PDA

View Full Version : Police Scanner

guest729
04-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Anyone heard if the City is switching over to computer scanners in their Police Cars or using newer frequencies anytime soon?

Rickster
04-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Already done and has been for a month or so. They now have about a dozen of these computer units already in cars. More on the way,which is why you will soon see the public police scanners(Bearcats and such) drop down in price very soon in your local Stores !! - Rick.

Lemme_LQQK
04-06-2007, 01:57 AM
Oh my , good luck to the fellow that has one in the Items Fore Sale section...hmmmmm

NoseToTheGrind
04-06-2007, 02:08 AM
Just for the record folks, they do have computers in some of the cars, but the scanner is still as busy as ever, ask anybody who has one.

Rickster
04-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Yes it is as I just informed someone...BUT..you don't get the pertinent info anymore and soon even less. Such as names,address and such. Busy on messy road days with the accidents and all but other than that...??? This should help with the prices on these darn things coming down,hopefully. - Rick.

vanessalynn5484
04-06-2007, 11:27 AM
My grandfather gave me a very old one, but I was babysitting and the little boy got all the dials messed up and I have no idea how to fix it. Maybe it is broken. It would be cool to get it hooked up again....if it even still works.:rolleyes: I know nothing about them really....

T-Diddy
04-06-2007, 01:54 PM
As a scanner junkie for over 20 years I was not impressed when I heard that our Saint John city police were switching over to the "Mobile Data Base" in car system. As bad as it sounds we will still get a lot of the calls, however stuff like checking licence plates, and running names may become a thing of the past. The only good thing is that these computers seem to go down quite a bit, so com-center still has to dispatch the calls over the air most times anyways. Also emergency priority calls like robberies and break and enters get put over the air via the emergency alarm system, so we will still hear those aswell. Most of the police officers now communicate from car to car using the computers also, so we won't hear alot of their conversations like we used too when they used to go to channel 6 to talk....hope this helps

NoseToTheGrind
04-06-2007, 02:00 PM
As T-Diddy says, the in-car computers are down alot more than they are up, which will eventually be fixed im sure...but what I am trying to say Rickster, is as of right this very minute, I can hear names, license info, CNI info (CPIC), they will NEVER do completely away with the radio systems,....and right this second I just heard them conversing while doing a spot check, don't know where yet, but the woman in the Rav 4 just put her seatbelt on when she seen police car....LOL....they still work, and tonight is Friday night AND a holiday, it will sure to be busy. **PERSONAL NOTE** the more they come up with to stop us from hearing, the more things that will come out, that will let us in on it...

Also as the officers have been communicating with each other with the computers, no biggie..they have been doing this for years with cellphones.....nothing major lost..

T-Diddy
04-06-2007, 02:14 PM
That is so true "Nosetothegrind"...we are still hearing alot. I can't see how police would be able to drive and watch their computer screens all the time. Also their out of their cars alot, so they would have to use their mobiles to communicate with each other and com-center.