PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to cry??

mommahas2babies
03-30-2007, 11:30 PM
HOw could you

When I was a puppy I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You called me your child and despite a number of chewed shoes and a couple of murdered throw pillows, I became your best friend. Whenever I was "bad," you'd shake your finger at me and ask "How could you?" - but then you'd relent and roll me over for a bellyrub.

My housetraining took a little longer than expected, because you were terribly busy, but we worked on that together. I remember those nights of nuzzling you in bed, listening to your confidences and secret dreams, and I believed that life could not be any more perfect. We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice cream (I only got the cone because "ice cream is bad for dogs," you said), and I took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come home at the end of the day.

Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more time searching for a human mate. I waited for you patiently, comforted you through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad decisions, and romped with glee at your homecomings, and when you fell in love.

She, now your wife, is not a "dog person" - still I welcomed her into our home, tried to show her affection, and obeyed her. I was happy because you were happy. Then the human babies came along and I shared your excitement. I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them, too. Only she and you worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my time banished to another room, or to a dog crate. Oh, how I wanted to love them, but I became a "prisoner of love."

As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them, especially their touch - because your touch was now so infrequent - and I would have defended them with my life if need be.

I would sneak into their beds and listen to their worries and secret dreams. Together we waited for the sound of your car in the driveway. There had been a time, when others asked you if you had a dog, that you produced a photo of me from your wallet and told them stories about me. These past few years, you just answered "yes" and changed the subject. I had gone from being your dog to "just a dog," and you resented every expenditure on my behalf.

Now you have a new career opportunity in another city and you and they will be moving to an apartment that does not allow pets. You've made the right decision for your "family," but there was a time when I was your only family.

I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter. It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, of hopelessness. You filled out the paperwork and said "I know you will find a good home for her." They shrugged and gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a middle-aged dog or cat, even one with "papers."

You had to pry your son's fingers loose from my collar as he screamed "No, Daddy! Please don't let them take my dog!" And I worried for him and what lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and responsibility, and about respect for all life. You gave me a goodbye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely refused to take my collar and leash with you. You had a deadline to meet and now I have one, too.

After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably knew about your upcoming move months ago and made no attempt to find me another good home. They shook their heads and asked "How could you?"

They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my appetite days ago. At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was you - that you had changed your mind - that this was all a bad dream...or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who might save me. When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and waited.

I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day and I padded along the aisle after her to a separate room. A blissfully quiet room. She placed me on the table, rubbed my ears and told me not to worry. My heart pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of days. As is my nature, I was more concerned about her. The burden which she bears weighs heavily on her and I know that, the same way I knew your every mood.

She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I used to comfort you so many years ago. She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting and the cool liquid coursing through my body, I lay down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured "How could you?"

Perhaps because she understood my dogspeak, she said "I'm so sorry." She hugged me and hurriedly explained it was her job to make sure I went to a better place, where I wouldn't be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to fend for myself - a place of love and light so very different from this earthly place. With my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her with a thump of my tail that my "How could you?" was not meant for her. It was you, My Beloved Master, I was thinking of. I will think of you and wait for you forever.

May everyone in your life continue to show you so much loyalty.

I got this off the SPCA website and had to pass it along....

drakelogan
03-31-2007, 10:49 AM
My heart just melts when i read stuff like this however, there is part of me that does become very very angry....Not that i care to air my laundry but I'll do it anyways to make a point !! I have recently fallen on hard times....off with an injury and not working in almost 2 years has blead me dry financialy. So i have come to a decision that i must give my home up and move to an apartment....and believe it or not that was not even the scarey part for me, it was the thought of my cat and 2 dogs...I never for one moment thought of giving them up because it is very difficult to find an apartment that will allow them...I just knew that i'd live in a baby barn if I had to in order to keep them...and i'm not joking I would have become the next Bubbles...lol...I have found an apartment that allows my pets of course....not my taste however, my familly will be in tact and that means more to me than the house the bank will forclose on or the new car i'll no longer drive or the credit cards i'll no longer have use of....at the hardest time in my life I manged to feel like the luckiest man alive because not only am I there for them but they are there for me !! They may not understand why i'm crying or upset but they are there to support me through this hard time and I would never have considered getting rid of them or putting them down....they know they are loved and wherever I am that is there home....they make it a home !!

adm
03-31-2007, 12:33 PM
I hope everyone who is giving away pets reads this story. I doubt they will, though. It's probably too long to keep their attention - much like the pets they acquire without thinking of the long term responsibility.

ceg
03-31-2007, 12:53 PM
I know too many people that just give away pets when it gets hard. Right now I have 3 cats that are mine and one I took in from someone else because they didn't want her anymore. She's much healthier and happier now. But the same person is also leaving another cat behind because he's acting weird.

I just don't understand people.

Mandi
03-31-2007, 01:02 PM
I tried to read this this morning, I started crying, and couldn't finish. After reading the whole thing, wow. It's so sad.

babydoll2008
03-31-2007, 05:12 PM
some people make me sick with the way they treat animals... My boyfriend wants to move to Alberta and i want to go with him but the more i think the more i keep telling him ' no i can't leave Domino behind' he hates me saying that he gave up and is waiting for me to get a truck and trailer so i can drive out and still have my horse. he may be a little on the no good side but he is my first horse and he will be around forever.. A few people have asked me what i am going to do with him? if im going to keep him and etc. i told them you can't give up your child, and im going to keep him till im 50 or older because by the time im 50 he will be 24 and close to the end of his life witch i do not want to think about. The day my dad told me i had to put my dog down i cryed and ignored it i knew it was time but i thought if i can get him moving lose some weight and eating better he might hold on longer.. he lived for 7 more months that when i had to call my boyfriend and get him to help me pick the 175 pound dog off the floor what hurts me even more about that day wasn't lifting him up and having to yell at his for trying to bite my boyfriend..it was walking into the ARl and hearing dogs barking and looking down at my dog who looked up at me as if to say its ok. i took the whole thing better then my boyfriend. i sat on the floor for 5 minutes holding my dogs head tight in my arms balling while corey sat there crying the whole way home.it was the hardest thing i ever had to do.. i have the softest spot for animals... i got into a fight last night well tryed to break it up i went to a pet store and looked at the animals i calmed down... when im really upset i like to sit in a barn... the day i have to put domino to sleep im not going to be able to look at him ill say good bye and all and have my friend lead him to the vet while i take and go for a walk.. putting an animal to sleep is hard and sad and that story makes me sick i wnat to adopt every dog from the arl.

dubber
04-03-2007, 02:51 PM
i made the mistake of reading that post while at work.... bit of a bad idea to say the least. but reading that makes me beyond angry as well. my two furbabies are my world, one of them is just 10 months old and the other is 10 years old and i would never push either one of them aside. infact when my husband and i were still living in apartments it was extremely difficult to find one that would take our 10 pound mini schnauzer so we did live in some apartments that were below our standards but we did it because we wouldn't dream of giving her up just to improve where we lived. now, we live in a house mainly because we wanted to give her a place with a yard and that was quieter, basically we bought our house for our dog and then we added to our family with our Staffie. and these two furbabies are my life, i feel like a bad mother every morning when i leave them to go to work and keep teasing my husband that when he gets a good job i'll be a stay at home mom for them! Of course this may sound silly to a few people, but in my eyes these are also the people who would get rid of their furry child just because they don't "fit" in their life anymore and to them i ask, if your skin baby became too much to handle or they didn't fit with what you wanted to do, would you give them up?

Rae_Maill
04-03-2007, 03:10 PM
I read this a couple of days ago and had to close the window, I turned away from the computer with tears streaming down my face, i do not understand how someone could just abandon something they thought of as a baby. I hope to never have to meet anyone coldhearted enough to do this to someone who loves them so much.

Lisa_morris
04-03-2007, 03:23 PM
I just found a home for my dog. I miss her like crazy but I know she is better off. I started looking for a home for her and made sure I found the right one, and they know if ever they cant take care of her they can call and Ill take her back. She is happy now, she isnt in an apartment but has a large back yard in the country to play in, I know I sdid the right thing, bring her to the shelter was never an option and this story just broke my heart and made me think of her.

care1978
04-07-2007, 10:58 PM
well that is a real tear jerker! so sad yet so true at the same time, animals are so very loyal.... people could learn alot from them. :(

jesslynn86
04-08-2007, 12:33 AM
that was so sad.. i hated it... :(
we have a 5 month old and a beagle. mia ( our beagle) loves our lil boy she knows not to go near his face. she loves licking his toes. anyways thought i'd share these cute pix

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/jesslynnsmet/th_deacmia.jpg (http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/jesslynnsmet/deacmia.jpg)
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/jesslynnsmet/th_000041.jpg (http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/jesslynnsmet/000041.jpg)

dally
04-09-2007, 01:29 AM
I recently joined isaintjohn and have to vent for a moment. Someone in my neighborhood just brought home a new puppy probably about 4 or 5 months old. This makes me very sad and mad because now they have 2 dogs. They can't look after the first one who is out 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Stormy winter nights the dog is out roaming the neigborhood. All the neighbors feed him and also have trained him. The owner seems to think the dog has trained himself (Hello!!!). They started to tie him up due to neighbor's complainig but then they take off anywhere between 8 and 12 hours. One time they left in the afternoon by the time they got back in the wee hours of the night we had snow and then freezing rain. I know this dog is used to being outside but I don't feel he should be out for that long and not in those weather conditions without any shelter I have complained but you don't want to know what they said to me. Now there is a new puppy who is being treated the same way.

I'd love to find out who gave them the dog and tell them to come take it back, but that's nearly impossible. Some people seem to think because they live in the country it's ok to let their dogs roam free. I don't care if it's the country or in town they are endangering the dog's life. I have a young dog too I would never think of letting her roam free it scares the hell out of me. We have a fenced in back yard and when she's not in the yard she is on a lead.

If only the owners of the puppy had known this poor little thing wouldn't be here, at least I hope it wouldn't . I'm sure they appeared to be very sensible caring people, if they only knew that the dogs are thrown a few scraps of food everyday out in the yard.
Yes I've made phone calls and no one seems to be interested, do these animals have to be dead frozen in the snow before someone will do something.

Just had to get that off my chest.

Mandi
04-09-2007, 07:53 AM
I recently joined isaintjohn and have to vent for a moment. Someone in my neighborhood just brought home a new puppy probably about 4 or 5 months old. This makes me very sad and mad because now they have 2 dogs. They can't look after the first one who is out 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Stormy winter nights the dog is out roaming the neigborhood. All the neighbors feed him and also have trained him. The owner seems to think the dog has trained himself (Hello!!!). They started to tie him up due to neighbor's complainig but then they take off anywhere between 8 and 12 hours. One time they left in the afternoon by the time they got back in the wee hours of the night we had snow and then freezing rain. I know this dog is used to being outside but I don't feel he should be out for that long and not in those weather conditions without any shelter I have complained but you don't want to know what they said to me. Now there is a new puppy who is being treated the same way.

I'd love to find out who gave them the dog and tell them to come take it back, but that's nearly impossible. Some people seem to think because they live in the country it's ok to let their dogs roam free. I don't care if it's the country or in town they are endangering the dog's life. I have a young dog too I would never think of letting her roam free it scares the hell out of me. We have a fenced in back yard and when she's not in the yard she is on a lead.

If only the owners of the puppy had known this poor little thing wouldn't be here, at least I hope it wouldn't . I'm sure they appeared to be very sensible caring people, if they only knew that the dogs are thrown a few scraps of food everyday out in the yard.
Yes I've made phone calls and no one seems to be interested, do these animals have to be dead frozen in the snow before someone will do something.

Just had to get that off my chest.

:( How can someone do that. My fiance's daddy lives about 10 minutes outside the city and my daughter was sometimes unable to go into his yard because someone thought it ok to let their 2 massive dogs roam around all the time.

Animalsr2bloved
07-05-2007, 09:54 PM
This story is so sad, I can't stop crying :( It reminded me of my 18 year old Lhasa Apso I had to let go to doggie heaven last August. He was very sick and could hardly walk even though we had been giving him medication for some time. I got him when he was 13 years old from someone had him since he was a puppy and was moving out west so was going to take him to the ARL, but I couldn't see this sweet little boy go anywhere but home with me. He lived 5 more wonderful years and gave his other little 4 legged brother and us so much love and affection. I was holding him in my arms and he mustered enough strength to give me one last little kiss at the doctor's office before they inserted the needle into his little arm that took him to a better place without pain and suffering. It was as if he was telling me it was okay, he understood and loved us. We did all that we could do for him, but he had liver disease, cancer and constant urinary tract infections. I will be forever grateful to him for the wonderful 5 years of his life that he allowed us to share in. Dogs truly are not just "pets", they are part of your family and as such, I consider them children.
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i67/solgurl/Pets/47b6cf32b3127cce8eefe3e891b70000001.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i67/solgurl/Pets/ScruffywithReindeerEars2.jpg

sanstu
07-06-2007, 07:56 AM
As an animal lover, it took me three tries before I could read the whole story! If one really wants an eye opener just go to the ARL site. The number of dogs that are turned in because the "owner is moving away" is shocking. Do these owners not understand what responsibility and commitment mean?
I was blessed to have had 19 yrs of unconditional love from my siamese cat Micha, and 14 yrs. with my beautiful Shetland Sheepdog, Casey. They passed away within a year of each other and not a day goes by that I don't think of them. The joy that these two imps brought to my family has helped with the pain of having to say good bye to them.
Just wanted to share.

ksbeckaa
07-06-2007, 09:32 AM
WOW

That is so sad, but it true. There are always so many posts about people moving and not wanting to take their children with fur. I am crying as I type this. If I had the choice to live some place crummy and have my dogs I would, over living someplace fancy that forced me to part from my pets. We do not have children, we have dogs, and they are a huige part of my life. I have a three year old Lhasa that is the love of my life, and a 10 year old poodle that is permanetly attached to my husband.

mizunderstood
07-06-2007, 02:28 PM
well I just don't understand how some people can just give up their fur babies because they are moving... You should have thought of that first! I have 2 cats, a dog, fish and a hamster and growing every day.. lol. and NEVER would I think of giving them away just because I was moving. Having said that I do understand if people are ill and cannot take care of them like they need to be. But just to give them up for no reason is sick.
Just had to share some of my fur babies pics.
http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z101/mizunderstood_2007/?action=view&current=HPIM2704.jpg

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z101/mizunderstood_2007/?action=view&current=HPIM0447.jpg

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z101/mizunderstood_2007/?action=view&current=HPIM2118.jpg