you are talking about skally are predominately male jobs.

ummmm...isn't that sexist?!?

sjchickie
04-14-2007, 02:58 PM
sexist? See you only quoted a line sir. Labor is predominatley a male job..whats wrong with me saying that. I also said that of every woman i know not one would ever enter that field. Its not sexism its an assumption and a pretty good one at that. Thanks uncle penny wise. BTW is your name got something to do with a playstation game>

daboy
04-14-2007, 03:42 PM
http://www.cleanairfoundation.org/images/logo_caf.gif http://www.cleanairfoundation.org/images/logo_h_mowdownpol.jpg http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/eco/home/en_CA/eco_option_logo.gif

How can you get up to
$100 out of your gas lawnmower this Spring?
Participate in Mow Down Pollution.
Canada’s largest gas lawnmower & trimmer retirement
and recycling program.

April 19-29, 2007 at The Home Depot locations across Canada.

Why return your standard 2-stroke gas lawnmower or trimmer?
Did you know?Using a standard gas mower for one hour can emit the same amount of common air pollutants as driving a new car for almost 600 km!

How Can I Participate?

Drop into SJ Home Depot location from April 19-29, 2007.
Bring in your old working or non-working gas lawnmower or trimmer.
Receive up to $100 rebate on the purchase of a push-reel, electric or low emission lawnmower or trimmer.
No purchase necessary to recycle your gas mower/trimmer.

Since 2001, the Mow Down Pollution program has resulted in the return of over 12,000 mowers and trimmers across Canada and the reduction of over 270 tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions.

www.homedepot.ca/mowdownpollution (http://www.homedepot.ca/mowdownpollution)

PLUS: INSTANT REBATES FOR A VARIETY OF GARDENING PRODUCTS AND ENTER THE CONTEST FOR ULTIMATE HOME AND GARDEN IMPROVEMENT ($1,000.00 IN VALUE)

Tara
04-14-2007, 04:25 PM
I actually sent my resume and diploma to the pipefitters union a few months ago. Mostly for s***s and giggles, but I would do it if they called me.

vanessalynn5484
04-14-2007, 06:44 PM
The job my father does (out west because there was no work here:p) is very dangerous. He works in a small confined space welding. He has many minor injuries from his job and training. Everything from inhaling fumes to getting a piece of metal in his eye.

The worst ever was when a 150lb piece of steel bounced off his leg exposing bone and -insert icky description here-....

Anyways I do not think it is sexist that I, as a woman, personally could not do a job like that. I do not have it in me. :eek: I am sure there are less dangerous labor jobs though that may interest me.