PDA

View Full Version : Anyone actually do those online courses?

Bluepowder30
04-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Hey all, just wondering if anyone has any experience doing those online correspondence courses. Just how legit are they and do employees actually recognize them when it comes to hiring? I am thinking of doing an online course from ICS Canada but have no background info at all. Thanks in advance!

dally
04-03-2007, 01:33 AM
Well I enrolled in one last year through ICS (they are out of Quebec).Gardening and landscaping. The total cost was $600. After studing for a couple of months I realized how familiar the reading was. I went down to Coles and discovered that the book that I paid $600 for could be purchased for $39.99. It was the Readers digest gardening in canada book. Needless to say I wasn't impressed. I phoned nbcc and found out that the ICS course was not recognized. I didn't finish the course, got my money back and got the book from Coles.

Someone else I know thought of taking the mechanic course and it is not recognized in our province. I don't know if any of the others are recognized but that's two that aren't. If you are looking to take a computer course a great place to go is some of the high schools. I can't think what it's called right at this moment but Harbour View has it. You pay $20 per session and your course comes from unb-fredericton.

Hope that helps some

kaj27
04-03-2007, 07:57 AM
If it sounds too good. It is.

cherie001
04-10-2007, 07:21 PM
I did the ics course also, but I didn't find out they were no good until I did the second course.....ggggrrr...money down the drain...took my high school and then medical/dental office assistant....when I went to enroll in a course for work was when I found out they were not recongnized here. I would suggest before taking any online or correspondense courses that you call the university and ask them if they recognize them first.