PDA

View Full Version : Kids growing up in and around the city.

dollydoo
04-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Does anyone believe that a child born in the North End will be a Bad Kid? Or do you think that it is a stupid remark that people say as they think only bad of North? I mean my best friend and i were talking about this subject and almost every young girl in the north end is pregnant and still home that she grew up with. yet there are some who are doing good for themselves like us. However, there are people who look at us and say you got to get out of the north end or your daughter will be like all the other kids. Just looking for other opinions. So again do you think a child will become like every other child where they grow up? This should be good. Also, do you think a child who's parent is on income assistance will grow up to do the same or want to better themselves? That should be a good one for Dave to answer. Please don't get heated over this.

djchopper6969
04-01-2007, 01:59 PM
I think it is a sterotype. I lived east (forset hills) when I was younger and the girls over there were just as bad as the north end girls. Two girls even had babies in junior high so it doesn't matter to me where your from, you are who you are.
And as far as the assistance thing I don't believe that is true either for instance my cousin was on assistance most of her son's young life and he is out working making more money then she is (she is working now). I would like to think that people on assistance are on it for a reason, like they are unable to work and in a case like that, it is not that they do not want to work but that it is unhealthy to do so, and therefore it would be possible to instill the kids with a positive outlook into the work force.

dollydoo
04-01-2007, 02:08 PM
That is what i said. I agree with you on the growing up. I also agree with the assistance statement as well. Let's see what others think.

adm
04-01-2007, 02:13 PM
Children learn what they live - plain and simple. If a child lives with ignorance they will learn ignorance. If a child lives with educated parents they are more likely to go to university and be educated themselves. Doctors spawn doctors. Presidents spawn presidents. Welfare parents spawn welfare parents.

That is not to say that a child living in the slums or in a welfare neighbourhood does not have the opportunity to break the mold. The have more going against them, but with perserverence and determination, anything can happen. The same is true for 'priviliged' children, there's nothing to say that they wont end up on the streets shooting drugs up their veins and begging for food.

djchopper6969
04-01-2007, 02:16 PM
really though just look at all the movie stars out there doing nothing useful with their money just putting it up their noses

Cherry Pop
04-01-2007, 03:04 PM
Does anyone believe that a child born in the North End will be a Bad Kid? Or do you think that it is a stupid remark that people say as they think only bad of North? I mean my best friend and i were talking about this subject and almost every young girl in the north end is pregnant and still home that she grew up with. yet there are some who are doing good for themselves like us. However, there are people who look at us and say you got to get out of the north end or your daughter will be like all the other kids. Just looking for other opinions. So again do you think a child will become like every other child where they grow up? This should be good. Also, do you think a child who's parent is on income assistance will grow up to do the same or want to better themselves? That should be a good one for Dave to answer. Please don't get heated over this.

The whole pregnant thing I believe has more to do with being friends with each other than living in the same area such as the north end. Young girls (and guys) are under a lot of pressure to be doing what all their friends are doing that I believe is why they get pregnant.

Deanie
04-01-2007, 03:05 PM
My husband and I went for a drive through the north end today and made the comment " I can't imagine raising a child here".( i know i'm going to get flack over this) there were kids running around still in their jammies at 2pm, half dressed, sitting all over the side walks, steps etc....there was garbage everywhere and old mangy dogs and cats wandering about. The poor kids looked starved and filthy. Now i'm not saying every kid in the north end is like this, i'm sure there are plenty of well kept children, but the ones I saw, I just wanted to take home and give them a bath and a good home cooked meal!!

friskytigress
04-01-2007, 04:06 PM

I really believe that if people see there is a problem in their community they can do something to change it. It is not north end that is bad but some of the people living there that make it bad. Crack down and don't let it go on, get a group and clean the area's you live in.:D When i moved here from dalhousie i didn't know the city and ended up in south end eveyone said get out of there it's bad ect, ect and after awhile i made the move to quispamsis but looking back i never had any trouble there and the area was good because we cleaned up that street well ,by talking to the landlords and getting together for clean ups, our street looked great:D . On another note my best friend grow up in north end on income and turned out great she now has a great job and husband and turned out well:D just do screening on who your children hang out with ,check their parents out and there homes that's your right as a parent if your child wants to hang out there:o I think north is like anywere else you meet some dam good people and you also just meet some dam people lol:o

artemisrane
04-01-2007, 04:24 PM
I used to date a guy who lived in the north end blvds. His neighbors, for the most part, were great. They all looked out for one another and if anyone needed help they were there in a pinch. However, there were a few bad seeds.

Also I have seen my fair share of neglectful parenting down there. More so than other part of the city, but I think that is just because there is a lot of families in a concentrated area. It has more to do with the parents than what part of the city they are living in. Children need supervision, love, and boundaries. They also need consistency and punishment when they break rules. Parents need to be the role model and the authority. If your parents are not around you are going to look to someone else for guidance and that may be the wrong person such an older boyfriend or rebellious friend. Children will look for attention and acceptance elsewhere if they are not getting it from home.

I have been walking through the north end, after dark, and had a boy approach me (must have been about 7 years old) and he asked me I could be his mommy because his treated him badly! I wanted to break down crying right there. I've also seen a group of preteens carrying around their baby sister like she was a doll and the mother or father no where to bee seen, and children barefoot in their swimsuits in the rain playing with no supervision in "the bad part" of the northend. If I knew where there parents were I would have brought them home to them. That makes me so angry....I know what it's like to fend for yourself as a child and I just do not understand how people can mistreat or neglect their children and still sleep at night.

I think the best thing to make sure a child who is parented within the assistance program breaks the cycle is education. I know a brilliant UNB student who is basically a mathematical genius & his mother is on assistance and has been for years (she is disabled.) He grew up surrounded by people who were on assistance and in the north end. He also does not do drugs, drink, or break the law. He was busted for drinking once by his mom, but he felt so bad he has never since done it again! His mom threatened to bring his old youth pastor down to have a talking to him too heh heh;)

T4
04-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Wow, this could turn into a heated thread, but lets hope not!! First of all I believe that ignorance,dope heads, welfare recipients, and success can come from ANY walk of life. I don't believe that because you "come" from a certain stereotype, that you will not have success in your life. Things happen in peoples lives and sometimes unexpectedly. The son/daughter of a doctor can end up an addict of types, the child of a welfare recipient can end up the head of an large corporation, and a child that becomes a racist/bigot can come from a home that never had issues with such.

There are people that will say "that will NEVER, happen to me", I always tell people, to "never say NEVER". I think that if a person/child has dreams, aspirations then they will make it happen no matter WHERE they are from.

Rickster
04-01-2007, 10:45 PM
Jesue chrisue ,lol, Hasn't the North - end been "bashed" around enough and now it's pregnant 'stupid girls' and I only mean that as a response that your friends obviously didn't use protection in this day and age,that IS Stupid !! Young people still believe that they are invincible in so much that they could never contract viruses from a guy that age that has to have at least 2-3 girls on the side anyway and their two friends,and so on and so on ??It's not the area to blame , but the in-home education or lack of, that is to blame !! So one should stop looking to place their blame or responsiblities on someone other than yourself or your 'parents' !!! -Rick.

rhiley_08j
04-02-2007, 10:30 AM
My husband and I went for a drive through the north end today and made the comment " I can't imagine raising a child here".( i know i'm going to get flack over this) there were kids running around still in their jammies at 2pm, half dressed, sitting all over the side walks, steps etc....there was garbage everywhere and old mangy dogs and cats wandering about. The poor kids looked starved and filthy. Now i'm not saying every kid in the north end is like this, i'm sure there are plenty of well kept children, but the ones I saw, I just wanted to take home and give them a bath and a good home cooked meal!!
i live on metcalf street and this whole section i live on cant be where you were!i know EVERY parent on this street and our kids our clean and well fed nor are we all on welfare!we live here because its affordable.i have some pretty amazing neighbours up and down this street plus on main and victoria.Open your eyes a little wider and see how well dressed most of us keep our kids and how happy and chubby they are!you can drive in almost any street in the city and see hungry kids!

rhiley_08j
04-02-2007, 10:32 AM
Wow, this could turn into a heated thread, but lets hope not!! First of all I believe that ignorance,dope heads, welfare recipients, and success can come from ANY walk of life. I don't believe that because you "come" from a certain stereotype, that you will not have success in your life. Things happen in peoples lives and sometimes unexpectedly. The son/daughter of a doctor can end up an addict of types, the child of a welfare recipient can end up the head of an large corporation, and a child that becomes a racist/bigot can come from a home that never had issues with such.

There are people that will say "that will NEVER, happen to me", I always tell people, to "never say NEVER". I think that if a person/child has dreams, aspirations then they will make it happen no matter WHERE they are from.Well SAID !!!!

Rickster
04-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Hey Deannie; I think you were driving around South-End , LOL,lol,lol. - Rick.Lived North most of my life and unless it was garbage day(thursday) then you WERE in the wrong area !!Shame on you for the big tales(children in pj's late at night on the streets,Shame !!

Cherry Pop
04-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Funny thing is I've been to the mall out east in the middle of the day and see kids in shopping carts still in PJs.

Tara
04-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Hey Deannie; I think you were driving around South-End , LOL,lol,lol. - Rick.Lived North most of my life and unless it was garbage day(thursday) then you WERE in the wrong area !!Shame on you for the big tales(children in pj's late at night on the streets,Shame !!

You're joking right....I am in the north end a lot and I see it regularly...as well as uptown/south where I live

sjchickie
04-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Funny you say you see it regularly. I have lived North now for about 5 months and Have seen minimal and i mean minimal trouble and "dirty un-kept children". People steretype but lets face facts this is saint john people. If you were to go to halifax, montreal, or Toronto the abundance of children that your talking about would seem a lot more real. Dont get me wrong there are poor and bad children in this city but its not as bad as some make it out to be first off and SECONDLY they are all over the city. When I lived at park place apartments which is very east side out by simonds high (when i first moved back here from TO) my god that place is a breeding ground for kids who arent looked after. It was awful day after day i would sit with my daughter on our balconies and kids would play outside for hours and looked as if they hadnt bathed all weekend. But who is to say they didnt have a bath this morning.

I dont think north end is that bad. You say tara that you see it all the time...well its been winter for sometime now and trust me its to cold for all those trouble makers to be out. Of course there is trouble over here but its not all about welfare. INFACT I know a police officers SON who just recently got kicked out his high school for being a bully and thats not north end. North sure has its downsides as its a confined area with many different walks of life, but its not all of us overhere and i think its more of a transitional place for people wanting to do more. When im graduated University we will be leaving the north end and the city but even if i chose to stay eventually i would want more for my family. However i do think under the right circumstances that North end could be a beautiful old neighbourhood!!!! AS for the south end...its not all south its part of it...south end can be increbibly expensive to live in so id like to see what welfare "bums" are in those spots.

rhiley_08j
04-02-2007, 11:46 AM
thank god im not the only one who can see the good and the bad in this area!!these are problems in all neighbourhoods and ALL walks of life!not just the north end!

Deanie
04-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Umm I don't recall saying I saw them late at night, this was about 1pm (pm means afternoon :P).....and I was north i'm sure of it Rick. Anyway, didn't mean JUST the north end, just happened to be whre I was yesterday. I can remember ppl down the street from us having dirty kids when I grew up and I lived in KV>

dittydottie
04-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Well as for the pj issue I have been in the South EWnd picking up my granddsaughter at school and there is a mother who son is in grade 2 or 3 and she comes everyday in her pj pants to meet him(not sure of the top she always wear a jacket),also one day I was east sitting in my car enjoying my morning capichinno and a car parked beside me and therer were 2 women in their pjs and one got out of the car and went in. So people it does not matter where you live you see it everywhere.

sjchickie
04-02-2007, 12:17 PM
Im sorry i just have to ask....My roommate and i have been reading this post over and over. What is lord's name is so wrong with being in your PJ's and going out somewhere???? I think on a sunday afternoon heading to timmys if i wanna wear my PJ's and pick up my friend in her pj's why the heck not. As for kids i guess it depends on the situation but this is 2007 jammies ROCK and they are very IN

Tara
04-02-2007, 12:20 PM
Funny you say you see it regularly. I have lived North now for about 5 months and Have seen minimal and i mean minimal trouble and "dirty un-kept children". People steretype but lets face facts this is saint john people. If you were to go to halifax, montreal, or Toronto the abundance of children that your talking about would seem a lot more real. Dont get me wrong there are poor and bad children in this city but its not as bad as some make it out to be first off and SECONDLY they are all over the city. When I lived at park place apartments which is very east side out by simonds high (when i first moved back here from TO) my god that place is a breeding ground for kids who arent looked after. It was awful day after day i would sit with my daughter on our balconies and kids would play outside for hours and looked as if they hadnt bathed all weekend. But who is to say they didnt have a bath this morning.

I dont think north end is that bad. You say tara that you see it all the time...well its been winter for sometime now and trust me its to cold for all those trouble makers to be out. Of course there is trouble over here but its not all about welfare. INFACT I know a police officers SON who just recently got kicked out his high school for being a bully and thats not north end. North sure has its downsides as its a confined area with many different walks of life, but its not all of us overhere and i think its more of a transitional place for people wanting to do more. When im graduated University we will be leaving the north end and the city but even if i chose to stay eventually i would want more for my family. However i do think under the right circumstances that North end could be a beautiful old neighbourhood!!!! AS for the south end...its not all south its part of it...south end can be increbibly expensive to live in so id like to see what welfare "bums" are in those spots.

Ummmm you are being incredibly definsive and jumping down my "throat" for no reason. You just made this whole spew of two paragraphs for no reason. You just blabbered on and defended a bunch of crap i said nothing about. In fact I think this is the second time you've done this to me. I said something, and you think that say a whole lot of other things...when they havent been said. I really don't appreciate it.

artemisrane
04-02-2007, 12:27 PM
PJs is one thing...

It was the unsupervised part that ticked me off. If they were with their parents playing in the rain wearing swimsuits and barefoot that would be a different thing. What if a dirty pervert found them? I do not even want to think about it.

The north end is not as bad as people believe. A lot of people who were born and raised in different parts of the city believe the stereo-types. Like I said most of it's problems are due to the small area and large amount of people living there. There is good quality people there and people who are transitioning for sure, but the low rent is an attraction for low lifes I am sure. Unfortunately that is just how the world works.

There are bad and good people everywhere, this is true.

rhiley_08j
04-02-2007, 12:59 PM
i think pjs rock all the time!:rofl: just ask my hubby,he gets mad when i wear mine in public!!:eek: when i child is wearing jammies because they dont have a choice is one thing but my 10 year old daughter and all her friends think its great to wear them out!!

rhiley_08j
04-02-2007, 01:01 PM
Im sorry i just have to ask....My roommate and i have been reading this post over and over. What is lord's name is so wrong with being in your PJ's and going out somewhere???? I think on a sunday afternoon heading to timmys if i wanna wear my PJ's and pick up my friend in her pj's why the heck not. As for kids i guess it depends on the situation but this is 2007 jammies ROCK and they are very IN
i love you!!!someone who agrees with me!!:rofl: im gonna show this to my hubby for sure!!

tony_s
04-02-2007, 01:24 PM
I really must have good blinders on cause most of this stuff that is mentioned i dont see .I have lived on Victorias St for about 18 yrs now raised 2 good kids not angels but good kids yes my daughter made a mistake had a baby but she is dealing with it she goes to school she works and plans on attending nbcc .Im not going to fool anyone yes there is drug dealers but i think you go to any part of the city there is the drug dealers.And as far as the pjs they are the in thing now I even find myself wearing them when having just one of those bumming around days.And as far as kids running around what woould you have them do stay in the house or apt 24-7 .When my kids were small all of us pertaining to the neighbors with kids would have them out playing and the parents were there to supervise them.And may i point out the drug dealers would not come around the kids and if they did they were very friendly to the kids and not do there business around them.The point is or the rant is the north end is not all that bad its just a few that see it that way.Get to know us were not that bad

rhiley_08j
04-02-2007, 02:11 PM
I really must have good blinders on cause most of this stuff that is mentioned i dont see .I have lived on Victorias St for about 18 yrs now raised 2 good kids not angels but good kids yes my daughter made a mistake had a baby but she is dealing with it she goes to school she works and plans on attending nbcc .Im not going to fool anyone yes there is drug dealers but i think you go to any part of the city there is the drug dealers.And as far as the pjs they are the in thing now I even find myself wearing them when having just one of those bumming around days.And as far as kids running around what woould you have them do stay in the house or apt 24-7 .When my kids were small all of us pertaining to the neighbors with kids would have them out playing and the parents were there to supervise them.And may i point out the drug dealers would not come around the kids and if they did they were very friendly to the kids and not do there business around them.The point is or the rant is the north end is not all that bad its just a few that see it that way.Get to know us were not that bad
i agree neighbour,im on metcalf and dont mind living here at all.as for drug dealers when i lived in redhead guess what my neighbours sold,,wasnt candy!

trinity
04-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Well as for the pj issue I have been in the South EWnd picking up my granddsaughter at school and there is a mother who son is in grade 2 or 3 and she comes everyday in her pj pants to meet him(not sure of the top she always wear a jacket),also one day I was east sitting in my car enjoying my morning capichinno and a car parked beside me and therer were 2 women in their pjs and one got out of the car and went in. So people it does not matter where you live you see it everywhere.

are you sure it wasn't some of those "flannel pants" that LOOK like Pjs? I saw a guy on the bus one day looking like he was going to work with a lunch bag-he was wearing plaid flannel pants and matching shirt, jacket, t shirt and sneakers. didn't have the heart to tell him that he looked ready for bed lol. also my mom used to drive us to school in her PJ's if we overslept, the only difference was she refused to get out of the car and be seen.

trinity
04-02-2007, 03:36 PM
PJs is one thing...

It was the unsupervised part that ticked me off. If they were with their parents playing in the rain wearing swimsuits and barefoot that would be a different thing. What if a dirty pervert found them? I do not even want to think about it.
There are bad and good people everywhere, this is true.

I do wonder how people were so sure they were "unsupervised"- my mother used to let me go play in the yard and sit in the kitchen having tea or washing dishes and watch me out of the two or three windows with the back door open and just the screen door closed-if anyone came near me she would have flown out that door. As far as in swimsuits in the rain, FUN! i used to wear my swimsuit in the yard with a towel pinned around my neck and no shoes, just red knee socks, and pretend i was a superhero! (i bet it was darn hard on my knee socks, we didn't have much of a lawn, just gravel and rocks)

cherie001
04-02-2007, 03:57 PM
I agree with tony_s, I lived on Victoria street for 7 years and it isn't as bad as people say it is. like anywhere else in this city you have your good and you have your bad... as for how your kids will grow up depends on how you raise them. As a parent it is your responsibility to teach them morals, and how to deal with peer pressure, and to take responsibilty for there actions. Girls have been having babies at a young age for decades, this isn't a new thing.

dittydottie
04-02-2007, 04:15 PM
As for the girls getting pregnant issue, I remember when I was in high school (1977-1980) I went to Saint John High School and a girl got pregnant and was not permitted to stay in school.Now here we are 27 years later and there is day cares in some schools for the girls who have given birth. Hello world this is 2007 and a whole lot has changed everything is more open now,you don't have to hide or go away and have a baby if you are young.
As for the pj issue I am not saying it is wrong to wear them outdoors I was only stating what I did because it was being seen as it just being kids wearing them out. I myself just started wearing them and I find them very comfortable.

friskeywhiskey
04-02-2007, 06:06 PM

No I do not believe that a child born in the North End will be a bad kid nor any other inner city area for that matter. No a child who grows up on income assistance will not neccessarily do the same.
However, growing up in an inner city area be it south end, north end, lower west, etc. does have its challenges for children and parents. Yes there does appear to be more problems with children in these areas for whatever reasons they may be. How your child turns out (no matter what your circumstances are) starts with you as a parent instilling good morales, values, expectations for behaviour, consistent consequences for undesirable behaviours, knowing your childs friends and their parents, suitable supervision for the child's age, etc. basically good parenting on the parent(s) part.

Unforunately children do not come with a instruction manual and sometimes we as parents may not have had the best parents ourselves (whether we know this or not) therefore How do we know how to do this properly ourselves if we were to learn only by example?

All we as parents can do is educate ourselves! With child development books and parenting books then it is trial and error from there.

It is too bad that as a parent we are given the most important job of our life but we are allowed to do this job blind with no job training and job specific education prior.

sjchickie
04-02-2007, 06:27 PM
Oh tara...how little you know me. I wasnt being defensive or jumping down your throat? My post had nothing to do with you i was merley saying that you said you see it all the time both north and south and i rebutted to that. It had nothing directly to do with you because what do i have to be defensive about????? I lived east side growing up and then i moved out of new brunswick at 17 and just came back so if you think im sticking up for north end your wrong. LOL....Its just common sense. It has nothing to do with whatever part of town as ive lived in much bigger towns than this, I also had experiences with the Toronto shelter system and I just think that kids here have it much better and those who don't shouldnt be stereotyped to the north end.

If anyone is being defensive its you!!!! for A)making a mountain out of a molehill as they saying goes and B) bringing up things from prior posts that I dont even really remember. I wasnt babbling on about anything infact some people agreed with my post. I was only laughing at the quote you said from rick and then said "are you joking, Ive been in the north end and seen it regularly"....You were the one being rude to rick and now me. So seriously no offence to you but your being a little bit silly. Take a breather tara

Oh and PS tara in the 5 months I've lived here ive seen nothing so that just disproves your statement. Friendly chat is all. Its a forum dont get so upset :)

Tara
04-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Oh tara...how little you know me. I wasnt being defensive or jumping down your throat? My post had nothing to do with you i was merley saying that you said you see it all the time both north and south and i rebutted to that. It had nothing directly to do with you because what do i have to be defensive about????? I lived east side growing up and then i moved out of new brunswick at 17 and just came back so if you think im sticking up for north end your wrong. LOL....Its just common sense. It has nothing to do with whatever part of town as ive lived in much bigger towns than this, I also had experiences with the Toronto shelter system and I just think that kids here have it much better and those who don't shouldnt be stereotyped to the north end.

If anyone is being defensive its you!!!! for A)making a mountain out of a molehill as they saying goes and B) bringing up things from prior posts that I dont even really remember. I wasnt babbling on about anything infact some people agreed with my post. I was only laughing at the quote you said from rick and then said "are you joking, Ive been in the north end and seen it regularly"....You were the one being rude to rick and now me. So seriously no offence to you but your being a little bit silly. Take a breather tara

Oh and PS tara in the 5 months I've lived here ive seen nothing so that just disproves your statement. Friendly chat is all. Its a forum dont get so upset :)

MMmmmmm, right.....*raises eyebrow* You need to settle down.

sjchickie
04-02-2007, 07:19 PM
How so? LOL. I merley stated my opinion and you twisted it. raise your internet eyebrow all you want, the general consensus is that the people agree with what i wrote. Sorry you think the north end is trashy. Do not ever move to a big city it would eat u up alive

adm
04-02-2007, 07:24 PM
I reiterate:

Children learn what they live - plain and simple. If a child lives with ignorance they will learn ignorance. If a child lives with educated parents they are more likely to go to university and be educated themselves. Doctors spawn doctors. Presidents spawn presidents. Welfare parents spawn welfare parents.

That is not to say that a child living in the slums, inner city, or in a welfare neighbourhood does not have the opportunity to break the mold. The have more going against them, but with perserverence and determination, anything can happen. The same is true for 'priviliged' children, there's nothing to say that they wont end up on the streets shooting drugs up their veins and begging for food.

There is a reason why these circles of life exist. That's the reality of the world.

No I do not believe that a child born in the North End will be a bad kid nor any other inner city area for that matter. No a child who grows up on income assistance will not neccessarily do the same.
However, growing up in an inner city area be it south end, north end, lower west, etc. does have its challenges for children and parents. Yes there does appear to be more problems with children in these areas for whatever reasons they may be. How your child turns out (no matter what your circumstances are) starts with you as a parent instilling good morales, values, expectations for behaviour, consistent consequences for undesirable behaviours, knowing your childs friends and their parents, suitable supervision for the child's age, etc. basically good parenting on the parent(s) part.

Tara
04-02-2007, 07:28 PM
How so? LOL. I merley stated my opinion and you twisted it. raise your internet eyebrow all you want, the general consensus is that the people agree with what i wrote. Sorry you think the north end is trashy. Do not ever move to a big city it would eat u up alive

I didn't say the nouth end was trashy. Please find that exact phrase in my post. Settle down. You need to relax.

sunnyj
04-02-2007, 07:34 PM
I believe that a child's environment will have a direct impact on their future. Everything the child experiences will somehow effect the outcome of their lives. Children learn by example, whether it be good or bad. When a child watches the mother never work, how would a mother instill a good work ethic on the child? If a child grows up in a dirty home, how would they learn good housekeeping skills? When a child watches violence in the home, how would they learn to discuss problems without resorting to violence? A parent is the most important role model in a child's life. This does not mean that the north end or the south end are " bad ", bad parents are in all areas... But the point of the welfare... well, yeah, many kids who grow up on welfare end up on welfare. This is because they have never witnessed good work ethic! Welfare is there as a transition... I think we can all appreciate that some people fall on hard times, and that is what welfare is there for. It is NOT there for the people who choose it as a career... and there are many of them out there... Living with the working boyfriend, getting pregnant to get a bigger family allowance... sitting around for years and years with no ambition to ever get off the system. How are those children ever going to learn the importance of an education, or the importance of a good work ethic? Kind of ranting now... lol

rhiley_08j
04-02-2007, 07:41 PM
i agree with you sj,,you just have to trust you are raising your children the right way!

sunnyj
04-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Thought I had better add something... when I am talking about people on welfare, I am NOT talking about people that are sick, or are going to school, or doing SOMETHING to better themselves. I am ONLY talking about people that are sitting on the couch doing nothing... many of them out there.. and if anyone takes offence to that... GROW UP and GET A JOB LIKE THE REST OF US!

krista25
04-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Well said sunnyj!

I am so sick and tired of seeing people take advantage of assistance.
It is there as a helping hand....not a lifeline! Hell, I am a collage student and they make more money then I do!

This is referring to the people who take advantage of it....I know there are people who do need the help, and there is nothing wrong with it.

As for the whole noth end subject....I have lived in the north end all my life. I think that in alot of cases, you imitate what you see. I am not saying that is the case for everyone, there are definatley exceptions. However, that seems to be the trend:) And the north end isn't all bad, it has it's bad spots and good spots....just like every other neighbourhood.
My parents raised us in the north end, my mom stayed at home and took care of the 3 of us, my dad has always worked, all of us are grown up with no children yet, we have never been on assistance, two of us are attending NBCC to ensure our future and the third one will be joining us next year. We have had an amazing example of love and responsibility all our lives, and that is why I think we turned out the way we did. I think that if we hadn't had such great parents, we wouldn't be who we are today. Like I said, I believe we imitate what we see.

artemisrane
04-02-2007, 08:57 PM
I am pretty darn sure they were unsupervised. They were off away from the housing units and no adults were in sight. No one appeared close enough to help if someone were to have driven up and grabbed a child.

I do not think it is only the north end where this takes place....

Tara
04-02-2007, 09:06 PM
But apparently I think so! Huzzah!

sjchickie
04-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Thanks Rhiley.:D I dunno Its nothing to get excited over. I just think that there is good in all people and that no matter what part of the city you live in there is trouble. Some is just more chit chatted about then others. I just think there are more than one kind of irresponsible parents. Lots of working, dual income families ignore their children they may not be living in poor and dirty conditions but they are still being neglected in one way or another but because they live in a nice house and drive nice cars you never hear about it. No one wants to her about the middle class people beat their kids. Its shrugged off and considered isolated. I dunno hard to explain but regardless of where this children of saint john grow up I think they have a much better chance than those living in some of the gang ridden parts of Toronto. Kids living here a lucky in many ways!!!!

rhiley_08j
04-02-2007, 09:48 PM
thats so true sj and you dont have to go as far as toronto you see alot of it in places like halifax!hours away!!

Cherry Pop
04-02-2007, 10:01 PM

I pretty much agree with this but I do have one thing to say "Don't let Clinton & Stacy find you out in Pjs" Ha Ha! Or let them cause then you'll get a new $5000 wardrobe!!!

magoosmomma
04-03-2007, 07:37 AM
I pretty much agree with this but I do have one thing to say "Don't let Clinton & Stacy find you out in Pjs" Ha Ha! Or let them cause then you'll get a new $5000 wardrobe!!!
haahaa

I would let them find me.lol