PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of garbage

Tara
04-02-2007, 08:06 PM
I am getting so sick of people ripping through the garbage bags uptown and crap being tossed all over the place so they can get a couple of bottles!!!!!! I live on Germain Street and my landlord is a slum lord so he of course doesnt pick up the garbage when he's supposed too...or you know...EVER...anyway...so all the garbage is everywhere. *kicks things* It's driving me nuts. I tell them to buzz off and get out of the garbage bags and they just keep going, ripping bigger holes....tossing it on the street as they go. One woman had this trailer thing rigged up to one of those electric scooter things for the disabled and she was hopping around all the bags tearing them apart. I understand some of these people are on hard times or whatever....but...GET OUT OF MY GARBAGE BAGS!!! UGH....rant over.

artemisrane
04-02-2007, 08:54 PM
I don't know if this advice will help or not...

But have you considered keeping your bottles in a cardboard box or some type of container and setting them out with your garbage? Then there would be no need for anyone to rip open your bags and rustle through it.

I do feel for these people as they must be experiencing pretty bad times to be going through someone else's garbage.

Tara
04-02-2007, 08:57 PM
I recycle my bottles so there's none in there, they're just ripping the bags apart for no reason.

Argh.

artemisrane
04-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Well then I guess I didn't help much...

That's a tough situation I am not really sure what you could do.

Tara
04-02-2007, 09:05 PM
Nothing really, I dont think anyway....just more or less needed to vent =/

Cherry Pop
04-02-2007, 10:15 PM
I don't know if this advice will help or not...

But have you considered keeping your bottles in a cardboard box or some type of container and setting them out with your garbage? Then there would be no need for anyone to rip open your bags and rustle through it.

I do feel for these people as they must be experiencing pretty bad times to be going through someone else's garbage.

They will go through the bags anyways. I saw them going into my bags and yelled out the window that there wasn't any bottles in there but I would bring some down (as I recycle them too). I took a whole garbage bag full of bottles down to this guy and he still went through all my garbage. I don't like people going through my garbage it makes me feel like they are looking for something to steal my identity with. I guess I watch too much tv but still.

T4
04-02-2007, 10:19 PM
Beleive it or not it happens all the time. Yes identity theft is a scary thought, but the majority of these people are looking for things of value to "them". Bottles yes will bring them some money, but sometimes they may find shoes, clothing, books etc. I know that they say one mans trash is another mans treasure, but it sure is frustrating!! Another sad thing...sometimes they are also looking for things to keep them warm and yes...gross is the thought....something to eat.

trinity
04-02-2007, 10:58 PM
I always put out a separate bag of actual recyclables, so they know not to bother going through my garbage. I guess the question you want to ask yourself is : would I rather have the 60 cents myself or keep people out of the trash?

Flaxie
04-04-2007, 08:11 AM
The easiest solution for some is just to wait until pick up time to put out your trash. Unfortunately for some this is not feasable due to work schedules but if you are home when these people are rumaging then perhaps your putting your trash out too early?

Tara
04-04-2007, 08:39 AM
The problem is that I have a landlord that doesnt do anything. The other problem is that because I live in a building where there is more than 4 apts in the building he has to have the trash hauled. So of course, it doesnt get done. I have been living here since january 1st, I think the garbage has been taken away...MAX 5 times. There is weeks of Garbage in the alcove or whatever you would call it behind the building.

tjfresh
04-05-2007, 06:01 PM
Here's an Idea, and just a suggestion, why not use clear garbage bags? same price, they can see there are no bottles contained inside, and they'll move on, then if they still rip it open and you catch them, then you can kick they're a.., er, yell at them. lol

vanessalynn5484
04-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Tjfresh may have the best idea yet!

The_Dave
04-05-2007, 06:09 PM
Try waiting to put your garbage out the day they pick it up, if you don't do this already.

vanessalynn5484
04-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Someone already suggested that, but her landlord is slack with garbage pick up.

Tara
04-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Clear garbage bags! genius! HAHA, I'll be buyin those, LOL

Lemme_LQQK
04-06-2007, 01:55 AM
Clear garbage bags! genius! HAHA, I'll be buyin those, LOL

Well then, I guess the answer is *CLEAR* wouldn;t u say?...lol :D

vanessalynn5484
04-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Well then, I guess the answer is *CLEAR* wouldn;t u say?...lol :D*snicker snicker* lol:rofl:

Lemme_LQQK
04-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Well it's trudeau...lol

tjfresh
04-06-2007, 03:49 PM
I am literally LMAO here!

Lemme_LQQK
04-07-2007, 02:31 AM
I am literally LMAO here!

Was it something I said???.......:eek: ......lol " SNORT"

anthony_sinderly
04-07-2007, 10:56 AM
got to love saint john, if its not birds picking the garbage apart its homeless people..we've got it all..and the clear garbage bags are good but what if a homeless person sees a half eating item of food or something? that leads to it being open yet again...lol that was my 2 cents

The_Dave
04-08-2007, 08:34 PM
Clear garbage bags, is that window shopping for some?

dan j
04-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Yesterday, by my place on Duke I saw a lot of garbage already out at 5:45 PM, the night before pick-up. That is unacceptable and I think it even breaks city by-laws.

I put mine out on my way to work in the morning, a couple of hours before pick-up.

No one ever goes through my garbage. I have one bag and it is mostly full of kitty litter scoopings and other nonsense that no one would want to dig into. I compost, recycle, and return my booze and other bottles so there isn't much to my garbage each week. Some weeks I do not even have enough to fill one bag.

Tara
04-11-2007, 03:28 PM
I recycle quite a bit so I only have one garbage bag a week. But I'm happy to say that I was finally able to find a new place for May 1st so I won't have to go through this anymore!

vanessalynn5484
04-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Good for you Tara I am happy to hear it. I wish you the best of luck with the move! :D

Sally-girl
04-11-2007, 10:19 PM
We can take all measures to get the homeless people out of our garbabe, but the real problem is that the majority of Saint Johners don't care about their property and what it looks like. If you see a littered timmies cup on the ground, you pick it up and not complain that the city is not doing it's job. Saint John is a wonderful city and I've lived in many cities in the Maritimes but Saint John is by far my favourite with the fog and all. You will never find nicer people than the great folks in Saint John. It is indeed the oldest city in Canada, and has many historical qualities, but some people seem to think that it's very old and run down. Visiting neighbourhoods like the old north end can be be quite depressing to a newcomer I'm not making this comment to bash Saint John, because I truly love this city, but simply trying make a point that a lot of people don't take care of this wonderful city, and you won't find any other place in this province where there is garbage all over the streets. Is it the city's responsibility or the people's???

Flaxie
04-12-2007, 07:56 AM
I agree with you completely Sally.
I love this city and think it's horrible to see the mess that some people feel free to leave in their wake. This time of year makes it all the more noticable as now that the snow is melted we are seeing months worth of litter, and the cigarette butts too. I've decided that I am going to start carrying a litter bag with me on my way home from work. My kids and I travel by bus. I am constantly pointing out to my kids how gross the litter looks and why it is important not to be a part of the problem. It's about time I showed them how to be a part of the solution. Thanks for the wake up call ;)