PDA

View Full Version : ARL

mommahas2babies
03-30-2007, 10:20 PM
I know it has been a long time since I adopted from the ARL (about 5 years) but I was interested in getting a dog.. I was checking out the prices and I was blown away... 50.00-75.00 to adopt, then u have to pay for the neutering, the licensing, everything... SO a cute little doggy would cost about 300.00 all said and done...? Or did I miss read that? I know when I adopted my cats I think I paid 60.00-70.00 but that included being fixed and their needles up to date... how come if there is such a need to adopt these animals the cost is soo high? I would much rather adopt from ARL rather than some pet stores that are nothing more than glorified breeding mills....

frylock
03-30-2007, 10:40 PM
I don't think that's unreasonable at all... a $50 to $75 fee is a useful way to ensure the person taking the pet can actually afford to care for it (I can't :biggrin: ). Never know what can go wrong for a pet, like the recent pet food problem, so people need enough extra money to be able to afford vet fees. I've read that the average dog or cat costs about $750 per year to maintain...

And the ARL obviously has to pay for all its costs... the building, insurance, food, etc. I'm sure donations help, but I doubt they would cover everything (especially big costs like insurance).

The other costs are the same or cheaper by going to the ARL.

You actually save money for neutering/spaying by going through the ARL, because the vets give discounts I believe. And an animal should get neutered/spayed whether you are getting them from the ARL or elsewhere...

Same with licensing... you have to pay that no matter where you get the pet.

At least going through the ARL, people can help animals :) instead of like you said, helping breeding mills by going to pet stores

mommahas2babies
03-30-2007, 11:01 PM
I dont know about vets giving discounts on the neutering, I am gonna call on monday about that, I hope they do cause i would much rather adopt from ARL than anywhere, I guess I was just shocked at how much it is going to cost before I really even bring the puppy home... :(

frylock
03-30-2007, 11:16 PM
I dont know about vets giving discounts on the neutering, I am gonna call on monday about that, I hope they do cause i would much rather adopt from ARL than anywhere, I guess I was just shocked at how much it is going to cost before I really even bring the puppy home... :(

I'm pretty sure the ARL has an arrangement with many vets so that you get a discount if you go through the ARL for neutering/spaying, when you are adopting.

Also, about the fees, maybe last time you just got a cat that was already fixed? ($50 for a fixed cat or $75 for a fixed dog)

These are their fees:

Spayed/Neutered Dog - $75.00
Unaltered Dog - $50.00
Puppy - $60.00

Spayed/Neutered Cat - $50.00
Unaltered Cat - $20.00
Unaltered Kitten - $25.00

Other - $20

Unaltered dogs/cats cost less than puppies/kittens, but they need to cheaper to help get them adopted. Lots of people want puppies/kittens, but fewer want older animals.

mommahas2babies
03-30-2007, 11:21 PM
I know when I got my cats they were not fixed, but the ARL included it in the cost, they required that the cat be done before they left the shelter... I just looked at the fredericton ARL site and a dog is - $95.00 ~ Includes:
• Vaccines
• Flea / Worm Treatment
• Spay / Neuter
So how come Saint john doesnt include in price?

frylock
03-30-2007, 11:32 PM
I know when I got my cats they were not fixed, but the ARL included it in the cost, they required that the cat be done before they left the shelter... I just looked at the fredericton ARL site and a dog is - $95.00 ~ Includes:
• Vaccines
• Flea / Worm Treatment
• Spay / Neuter
So how come Saint john doesnt include in price?

Well, SJ does include this:

• Vaccines
• Flea / Worm Treatment

So while Fredericton charges $95 for a fixed dog/cat, they are cheaper in SJ.

Unfixed dogs in SJ are $50 + I don't know, $75 for fixing? So $125 vs. $95 is not a big difference, when a fixed dog is $20 cheaper in SJ.

frylock
03-30-2007, 11:34 PM
Fredericton is also more expensive for cats and others:

Cats - $70.00

Small Animals -
• Rabbits - $70.00 ~
Includes: Spay / Neuter
• Guinea Pigs - $10.00
• Hamsters - $5.00

SJ is cheaper:

Spayed/Neutered Cat - $50.00
Unaltered Cat - $20.00
Unaltered Kitten - $25.00

Other - $20

mommahas2babies
03-30-2007, 11:46 PM
Thanks.. I am trying to see what options are out there... We are looking for a very small dog to add to our family and having a hard time finding one that fits our needs and our budjet... And I absolutly refuse to buy from the pet stores...

new424
03-31-2007, 05:52 AM
If you use one of the vets that are part of the ARL Program the costs to spay/neuter are:
Female dog spaying fee$109.25
Male dog neutering fee$92.00
Female cat spaying fee$86.25
Male cat neutering fee

$51.75

Here is the list of vets that are in the program:
All Creatures Veterinary Hospital1216 Sand Cove Rd. (506)635-4102Atlantic Veterinary Hospital</SPAN>125 Hampton Rd.(506)847-2400Avenue Animal Hospital507 Rothesay Ave.(506)633-1885Fairvale Animal Hospital 1 Campbell, Rothesay(506)847-7519Fundy Animal Hospital.3 McLean Street(506)634-8680 Main St. Veterinary Hospital. 329 Main St. Fredericton(506)444-0000River Valley Veterinary Clinic Grand Bay (506)738-3306Saint John Animal Hospital700 Manawagonish Rd(506)635-8100Saint John Animal Hospital 229 Churchill Blvd. (506)633-4191Sussex Animal Hospital 11 George Street, Sussex (506)832-2056Dr. R.A.Alexander Veterinary Clinic Main Street, Saint John, NB (506)634-8332Oromocto Veterinary Hospital Ltd. 225 Restigouche Road (506)357-8880Mayfield Veterinary Clinic 1 Happy Valley Lane, St. Stephen(506)466-2543

Juls
04-11-2007, 08:36 AM
I got my cat at the ARL and the above vets give you a discount on the fixing plus your first checkup is free. :)

puppyluv
04-11-2007, 08:50 AM
Both of my dogs had the fee of spaying/nuetering included in their price. So what I paid (150 max) included the care they got at the ARL, the food they ate, the checkup, and the spaying.) ANd that meant I helped save 2 lives :)

ps..I got my big fella on a Friday....he was schedualed to be put to sleep on Monday

tag
04-11-2007, 08:58 AM
and she loves me sooooo much!
................... oh..
you're talking about the dog........

we love HIM sooooooooo much.

mcelman
04-26-2007, 01:31 PM
It does not cost $300 to adopt a cat or dog from there
The fee that you pay includes needles and spaying/neutering.
It is much less to adopt an animal from the ARL than it is to get a cat/dog and then take them to the vets. The vets offer a discount to the ARL
by us adopting thru them.

call for details 642 0920 (ARL)

jdcb
04-26-2007, 07:27 PM
fee is a useful way to ensure the person taking the pet can actually afford to care for it

I'm not saying this to you, but everytime I see someone make that arguement, I think it is one of the most stupid reasons I ever heard. Cuz it usually follows by (some problems with animals can cost hundreds or thousands of dollars). So maybe the true test is to charge $2000 per pet, just to see if they really can afford it. If it were the true reason, then they would get the $50-$75 back if the pet actually got sick. That way it would truly be a deposit/test, not the adoption fee that it is. I see it as nothing more than a justification.

puppyluv
04-26-2007, 07:39 PM
Let's look at what the fee covers. The altering of the animal. The care it recieved while at the shelter ( and medical if it needed it) the food, the building etc. ARL is a nonprofit program, and they dont make money off the animals. Pet stores make money. They (store in town) doesnt give a patootie if you can care for the animal down the road. All they want to be sure is that you can pay for the animal.

jdcb
04-26-2007, 07:41 PM
don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with the fee, just the explanation of why... I know and can guess at what the fee is spent on, just don't like that justification much...

puppyluv
04-26-2007, 08:22 PM
I dont understand, you dont like it...why? it does add up to me. Anyone who has a pet and takes care of it properly knows they cost more than a few pennies. Or am I missing the boat here on the point JD?

jdcb
04-26-2007, 08:41 PM
the point is saying the reason for the fee is to find out whether you can actually afford an animal seems like a cop-out to explain the fee instead of attibuting it to operating costs and animal care...

puppyluv
04-26-2007, 08:48 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhh

harbourchick07
04-29-2007, 05:48 PM
I dont understand, you dont like it...why? it does add up to me. Anyone who has a pet and takes care of it properly knows they cost more than a few pennies. Or am I missing the boat here on the point JD?

puppyluv, i would have to say outta you and Jd what you are saying makes more sense i really do not understand JD. Yes it cost more then a few pennies to look after animals. It cost me well over a thousand just to look after my cats for a year, thats only my two, then there is my moms cat (the pig as we call her) and the rest of the other animals. (cat litter, toys, food (hard and soft) and treats for the cats also blankets and dishes. shavings toys food water bottles treats and chew toys for the mice and guinea pigs. and then Dog food, bones, collars leashes, bowls, blankets etc. ) then there are vet bills ( my horse cost me 500 dollars yesterday (all the stuff i bought him last night plus board lol) Puppy luv your right owning an animal is a lot of care and money and even if you dont have a lot of money and you have pets (like me ) they should always come first (and they do ).

puppyluv
04-29-2007, 06:10 PM
HarbourChick, I alwasy say I could NOT afford children..the 2 legged variety. I have no money left over at the 4 legged variety! Hahahaha

adorabull
04-30-2007, 08:42 PM
just to spay a dog is 220 bucks, so you do the math on that one.

jow blow not from the shelter 200 some bux
ARL adoption.... CHEAP!

harbourchick07
04-30-2007, 09:30 PM
the way i see it if you do everything right, nothing is expensive. get your cat or dog fixed ASAP and you dont have to worry about a million little mouths and the cost of it as the get older :) if you have a little pet like a hamster, instead of buying little bags of shavings buy a big bag, they last longer and are cheaper!. People say 'oh you must have money you own a horse" well i dont have money i have just learned how to work with everything and keep it cheap.30 dollars every 3 months for his feet (10 dollars a month that i have to save, i dont shoe him as it is costly and can cause lameness) I buy a bag of grain and he gets it when i go up (usually he gets grained 3 times a day if i am up there) my cats i buy a big bag of cat food, litter etc. same with my puppy and my guinea pig. the bigger the bag of the stuff the cheaper. Even though it may be close to 30 dollars that 30 dollars less that you have to spend. Really think about it. My friend thought me that lessen lol

vanessalynn5484
04-30-2007, 09:41 PM
the way i see it if you do everything right, nothing is expensive. get your cat or dog fixed ASAP and you dont have to worry about a million little mouths and the cost of it as the get older :) if you have a little pet like a hamster, instead of buying little bags of shavings buy a big bag, they last longer and are cheaper!. People say 'oh you must have money you own a horse" well i dont have money i have just learned how to work with everything and keep it cheap.30 dollars every 3 months for his feet (10 dollars a month that i have to save, i dont shoe him as it is costly and can cause lameness) I buy a bag of grain and he gets it when i go up (usually he gets grained 3 times a day if i am up there) my cats i buy a big bag of cat food, litter etc. same with my puppy and my guinea pig. the bigger the bag of the stuff the cheaper. Even though it may be close to 30 dollars that 30 dollars less that you have to spend. Really think about it. My friend thought me that lessen lolSo does this mean you got your cat fixed?

harbourchick07
04-30-2007, 09:47 PM
we managed to get my big black male fixed , yes. The female still has to wait she is still nursing her kittens, and the orange tabby hasn't been in long enough to get him into the vet. Hopefully in about 3-4 we will have him done. We have gotten the puppy her second set of needles as well.