PDA

View Full Version : Direct Elections

atlanticaparty
03-30-2007, 11:02 AM
Should we be able to vote for our leaders?
That is, should we vote directly for Prime Ministers/Premiers in a separate ballot on Election Day?

kaj27
03-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Why don't you make all these insane questions in one thread?

And my answer is no. All your questions seem to be trying to get Canada out of the current form of Government.

oasis
03-30-2007, 06:36 PM
Nothing wrong with that. Change can be a good this. If a system has flaws why not try to change it.

I believe you should vote for who you want in government. And that doesn't always mean that if I vote liberal that I like the liberal leader. I like the candidate I voted for. I'd love to vote for Prime Minister separately from the local candidates.

vanessalynn5484
03-30-2007, 06:51 PM
Why don't you make all these insane questions in one thread?

And my answer is no. All your questions seem to be trying to get Canada out of the current form of Government.

There does seem to be some sort of political agenda going on here on Isaintjohn these days....

oasis
03-31-2007, 11:34 AM
I do not see a political agenda. Just people curious about peoples feelings towards our current government and policies.

trinity
03-31-2007, 03:29 PM
Well for sure, I mean sometimes I end up voting for a candidate I don't like, just to keep my vote from going to a party leader I don't like. Like what if Norm Macfarlane was running as the Liberal candidate? That's a catch-22 situation, I probably would just not vote. I can't cast my vote for the Conservatives as long as Harper is their leader, and I can't vote for the NDP because for the most part, that's a wasted vote unless the local candidate is a strong force and not a wing nut. (I've met Allison Brewer)

girdy
03-31-2007, 04:22 PM
I do not see a political agenda. Just people curious about peoples feelings towards our current government and policies.

The AtlanticaParty, is a political party with a website whose tag line is "A provincial political party in Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador"

The posts by AtlanticaParty are completely a political agenda, there have been no other posts by this id, other than in the threads the person started on election reform.

I don't see anything particularly worng with that, just be aware that the threads are entirely political.

atlanticaparty
04-01-2007, 10:47 AM
The AtlanticaParty, is a political party with a website whose tag line is "A provincial political party in Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador"

The posts by AtlanticaParty are completely a political agenda, there have been no other posts by this id, other than in the threads the person started on election reform.

I don't see anything particularly worng with that, just be aware that the threads are entirely political.

True, the posts are of a political nature.

We have a number of reforms that we advocate, such as directly electing the Premier. The posts to this forum are earnestly intended to create provocative discussion and debate on issues that we feel (and hopefully you do as well) are vitally important to all of us. Through each thread we learn and you learn.

vanessalynn5484
04-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Still all replies will be aiding in a political agenda,is that true?

atlanticaparty
04-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Still all replies will be aiding in a political agenda,is that true?

Directly? No.
This debate is not a focus group for policy development, all of our policies and positions were made public just over a month ago. We have no intentions of altering them since they are all good ideas and well thought out. We don't use feedback to these questions to fill in the blanks on our policy manual.

Indirectly? Perhaps.
By raising these political issues for discussion we are drawing people's attention to them and causing them to think about them. By having a debate it causes ideas to circulate. I suppose that could be considered an agenda.

vanessalynn5484
04-02-2007, 04:44 PM
It just doesn't sit well with me that these "debates" are benefiting your cause yet you are not spending the time and money it takes to moderate them. :p

girdy
04-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Directly? No.
This debate is not a focus group for policy development, all of our policies and positions were made public just over a month ago. We have no intentions of altering them since they are all good ideas and well thought out. We don't use feedback to these questions to fill in the blanks on our policy manual.

Indirectly? Perhaps.
By raising these political issues for discussion we are drawing people's attention to them and causing them to think about them. By having a debate it causes ideas to circulate. I suppose that could be considered an agenda.

If you have no intention of adjusting your policies and positions based on what the people here say - it sounds like all you're looking to do is get free advertising.

A political party that's not interested in hearing what the people have to say, is not one that is ever going to get my vote.

atlanticaparty
04-03-2007, 09:26 AM
It just doesn't sit well with me that these "debates" are benefiting your cause yet you are not spending the time and money it takes to moderate them. :p

Well we spend the time to 'moderate' all the topics we start, that is we stick with them interacting with people until interest ceases. Do we spend money? No, but our posting activity generates interest and traffic from which the forum derives ad revenue. Presumably the forum must be a net positive else it would not exist.

atlanticaparty
04-03-2007, 09:29 AM
If you have no intention of adjusting your policies and positions based on what the people here say - it sounds like all you're looking to do is get free advertising.

A political party that's not interested in hearing what the people have to say, is not one that is ever going to get my vote.

Not at all. We just wanted to make clear that we had a comprehensive platform existing before coming to the forum so that people did not think we were 'using them' for ideas.

We invite anyone to take on any of our positions and show us that the position needs improvement or deletion.

vanessalynn5484
04-03-2007, 10:32 AM
Actually to my knowledge the site has 3 moderators the overworked admin, puppyluv, and jdcb. They are the ones who will spend the time keeping an eye on your political discussions.

You are a political party and you shouldn't be able to use a free forum to further your agenda. It's nothing personal....I'd feel the same about any other party doing the same thing! Purchase advertising and help support the site! :p

Well we spend the time to 'moderate' all the topics we start, that is we stick with them interacting with people until interest ceases. Do we spend money? No, but our posting activity generates interest and traffic from which the forum derives ad revenue. Presumably the forum must be a net positive else it would not exist.

atlanticaparty
04-04-2007, 10:48 AM
Actually to my knowledge the site has 3 moderators the overworked admin, puppyluv, and jdcb. They are the ones who will spend the time keeping an eye on your political discussions.

I appreciate your help. I hope we have not caused any trouble for the mods, (I am a mod myself).

You are a political party and you shouldn't be able to use a free forum to further your agenda. It's nothing personal....I'd feel the same about any other party doing the same thing! Purchase advertising and help support the site! :p

Honestly, our agenda is the common good, not a partisan good. And the common good is served by circulating new and interesting ideas.

Purchase advertising? Actually we might sometime in the future.