PDA

View Full Version : declawing

missday
03-30-2007, 10:38 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows the age that vets stop declawing cats?
and how much it costs?

bubbles
03-31-2007, 12:24 AM
i just inquired about this on monday for my 2 7yr cats and the saint john animal hosp on the west side said they would do it although they dont like to they will the price was 165 (times 2 for me) and the rothsay ave hosp said they do it and dont see it as being a big deal like some of the other places they had a better price as well of 145 (times 2 for me) and of course the needles have to be up to date and if they are not its 50 for them

missday
03-31-2007, 12:26 AM
Thank you so much

Lemme_LQQK
03-31-2007, 07:48 AM
Missday do you realize that the vet has to break each little finger at the knuckle in order to declaw an animal?

It's a harsh thing to have done to an animal , not to mention the fact that it takes away the animals line of defence.
Not ridiculing you in any way but I shudder when I hear a person talk of having it done to their pet.

Years ago I took my cat in to be spayed , I went to pick her up that afternoon and the nurse told me not to use liter in her litter box for approx 2 weeks but to use shredded newspaper.
I asked why. She said it is a requirement to prevent infection after declawing .

My heart almost stopped and I said "WHAT,my cat was brought in here to be spayed". She looked at me funny , looked at the file , and said "Oh my God, I'll be right back"

Well the long n short of this story is Apparently there was some sort of mix up that day , 2 cats I guess they had the same names.
There was a purbred show cat wwwhich was also a breeder ( the ones with the pushed up nose) that was to be declawed, and mine was to be neutered. Well my baby got both and the breeder show cat was only neutered.

The vet told me he was very sorry about what happened and that he would only charge me half the cost of the neutering.
I can only imagine that the owner of the other cat must have been devastated.
After a bit of LOUD discussion I only paid for her shots she had gotten while there . After reading up on how the procedure was done I swore I would never have that done to a cat.
Never went back to that vet either.

ceg
03-31-2007, 01:00 PM
Declawing is cruel. They literally cut off a piece of the bone. Either accept that your cat may scratch or take the time to train him not to.

The picture on this site shows you just how far back they cut : Declawing (http://www.catcall.org/RP_WebDoc.asp?ttid=50)

babydoll2008
03-31-2007, 05:31 PM
there are things called soft caps or something like that at the pet store u cut the cats nail and slip/glue them on they are better then declawing because if your cat gets into a fight it still as its nails as the caps fall off after a while.

monoke
04-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Please read this before you have that done to your cat

http://www.declawing.com/

michaelsmom
04-02-2007, 06:18 PM
I think people should be able to ask about something without having 14 speaches against it. I had both of my cats declawed and fixed at the same time, was $600 and that included advantage for them. They are both fine and their paws didn't bother them at all. When it comes down to it, should we 'save them' from being declawed so the owners can get fed up with the constant scratching of things and give them away, or get them declawed and they live a long and happy life with their families? Not saying I was ready to give mine away, but I work 12 hr days, who is going to spray them every time they scratch something if I'm not here? Hard to train a cat not to do something while they are home alone

babydoll2008
04-02-2007, 06:44 PM
My cats dont scratch up anything ... but then again they are not always inside and if your cat is an outdoor cat he isnt going to live very long with out claws. he wont be able to climb a tree or anything. if people get mad at the cat y not by it stuff to scratch cats need to scratch stuff its a natural instinct it helps keep there nails sharp how would you like it if some one broke your figures and took out your nails you wouldn't like it to much

ceg
04-02-2007, 07:13 PM
I think people should be able to ask about something without having 14 speaches against it. I had both of my cats declawed and fixed at the same time, was $600 and that included advantage for them. They are both fine and their paws didn't bother them at all. When it comes down to it, should we 'save them' from being declawed so the owners can get fed up with the constant scratching of things and give them away, or get them declawed and they live a long and happy life with their families? Not saying I was ready to give mine away, but I work 12 hr days, who is going to spray them every time they scratch something if I'm not here? Hard to train a cat not to do something while they are home alone There are other options. Like using Soft Paws (http://www.softpaws.com/) instead. I also can't help that I believe that even if you have a low maintenance pet, which cats kind of are because they don't want need to be watched all the time, you should make sure you have the time to spend training it.

Why should the pet have to go through pain cause you feel like you don't have the time or don't want to put in the effort? I'm not saying that's your reason but I'm tired of owners that look for the easy way out. What if a declawed cat gets out? It can't climb or fight. I would rather deal with scratching than knowing my cat is defenseless, or that I had his nails cut off and bones broken because I was too lazy to take the time to train him.

If you don't even have the time to train a pet you probably shouldn't have one, makes it seem like you wouldn't have the time to spend with them either.

maprince
04-03-2007, 12:30 AM
I think people should be able to ask about should we 'save them' from being declawed so the owners can get fed up with the constant scratching of things and give them away, or get them declawed and they live a long and happy life with their families?

Why not just say “Should we ‘save them’ from having their teeth knocked out so the owners can get fed up with constant chewing of furniture and give them away, or remove the dog’s teeth so they can live a long and happy life with their families?”

Before you say it’s not the same thing, a dog and his teeth as a cat and her claws, it is the same thing. You know a cat has claws… everyone knows cats have claws, don’t try to change a cat so you will like her, don’t adopt the cat in the first place if you can’t accept it. Stick with a snake or something to avoid “constant scratching of things”

michaelsmom
04-04-2007, 04:51 PM
Why not just say “Should we ‘save them’ from having their teeth knocked out so the owners can get fed up with constant chewing of furniture and give them away, or remove the dog’s teeth so they can live a long and happy life with their families?”

Before you say it’s not the same thing, a dog and his teeth as a cat and her claws, it is the same thing. You know a cat has claws… everyone knows cats have claws, don’t try to change a cat so you will like her, don’t adopt the cat in the first place if you can’t accept it. Stick with a snake or something to avoid “constant scratching of things”

and again the attack of opinions. It's my choice whether or not to have my cats declawed, just as it is anyone else's, my point was that some one should be able to ask for information without being overwhelmed with the speaches about why you shouldn't do it. I love my cats and I do spend time with them, but they ARE LOW MAINTENANCE. I don't need to sit here and watch them play 14 hrs a day to be a good pet owner. If I did, I would have gotten a dog. It was my choice to get them and it was also my choice to have them declawed. I also got them fixed, their needles are up to date, they get monthly treatments of Advantage so they don't get fleas and are fed a healthy diet. So you can all stand on your soapboxes and preach about not doing it, but others should be able to do what they feel is the best decision for them without being made to feel guilty.

Mandi
04-04-2007, 05:11 PM

Stick with a snake and feed it other animals, yes, that is so much more humane? Or am I the only one who feels this way. Personally, I don't like the idea of declawing, but it's quite frankly none of my damn business if someone chooses to do so! I know there is a doctor in place 400 / hilyard place (im not sure what it is actually) My s.i.l. just took her kitty there, and they were quite good with her, I believe it cost around $90.

missday
04-05-2007, 02:48 AM
Just wanted to thank You all for your opinions. Also thank you for the very few that actually answered my question. The reason that I am thinking of getting my Cat declawed has noting to do with him scratching up furniture as you all asume. my cats have scratching posts. it's actually because if i don't i will end up with a dog with no eyes and the dog gets along with the cat and doesn't try to hurt the cat. Our cat is just moody and and likes to randomly swipe at the dogs eyes. So honestly what would you want a vet bill to have your kitty declawed or a blind bleeding from the eyes dog in pain!
Once again thank you to the people who do not judge and criticize.

bubbles
04-05-2007, 05:48 AM
no prob. I hope you make out ok. Im not sure if im going to get my cats done yet im going to try the soft claws first.

As for the judgemental people who know it all including our reason for getting our pets declawed "too lazy to train them". My cats didnt start to scratch untill they were 2 and i have tried getting them scratching post, spraying them, and i also have put 2 way tape on my furiniture. Nothing will stop them from scratching, they dont do it when im in the room but as soon as nobody is home they sure have a field day.

I guess if you have a pet you should be able to stay home with it and stand by with a spray bottle to save your furiniture!!:rofl:

vanessalynn5484
04-05-2007, 06:52 AM
There are a lot of passionate animal lovers here on isaintjohn. While some may have been rude or accusing, I think a couple people were just making sure you knew the facts. I had no idea what a cat went through when they were declawed until I read a few posts on isainthohn about it.

I'd say if it comes down to the dog loosing his eyes then perhaps you are making the right choice. Either way I am not judging.

Thank you for enlightening me to these facts. If I ever have a cat I think I would look into those softpaw claw covers (I may have the name wrong). I always had cats when I was a kid, but they were always wild or stray ones my grandfather found up at our family cottage so they never were declawed since they liked to play outside. I'd carry the cats around and play with them and never once did they try and bite, hiss, scratch, or anything. I guess we were lucky:biggrin:

Sorry if this is a little rambley-I am exhausted this morning! - completely unrelated note. heh heh

rubycshells
04-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Posting my opinion from MY experience. I have had 3 cats...all of them were declawed. It was done under a vet's care and they were kept as pain free as possible. All this being said...

- my cats were indoor/outdoor cats
- they climbed trees
- caught birds and mice <and brought them home:eek: >
- defended themselves against other animals
- lived very long healthy lives

I agree that when people ask a question, give useful information. If you feel strongly about a topic, post your own thread.

This topic could go all ways...having animals ears cropped and tails docked, shock collars, electic fences, etc.

domarloc
04-05-2007, 05:10 PM
I just want to add Soft Paws are not all they are cracked up to be either. I had them on my cat when she was a kitten and they were great until they started to grow out some. Once this happened she was getting stuck on everything she touched. I woke up in the middle of the night to ungoddly squeals, jumped out of bed to find my cat stuck to my zipper pull on my jacket which had been hanging over the back of a kitchen chair. She had been pulling so hard that she caused her poor little foot to bleed. It was devastating to my children who were also awakened by the squeals and sat and watched in fear and we tried to get her free. Being half asleep and not being able to focus right away it took a few minutes to get her unstuck. This is not the only situation where she got stuck on things but was by far the most traumatic. I cannot imagine what things would have been like had I not have been home to help her. I definetly would not recommend nor use them again. Just my opinion.

babydoll2008
04-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Soft paws are not supposed to be left on your cat very long. When the claw starts to pinch through you take them off cut the nail and put a new one on. my friends cat has them and shes never been cought. Advantage is a great thing to use and does last up to a month but i heard some were that you should us it once every 3-6 months as even though it is gone it still repels fleas for up to that long. i use advantage on my moms cat because it is not as harmful as flea shampoos and revolution, usually by the time shes ready to be treated she is either pregnant or has kittens and before anyone says anything I ASKED MY VET FIRST!!! i use revolution on my two cats because it kills internal and external parasites (fleas,mites,etc.) and they are wormed on a 3 months bases. my cats are not fixed or anything and they are fine.they haven't been to the vet in a while they were when they were kittens and that was for wormer's and revolution thats it.

domarloc
04-05-2007, 07:20 PM
Soft paws are glued on and come off when the nails grow. And I did have the vet tell me that they fall off themselves when the nail grows out enough. I talked to my vet about the problem and he told he had other compaints of the same type of problem with these. He told me NOT to try and pull or cut them off because I could do more harm and that they will come off when they are ready.

I just went back and read the packaging on the soft paws to be sure my info was correct. It states that the soft paws will fall off within 6-8 weeks and replace as neccessary and not to try cut or remove them.

adorabull
04-05-2007, 07:24 PM
Can someone give me the real meaning to animal cruely here???

Its not ok for ppl to declaw there own cat, but its ok for ppl to castrate sheep with elasticbands?

declawing isnt cruelty, all though crontiversial, if it means keeping the cat and not shipping ot off to the ARL who cares. and for peoples actual information they do not break bones the make a tiny incision and remove the claw from the matrix (which it is grown) destory the matrix boom done, its glue that closes the wound not even stitches worthy.Google is great for giving old info. alot of vets dont do it for fear of being "mean"
Why dont you look up T-61 and thats what the local shelter uses to put there animals down. (now thats cruel!)

You want something contriversial what about ear cropping and tail docking???? you want to know how that is done? but thats ok cause it makes them look pretty and it acceptible (personally I dont care if its done or not)

But like someone said to many soapbox sitters, and Babydoll if I may ask, your calling the kettle black having un castrated breeding animals helping the already overpopulated area.

Im sorry, but I couldnt take the ranting anymore, this is a discusion and advice forum not a negitive derogity comments forum, and unless your an expert????? ill rest my case *BG*
BTW Revolution topical is very safe! very expensive but great! its all made by the same place, 2-3 diff ingredients, its all a pesticide, and last for 4 weeks. animals shed dander, looses its effectiveness, especially in summer for dogs who swim alot, then every 3 weeks it should be apllied, and for everoynes info there has been a few reported cases of Deer ticks comming back possitive for lymes disease in the saint John area so food for thought when buying topicals.

End Rant! :0)

babydoll2008
04-05-2007, 08:02 PM
adurabull if i do not want to fix my animals i dont want to fix my animals. i dont have to be told by u about some kettle black thing that i have no idea what you are talking about cause you just rambled on. my moms cat has has 5 litters of kittens. first litter there were 4..two went to my best friend she had them fixed. i keep one but she was sadly hit by a car when she slipped out the back door and the other one was given away and was fixed. her second batch was given to the pet store. 3 were there was 3 1 was given away. her last batch was given away to a girl one died at birth. and now she has a 5 batch. and the only reason why we dont mind her having kittens is because she has beautiful fluffy himilaines and money cats. some are dark orange. not once have i ever had a problem finding a home for these cats and the majority of them have been fixed. the cat population is outta whack from ppl who just let the kittens go instead of finding them a home. docking a dogs tail is done as a puppy and is done by a vet, same with ear crobbing. i dont think i am cruel to my animals because they are not fixed. and btw when ever my friends cats nails pinched through usually she already had one or two off... normally she cuts the nail again and it falls off within a day. castrating a sheep with an elastic band was done years ago it is hardly done now a days and all it does is stop blood flow it is actually not pain full for the animal it is just as pain full as having stiches in your butt hole.

Cherry Pop
04-05-2007, 08:03 PM
I was thinking about declawing my cat last year. After doing much research -on the internet, talking to vets, ARL, pet store employees, friends whose cats were done, friends whose cats weren't done, people who agreed with it, those who didn't and watching a video about declawing cats, I decided not to have my cat declawed and tried "Soft Paws" instead. I loved "Soft Paws". I didn't have any problems with them at all. They were easy to put on and my cat didn't mind them at all. My cat was going through a big scratching phase at the time. The furniture I could handle, my child being scratched I couldn't so that is why I took my time to research and came up with the best decision for me. I'm not at all telling you what to do or saying that declawing is wrong for you to do. I'm just saying make sure you do all your research a head of time and make sure you come to the right decision for you and your family. Good luck!

babydoll2008
04-05-2007, 08:07 PM
soft paws are very pretty too instead of seeing an ugly incision when you cat needs at you you see different colors and are very stylish.

Mandi
04-05-2007, 08:47 PM
adurabull if i do not want to fix my animals i dont want to fix my animals. i dont have to be told by u about some kettle black thing that i have no idea what you are talking about cause you just rambled on. my moms cat has has 5 litters of kittens. first litter there were 4..two went to my best friend she had them fixed. i keep one but she was sadly hit by a car when she slipped out the back door and the other one was given away and was fixed. her second batch was given to the pet store. 3 were there was 3 1 was given away. her last batch was given away to a girl one died at birth. and now she has a 5 batch. and the only reason why we dont mind her having kittens is because she has beautiful fluffy himilaines and money cats. some are dark orange. not once have i ever had a problem finding a home for these cats and the majority of them have been fixed. the cat population is outta whack from ppl who just let the kittens go instead of finding them a home. docking a dogs tail is done as a puppy and is done by a vet, same with ear crobbing. i dont think i am cruel to my animals because they are not fixed. and btw when ever my friends cats nails pinched through usually she already had one or two off... normally she cuts the nail again and it falls off within a day. castrating a sheep with an elastic band was done years ago it is hardly done now a days and all it does is stop blood flow it is actually not pain full for the animal it is just as pain full as having stiches in your butt hole.

No... the pet population is out of whack because people let their cats have five litters in the first place...

babydoll2008
04-05-2007, 08:52 PM
she has had 5 litters within 6 years...yup that outta whack... do you honestly think im going to listen to you and have my animals fixed. you cant do anything about it. you cant call the spca they wont do anything its my choice and it is ppl who just dump cats anywhere that cause the population to go crazy because they are not finding homes for them

babydoll2008
04-05-2007, 08:53 PM
it wouldnt surprise me if someone one here bought a kitten and it was hers.

adorabull
04-05-2007, 11:56 PM
"Her "as in me? I dont even own a cat. your just being childish now for me stating the fact.
Sorry if it offended you, but I also noticed your cats went to pet stores as well?? wow your contricting your self all over the place?? :)

And thats right if you dont want your animals castrated, that is your choice, leaves less hope for the ones at the ARL or SPCA, but then again theyll just buy your at the pets store anyways *wink* did you know money cats are only female?? theres no such thing as a male tri colored cats. And about 10 at the ARL as we speak.:mad:
And the elastic band sheep castrating "they dont do that anymore?" can you state the statistics on that?
As well the docking and cropping, they arent ALL done by vets. ppl use elastic bands and wait for them to fall off.(just like the sheep) Ear cropping well thats a diff story. Unreputible pitbull breeders have used scissors, and still do to this day. Tails are done by using hemostats twisting breaking the 2 tendons and pulled off.
And the sheep thing is painless?? well you can ask your husband bf whatever to put a band around his testicles and let me know how that feels??? any men want to testify to this? HAHA:confused:
Anyhoo done with the childishness, you can have the last laugh if you want it that badly, just making yourslef look kinda uneducated in animals once again I said if you were an EXPERT/PROFESSIONAL then id argue, but I contridcted myslef there now didnt I Hehehe....:rofl:

K definatly end rant so it ill leave room for some possitive advice now....
And sorry for hijacking the thread, but I just couldnt keep it in.

puppyluv
04-06-2007, 07:07 AM
I am pro spay or nueter your pet(s) ( I have seen the photos of dogs & cats tossed into gabage cans ( overflowing I might add) after the needle day or gas day.
•I am anti-declawing
•I don't like an animal left outside all day or night either

•and I don't think any animal should have 5 litters or whatever..and I think it is irresponsible to pas them off to the shelter, the pet store etc. You werent responsible enough to fix your pet, YOU should have to be the one to keep all the animals.

scuddles
04-06-2007, 09:44 AM
I have to say this my cat is declawed ( his original owners had it done, why? I'm not sure). Anyway one thing i notice regarding this compared to other cats is he can't jump up very high. The other thing is the idea of him getting outside. Besides the dangers of getting hit by a car, he has no defense against other animals. I have 2 young children and they know that if they let him escape the house, he doesn't have any chance of defending himself in a fight, nor can he climb a tree to get away. The other thing reguarding kid scratching, if my children get to rough, or he has had enough "playtime" with them he will kick them using his back claws, they hurt just as bad, or will bite them, sometimes both. They know that when he does get rough with them, it means he has had enough and they will leave him alone. Although for the most part they don't maul him and he tolerates them quite well.

Deanie
04-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with declawing your cat. Especially if you have little kids or other pets. I think i'd rather do that than have a child lose an eye......

adorabull
04-06-2007, 01:50 PM
Cats really dont use there front claws for "defence" you ever notice when you play or worse get attacked by a cat, they kick you with there back legs? this is a defence used to tear the underbelly of there oponant(sp)
little tid bit of info.

maprince
04-06-2007, 05:40 PM
my point was that some one should be able to ask for information without being overwhelmed with the speaches about why you shouldn't do it..... So you can all stand on your soapboxes and preach about not doing it, but others should be able to do what they feel is the best decision for them without being made to feel guilty.

Perhaps Missday was unaware of the procedure of getting a cat declawed. I know I was. I might have also considered getting a cat declawed before I read a post on Isaintjohn a few months ago that explained how a cat is declawed. No one was attacking Missday, just informing her of the details and giving alternate suggestions, i.e. Soft Paws. I also never knew about Soft Paws until that same post a few months back. And of course others, such as myself, will also state the reasons we feel claws are essential for a cat besides the fact it hurts them when getting them removed.

domarloc
04-06-2007, 06:14 PM
I am neither for or against declawing I think it your own personal preference. I wouldn`t recommend doing it if it was not necessary but if it means that you are preventing your cat from winding up on the ARL`s doorstep then by all means go for it. But has anyone on here actually talked to a vet about the procedure?? I have.....he told me that that they do not have to break the knuckle that they make a small incision and remove the nail. He also told me that the information that people are getting off the internet is out dated and those procedures are no longer being used. I have had cats that have had claws and others that have been declawed. I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion and it is crazy the way people get nutso when someone asks a question about declawing on this site. I am not recommending everyone go get your cat declawed but if you have a cat that is clawing up your kids and/or your furniture then you need to do something.

Chilkootteacher
04-06-2007, 07:16 PM
Domarloc, wow, your threads are so sensible. I have to agree 100% with you. I have 2 extremely lovable furballs. Both are fixed, declawed & kept inside. The first one scratched so bad that we had her declawed. When we got kitty number 2 from the ARL, we had her done right away. As I read through all the posts, a question that lingered in my mind is does a vet really break their bones? Thank you for answering that. I really don't think that my cats were tramatized nor suffer from lacking front claws. In fact, I don't think kitty number one even realizes she is declawed - she still runs around scratching everything! My house would be shredded if she did! Both of my cats are affectionate, lovable declawed furballs. Just my opinion. But I can appreciate that many people feel differently - my best friend has 3 cats and they're not declawed. Her cats have shredded her living room set and picked her carpet apart. Her daughter has a noticeable scar on her face from being scratched.

missday
04-07-2007, 03:55 PM
I was well aware of how declawing is done when I posted on here that is why I was not asking for information on how declawing is done. What I posted was if anyone new if there was an age limit to have a cat delcawed and how much it costs. As i know vets prices very and I heard that some vets wont do it when the cat is over a certin age. I know people on here love to help out and give info and thats one of the best things about this site! It's just when people start assuming things thats when we get pages of back and forth bickering. Having your cat declawed is done alot different then how it was once done and is alot less painfull as I was told by a vet wendsday.
But honestly any operation that your animal or even a person gets done can be painfull and have complications. I am a huge animal lover I have had all sorts of animals all my life and the last last thing i would ever want to do is put one of my pets through an unnecessary painful operation for no reason. but I Honestly think this is necessary for me it may not be for others and that is fine.

Just my little rant for the day lol

MrsBeasley
04-07-2007, 06:31 PM
As someone who has seen declawing firsthand and participated during many of these procedures, I've kept my opionions to myself. I will not say I am for or against the procedure. I've seen it performed multiple ways and all I can say is depending on where it's done, it's not as brutal as a lot of the articles make it out to be.

Some vets use everyday nail trimmers (sterilized of course) to do the procedure, which by the way doesn't break any bones. In fact it is an actual amputation at the last joint. Other vets will use a scalpel which makes the incisions smaller. Most vets nowadays use glue instead of sutures to close the incisions.

The vets I work with use general anaesthetic, as well as a local anaesthetic to do what they call a "nerve block" which freezes all the nerves going to the toes, we then give both an injectible anti-inflammatory and an injectible narcotic during recovery. Depending upon how painful the animal is the next day additional pain meds may be given but with the local nerve block most don't seem to require it at all.

If somone asks a simple question on pricing, age limit, etc. they don't need to hear a bunch of lectures on the ethics of the procedure, if they wanted opinions on the ethics they would ask for them.

Missday as to the answer to your question, there is no particular age limit to having the procedure done, however each vet may have their own recommendations especially since the level of pain tolerance seems to decrease with age as well as it poses an increased risk for anaesthesia the older the animal is. I hope this answers your question.

babydoll2008
04-08-2007, 04:40 PM
ok sorry there pupyluv. i have only given one litter to the pet store and i know exactly were they go from there ok. i am good friends with the people there and i am in there everyday. as for me leeping all of them yeah let me count that up... that would be 19 cats plus if they had litters.. yeah right.... im not a cat freak... and im not you and adurabull. who evertold you cats dont us there front claws for defence.. you go get in a fight tie your hands behind your back and tell me how u do. they us there back claws for kicking and hold with there front WHEN THEY ARE PLAYING. in all the years i have watched my moms cat attacking people and other animals she always used her front claws. declawing is cruel and inhumane. its like us haveing out hands cut off. and as for everything else you said i think your a little uneducated yourself. you probably haven't even been hands on with animals. read stuff in the other forums i have wrote about me being uneducated. i look after animals 24/7 weather it is sitting up all hours of the night for a long time feeding a baby horse, to saving my neighbors dog.. im not stupid. i have been hands on with vets. and umm people do not us siccors to crop a dog ears and you can't pull off an animals tail with your hands :rofl:you are seriously very annoying and are probably very young yourself.my vet works in the same place as dr.whittle so i find it very funny how you guys say she knows nothing.

adorabull
04-09-2007, 10:23 PM
ok sorry there pupyluv. i have only given one litter to the pet store and i know exactly were they go from there ok. i am good friends with the people there and i am in there everyday. as for me leeping all of them yeah let me count that up... that would be 19 cats plus if they had litters.. yeah right.... im not a cat freak... and im not you and adurabull. who evertold you cats dont us there front claws for defence.. you go get in a fight tie your hands behind your back and tell me how u do. they us there back claws for kicking and hold with there front WHEN THEY ARE PLAYING. in all the years i have watched my moms cat attacking people and other animals she always used her front claws. declawing is cruel and inhumane. its like us haveing out hands cut off. and as for everything else you said i think your a little uneducated yourself. you probably haven't even been hands on with animals. read stuff in the other forums i have wrote about me being uneducated. i look after animals 24/7 weather it is sitting up all hours of the night for a long time feeding a baby horse, to saving my neighbors dog.. im not stupid. i have been hands on with vets. and umm people do not us siccors to crop a dog ears and you can't pull off an animals tail with your hands :rofl:you are seriously very annoying and are probably very young yourself.my vet works in the same place as dr.whittle so i find it very funny how you guys say she knows nothing.

Kim im calling the mods in on this one, I was staing the FACT, I didnt say you were STUPID, just uneducated, I am an animal PROFESSIONAL, and you have noooooooo clue who I am, and what I do for a living, and I can tell you now ive seen more in 1 week than youve seen in your 20 years kiddo. So enough with the childish personal attacks, im sorry I dont cram up post full of useless nonsence. sooooo you can quit anytime now. and I know George Whittle quite well. and im sure your vet would love you talking about her on a public forum without her permission *cough* not giving her very good P.R. and you make no sence really, really you dont.
All your doing is mis infoming others with your jibberish.

Im glad maybe others didnt speed read about how tails are docks, not with your hands...anyways I cant go on my BP is rising :mad:

care1978
04-09-2007, 10:37 PM
can someone tell me about softpaws? prices? how many you get per pkg, etc.... i dont agree with declawing myself. but thats just 1 person's oppinion, i figure to each their own.

domarloc
04-10-2007, 06:46 AM
can someone tell me about softpaws? prices? how many you get per pkg, etc.... i dont agree with declawing myself. but thats just 1 person's oppinion, i figure to each their own.

Don't remember exactly how much I paid for them, but you can get them and all of the information you need at the atlantic veterinary clinic on hte hampton rd.

jennifer25ca2006
05-29-2007, 01:49 AM
I see that someone suggested going to Rothesay Ave. That is where I took my cat to get declawed and fixed and when he got home he was not going to the bathroom. I called them and they were like give it a few days and see he will go. I wont go back there again. Needless to say I went somewhere else and got the help he needed.

sweldo84
05-30-2007, 07:41 AM
Soft Claws Caps are a better alternative to declawing, by far! Veterinarians prefer that if you are having your cat declawed that it be at the same time as their being spayed or neutered, the older you cat is, the more they may charge. Noone likes the thought of the way they do it, and as much as one may think it will save your furniture, you have to be a little less selfish in deciding, and keep in mind that this is potentially your cats life you're deciding about. If you cat sneaks outside, they have no way to defend themselves....they're helpless. Soft claw caps are less expensive, far more pet friendly, and stylish (think of it as a kitty manicure) They come of as the cats claws grow out and you just have them put back on, but with these, your cat will be able to defend itself much better. I hope you take into consideration everything that people are saying....Try putting yourself in your cats shoes...what would you opt for?

shoona
05-30-2007, 12:18 PM
OMG i just read this and i had one of my cats declawed i didnt know thats what they did trust me i will never do that again...:( i feel so bad i dont know what i though they did but that wasnt it...:( :(

kazi
06-20-2007, 04:20 PM
Now I don't say that declawing is for everyone however my darling cat (who just turned 17 this year) needed to be declawed, and not due to the damage to furniture but because of the damage she was doing to me and my brother when we all we little. She use to jump up and latch her front claws into your ears, bite your face while raking your throat with her back claws (She did this quite a few times, and this did not include the damage she did just by clawing us) she would just be sitting there happily purring and you'd bend down to pat her and BAM cat on the face. (There were never any signs of a coming attack, and she could be purring and seeming friendly right up until her teeth/claws sunk into you flesh)

Now I'd also like to say that declawing her did not stop her from biting hard enough to bruise, or swinging her back claws up to try and rake my arms, but it did save mine and my brothers faces (not to mention the faces of my friends and relatives). Only time has done anything to improve her demeanor and even at 17 she still bites me (though almost never hard enought to break the skin) and still even more occasionally a bite or claw intended to deal some serious harm to someone.

Now I feel that my decision to declaw her was far more humane than my parents offer to "get rid of her" (who knows if that ment just taking her out back and well... or giving her away to a family who may have just put her down for being so mean). Anyway I love my cat and despite the scars I would never give her up.

Also I'd like to note my cat is an indoor cat so there was no worry about her not being able to defend herself and if I ever get another cat I wouldn't declaw him/her unless it was another extreme case.