PDA

View Full Version : Rise up against the scourge of cookie exchanges at work!

trinity
12-18-2006, 10:56 AM
Such an innocent-sounding activity, say it sweetly. "Cookie exchange." It conjures fond memories of a fuzzy blue monster, crunching cookies on the screen, and you, safe, warm, 7 years old in your pajamas. That's how old I was when I got this book from Scholastic, The Cookie Book. Meant for children, it has easy instructions and 12 recipes, one for each month. Animal cookies, 4th of July cookies, Christmas cookies. All so pleasant and homemade. It does in no way sound like the marathon of horror that it actually is.
Fast forward to 30 years later. Signed up for a cookie exchange where nuts and chocolate are disallowed due to allergies, I search the book for a recipe that includes neither. I have a vague fond memory of some tasty molasses cookies that my Grammy used to make, so I first set out to make a batch. The finished product, of which I fortunately only made one tester batch, does not resemble the moist, sugary cookies she made, mine look like dung balls and I burned the second pan. So I decide to try the sugar and spice cookies, but before I do, I decide to call work to see if any more people have signed up for the exchange. When I left there were 8 names, including myself. At a half-dozen each, that's 3 1/2 dozen. I can handle that, I thought. Just double the batch, it makes 2 dozen. The voice on the other end of the phone at work says there are now FIFTEEN names on the list. 15? How did that happen? We only have 18 people who work there in total, one is in China, one is on vacation, and one is just starting so she would not even have known about this, this... travesty. So that means EVERY OTHER FRIGGING PERSON has signed up. Now I need 7 1/2 dozen. I had to put on real clothes, go out and get more sugar and flour, I had foolishly thought the half bag of sugar and tiny bag of flour would be enough. Nope, not for a quadruple batch of cookies. It is now almost 11 pm. I am floured, sugared, and exhausted. My kitchen is wrote, my glasses are spattered, and we had to order out for dinner because every surface was covered with cookies in every stage of preparation from bowl of batter to cooling, cooled, sugared, and bagged. (tried to post last night)

alsgal
12-18-2006, 05:49 PM
you made me laugh out loud! We have one of these at our work wednesday. There are only 7 participating, but we have to make a dozen of something. We use the term "cookie exchange" loosely. I am making chocolate mint fudge, another girl peanut butter balls, someone else cheesecake squares. it is really a "Holiday treat" exchange

puppyluv
12-18-2006, 06:19 PM
I cant see why you dont just say NO Trinity if it is something that you feel strongly about not doing.:confused:

Cherry Pop
12-18-2006, 07:39 PM
lol! You should have called me to bake for you. I love to bake and have way too much time on my hands right now! Every few weeks I have been baking for meetings at my church - i usually make 200 cookies and 144 cupcakes and love every minute of it!!

6sixstring6
12-18-2006, 08:27 PM
puppyluv.......I think Trinity wrote that with tongue in cheek. You aparently missed the humor in it.

hdh
12-18-2006, 10:31 PM
*LOL* I laughed hard. I'm in Calgary now and just did my first cookie exchange, taking 9 dozen cookies. I totally feel your pain, I have a brand new Kitchen Aid mixer under the tree that I was not allowed to use. :(

Thanks for the chuckle. Hope the cookies you received were made with as much love.

cornerofeden
12-18-2006, 10:33 PM
i know what you mean Trinity...lol. I had to make 3 dozen for my church. Started 9:30 Fri. morning and finished at 4:30. it is alot of work, no doubt.

trinity
12-19-2006, 01:43 AM
puppyluv.......I think Trinity wrote that with tongue in cheek. You aparently missed the humor in it.

It was meant to be funny, of course I had every opportunity to back out. I just had no memory of how hard it was to make that many. And when the first attempt turned out like that, I was ready to throw in the towel at 3 pm.

puppyluv
12-19-2006, 07:03 AM
sorry trinity..was one of those days.:o
My bad.:(

Ps, I have some flour you can have:p

trinity
12-19-2006, 07:25 AM
No thanks, I now own a 20 lb bag of flour that should last me til about 2010, if the flour weevils don't have it all eaten before then :-)